14 hours ago, Doug72 said:

I can download the PDF instructions OK but not the individual instructions - I just get a load of code & my Mac OS asks for an app to open them.

You probably need to download Bricksmith - the complete v3 + LDraw install rather than just the v3 app. Once this is installed you'll be able to open the instruction files.

Once you have a file open you can do a piece count from the Tools menu - which can be exported as a .txt file - pity it can't export a bricklink .bsx file though.

Edited by plingboot

57 minutes ago, plingboot said:

You probably need to download Bricksmith - the complete v3 + LDraw install rather than just the v3 app. Once this is installed you'll be able to open the instruction files.

Once you have a file open you can do a piece count from the Tools menu - which can be exported as a .txt file - pity it can't export a bricklink .bsx file though.

Thanks for the advice - downloaded but my computer will not allow the app to be used as it was not downloaded from Apple Store !!!
I will just use the PDF instructions.

1 minute ago, Doug72 said:

Thanks for the advice - downloaded but my computer will not allow the app to be used as it was not downloaded from Apple Store !!!
I will just use the PDF instructions.

if you [control]+[click] on the application you'll get an alert window which allows you to override that problem and [open] the app. Once you've done this it should open normally from then on.

@plingboot @RohanBeckett Thanks for your help - have managed to download Bricksmith and open it OK.

Its the parts lists that I cannot seem to be able to open. e.g. Parts-Siding.bsx

FYI: I use Mac OS and now on High Sierra 10.13.4

On 10/04/2018 at 9:42 AM, Doug72 said:

Akiyuki Train modules. Type 1 or Type 2 ?

I have started build this after hunting through my Lego spares for enough parts and so far have built the Type 1 motor module.
However I notice that the Type 2 motor module is radically different as are the other type 2 modules in how the motor unit engages with loaders, switches etc.

Which type is better to build and the more reliable ?

I hope to build a simple system first and the add to it in stages.

Also is there any info on how best to route PF cables to avoid snagging ?

Doug72

I've built the type 2 and the new one. That turns over but can't get the cart to work properly spins a lot and the release mechanism don't work properly been twicking it but without success from all that I've built this one  and tilt rotors are the onlyones can't get to work properly from ones I've built think I'll dismantle and start again to see

21 hours ago, Jonas said:

Type 2, definitely, is more advanced and more reliable. 

I have built almost all modules already (recently I am building the last one - the rotating unloader) and it is a perfect and enjoyable build. The instructions - for the first time provided by Akiyuki himself - are clear. Just, follow them carefully, as every detail plays an important role. Akiyuki is a genius and when he uses a specific element he knows why he does it. Almost always, when I had tried some replacements, I found it problematic in later stages.

Some hints:

When building the cart, you need to use the new type of transparent panels (those with the reinforcement). The older panels do not fit the jaws of the unloader.  

Routing the cart PF cables is really tricky as the space is limited and you must avoid conflicts with the side liftarm levers. I spent tens of minutes to find the best way. Just try and test. And whenever you change batteries, you have do it again.

It is good to build 2 carts, definitely. The passing module is a must!

I recommend to start with the basic modules and if you like the system, you can add the more advanced ones. Or, even more, you can start to build your own modules that are compatible with the system. I just made a prototype of a train turntable:

Have you found any mistakes on the rotary dumper????? Just finished that but on page 94 where does the wheel fit??? Top middle or down there a technic part on top that has a black pin and a blue instruction say blue pin black and bottom without so the wheel can go there but doesn't look levelled.... is like that??????

from all I've built this and tilt rotors where the only ones I couldn't get to run...

thanks to all members that make these modules easy to build for guys like me that just love the mechanics of it

thanks

The one thing I found with the v2 train module is that the switch needs to be the version without the friction detents.

When I first built the motor module I couldn't understand why the reverse mechanism wouldn't work and it was only by chance that when I was fiddling around with a spare switch that I noticed it moved smoothly - unlike the one I'd put in the build. 

With the switch swapped it worked flawlessly.

Edited by plingboot

1 hour ago, RohanBeckett said:

@Doug72 Try using Brickstock, to open BSX files:

http://brickstock.patrickbrans.com/

It's quite a good lego inventory system... it's a bit like a custom excel program for parts!

Thanks for that - I have down loaded the app. and now able to view BSX files.

I have started to build the loader but cannot determine which shock absorber it uses as shown on page 50 of the PDF instructions.
Checked inventry file but its not shown.

Unloader file shows two hard spring shock absorbers - is the loader the same.
If so I have plenty from the Unimog set.

1 hour ago, plingboot said:

The one thing I found with the v2 train module is that the switch needs to be the version without the friction detents.

When I first built the motor module I couldn't understand why the reverse mechanism wouldn't work and it was only by chance that when I was fiddling around with a spare switch that I noticed it moved smoothly - unlike the one I'd put in the build. 

With the switch swapped it worked flawlessly.

Thanks for that info. 
i must have choose lucky as I used the old PF switch version has the small change over switch.
New version with out the  c/o switch has the friction dedents.

Edited by Doug72

2 hours ago, Doug72 said:

I have started to build the loader but cannot determine which shock absorber it uses as shown on page 50 of the PDF instructions.
Checked inventry file but its not shown.

Unloader file shows two hard spring shock absorbers - is the loader the same.
If so I have plenty from the Unimog set.

The unloader uses 2 spring shock absorbers (SSA), but the loader has none. There is also 1 SSA in the Reverse unit.

As I had only the soft (black) SSAs at home, I used them in all the modules and they seem to work fine.

Later edit:

Now, I realized that you may use a different set of instructions than me. I use the latest instructions (March 2018) provided by Akiyuki himself, which can be found on his web, e.g. here

Edited by Jonas

2 hours ago, Jonas said:

Later edit:

Now, I realized that you may use a different set of instructions than me. I use the latest instructions (March 2018) provided by Akiyuki himself, which can be found on his web, e.g. here

Yes I have been following the instructions as shown in the GBC index on page 1 of this thread. 
Item 17 Train Module Type 2 by Courbet.
Seems the inventory index do not match the instructions !!

I have now downloaded the link to the Akiyuki website which I will now use.

PS - now got all pdf files I need and I will probably use your turntable module instead of the reversing loop.
Which turntable does it use Z56 or Z60 ?
I will try an reverse engineer it.

Thanks for your help.

Doug

Edited by Doug72

PS - now got all pdf files I need and I will probably use your turntable module instead og the reversing loop.

Which turntable does it use Z56 or Z60 ?
I will try an reverse engineer it.

I used the older one, with teeth inside (which are not utilized, though).

I am going to prepare instructions in LDD but it may take a couple of days. So, be patient, please.

Edited by Jonas

3 hours ago, Jonas said:

I am going to prepare instructions in LDD but it may take a couple of days. So, be patient, please.

Great, I have no idea how to make instructions. Now re-built motor module using correct instructions and sorting out parts for next module.

On ‎12‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 2:48 PM, Doug72 said:

Yes I have been following the instructions as shown in the GBC index on page 1 of this thread. 
Item 17 Train Module Type 2 by Courbet.
Seems the inventory index do not match the instructions !!

The inventory files I provided matched the instructions I did last year for Akiyuki's latest train.
The shock is there in the loader inventory. It is described as a soft one (as all black are).

Now all this is of course obsolete thanks to Akiyuki's own instructions.

15 hours ago, Courbet said:

The inventory files I provided matched the instructions I did last year for Akiyuki's latest train.
The shock is there in the loader inventory. It is described as a soft one (as all black are).

Now all this is of course obsolete thanks to Akiyuki's own instructions.

Thanks, for the explanation.

So far unable to find the full inventory for Akiyuki,s latest version, can anyone post a link to it ?

Sourcing parts plus black shocks as only have yellow  shocks from unimog set.

Edited by Doug72

As far as I know he didn't provide any, which is a pity since it is so easy to generate one once you have your model in LDraw form.

So far unable to find the full inventory for Akiyuki,s latest version, can anyone post a link to it ?

I am afraid that you will have to pick up the elements manually from Akiyuki's PDF files. I did it in the same way. Unfortunately, I have no lists because I just looked for the elements that I had not had in my supply. The 'full inventory' will also depend on which modules (and in what numbers) you decide to build. Be prepared that the 'full inventory' will be quite large (and expensive), comparable to the biggest sets from TLG. So, be prepared for rather large costs. But the build is a wonderful process.

21 minutes ago, Courbet said:

As far as I know he didn't provide any, which is a pity since it is so easy to generate one once you have your model in LDraw form.

Just now, Jonas said:

I am afraid that you will have to pick up the elements manually from Akiyuki's PDF files. I did it in the same way. Unfortunately, I have no lists because I just looked for the elements that I had not had in my supply. The 'full inventory' will also depend on which modules (and in what numbers) you decide to build. Be prepared that the 'full inventory' will be quite large (and expensive), comparable to the biggest sets from TLG. So, be prepared for rather large costs. But the build is a wonderful process.

Thanks for the info.
I have built a motor car, and WIP on loader, reverser & unloader modules to start with to see how they perform before building a through module.
I will add rest in stages with another motor unit and a siding module.

I have ordered parts to build these but unsure which shock absorbers I need to order for the reverser and unloader moudules.

12 minutes ago, Doug72 said:

.. but unsure which shock absorbers I need to order for the reverser and unloader moudules.

I used the soft (black) ones in all the modules and they do their jobs OK.

22 minutes ago, Jonas said:

I used the soft (black) ones in all the modules and they do their jobs OK.

Thanks, I have found black with normal spring on Brickowl but none with soft spring which also are not available seperately anywhere.

The yellow shocks with hard spring that I have are priced at £11.50 + each !!!! so might sell them.

9 hours ago, 9v system said:

@Courbet have you had problems with the light sensor on the fast ball sorter? mine goes crazy when there are no balls in it

So that the arm is triggered while there is no ball to pick?

I never experienced that. On the opposite, sometimes a football ball didn't trigger the arm - maybe because the sensor was directly facing a black spot on the ball. It should work ok with fully white/orange balls though.

31 minutes ago, Ankoku said:

This guy has the similar style of loading balls as the v1 of the Ball Factory.

yes i saw this as well im quite impressed