On 8. Juli 2016 at 1:31 AM, djm said:

Refined ZigZag Stairs (version 1)

I had a chance to run the ZigZag Stairs (version 1) for a period of time over the weekend. I refined the draft build as a result. The most significant changes were;

• to amend the connections between the axles. As originally drafted, the axles tended to pop out of the 2L 0.5 liftarms
  • reposition the longitudinal centre axle offset by 180 degrees. If provides for better clearance for the left hand longitudinal axle
  • rework the motor positioning. It is now parallel with the module as opposed to perpendicular to it. After further studying Akikuyi's video, the motor orientation now aligns to that in the original. Per Owen's suggestion, moreover this provided the opportunity to decrease the rotational speed using gearss.

Thanks, djm!

Just built it as well. As already mentioned before it's quite fragile. The axle tend to pop out from time to time. Didn't find a proper solution fot it yet.

Update: Found a possible solution if it's allowed to increase the hight of the module by two studs (or at least 1). Is that ok?

Edited by tismabrick

On 10/20/2016 at 2:12 AM, tismabrick said:

Thanks, djm!

Just built it as well. As already mentioned before it's quite fragile. The axle tend to pop out from time to time. Didn't find a proper solution fot it yet.

Update: Found a possible solution if it's allowed to increase the hight of the module by two studs (or at least 1). Is that ok?

It's definitely okay. At the moment the module as I reverse engineered it is flawed. If you've got a solution that works, I'd welcome the improvement.

Regards,

David

Here's my improved version. The connection of the up/down mechanism was improved. The rest stays the same.
01s.jpg

Overall height is increased because more space was required in order to improve the stability of the mechanism within the module. Therefore the moving up/down axles needed to be replaced by longer ones.

modified.jpg

Added two additional axles each in order to support up/down movement of the vertical 5L piece.
Also Improved the two steppers by adding some bushes.

07s.jpg08s.jpg

A view from the bottom which shows how the overall 4 additional axles are secured.

Please test and give feedback.

Regards,
Thomas

Edited by tismabrick

On 10/19/2016 at 1:16 AM, 9v system said:

can you show me the other modules you have built? can you post your video on youtube?

thanks

This weekend I constructed a small loop on the dinner table for the modules I have built at the moment:

Catch and Release
Archimedes Screw - Type 1
Step Module
Lift Triggered by a Stuck Ball

In order to make a nice rectangle I had to increase the length of the exit ramp of 'Catch and Release'  quite a bit.
Luckily it is still steep enough to let the balls roll down smoothly.

This setup works reasonably well!
Only a few ball drops now and then and no major 'mechanical problems'.

Follow the blue ball!

On 7. Juli 2016 at 10:06 PM, TheRebricker said:

I have built the Beam Sorter, but I guess this is not the thread for it. Works pretty reliably and despite it being "Slow" it allows me to sort other Lego while it sorts beams. Now I need to build the Axle sorter. I think someone was working on it, but I don't recall who. I am reworking my LDD file of the Beam Sorter, I will then test build it and shoot videos. I'll pass the LDD onto BlackBird who will work his magic on it and we could have a useful machine for the avid Technic collectors!

Any news about the axle sorter?

Hello to everyone!

I just discovered the world of GBC modules...I went through all this topic and I must say that you all did an incredible work: as I lego fan I can just say THANK YOU, THANK YOU for your passion....Soon I will start working on bricklink to gather

all the pieces for my first module :)

I was wondering...any news about the ball cleaner by Akiyuki? I saw that some are facing the challenge....Any hope to see some instructions? I think it is the most incredible lego GBC I have ever seen on youtube...I can not stop watching that video.....

I'm sure @9v system will show some of his amazing progress soon! ;)

BTW.. don't just limit yourself to Akiyuki's modules - there are a LOT of other amazing mechanisms out there, by other builders.. you can learn a lot by watching/copying/building other, smaller simpler mechanisms too

and it's a challenge to build, and improve upon your own GBC's too... on the weekend, I finally pulled apart, and rebuilt/adjusted for the 4th time, one of my modules.... and HOPEFULLY it'll last a whole exhibition without jamming every 10 minutes...

Edited by RohanBeckett

Instructions for Akiyuki's Archimedes Screw Module (Type 2) are now tested and complete and are available here along with a Brickstore parts list.

• 90 pages
  • 739 parts
640x360.jpg

Most of the credit for reverse engineering this module goes to Courbet who did the work making an LDraw file with instruction steps. I had the easy job of formatting the instructions.  I have not built this module, but it is mechanically pretty simple to there is no timing to set up.

Akiyuki came out with a new module today: "Strain Weave Gearing"

This model shares much DNA with the previous cycloidal drive, but avoids the problem of having the whole mass of the wheel cantilevered from a turntable.  This axis of revolution is supported at both ends.  I love the design of the ellipse.

This is just crazy!!! *huh* Is this man even human??? I was wondering what to expect next from him - I guess best answer would be: The unexpected. A real marvel. I'm in awe. I bow to the master :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

This is an awesome module. I just need to build this. Already completed the outer "stargate" piece. Regarding the 36 red "teeth". Does anyone know its part number?

45 minutes ago, tismabrick said:

This is an awesome module. I just need to build this. Already completed the outer "stargate" piece. Regarding the 36 red "teeth". Does anyone know its part number?

I think that's part 53585.

Need the number of another part :)

The inner circle that holds the balls has 32 tires. Whats the number of the rubber of them?

4 minutes ago, tismabrick said:

Need the number of another part :)

The inner circle that holds the balls has 32 tires. Whats the number of the rubber of them?

I believe its 50945

I completed the outer 36 teeth thingy and the inner yellow one that transports the balls (except of the missing red balls and the tires). Next will be the light grey connector and then the inner light gray "turntable". If someone has started as well it would be great to see some images of the inner light gray part that supports the transport of the balls. Dunno yet how to built this one. The rest seems to be pretty straight forward thanks to the images akiyuki provided.

I am currently building it as well and I plan to release a mpd (and draft pdf) file shortly after I'm done, but for now I miss some key parts (who has got those 36 red balls in his stash?) and hope my Bricklink orders won't take too long to reach me.

54 minutes ago, Courbet said:

I am currently building it as well and I plan to release a mpd (and draft pdf) file shortly after I'm done, but for now I miss some key parts (who has got those 36 red balls in his stash?) and hope my Bricklink orders won't take too long to reach me.

May be you could use these ball joints as a substitute?

http://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=32474&name=Technic Ball Joint&category=[Technic]#T=C

I studied the video carefully and think they will fit as well.

I think they are a little more common and also available in red.

I currently strugle with the inner light grey ellipse. Front and back of the smaller outer part is different. I think the front has two tiles attached (2x2, 1x2) where the back seems to have a technic piece. But I dunno how it's assembled. Any idea?

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by tismabrick

I believe this is made with the 2 tiles you mentioned, plus a 2x3 plate, 2 brackets (99781 and 99207), a regular 1x2 Brick and a 2L technic Beam.