Just now, Maico said:

that's easy to find out... let it run on LEGO world NL (7 days)  for a couple of time :-)

That's exactly why I posed the question!  Many modules work fine for a demonstration or for a few minutes, but then totally unexpected variables come into play when the model runs for hours or days.

I love the mod....and I may have to implement it.  I thought I would be cute and set up the marble run with a passive diverter at the top and 3 different paths for the balls to go down.  If you look at the original model you can see its a very open space leaving plenty of room to make your own extra tracks.  I think it would be fun (and visually stimulating) to get things to overlap as much as possible.  Knowing your motorcycle wheel trick will make it much easier to bridge unexpected height gaps in a GBC layout too so very useful Mod!

It's almost a closed track shooting the balls up with two escapes to prevent clogging up the shoots. I know there is a lot of variation but balls fly up at such a high speed that they all reach the end. I've let it run for an hour with an occasional ball lost because a small part is still open, I'll fix this before running it 7 days  @ Lego World :)

15 hours ago, 9v system said:

@Blakbird do you need some more internal pics of the spiral lift drive?

Not sure what you mean.  I already did instructions for the spiral lift last year.

39 minutes ago, Blakbird said:

Not sure what you mean.  I already did instructions for the spiral lift last year.

Yes I know this but myself and onemorerobot had problems with the belts slipping out of place and the motor getting very hot. Adding this drive to the instructions fixes those problems

9 minutes ago, 9v system said:

Yes I know this but myself and onemorerobot had problems with the belts slipping out of place and the motor getting very hot. Adding this drive to the instructions fixes those problems

OK, thanks for the info.  You are certainly welcome to post details of any improvements here for people to use.  I don't want to change the official instructions because then it would be different than the Akiyuki design.

9 minutes ago, Blakbird said:

OK, thanks for the info.  You are certainly welcome to post details of any improvements here for people to use.  I don't want to change the official instructions because then it would be different than the Akiyuki design.

That is One of the photos that akiyuki sent to me as I couldn't get mine to work.

5 hours ago, tismabrick said:

@9v system 

Please share the photos you have. It's one of the modules I wanna build and any improvement is very welcome. Thanks.

Have a Search on bricksafe for akiyuki. Then find the folder that has pictures of the ball cleaner. Open that and you will see more pictures of this module.

@9v system

Thanks for the hint. The ball cleaner is too cmplex for. I'll wait until a final version appears...

I was actually talking about pictures regarding the spiral lift type 2 :)

23 hours ago, tismabrick said:

Perfect! Didn't know they're all in the same folder.

glad I could help, now if blakbird is willing to update the instructions with these additions that would be good

@Blakbird the instructions for the fast ball sorter have been tested and are ready to be posted here.

Edited by 9v system

@Blakbird

Will you update the instructions for the spiral lift type 2 based on the photos akiyuki shared with 9v system?

Would be just great :)

Edited by tismabrick

15 minutes ago, tismabrick said:

@Blakbird

Will you update the instructions for the spiral lift type 2 based on the photos akiyuki shared with 9v system?

I probably will eventually.  However, I have a lot of other projects happening at the moment and new projects will likely be a higher priority that updating already finished instructions.

58 minutes ago, Blakbird said:

I probably will eventually.  However, I have a lot of other projects happening at the moment and new projects will likely be a higher priority that updating already finished instructions.

Do you want to post the ball sorter instructions here?

Hello everyone,

I have made instructions for Akiyuki’s Zig-zag Stairs version 2 which is seen in his layout 2012.9 video at 1’05”. As I did on Finn’s Steering Cup, I took the liberty to build the input and output parts of the module according to Akiyuki’s current standard to allow full compatibility with the others modules from the Akiyuki Project.
@Blackbird, if you think I got too far and that the final result is too different from Akiyuki’s model, I should be able to strip it and get closer to its original form.

I haven’t built the version 1 so I can’t compare the two, but this second version of ZZS has shorter stairs (16 studs length instead of 20) and only one crankshaft. It works very well and feels quite sturdy and reliable, although I haven’t tested it over a long period of time.

Since I calculated that the crankshaft rotates at approximately 100 rpm in Akiyuki’s video, I figured I needed another 1/2 reduction on the other side of the module (which is not visible in the video anyway). I wanted a clutch so I did the same 12/24 reduction with a crude attachment for the M motor.

The PDF and MPD files in my Akiyuki Project folder :

http://bricksafe.com/files/Courbet/akiyuki-project/GBC_Zig-Zag_Stairs_v2_par_Akiyuki.mpd

http://bricksafe.com/files/Courbet/akiyuki-project/GBC_Zig-Zag_Stairs_v2_par_Akiyuki.pdf

And a short video:

44 minutes ago, Courbet said:

Hello everyone,

I have made instructions for Akiyuki’s Zig-zag Stairs version 2

<snip>

Nice. Thank you for this. This one was on my "To Do" list so now I can cross it off.

Blakbird, it may be worthwhile removing the draft version 1 of this from the module list. To the best of my knowledge, version 1 never featured in any videos other than the one standalone video. Further, experience from running version 1 suggests (as expressed elsewhere in this thread) the version 1 isn't robust enough anyway.

Regards,

David

56 minutes ago, 9v system said:

@djm With version 1 akiyuki uses a chain to drive both cranks past the dead point, there is no offset crank.

That's interesting. The only video I know of the version 1 appears not to include a chain. Can you point me at any other resources for the module which show the chain as they might help improve the current build interpretation.

Regards,

David

4 minutes ago, djm said:

That's interesting. The only video I know of the version 1 appears not to include a chain. Can you point me at any other resources for the module which show the chain as they might help improve the current build interpretation.

Regards,

David

If you look at the video carefully you can see parts of a black chain connecting to the other crank. And the chain will go around the 24 t gear nicely without havering to move the motor.

Edited by 9v system

@Blakbird @djmdo you have any trouble with the basket shooter module? with mine the blue shooter does not shoot far enough even with the power maxed out so I only have the red and yellow ones working