Good battery modification - I don't have a rechargable but noted that the orange train has the AA battery box  better installed than the instructions I followed.
I tried it before but just rotated the battery rather than inverting, result the PF plug fouled the trigger arm kept so went back to original.
Now changed as per your orange train and wires tuck away much better.

Re Rotary dumper - working on an alternative version, if can work out gear ratios correct for the trigger arm.
Tried a worm drive with 8:1 which gave steady rotation but too slow so back to 3:1 ratio. 

Edited by Doug72

On 24/05/2018 at 3:27 PM, Berthil said:

Thanks for posting this images would it be possible to shoot one more detail image of this piece from above. I'd like to see the construction of this part to check that I've got it right. I'm having issues getting the angle correct to catch the ball and avoid the antennas. I'm also having problems with the tubing putting pressure on the mount and bending it outwards.

27453410237_b61cf08a5e_c.jpg

6 hours ago, plingboot said:

Thanks for posting this images would it be possible to shoot one more detail image of this piece from above. I'd like to see the construction of this part to check that I've got it right. I'm having issues getting the angle correct to catch the ball and avoid the antennas. I'm also having problems with the tubing putting pressure on the mount and bending it outwards.

The construction at the bottom prevents the arm te be bend too much outwards by the hoses. But also pre bending the hoses in the desired shape helps there.

@Blakbird do you still have your crane loader module? if so have you or anyone else who has done this one been able to make it run on the v2 train? i would like to build the crane but i only have the v2 train at this stage

Rotary Dump - Doug’s MOD - stage 2 and success.

On 23/05/2018 at 1:46 PM, Berthil said:

I believe that is the most challenging part and the reason for the current mechanism. But it's looking good, I hope you succeed!

On 23/05/2018 at 5:32 PM, Jonas said:

Good luck in your attempt!

It is a big challenge to replace Akiyuki's cam mechanism. This clever mechanism plays several important roles:

- it fixes the position of the platform during the car arrival and departure,

- it stops the rotation of the platform while allowing the trigger mechanism to complete its loading before it fires,

- it works as a timer to allow for a short delay between the car arrival and the start the of the rotation.

After a lot of trial and error have finally got my version succesfully working, without the need for a dwell mechanism.

It takes 21 revolutions for 24T gear driven by the train car 8T gear to rotate the whole dumper unit 1 rev.
The trigger mechanism has only one lobe to trip the reverser bar.

Thus I had to get a 21:1 reduction to drive the trip in sync. & took a lot of brain storming to come up with a solution.
Finally found a solution in the book by Isogawa - Power function : Machines & mechanisms which shows a 21:1 gear reduction unit.
This achieved by using a Z56 turntable as the final gear driven by an 8T gear giving 7:1.
Output from train unit is 8/24 giving 3:1. 
3 x 7 = 21. so as track lines up after dumping trigger releases the train car and dumper stops rotating.
Easy to syncronise just by sliding out the 8T gear and adjusting the position of Z56 gear ring.
Cannot get out of sync or have slipping gears.
At first train car would not exit - so had to add another section of 4L rack plus a extra flat tile to ensure exit. see photo.

A bit more tidying up required and a better support structure for the static 21L double gear ring

42467599442_370ac32261_c.jpg

27648958657_026aef5f62_c.jpg

28646090718_b3a9ff562e_c.jpg

More details tomorrow along with more photos and possible a video.

Edited by Doug72

Rotary Dumper MOD by Doug - update and action video.

Now fine tuned this and after some issues with the train on board trip bars is working OK.
No longer need the thin spacers to set the trip mechanism and the empty gap is filedl using a 1L bush nor is a dwell mechanism required.

The rotation of the dumper and the trip system once set are locked together and cannot get out of step. Two 20T gears rotate the dumper with two more for support.

If train does fail to leave (due to a sticky trip bar) it will go around again and try again. So far has achieved repeatability test  OK- see video
As soon as dumper is in the correct position the train leaves and dumper stays in correct position for next train to arrive and and start the next cycle.

Had a problem with the anti reverse prawl not catching - this was due to an over long axle stopping it engaging with the 16T gear fully.

If anyone wants any close up images of various parts please ask.

See video of this in action, note for demonstration HOG used to reverse train to enter dumper.

Needs building into a higher frame with an alternative elevator system to raise train up to reach dumper - I have some ideas for that to be revealed later.

End view showing support and drive gears to rotate the dumper.
42534869851_746700946d_c.jpg

Trip mechanism in tripped position.
41632608915_506e4d8e46_c.jpg

Trip mechanism about to trip showing prawl (yellow) holding dumper stationary.
42534869631_4f14174b4b_c.jpg

Underside view.
41632608595_2c240e246c_c.jpg

Edited by Doug72
Corrrect image inserted

1 hour ago, Doug72 said:

Rotary Dumper MOD by Doug - update and action video.

Looks nice. Your system's success rate is much higher than mine. Congratulations!

Now, you really must build also the elevator. You do not need to make it as high as Akiyuki did, though. Just high enough to allow the balls to fall down and move to a place where they can be collected. 

1 hour ago, Jonas said:

Looks nice. Your system's success rate is much higher than mine. Congratulations!

Now, you really must build also the elevator. You do not need to make it as high as Akiyuki did, though. Just high enough to allow the balls to fall down and move to a place where they can be collected. 

Many thanks for your comments - took a lot of head scratching to work out gearing and to get it to work smoothly.

Tried many times to get the cam lock system working but found it too frustrating.

I have been working on an elevator using the new gear rack / housing but lift is only 9L and is not enough.
The mechanism to operate it is based on your turntable module.

Another idea is a scissors lift.

Need to order more 4L racks.

Edited by Doug72

Nice work @Doug72, seems to work very well. Looking forward to a building instruction or will try to reverse engineer when time permits. Thanks!

35 minutes ago, Berthil said:

Nice work @Doug72, seems to work very well. Looking forward to a building instruction or will try to reverse engineer when time permits. Thanks!

Thanks  for your comments,

I have no idea how to make instructiuons.

I could list the changes required with images of parts required if that helps you reverse engineer it.

The mounting of the Z56 turntable and getting the drive from it to the trip arm was the difficult part plus working out the gearing reduction needed.
Also one extra section of 4L gear rack required to ensure train leaves the dumper.
The biggest difference is the double gear rack 21L rings that supports one end.

On 16/11/2015 at 11:11 PM, Blakbird said:

G%$ #@&% it. Thanks to Akiyuki, The Rebricker, and the rest of you &%$*ers, I've now caught the GBC bug and it is going to cost me a lot of time and money.

It all started with Akiyuki. Well, GBC didn't start with Akiyuki, but I was more or less "meh" on the whole concept until he came along. His ingenious mechanical solutions are mesmerizing, perplexing, and wonderful. Although I admired them from the start, I figured there was more or less no chance of me replicating them from the videos, especially since the one I was most interested in was also the most complicated: the ball factory. My involvement therefore remained stagnant (and non-existent) for a couple of years until The ReBricker showed up and proved that you really could reverse engineer the Ball Factory and then went one step further and posted video instructions for the whole thing. "Fine", I thought, "I'll just build that one." A few months of LDraw modeling, part collecting, building, testing, and display case building later I was hooked. It was one of the greatest building experiences I've ever had. This forum has repeatedly wished for a comprehensive set of instructions for the GBC modules of Akiyuki, and I've decided it is my responsibility to help make your dreams come true. With that in mind, I've compiled a list of all of Akiyuki's 28 non-Mindstorms modules with the goal of creating and/or finding complete PDF instructions for as many of them as possible and compiling the resources here. I've made a lot of progress already. Here is the list along with whatever I know about building material available.

(currently 30 of 30 complete)

1. Pinball
  2. Zigzag Stairs
  3. Cup to Cup - Type 1
  4. Cup to Cup - Type 2
  5. Elevator Module
  6. Marble Run
  7. Catch and Release
  8. Ball Factory
  9. Spiral Lift
  10. Pneumatic Module
  11. Archimedes Screw - Type 1
  12. Archimedes Screw - Type 2
  13. Archimedes Screw - Type 3
  14. Zig-Zag Lift
  15. Basket Shooter
  16. Train Module - Type 1
  17. Train Module - Type 2
  18. Wheel and Steps
  19. Step Module
  20. Fork
  21. Six Heads
  22. Bucket Wheel Tower
  23. Lifter Triggered by a Stuck Ball
  24. Spiral Staircase
  25. Tilted Rotors
  26. Invisible Lift
  27. Cycloidal Drive
  28. Fork to Fork
  29. Planets
  30. Strain Wave Gearing

Here's a montage of some of the LDraw work I've done so far which also gives you an idea of the relative scale of the modules:

800x410.jpg
I'm not going to post any actual instruction files until I (or someone else) has tested them by physically building the model and proving that it works. I'm a stickler for accuracy, so I'm trying to get as close to Akiyuki's originals as possible. I already have PDF instructions ready for 4 of them and just need to test them out. As I build each model, I'll post a mini review about what I've learned and then I'll post links to the instructions and parts lists so anyone else can build them too.

(Update: See bulleted list above for which instruction files are currently available.)

As always, help is welcome. If you have successfully built any of these modules and are willing to share your information, please let me know here. In particular, I need LDraw files to make instructions. In a pinch, I can make them myself if you have detailed photos. In an even tighter pinch, I'm making everything myself from the videos, but it is slow going.

Enjoy!

Thanks for hard work on creating instructions for guys like myself that like to build but no imagination but loves to build

have successfuly build a few things f the ones above most actually except the arquimeds screws build Numbers 1 4-6(waiting on hoses)-8(had some trouble with loader spiral one)-15 (diferente only one shooter)-17(couldn’t get it to work properly but will have a go at it again one day)-18-20-21-22-23-25( was getting stuck in middle after a few balls would get stuck)-26.

most worked perfectly others not as good have 9 bilt 

if heve instructions for others that hadn’t been tested I wouldn’t mind having a go a build theme 

again thanks for hard work 

Trying to find the Lego part numbers for the various thin “0” rings (red, blue) used in the train modules by Akiyuki.

Can anyone help.

Elevator Module:

After a couple of false starts finally got it built and working. Had two attempts at devising my own design for an elevator which both failed !

Soon realised it is much more complicated than first envisaged !

Third build followed the Akiuki instructions, which at times were puzzling as what various parts did & functioned, especially the use of a small linear actuator until it was fully built as there are no set up instructions.

Finally built and surprised that it worked OK.

But I like to tinker & fiddle to see if it can improve and had a spell of all sorts going wrong - so back to original design.

As my MOD of the Rotary Dumper module is not as high as the Akiuki design I had to alter the elevator so as it could connect at same height.
Each elevator leg has four 4L racks instead of severn. Linking track unit also altered to suit new height.

Testing:- This was an interesting time due to many crashes !!
In order to test this module I had to rob other train system modules for the 4L gear racks - I have more on order to replace them.

Train unit entered, raised and exited elevator OK but when placed on the track the other way round it failed to rise fully and latch on with train falling back down rapidly.

After a lot of close observations determined it was due to wrong tension of the various “O” rings as I only had 1 blue one and had to use small rubber bands for the other two.
Finally got the tensions correct and both train cars now pass through elevator OK which ever way they are placed on the track.

One other problem, not yet fully resolved is that as the “chocks” release to allow the train car to run on into the rotary dumper there is a pronounced “jolt” as train runs over the depressed chocks and leaves the elevator.

Once the extra gear racks arrive & are fitted I will post a video of the elevator & rotary dumper modules together.

40963628040_c761785a53_z.jpg

Extra bracing added to stop rack legs spreading.

40963626340_20a0bfd8f7_z.jpg

28900825518_14bc579566_z.jpg

Edited by Doug72

Post moved by Doug72 to  [GBC] Akiyuki Train System: mods and improvements topic.

Edited by Doug72

Nice work @Doug72, keep up the good work! I think you need more height to get the balls exit high enough for the next module however.
I still need to start debugging this module after my first and failed tryout at a 3 day event so looking forward to your final (and reliable) module.

I've seen a video of Japan Brickfest 2018 with Akiyuki and I don't think he has the dumper running or it must be in the background that was not on the video.

May be we should open up a separate thread with Akiyuki improvements per machine, this would be a good one to start. For newcomers it's not really tempting to go through 59 pages.

Edited by Berthil

Good job, Dough72.

Berthil: I agree with a separate thread devoted just to Akiyuki's train system.

@Berthil, @Jonas  Thanks for your comments.

Agree your comment about a separate thread for GBC module improvements & MODs. 59 pages is a lot to trawl through.

I have a idea for a MOC low level loader using a reverser module that also changes the track switch, but if dumper too low will be easy to raise it, have enough 4L racks now to increase elevator as well.

Edited by Doug72

This thread started out with Blakbird going into GBCs with reverse engineering the Akiyuki modules (with others) which we all appreciate very much! Meanwhile he has moved away from GBCs and Akiyuki publishes his own building instructions these days. @Doug72, please go ahead and open up a [GBC] Akiyuki Train mods and improvements thread :)

3 minutes ago, Ankoku said:

Would it be worth having an Akiyuki Trains thread? They are kinda a separate beast.

YES PLEASE.