You said it right there for me.

While I do not want to stand in the crossfire .. err ... take sides, there is a LOT of work behind making instructions and renders...

To me the credit goes to Akiyuki, all of us are walking in his footsteps.

Edited by DrJB

The Crane Loader MPD is nearing completion. I can say it’s more than 3000 parts without the train, switch and unloader ! It will be around 3700 parts as a whole, plus 600 parts for the alternate loader.

In the meantime I have made a video of all the modules I have built so far. Hope you’ll enjoy it :

Excellent work, every module runs faultlessly, thanks for the video.

Looking forward to the instructions for the train and crane loaders.

Edited by OneMoreRobot

Excellent work, every module runs faultlessly, thanks for the video.

Looking forward to the instructions for the train and crane loaders.

When and were do you plan to exhibit these modules?

Instructions for Akiyuki's Catch and Release module are now tested and complete and are available here along with a Brickstore parts list.

• 86 pages
  • 717 parts

Great work guys! Could you possibly upload the Catch and Release module to rebrickable? The function to ignore part colors while calculating missing parts is unfortunally disabled for private MOCs and wont be available untill "the end of the year". Or is there any other way to get that functionality? It would be really useful while trying to collect the parts needed on a tight budget.

I've only recently picked up this hobby so my collection is sparse (42038, 42030, 8293).

I think he wants to be by your side on the instructions.

Done.

In the meantime I have made a video of all the modules I have built so far. Hope you’ll enjoy it :

That was really fun to watch! Thanks for posting.

Great work guys! Could you possibly upload the Catch and Release module to rebrickable? The function to ignore part colors while calculating missing parts is unfortunally disabled for private MOCs and wont be available untill "the end of the year". Or is there any other way to get that functionality? It would be really useful while trying to collect the parts needed on a tight budget.

You can download the Brickstore parts list and then change any of the colors that you like.

snapback.pngDrJB, on 30 April 2016 - 04:26 PM, said:

I think he wants to be by your side on the instructions.

Done.

That was easy ... My Hat's off to you ... if anything at all, this shows your commitment to the hobby and this community. A gentleman unlike many.

Edited by DrJB

I have been actively working the Archimedes Screw instructions and have completed a first draft. Courbet, would you be willing to disassemble your model and use the instructions to rebuild it as a test? I need the instructions tested but do not yet have the parts to do it myself.

800x600.jpg

I have been actively working the Archimedes Screw instructions and have completed a first draft. Courbet, would you be willing to disassemble your model and use the instructions to rebuild it as a test? I need the instructions tested but do not yet have the parts to do it myself.

looking good so far. make sure to put the box connector on the end so it will work with other modules.

Hello. I'm curious to know if anyone has tinkered with the design of the spiral lift in the ball factory so that the front loader feeds properly? I had an idea that if there were more space on either side of the lift that the balls would be able to pass through but I have serious concerns that the balls won't go up the tubing. There's also some stability concerns with my current design. I've attached an image below of what I came up with in regards to this.

My other thought on this would be to only widen the side opposite the lift which would still result in a few balls getting stuck on the front right side but I think the rest would pass through on the left. I'm playing with this idea now.

And speaking of balls, I am not sure if this has been discussed as an alternative before but I found a source for some alternative balls that I saw someone else use with the factory in a Youtube video. They are 14mm balls for marble run toys. The only source I can find for them is Amazon.it but I was able to get two packages shipped here to the US. Here's the link.

http://www.amazon.it...o/dp/B00TWFXCEA

post-159970-0-85113800-1462403426_thumb.jpg

post-159970-0-63875100-1462403682_thumb.jpg

And speaking of balls, I am not sure if this has been discussed as an alternative before but I found a source for some alternative balls that I saw someone else use with the factory in a Youtube video. They are 14mm balls for marble run toys. The only source I can find for them is Amazon.it but I was able to get two packages shipped here to the US. Here's the link.

http://www.amazon.it...o/dp/B00TWFXCEA

thanks for the link llars! Have your received and tested the balls already ?

Do they have roughly the same dimension and weight as the soccer and basket balls ?

I'll add the link to Planet GBC in the tutorial concerning balls acquisition: http://www.planet-gbc.com/?p=1262

I got them a couple of days ago but I have nothing built to test them with. The packaging says they are 14mm. This is the video which turned me onto them, it shows them in use in a ball factory. He has a few other videos too.

Hello everyone,

Here are the MPD files for Akiyuki’s GBC Train. It includes the conveyor belt loader, crane loader, switch, unloader and the train itself.

A word about Akiyuki’s GBC Train:

His GBC Train is seen in 4 videos : GBC Train Module (mechanical) from 2011, Crane Loader (2012/1), the famous multi-modules at home video (2012/2) and Brickfest (2015).

The switch which is seen in the 4 videos is never twice the same! Mechanically, my version is modelled after his latest but I kept the baseplate he used in the first 3.

The train itself is modelled after his 2012/1 version where a bottom view is available, but the cargo is 1 plate higher to make it compatible with the latest unloader (from the 2012/2 video onward, his train is 1 plate taller that it used to be)

I tried to replicate his latest unloader and improvised a bit for parts that are not visible or too blurry in the 2015 video. Specifically, Akiyuki use 2 linked shock absorbers and I couldn’t figure how, in the end I put only one on and it’s working fine.

The conveyor belt loader seen in his 2015 video is mechanically very different from his first one (2011). Mine is modelled from the latest, again with some improvisation. One interesting thing is that I dug a 20 years old half-bush with teeth and mated it with an old 16t gear with clutch to replicate the clutch mechanism included here, and for me it’s the first time I see the castellations of that gear in use.

Finally, the crane loader I modelled is the 2012/2 one (accommodating the taller train) but 2012/1 and 2012/2 are really the same apart from a couple of pins placement. The thing is huge ! On my PC, LPub crashes 2/3 through the built when it’s trying to generate overall views (with an LDView runtime error) because of the size of this thing (Am I right here?).

GBC_Train.zip

I got them a couple of days ago but I have nothing built to test them with. The packaging says they are 14mm. This is the video which turned me onto them, it shows them in use in a ball factory. He has a few other videos too.

In my experience, the ball factory is the most sensitive model to aftermarket balls. If they are working in this module, then they should work in all the others.

Here are the MPD files for Akiyuki’s GBC Train. It includes the conveyor belt loader, crane loader, switch, unloader and the train itself.

Wow, thanks for the tremendous amount of work here!

Do I understand correctly that the crane loader and the train loader are mutually exclusive? It looks like only one can be used at a time.

I am also surprised to discover that apparently the train switch track does not exist in LDraw. How can this be?

I see that you have already populated the file with LPub commands. Do you want me to leave these as you have prepared them, or is it OK to edit the file?

Finally, the crane loader I modelled is the 2012/2 one (accommodating the taller train) but 2012/1 and 2012/2 are really the same apart from a couple of pins placement. The thing is huge ! On my PC, LPub crashes 2/3 through the built when it’s trying to generate overall views (with an LDView runtime error) because of the size of this thing (Am I right here?).

With a footprint of two 48x48 baseplates, the overall size should be about the same as the ball factory. There are various things that can cause LDView to fail, but it should work on this file. I will report back on what I find.

Do I understand correctly that the crane loader and the train loader are mutually exclusive? It looks like only one can be used at a time.

Yes, a GBC train is one loader, one unloader and one switch (switch is mandatory for Akiyuki's train).

I'd say build the Crane Loader for the 'Wow' factor but bring the conveyor belt loader at a Brickfest!

I see that you have already populated the file with LPub commands. Do you want me to leave these as you have prepared them, or is it OK to edit the file?

I use LPub mainly to check my work with MLCad, you can delete all or part of those LPub commands as you wish.

I've done a quick layout. Looks pretty good!

640x360.jpg

I did not realize until reviewing these files that the train module actually does not use a train motor. At BrickCAN, we noted the irony that the entire GBC layout was running on train regulators except the train.

The fact that the entire thing is run by the M motor in the train is kind of remarkable. The only I don't like about the design when looking at it is the knob wheels. I found that knob wheels do not survive multiple hours of running at a Con and end up causing tremendous friction. I already plan to swap out the knob wheels on my Cycloidal Drive.

In my experience, the ball factory is the most sensitive model to aftermarket balls. If they are working in this module, then they should work in all the others.

I wrote about these balls in this thread: http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=86686&hl=quercetti#entry2486043

SInce then I have used them also in Tilted Rotors, Fork, Zig-Zag Lift and Bucket Wheel Tower.

The fact that they are a little smaller than official LEGO balls doesn't seem to be a problem.

The fact that the entire thing is run by the M motor in the train is kind of remarkable. The only I don't like about the design when looking at it is the knob wheels. I found that knob wheels do not survive multiple hours of running at a Con and end up causing tremendous friction. I already plan to swap out the knob wheels on my Cycloidal Drive.

I also learned that the train carts don't last for long.

I built two and after a full weekend running on our LUGs latest exhibition both were preety "tired". There was also quite visible pile of ABS powder on both loading and unloading stations. It's a fantastic module, but really made me work my megablocks off fixing it, especially the last few hours of the event.

Instructions for Akiyuki's Archimedes Screw Module (Type 3) are now tested and complete and are available here along with a Brickstore parts list.

• 66 pages
  • 768 parts
800x600.jpg

Most of the credit for reverse engineering this module goes to Courbet who did the work making an LDraw file with instruction steps. I had the easy job of formatting the instructions.

For the first time, I am posting instructions for a module I have not actually built. Courbet did the test build using the instructions and confirmed there are no problems. This module is mechanically pretty simple to there is no timing to set up.

The ribbed hoses are not included in the parts lists, but the lengths are called out in the instructions. The hoses do not exist in the exact lengths needed, so either longer lengths will need to be cut down or the required lengths will need to be built up from shorter segments.

Akiyuki's later videos show an updated version of this module with a considerably larger and more rigid frame. If anyone is interested in reverse engineering the updated sections, I will be happy to post a "V2" instructions.

hello blackbird, I am very interested in v2 of the Archimedes Screw Module. you can make the instructions? thank you in advance for all the work accomplished.

will you publish a version upgrade of the cycloidal Drive?

Edited by yoyo08190

hello blackbird, I am very interested in v2 of the Archimedes Screw Module. you can make the instructions? thank you in advance for all the work accomplished.

I have no plan to do the V2, but if someone sends me an LDraw file I will make instructions.

will you publish a version upgrade of the cycloidal Drive?

Not sure about that. It would not be an Akiyuki design. In any case, I haven't made any mods yet anyway. I will report back on what I find when I do.

[slightly OT:]

I've just seen, that with the minifigures of the german soccer team come LEGO balls:

3pX3Udk.jpg

Maybe there will be balls available directly from LEGO again.