On 12/1/2017 at 10:19 AM, Courbet said:

Try using 12 non-friction pins to fix the vertical axles on one side of the stepper.
Look at Strain Wave Gearing building instructions, the stepper is the same.

That was the solution. Now, the module runs smoothly. Thanks a lot!

Nevertheless, the inner wheel is a little bit wobbly. I am thinking about adding a second bearing on the unsupported side.

During the weekend, I lined up "Catch and release", "Fork" and "Cyclodial drive". Watching it all working together is really amazing!

A few minutes ago,I ordered the parts for "Fork to fork". With this fourth module, I should be able to close the circuit. Damn, I am addicted...

Oh no, a plague has arison! Hundreds of members are getting addicted to GBC building. Hopefully the plague calms down soon, or there will be no one left.

On 12/1/2017 at 10:47 AM, Frequenzberater said:

BTW, has anyone ever tried out to apply WD-40 or similar kind of lubrication to their GBC Modules?

I can imagine, that it would improve smoothness of running and reliability a lot.

I am using this. Indeed a whole less strees to motors and axles - it does leave some greasy filth on the bricks though - so not exactly dry :-)

Edited by MajklSpajkl

38 minutes ago, MajklSpajkl said:

I am using this. Indeed a whole less strees to motors and axles - it does leave some greasy filth on the bricks though - so not exactly dry :-)

We use the same product on GBC modules and works like a charm.

Best regards
Rasika

Hi everyone,

I have built a faithful (bar some colors) replica of Akiyuki's mechanical timer demonstrator.

It's very fun to watch but a bit of a pain to hear - the clutch squeaks on every end course.

Since it's only a demonstrator, quite crude by Akiyuki's own standard I don't think it deserves full building instructions.

But it's not a lot of work, I might end up doing it anyway...  What do you think, is it worth it?

Laurent

I find non-GBC things like this just as interesting!

even just a digital file, or a simplified set of pictures from all angles - maybe highlighting a few tricky bits, could be good....let others do a little bit of figuring out! :)

now... I bet you've been trying to see how you can work it into a GBC layout!  I know I have! :)

19 minutes ago, RohanBeckett said:

I find non-GBC things like this just as interesting!

even just a digital file, or a simplified set of pictures from all angles - maybe highlighting a few tricky bits, could be good...

I second that :thumbup: I was hoping to see this. Very well done. Even this video helps a lot to reproduce this, so thanks for sharing.

I wonder if Akiyuki's next module will include a bunch of small trucks :-) 

If i had Akiyuki's skills, i would try to rework his Container Transporter module to make it work without Mindstorm. With mechanical timers, it might be possible.

Thanks Laurent, very helpful for the ones who want to build it.

Meanwhile I made some changes to the invisible lift after running it for 6 days at Lego World Utrecht. It's a stunning machine but it does drop a lot of balls, I had to solve some jams and lift the machine 3 times per day to remove about 150 balls lying under it.

So I've made a compartment under the feeder with reclining surface to guide the dropped balls to the side thus preventing jamming up the mechanism and necessary cleaning:

38897329831_6852873a3c_c.jpg

38010768865_1a2becc113_c.jpg

The ball feed I also improved because when handling the machine during transport and removing the balls, the ball feed proved to be very fragile. Also the balls got jammed sometimes when high amount off balls were feeded. I've made a new feed that is less fragile and no jamming of balls:

38181854874_49a230a4c1_c.jpg

38897353921_a708f66c83_c.jpg

25025854498_6aa373cf49_c.jpg

Edited by Berthil

a question regarding the steering cup module

has anyone else had jamming problems with balls catching on the slopes at the bottom? mine keeps catching here and yes i have checked the timing 

Yup.. back in Sept when I built it :)

change the scoop to look like this, then it never jams!

800x450.jpg

@Courbet did say a couple of posts later, that he tried it, and was happy with the change - and altered the PDF.. maybe you still have the original file?

10 hours ago, RohanBeckett said:

Yup.. back in Sept when I built it :)

change the scoop to look like this, then it never jams!

800x450.jpg

@Courbet did say a couple of posts later, that he tried it, and was happy with the change - and altered the PDF.. maybe you still have the original file?

yes i have done those changes

oh.. well.. that's interesting then.. as that change solved it instantly for me!

I had loaned this module out, and am only getting it back tonight.. so will check and see if I did anything else to the build.. (don't think I did..)

hi all

thanks to the creators from either the modules or instructions  Akiyuki, The Rebricker, Blakbird  without any of theme i wouldnt had so much fun building such amazing contraptions

the only thing i can point that got me some trouble in the instructions is not having the size of the hoses or its me that is a bit new and cant see the size by looking at the model . tried tho do the spiral (Spiral Staircase ) to had to the Bucket Wheel Tower and was a head ache to get the size wright without talkig about the Ball Factory ball lift 

My kid been nagging to do the marble run but getting the lego tubbing is almost out of question (prices in uk are dear) but read about other types one can get that will work can someone point me where i can get theme see some on evalbay but looked soft not as rigid

thanks again for work and time

2 hours ago, Frequenzberater said:

http://youtu.be/gtlMJSx7ufw

(edit: why is direct embedding not working?) 

Try removing the s from https.

if that doesn't work: I find the best way is to upload to UT and then open your YouTube video and then copy the url from the address bar and paste that into your post.

Edited by Doug72

I have been busy building the Akiyuki Ball Factory v2.0.

I have gotten to the spiral lift part and have been having issues with the Hose, Ribbed 7mm D. 11L. I have both 12L and 11L, but neither fit well. 11L is tight enough that it pulls in the two columns and makes the central column rub against both the fixings and the tubes themselves.

12L fits well, but is not close enough to the central column to stop balls dropping through at certain parts.

Have people cut/modified their tubes to get them to fit properly?

(My 11s are from set: 8466 and my 12s are from an NXT set.)

2 hours ago, Ankoku said:

Have people cut/modified their tubes to get them to fit properly?

You should absolutely feel free to cut a rib or two off of a 12L hose to make them fit properly.

I was just surprised at how non-viable 11L were. Maybe mine have shrunk with age. I will most likely cannibalise some 15L or something I seem to have a lot of those.