Hello everyone,

Here is a MPD file of Akiyuki's Archimedes Screw Type 2 as seen in his last video (Brickfest 2016).

This time again, the current version is quite different from the module which is seen in his standalone video, particularly the screw itself which is now an almost studless design. 9x 14L ribbed hoses are used.

I'm not 100% sure of the build that hold the yellow curved slope, it's hard to tell from the video alone. As it is, the module could spill a ball if it ingests more than thirty at once (which is unlikely in a GBC loop anyway).

Also it's my first attemp at LSynth for the ribbed hoses, and it's not that great, but better than nothing for the draft PDF I made that you can find on Bricksafe (search for Akiyuki Project).

@Blackbird, those ribbed hoses bothered me on my MPD of Akiyuki's Archimedes Screw Type 2, so I reworked them differently and the result is much better now. The build sequence of the screw has been modified also (no more submodels now) and makes more sense imho.

GBC_AST2 - V2.zip

@Blackbird, those ribbed hoses bothered me on my MPD of Akiyuki's Archimedes Screw Type 2, so I reworked them differently and the result is much better now. The build sequence of the screw has been modified also (no more submodels now) and makes more sense imho.

The synthesized parts look really good. Does such a simple module really need an L motor?

The synthesized parts look really good. Does such a simple module really need an L motor?

Thanks!

This module works well with an M motor as did the prototype. Maybe Akiyuki chose the L motor because of its pinholes, as the easiest way to rigidify the (now upper) mount.

Also it's my first attemp at LSynth for the ribbed hoses, and it's not that great, but better than nothing for the draft PDF I made that you can find on Bricksafe (search for Akiyuki Project).

Maybe you should try LDCad, it's MUCH easier to use than Lsynth for flex part generation !

Instructions for Akiyuki's Pinball Module are now tested and complete and are available here along with a Brickstore parts list.

• 56 pages
  • 992 parts
640x640.jpg

Most of the credit for reverse engineering this module goes to Courbet who did the work making an LDraw file with instruction steps. I had the easy job of formatting the instructions.

I have not actually built this module myself, but it is simple enough that I am not worried about any problems. There is no timing to set. The only moving part is the belt conveyor.

This module is more colorful than most of the others and will add some contrast to your Akiyuki display. It was never presented by Akiyuki in it's own video, but it appears in several of his layouts. The video I've included below is from his most recent 2016 layout. The pinball module can be seen at t=1:15.

Apart from The Rebricker's version of the Ball Factory, Pinball is also the only module from Akiyuki which you can turn into a GBC loop in itself without adding any other part (just turning the output ramp 180°). GBC Train is close, but you need more rails. Fork to Fork also, thanks to the snake glide but some additionnal parts are needed to prevent balls spilling in the glide (I tested that).

By popular demand, I have created an LDraw file of my mod to the crane loader module for the train. You may recall that I had trouble getting enough power from the train to run the crane and that I had lots of gear skips. First I added an L motor to the back of the module as shown below:

800x598.jpg

I want this motor to run only when the train is present in the station, so I created the mechanism below:

800x366.jpg

The 4 bar linkage attached to the polarity switch is contacted by the train motor and turns the crane motor on. The L-motor should be attached to the switch. The black ball joint on the end of the linkage should be aligned with the lateral axle on the train. When the spring mechanism hits the axle to make the train leave the station, it should impact the ball joint and pull the linkage to shut off the switch. The exact position of the yellow 1/2 bush and black perpendicular connector can be adjusted to get the motor to shut off properly. The yellow block on top of the track buffer is used as a stop for the linkage. You don't want the link to rotate too far and reverse the crane. I have tested this config extensively and it works perfectly.

The LDraw file can be downloaded here.

Instructions for Akiyuki's Wheel and Steps Module are now tested and complete and are available here along with a Brickstore parts list.

• 87 pages
  • 1198 parts
640x360.jpg

Most of the credit for reverse engineering this module goes to Courbet who did the work making an LDraw file with instruction steps. I had the easy job of formatting the instructions.

I have not actually built this module myself. The crankshaft sets the timing for the steps, but the relative timing of the wheel and steps probably needs to be set to allow a ball to drop from the wheel when the first step is down.

This module was never presented by Akiyuki in it's own video, but it appears in several of his layouts. The video I've included below is from his most recent 2016 layout. The wheel and steps module can be seen at t=2:47.

Zig Zag Step feedback...

Page 5. There is no need to 2x 9L lifting Arms. One should be a 5L

Page 19. Back Pin should in 3 holes in on the 15L Lifting arm. Otherwise the blue pin for the ram cannot plug in on the under side in on page 20.

Page 31. These steps should be a closer mirror to the page 22 version. There is no need for the 1x3 plates at all... in fact this makes is a lot worse.

Page 34. I geared this down some more and it was far more stable. This gear ratio was way to fast and the balls kept jumping down. See what I mean in the video..

Edited by alanburchill

I built this module as well and had in particular problems with the connection of the axles that push up the steps.

They would come loose after a few minutes,

My solution to this was to replace the bushings on one side with two half-bushings on either side:

Zig-Zag%20Stairs%202%20%28Small%29.jpeg

Furthermore I think there is an error in the instruction on this part as well

Zig-Zag%20Stairs%201.jpg

After this modification it runs quite well!

Let's see if I can implement the changes of Alan as well..

Zig Zag Step Stair feedback...

Page 5. There is no need to 2x 9L lifting Arms. One should be a 5L

Correct. My mistake.

Page 19. Back Pin should in 3 holes in on the 15L Lifting arm. Otherwise the blue pin for the ram cannot plug in on the under side in on page 20.

Correct, my mistake.

Page 31. These steps should be a closer mirror to the page 22 version. There is no need for the 1x3 plates at all... in fact this makes is a lot worse.

Possibly. l can't double check my actual build at the moment as I'm not at home.

Page 34. I geared this down some more and it was far more stable.

Nice, I like it. The gearing isn't visible in the original video so mine was pure guess work. I like the reduction in speed from your gearing suggestion.

Regards,

David

I built this module as well and had in particular problems with the connection of the axles that push up the steps.

They would come loose after a few minutes,

My solution to this was to replace the bushings on one side with two half-bushings on either side

I think that the half bushings on top might hit the underside of the Technic 2x4 plates. Space is tight underneath the Tecnic plates and I do wonder if the unreliability of this module was one reason why it didn't appear in any subsequent Akiyuki videos.

Furthermore I think there is an error in the instruction on this part as well

Correct, the 5 and 6 axles need to be switched.

Regards,

David

By the way, for those who haven't noticed I've updated the montage in the first post with all of the modules which are currently complete or near complete.

800x450.jpg

are you going to update this picture?

are you going to update this picture?

Yes, eventually. I file has gotten large enough that it is pretty difficult to work with, so I'm going to wait until I have all of them ready.

Yes, eventually. I file has gotten large enough that it is pretty difficult to work with, so I'm going to wait until I have all of them ready.

also have you completed any more instructions yet?

found this updated version of the marble run

I love the way the marbles get split up after a while and don't stay together. Boggles the eyes trying to follow the path.

Ambitious initiative. To do reverse-engineering processes requires a lot of technical skills. Off course, nothing compares to the skills of the original builder, Akiyuki, in this case.

You know Blakbird, I've admired you and appreciated your work for many years. This project is just simply the best!!! I can't understand how much work this has been for you and the others. I have downloaded all the modules. I wait with great expectation for the remaining three. THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!!

You know Blakbird, I've admired you and appreciated your work for many years. This project is just simply the best!!! I can't understand how much work this has been for you and the others. I have downloaded all the modules. I wait with great expectation for the remaining three. THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!!

You're welcome! It is always nice to hear that all the effort is appreciated.

I'm currently building the Fork, and have hit a snag with the instructions...

I'm uncertain as to how the black pin in step 13 can be inserted, if that hole is already occupied by the blue pin, as shown in step 12?

Maybe I'm missing something obvious?

hI1YRFH.jpg

I rebuild my ZigZag lifter, as per the instructions here... and.. after a small modification, it ran at 95% success, for 3 full days at Brickexpo, in Canberra, Australia, this past weekend.

I was very surprised to see how well it ran...

I added a weight (metal crane hook) to the indexer arm, as sometimes it DID let 2 balls in at once... with the added weight, sometimes it skips a ball, but at least it never let 2 in.

2 issues, that I will need to ultimately solve:

• The stirrer piece will forcibly push a ball down the chute, if the hopper is full, causing the ball to be ejected out of the machine...
  • The main slider mechanism (2 support arms at the bottom), worked their way loose after several hours, and the machine starts vibrating/being noisy - keeping an eye on these parts, and pushing them back in (even when running), kept it running for many more hours at once. This could be solved with some bricks on the other side, stopping it from coming out.

the Pneumatic module started to run slower and slower over time.. we swapped in an L motor, and it got a bit better... it doesn't cope very well with a full load of balls - and if one or two balls ever get left in the scoop, it fouls the next pickup, spilling balls everywhere. It's definitely not happy with a full load of balls either - takes a long time to lift up... yet, perfectly fine with >10 balls

currently uploading some videos to youtube.. will post when they are done (maybe in the general thread)..

I'll put some pics/vides of OneMoreRobot's layout, if he doesn't :) (since he has 99% akiyuki modules)