This Catch & Spin module at Evonik 2019 seems to be having some issues:

640x575.jpg

The yellow guy does one of 3 things:

It either tries to grab the ball and misses, with the hands ending up above the ball like you can see here.

Or it squeezes the ball so hard it fires off into the bucket.

Or it grabs the ball properly.

You can see it in action here (9m27s):

I would detension the yellow one.  For mine, I would start at a low setting and tension them until I noticed that they would drop slowly, then back off a bit.

-Brian

Edited by BrianGT

I have had great fun building GBC especially Akiyuki stuff.  However I have realised having a 5 year old son who wants to destroy these modules as fast as I can build them doesn't mix so I think my GBC days are over.  I have quite a large collection that I am looking to sell.  So my question is would it be appropriate to post here what I have for sale as it is mostly Akiyuki modules?

I would make your own thread, like Blakbird did.

Then link that thread in a single post here.

I decided to jump into the Akiyuki Ball Cleaner project with 2 hands and get it done. It won't be an exact copy but draw on the ideas, concepts and inspiration.  The main functions are sorted out (what held the build back)  I have mapped the process functions which really helped. It could actually run 100% mechanical however I am probably going to use Boost/Powered up to control the over functions acting as the smarts to activate the PF motors (2x servo, 1x M-motor and 1x L-motor) and the Pneumatic valves. The pneumo portions of the build has also been updated  with the new valves and making use of the 6L cylinders (far cheaper). The ball grippers are also lighter and simpler using the rubber dampeners. The plan is for all of the components to be separate builds that attach to the main frame (modular approach) 

There is still a lot of work to go, but it is a good challenge. 

IMG20190608230916.jpg

IMG20190608230913.jpg

IMG20190608230924.jpgIMG20190608230935.jpg

Video: https://www.bricksafe.com/files/HRU_Bricks/bonus-builds-future-videos--build-in-progress/VID20190608230750.mp4 

Impressive! I'm almost tempted to buy a Boost and also start building if it weren't for the fact that I want to keep all my modules mechanical :)
May be open up a separate thread, gather all info on the Ball Cleaner and continue with your next version like I did with the the Ball factory.

Thanks @Berthil and @Ankoku.

The boost and Powered up line is worth having a look at. It does open up other possibilities with GBC and mechanical control. With regards to the cleaning machine it will actually be able to operate as a mechanical unit (without boost) so you can still put it on your build list @Berthil. The boost will control the overall function on and off depending on if there is balls available which will hopefully save on batteries during Lego shows. There is a thread specifically for the Akiyuki Mindstorm which has the Cleaning Machine so that is the next posting point :-). It might be worth a it's own thread. 

Edited by HRU_Bricks

Hi All, I have made a specific thread for GBC cleaning machines with the main topic being the Akiyuki build here is the link. @Juroen and @drullph20it would be great if you could post your experiences of the cleaning machine build over there

Edited by HRU_Bricks

On 4/20/2019 at 7:57 AM, Ankoku said:

Does anyone actually have the LDraw files or equivalent of the Akiyuki modules? I was going to edit the Catch & Release one with my mods. There doesn't seem to be files for it though. e.g. Blakbird did the instructions and renders etc. but someone else did the LDraw file and the site they hosted that on is now gone.

Feel as though we should be storing all of them somewhere.

there are some on bricksafe

Thanks. Is there any of the Ball Factory v2? Basically, I want to edit it and put my fixes in there.

1 hour ago, Ankoku said:

Thanks. Is there any of the Ball Factory v2? Basically, I want to edit it and put my fixes in there.

just had a look but no luck

Originally posted by @djm in the General GBC Discussion thread. Thought I would post it here too.

Couple of interesting bits of note.

Wheel & Steps has seemingly gained a modification. You now have 2x transparent Panel 1 x 4 x 3 with Side Supports - Hollow Studs.

Also trying to work out if there is something amiss in the instructions for the Catch & Release module. I ended up heavily modifying mine, but I feel as though much of that may have been unnecessary, as I suspect that the structure at the back is connected to the base at the wrong height. I think it is 1 plate out, which would explain a lot. In my version, I shortened the grabbers by half an axle length, but it is slightly OTT. Raising it by 1 plate thickness seems far better. Could possibly be quite an easy fix too. I am concluding this, as when you watch this video, you don't hear the tapping you do on the instructions version. The grabbers only just press against the base, rather than pressing quite a bit.

Looks like I won't be editing the MPD files in Stud.IO.

800x433.jpg

Tried both v1 and v2, both appear like this.

Will see if that loads any better than the Catch & Release module. I can see me installing the appropriate software instead though.

9 minutes ago, Ankoku said:

Will see if that loads any better than the Catch & Release module. I can see me installing the appropriate software instead though.

At the end of 2015, when building the Ball Factory, I used Blakbird's 3D/MPD file to see the model from some different angles, was quite useful sometimes. 

At that time I was still using MLCad, so that certainly works for this specific file. In the meantime I also switched to Stud.io, but have to agree it doesn't always load the slightly older LDraw files correctly.

Yeah, if I mod them, I will re-up the modded 3D models.

I am guessing with Stud.IO it has element cross mapping issues. e.g. elements in some LDraw etc. files have different IDs for elements and thus you end up with it trying to draw one element as if it was something else.

Looking at it, it feels as though if it can't find the correct element, it seems to default to a 2x2 plate and thus things get weird. It should really throw up a prompt or something to let you know it is having issues mapping.

The joys of bent LEGO in the world of digital.

640x311.jpg

Digital designers really aren't very Technic friendly. Where everything is at random angles, it is a nightmare.

Here you can see that it is impossible to span the gap of the ramp without bending some LEGO. Since you can't really do that in digital designers, it just leaves you with something rather messy looking.

For someone who is slightly OCD, having collision issues everywhere is a bit of a nightmare. And no, switching collision detection off isn't any help.

Getting there, even though it doesn't all line up properly.

640x360.jpg

This is basically just the original instructions recreated in Stud.IO. Next version of it will include my fixes.

The version after that will have my hopper changes, to stop balls from taking up residence there.

Final version will use the new drive mechanism that Akiyuki is using.

As for the hoses, screw them!