Just two small questions out of curiosity :grin:

1. Was the spiral lift originally desgined by Akiyuki ? I don't mean in particular the module "Spiral Lift" (#8 in this thread), but I'm more referring to the smaller spiral lifts that Akiyuki uses in his Ball Factory, Cup to Cup and Step Module. I guess it's his creation, but I was just wondering as I see lots of videos/pictures of other GBC modules built by other designers that also use this spiral lift technique. For example the new module "Pneumatic Ball Factory" by Quanix. Okay, this is a new module, but I've also seen some older ones.

2. For the ones who built the Spiral Staircase (real bricks I mean): did someone ever managed to find "Brick, Modified 2 x 2 with Grooves and Axle Hole" (part # 90258) in white color ? It comes in white in the .pdf instructions and it also seems that Akiyuki found this piece in white, but I used a black piece in my build as I couldn't find it in white. Still at this moment it's only available on BrickLink in black and DBG. Obviously doesn't impact functionality, but for the eye it would look better seeing that the complete external part of the tower is in white.

Spiral Staircase, part # 90258.jpg

7 hours ago, Lego_GBC_NL said:

2. For the ones who built the Spiral Staircase (real bricks I mean): did someone ever managed to find "Brick, Modified 2 x 2 with Grooves and Axle Hole" (part # 90258) in white color ? It comes in white in the .pdf instructions and it also seems that Akiyuki found this piece in white, but I used a black piece in my build as I couldn't find it in white. Still at this moment it's only available on BrickLink in black and DBG. Obviously doesn't impact functionality, but for the eye it would look better seeing that the complete external part of the tower is in white.

As far as I am aware, this part does not exist in white.  I used DBG for my build.  I have no idea where Akiyuki got a white one unless he painted it.

59 minutes ago, 9v system said:

@Blakbird Can you please update the main thread with the new instructions please? It looks bit out of date.

What is out of date?  Everything looks correct to me.

27 minutes ago, Blakbird said:

What is out of date?  Everything looks correct to me.

the new zig zag stair by Courbet, the steering cup module and the fast ball sorter are missing 

18 hours ago, 9v system said:

the new zig zag stair by Courbet, the steering cup module and the fast ball sorter are missing 

1. I haven't done any instructions for the zig zag stair yet.
  2. I don't know of any steering cup module.  Is this an Akiyuki module?
  3. The fast ball sorter is an EV3 module and not part of this topic.

1 hour ago, Blakbird said:
  1. I haven't done any instructions for the zig zag stair yet.
  2. I don't know of any steering cup module.  Is this an Akiyuki module?
  3. The fast ball sorter is an EV3 module and not part of this topic.

Talk to Courbet as he has done the instructions for all three of these modules.

I was finally able to find the steering cup module.  This is not an Akiyuki module so wouldn't appear in this topic.  The fast ball sorter is an Akiyuki model, but as I've said from the beginning those EV3 modules are outside the scope of this project.  I'll work on adding the instructions for the zig zag stair when I get a chance.

About the antenna in the F to F, in the parts-list, it's 28x with Flat Top, however in the video they have a round top.

With kind regards

On 3/2/2017 at 9:22 AM, Excal1bur said:

About the antenna in the F to F, in the parts-list, it's 28x with Flat Top, however in the video they have a round top.

It doesn't matter which one you use; they both work.  The flat top is shown in the instructions because these are the current mold and therefore easier to buy.

here's a video from brickvention showing the akiyuki modules I had there, they all worked well with no balls spilt, I have already made the spiral staircase to the tall version with the right coloured spiral exit. 

Edited by 9v system

I was going through some of the instructions (commendable work, Blakbird et. al.) and I found a tiny/minor error in the cup-to-cup module. The five gears to the right are placed 1M higher than they should be, and as such, they do not mesh with the center gear. This might have been addressed before but, just in case. Cheers.

Edited by DrJB

Also, what's with this part?

3957.t1.png

It used to be rather cheap but now, because of Akiyuki's modules (invisible lift & planets), it's about $0.30 each? Supply and demand again?

5 hours ago, DrJB said:

I was going through some of the instructions (commendable work, Blakbird et. al.) and I found a tiny/minor error in the cup-to-cup module. The five gears to the right are placed 1M higher than they should be, and as such, they do not mesh with the center gear. This might have been addressed before but, just in case. Cheers.

I think you are referring to djm's original draft instructions.  The final instructions I published all have the gears meshing perfectly.  There are other differences in design between the two versions as well.

Edit:  You may have downloaded an early version of my instructions.  My original idea to use train windows didn't work and I updated the instructions, at the same time fixing those gears.  Make sure you get the latest version.

5 hours ago, DrJB said:

Also, what's with this part?

3957.t1.png

It used to be rather cheap but now, because of Akiyuki's modules (invisible lift & planets), it's about $0.30 each? Supply and demand again?

This has happened with a few parts, including DBG bricks in general.

On 3/27/2017 at 0:05 PM, Blakbird said:

I think you are referring to djm's original draft instructions.  The final instructions I published all have the gears meshing perfectly.  There are other differences in design between the two versions as well.

You're absolutely right. The instructions did get updated and look fine. Though I think the front cover (POV render) still shows gears with an incorrect offset. Not many people would notice those as well. Also, I somehow have an LDR file and it has the incorrect offset in it as well. one would notice that of course.

There is an Akiyuki Rainbow Wave module? ... I thought such module was done by someone else, but he was 'inspired' by Akiyuki. Can you put the link to the module you're referring to?

Edited by DrJB

9 minutes ago, 9v system said:

@Blakbird Any new instructions for this project? Courbet has done the akiyuki? Rainbow wave module which there are instructions for.

It's nice to be put on the same level as Akiyuki but the Rainbow Wave is 100% my design with improvements and instructions by Courbet :)
The rainbow wave got me on Spanish television, Sunday I'm flying to Madrid to show it on El Hormiguero, Eva Longoria will also be in the show.

Edited by Berthil

Just now, Berthil said:

It's nice to be put on the same level as Akiyuki but the Rainbow Wave is 100% my design with improvements and instructions by Courbet :)

Oh I did not know that you designed it your self but I thought it was akiyuki because of the framework in it. BTW have you seen what I am working on?

2 hours ago, Gopman said:

@Blakbird is step 49 in the PDF instructions for catch and release an inadvertent duplicate of step 48?

No.  Step 48 installs the top supports, step 49 installs the bottom supports.

Now that I am a member of Eurobricks, I want to thank Blakbird, Courbet, djm, jesuskyr, The Rebricker and 9V System, for the good times enjoyed with building the Akiyuki modules.

At the moment I have eleven modules, the ten of the video and the Pneumatic, but I have also realized Ball Factory, Zig-Zag Lift, Step Module, Lifter Triggered by Stuck Ball, Cycloidal Drive and Strain Wave Gearing.

Thank you very much.

22 hours ago, Blakbird said:

No.  Step 48 installs the top supports, step 49 installs the bottom supports.

Well, that certainly improved its operation - it's not spitting balls everywhere.  Thanks!  Perhaps you can add an arrow to the lower hole where the supports go.  I had to go back to my PC and flip back and forth to find it.

Blakbird, I followed the link for the tubing you used on the Marble Run. Unfortunately, tubing sizes, lengths, etc is a weak point of mine. I get thoroughly confused with metrics. I'm attaching a link to the part of the page with the different sizes to which you pointed. I would sure appreciate it if you would be kind enough to point out which tubing you ordered? I've gathered all the parts necessary to assemble it sans the tubing. Thanks in advance for the information in particular and for all the work you've put into creating the instructions for Akiyuki's models!!

https://www.mcmaster.com/#catalog/122/140/=10ycofo

34 minutes ago, Jimgag2395 said:

Blakbird, I followed the link for the tubing you used on the Marble Run. Unfortunately, tubing sizes, lengths, etc is a weak point of mine. I get thoroughly confused with metrics. I'm attaching a link to the part of the page with the different sizes to which you pointed. I would sure appreciate it if you would be kind enough to point out which tubing you ordered? I've gathered all the parts necessary to assemble it sans the tubing. Thanks in advance for the information in particular and for all the work you've put into creating the instructions for Akiyuki's models!!

5548K61 is the tube type and size, and then you can get different colors.  I bought them in 25ft lengths and had much extra.

https://www.mcmaster.com/mv1491548656/#catalog/5548K61