I just finished v2 of akiyuki cup to cup. I'll link you to the video, on my youtube channel. What do you think?

1 hour ago, yoyo08190 said:

I just finished v2 of akiyuki cup to cup. I'll link you to the video, on my youtube channel. What do you think?

I have 2 question.

1. what is different with V1 and V2?

2. witch set include lime 11x3 curved panel?

Edited by msk6003
forget color :(

Hello 9v system, ok I will try to understand for the verrin is really not easy.

On the other hand I saw that you had managed to make the entry with the pieces that rise, to make climb the bullets, could you send me pictures please?

thank you in advance.

On 04/08/2017 at 5:23 PM, msk6003 said:

I have 2 question.

1. what is different with V1 and V2?

2. witch set include lime 11x3 curved panel?

hello msk 6003, 

The difference between the v1 and the v2 is mainly at the level of the engine, the engine is located at the rear, I think it is more reliable like that.

It also makes 2 tenon more in length so that its glue with the new ramp out.

Hi everyone,

Akiyuki released his first GBC Train video in 2011. Since then, he constantly improved his design as there are not two videos of his layouts that show the exact same GBC Train. At Brickfest 2017 he presented a brand new version of his train, always following the same principles as before but every component was completely new. He has called it GBC Train (electrical switch type).

Whilst the only material available was his video of the event (and an other very useful video from Takanori Hashimoto alias Yattaran who also presented some really interesting modules himself), Yoann (yoyo08190) and I have been able to build a working replica of his new train, which we believe to be quite faithful except maybe for the train itself where there is a notable amount of guesswork. Although it's the component we see the most in the videos, it's very hard to see what is actually beneath the battery box!

Let's examine Akiyuki's new Train.

1) Motor

The motor is a studless build now, except for the bucket/skip. It is stronger than before. The M motor drives the four wheels which gives the train more traction. On each wheel is also a 8t gear which could be used as a power take-off. The train is slightly longer and taller than before, the bucket has a 9x15 base instead of 8x14.

The big novelty is the use of a Power Function switch to change direction of rotation. It is linked to the two 15L liftarms on the side of the train. A clutch is no longer present, wheels and gears turn all the time. The train is symmetrical and could ride to the loader or unloader battery box first or PF switch first. This has the advantage to dispense the layout of switch rails (except for the siding if two trains are involved) and the railroad track can be constituted of only two straight if wanted.

Connection between PF elements is not shown in intructions but it's really obvious. There is space between motor and battery box for the motor cable, and between battery box and switch for the switch cable. The routing of cables must be done with care, cables must not foul switch movement or the bucket operations.

Akiyuki_GBC_Train(EST)_Motor.JPG

2) Loader

The loader is bigger than before but also much simpler. Both the loader and unloader use the same trigger part which is now studless. The loader itself is a more traditional built and looks a lot like the old one.

Unlike the old one, there is no clutch on the loader, as it is no longer necessary to stop the loader before the train leaves the platform. There are two gaps in the conveyor belt and when the conveyor belt is in sync with the trigger, the switching operation will always take place when the gap of the conveyor belt is at the upmost position, not dropping balls.

Rail tracks that lead to the loader must be raised slightly using plates to make a ramp.

Akiyuki_GBC_Train(EST)_Loader.JPG

3) Unloader

The unloader is much bigger than the old one, with a mix of studded/studless construction and looks nothing like the old one. The mechanism to tip the bucket involves two 28t turntables and two 13L gear racks.

As with the loader, the access to the Unloader necessitates a ramp but its geometry is more important here since there is almost no play between the unloader arms and the bucket. It's better for the last straight track to be horizontal, 1 brick above ground.

The unloader part and the trigger part must be synchronized when connected. Obviously, the unloader arms must be horizontal at the release of the trigger.

There are two others important things to know about this new unloader:
- The train bucket must be built with the current reinforced 4x3 panels with side flanges. This unloader won't work if the train uses the old style panels.
- Integrated in the train of gears is a 20t/24t reduction built on a 4x6 bent liftarm. It will NOT work with current 20t and 24t gears. You must use older versions of those gears from several years ago, or modify the design a bit (the first version I built had two additional 8t gears between the 20t and 24t, it is an easy mod and it works well but Yoann and I are pretty sure Akiyuki built his model as described in the instructions).

Akiyuki_GBC_Train(EST)_Unloader.JPG

4) Siding track

As before, it is optional and it needs a second train to be used. It is more reliable than the old one.

Akiyuki_GBC_Train(EST)_Siding.JPG

I have compiled instructions for all the components into one PDF. Inventory files are separated:

http://bricksafe.com/files/Courbet/akiyuki-project/gbc-train-est/Akiyuki_Train_electrical_switch_type_GBC.pdf

http://bricksafe.com/files/Courbet/akiyuki-project/gbc-train-est/Motor_inventory.bsx

http://bricksafe.com/files/Courbet/akiyuki-project/gbc-train-est/Loader_inventory.bsx

http://bricksafe.com/files/Courbet/akiyuki-project/gbc-train-est/Unloader_inventory.bsx

http://bricksafe.com/files/Courbet/akiyuki-project/gbc-train-est/Siding_inventory.bsx

Here is a short video I have made showing Akiyuki's train in a small loop:

Laurent

wow.. thanks for that! I was wondering how much was going to be changed from the old.. quite a lot it seems!

I only ever built the train + unloader... but will now disassemble them for parts, to rebuilt v2!

really looking forward to this one.. as I have quite a bit of track that will be great to use on a GBC layout!

Thank you Laurent and Yoann! Definitely going to build this one and see if I can take it to Lego World in October in Utrecht.

Excellent teamwork, thanks for the update and instructions.

So interesting how Akiyuki never rests and continues to fine-tune a module.

I look forward to building this version.

20 hours ago, OneMoreRobot said:

Excellent teamwork, thanks for the update and instructions.

So interesting how Akiyuki never rests and continues to fine-tune a module.

I look forward to building this version.

Yes.. doesn't matter who designs a GBC - there's always room for improvement! :)

did some Akiyuki module testing today. all three modules worked really well as you can see the cup to cup has the new drive

Edited by 9v system

4 hours ago, 9v system said:

[...] the new drive

can you explain, what the update includes?

17 hours ago, Hocki said:

can you explain, what the update includes?

it is the new drive which I posted photos of a while back. I believe Yoyo was able to do it properly and make it work better than mine.

2 hours ago, djm said:

Accompanied by an article with an explanation and a series of photographs, which should make creating building instructions easier.

David

Yes, it's almost too much information. It kills the fun a bit.

Laurent

And here is 2 photo done quickly to tell you that the cup to cup vertical is finished and works great. I finished the ramp "snake slide" tonight is all will be good.

da73024d0bb4962399e78588288f468f.jpg

c28557f1bc292ed096648bfd0f80a588.jpg

16 hours ago, 9v system said:

WOW that new module from akiyuki is amazing. @Courbet say you have the instructions done by next week?

Well considering that the model has been replicated in less then 24 hours it's looking like this weekend will see the release of the instructions haha

16 hours ago, 9v system said:

WOW that new module from akiyuki is amazing. @Courbet say you have the instructions done by next week?

Maybe not next week but very soon...

Laurent

Not often do I write to this topic, but I have to praise all the contributors. I just completed the version 2 of the Zigzag stairs. A robust GBC module that I completed in two days and a further 2 days of testing with no spills. I guess I have spent weeks on the version 1 of Zigzag stairs to no joy. I admit my eyesight and lack of muscular control may have contributed but I am quite happy with this module. Thanks!