Hello all,

I've been collecting brick and am at the point where I can start building. I see there are two versions of the instructions. Which are recommended the video or the pdf?

5 hours ago, STAT said:

Hello all,

I've been collecting brick and am at the point where I can start building. I see there are two versions of the instructions. Which are recommended the video or the pdf?

If you're talking about the two files I provide in Bricksafe, the PDF file is draft instructions and the other file (.MPD) is the matching MLCad model.

Edited by Courbet

6 hours ago, STAT said:

Which model are you talking about?  There are only three models with video instructions.

I have finished the Strain Wave Gearing . It´s works very well and fine .

Thanks to Courbet for the Instructions , only one Error found at Page 100 Step 23 .Not use 32270 Gear 12 Tooth Double Bevel Black , replaced with 10928 Gear 8 Tooth Type 2 DBG .

strain_wave_gearing-front.jpg

strain_wave_gearing-back.jpg

Okay , the 36 red Balls and the Snake Slide missed :laugh:

Edited by Mogwai

4 hours ago, Mogwai said:

I have finished the Strain Wave Gearing . It´s works very well and fine .

Thanks to Courbet for the Instructions , only one Error found at Page 100 Step 23 .Not use 32270 Gear 12 Tooth Double Bevel Black , replaced with 10928 Gear 8 Tooth Type 2 DBG .

Mogwai, thanks for the feedback!
Of course, you are right, it's a 8t gear, not a 12t, at step 23 on page 125. I have corrected the Bricksafe files (mpd and PDF) accordingly.

On 6-12-2016 at 8:23 PM, Blakbird said:

Which model are you talking about?  There are only three models with video instructions.

I was working on the lift and the ball trigger at the same time. I initially thought that the videos and the instructions were the same. I have now learned there are differences. The trigger is working but I'm still figuring out some timing stuff on the lift.

Another question. I see many people use a 9Volt transformer to power their builds. I have a few of them but for some reason I can't figure that out. How do you connect the 9Volt transformer to the motors?

4 hours ago, STAT said:

Another question. I see many people use a 9Volt transformer to power their builds. I have a few of them but for some reason I can't figure that out. How do you connect the 9Volt transformer to the motors?

The Power Functions extension cable has a 9V connector at one end.  You need one of those in either available length.

heres all my modules of akiyuki getting ready to take to brickvention, as you can see the basket shooter does not have the baseplate

800x600.jpg

hello,

Somebody posted a question on Planet GBC I was not fully able to answer: www.planet-gbc.com/?p=1008

The question relates to  Archimedes Screw - Type 3 module

As the corrugated pipes (purple and black) reference is missing from the BrickStore parts list file, I don't know what is the required length for these hoses.

Can somebody who owns the module let me know what is the length required ?  (my guess is 12L, corresponding to 12 studs)

Edited by turbopolofr

21 hours ago, turbopolofr said:

hello,

Somebody posted a question on Planet GBC I was not fully able to answer: www.planet-gbc.com/?p=1008

The question relates to  Archimedes Screw - Type 3 module

As the corrugated pipes (purple and black) reference is missing from the BrickStore parts list file, I don't know what is the required length for these hoses.

Can somebody who owns the module let me know what is the length required ?  (my guess is 12L, corresponding to 12 studs)

All 13 purple ones are 12L, and the 12 black ones for the screw are 14L.
Other black ones are needed of various lengths for the output ramp (1x8L, 1x11L, 2x15L, 2x17L). Some are difficult to find at those lengths but it's easy to modify the ramp to use whatever lengths you got using pins, axles, pins joiner round, etc.

2 hours ago, Courbet said:

Other black ones are needed of various lengths for the output ramp (1x8L, 1x11L, 2x15L, 2x17L). Some are difficult to find at those lengths but it's easy to modify the ramp to use whatever lengths you got using pins, axles, pins joiner round, etc.

Thanks Courbet!

3 hours ago, Courbet said:

Thanks a lot for your quick answer.
Claudine

Finally I managed to complete it. It's a great module. Had to make some changes though. Frequently some balls jumped out from where the balls drop into the last path. I increased the height on the left hand side. This helped. I still face an issue where the whole thing starts disassemble itself where the two turntables are. Other feedback regarding the instructions will follow later.

Thanks for the instructions!

image.jpeg

Edited by tismabrick

Instructions for Akiyuki's Strain Wave Gearing are now tested and complete and are available here along with a Brickstore parts list.

• 198 pages
  • 2789 parts
640x360.jpg

Most of the credit for reverse engineering this module goes to Courbet who did the work making an LDraw file with instruction steps. I had the easy job of formatting the instructions.  I have not built this module yet, but this thread contains information from several others who have.  It is certainly on my list since the functionality is so fascinating.  The main spline doesn't require any special timing, but the lift needs to be timed to drop a ball into the ramp at the right time for it to be picked up.

Ok I guess I'm the first in 5 days!  THANK YOU BLAKBIRD for another set of of instructions!  By my count we are just one away from finishing...until next month when Akiyuki does it to us again!

we still need the mindstorms modules added to the list so If you count those we are 4 modules away from finished

I will note that one of our Brickvention GBC Team (Lisa!) made the Strain Wave module.. and it ran near flawlessly for 3 days..

had a few dropped balls here and there, but otherwise, ran great!

We did find that a tile had lifted ever so slightly, on the main input, right where it picks the balls up.. this prevent the ball rolling all the way in, and prevented a clean pickup. Once the tile had been pushed in firmly.. it rarely missed a ball.

I believe that Lisa had made some alterations at the rear drive.. so not quite Akiyuki pure... but ultimately, a very impressive module that mesmerised a lot of people in the crowd!  

I've converted the Akiyuki Marble Run to a stand alone GBC module by shooting up the balls on the inside of the marble run by two rotating wheels. The GBC is made 100% from Lego including 63 Hose, Rigid 3mm D. 32L / 25.6cm! The inbox still needs a small modification but otherwise it works well. Thanks for providing the building instructions of the Akiyuki Marble Run!

36 minutes ago, Berthil said:

I've converted the Akiyuki Marble Run to a stand alone GBC module by shooting up the balls on the inside of the marble run by two rotating wheels. The GBC is made 100% from Lego including 63 Hose, Rigid 3mm D. 32L / 25.6cm! The inbox still needs a small modification but otherwise it works well. Thanks for providing the building instructions of the Akiyuki Marble Run!

This is fantastic!  A very well done mod, and a great way to make this module actually meet the standard instead of just function as an output ramp.  How much did you gear up the flywheels?

20 minutes ago, Blakbird said:

How much did you gear up the flywheels?

Thanks! My first GBC with own input, hopefully more to come.
Gearing is 24 tooth (3648) to smallest (10928), then 16 tooth (94925) to smallest again. Last gears are on both sides of axle to make sure the axle is evenly loaded, that's 12 tooth (32270) to 12 tooth (6589) so no ratio there. It runs on full power on one 9V train regulator but can also run 1 click lower. Not lower as the balls don't have enough speed at that power. I'll put some detailed shots on Flickr.

so 24:8 and then 16:8 would be a total of 6:1.  This should put the flywheel in the 1000+ rpm range.

Maybe also good to note I put the whole launching pad in rubber (45590) to absorb too much vibration and the bottom of the launching pad is also rubber for optimum grip. The fact that the balls have a large self propelling forward spin shows this works. Of course this self propelling spin back fires at the end of the half loop (making it backwards spin) but then the ball is where it should be so no problem :)

Edited by Berthil

18 minutes ago, Berthil said:

Maybe also good to note I put the whole launching pad in rubber (45590) to absorb too much vibration and the bottom of the launching pad is also rubber for optimum grip. The fact that the balls have a large self propelling forward spin shows this works. Of course this self propelling spin back fires at the end of the half loop (making it backwards spin) but then the ball is where it should be so no problem :)

I wonder if the amount of thrust you get from self propelling spin is different for a clean ball than a dirty ball, or also for the rails.  I can imagine dusty rails resulting in slippage.  This certainly happens with the pullback racers.  Once the tires have some dust or dirt on them from the floor, they no longer have any traction.

that's easy to find out... let it run on LEGO world NL (7 days)  for a couple of time :-)