turbopolofr, why don't you put all these wonderful instructions to a single place like Rebrickable? As for now each new "centralised" website makes it only worse by decentralising.

hi zux,

Rebrickable is a more than excellent website but is generalist on Lego building and building instructions, unlike Planet GBC that is exclusively focusing on GBC (and not only related to building instructions).

Not all building instructions are present on rebrickable and I have no legitimacy in uploading there building instructions not made by me.

I rather have a website that is referencing anything dealing with one GBC module (Rebrickable, BrickStore, links..), giving full credit to the persons that effectively did the job.

As you can see for instance here: http://www.planet-gbc.com/?p=417, no need to go on n different websites to collect the information you need about one GBC module. Evrything is in a single page.

As far as I know, such "centralizer" website was not existing.

Hope you'll like it anyway ;-)

thanks for your comment

Edited by turbopolofr

So elegant.

This shouldn't be a problem to retro-engineer, I guess.

His modules are so great to look at, it's really not surprising this thread exists. Time to dig those SW planet sets and buy more trans-clear antennas !

In the meantime, my Crane Loader is built and is working (well, most of the time...):

Some MPDs will follow soon, including Akiyuki's first (and indeed more reliable) GBC train loader.

@Blackbird, you haven't updated your first post nor posted here in a while, are you done with the project ?

I can make PDF myself, but it won't be to your high standard (and I still need to learn LSynth for Archimedes Screw).

how's the extended height spiral lift going? need any help?

The last of the parts to convert to the tall version arrived this weekend. I will build in the next couple of days and then release the instructions. Please note that I made a lot more changes to my tall version than you did when you build it. Most significantly, I added Akiyuki's mid-guides to the vertical rails. I hope they work!

Lego Technic Ball Cleaner today I tested the first part, in my opinion the most complex - valve timing and everything works very well other part will be the introducer device balls :classic:

Wow, that looks awesome! This module has been on the top of my "must-build" list for a long time but the reverse engineering was daunting. Glad to see someone is having a go at it and succeeding.

I know Blackbird is busy with big white cars now but I'm still hoping my 2 previous mpd will get his treatment eventually.

Other than the white cars I've built lately, I had also been preparing for BrickCAN which I attended last weekend. Now that it is over, I will have some time to get back to this project.

I'd like to take the opportunity of this thread to introduce my Website that will progressively centralize most of the GBC modules , hopefully wih a maximum of buiding instructions: http://www.planet-gbc.com

There are several other resources in which people have attempted the same goal: to consolidate GBC resources in one place. Most end up being incomplete for one reason or another. I can see that you have put a lot of effort into the design of your site. I hope it is successful!

The new module by Akiyuki:

He did it again! When I did instructions for the Basket Shooter, Philo said that making an LDraw file for the backboard was not much work. Well Philo, how do you feel about modeling those planets?!

In the meantime, my Crane Loader is built and is working (well, most of the time...):

Fantastic work! I am really looking forward to this one. Any idea how many parts it has?

Blackbird, you haven't updated your first post nor posted here in a while, are you done with the project ?

I can make PDF myself, but it won't be to your high standard (and I still need to learn LSynth for Archimedes Screw).

As discussed above, I was distracted by a few things. I have also been working on Technicopedia, and in fact am nearly ready to post the 2015 page. After that I should have more time to work this project again. I have not given up on it.

Blackbird, I'm glad to see you're still commited to this project.

As for the number of parts in the Crane Loader, I really don't know... yet.

It's big but not that dense, although there are some areas that use a lot of parts, the counterweight in particular which is a stack of small plates. Including the train, switch and unloader it surely will make it to the top three.

This weekend I had the opportunity to attend BrickCAN in Vancouver, British Columbia. I took 4 Akiyuki modules with me which were expected to run throughout the weekend: about 14 hours altogether. The following are some observations I made in order of reliability:

• Lift Triggered by a Stuck Ball: This ran flawlessly all weekend. I never had to touch it or worry about it.
  • 6 Heads: This ran very well but over time some of the neck parts would become loose and have to be pushed back together. No big deal. There was also an occasional dropped ball.
  • Fork to Fork: The started out very smoothly but after a few hours the motion became very jerky and sometimes it would even grind to a halt. This was a big surprise since this module has very low power requirements. After much troubleshooting, I finally tracked the problem to the clutch gear. I don't know whether it got hot or the knob wheels caused too much friction, but it was slipping a lot. I replaced it with a normal 24 tooth gear and then it worked fine. This module also occasionally broke off an antenna which resulted in dropped balls until it could be fixed. It was suggested that "handcuffs" could be used to make them more secure but I haven't tried it yet.
  • Cycloidal Drive: This module gave me a lot of problems. It would only run for about 5 minutes and then shut down. Again, I replaced the clutch gears with standard gears. This improved the performance, but it would still only run 10-15 minutes before stalling the motor and stopping. The highly loaded knob wheels were making a lot of noise. I think the sticky turntable is primarily to blame. I would like to switch to the new turntable which would work much better but would also screw up the gear ratios (60 tooth versus 56 tooth). It will require a considerable redesign to incorporate it.

With all of that being said, the Akiyuki modules were generally as reliable or more so than the rest of the layout (apart from the cycloidal), but dozens of hours of run time takes a heavy toll on LEGO. And babysitting them takes a heavy toll on my feet and back!

This weekend I had the opportunity to attend BrickCAN in Vancouver, British Columbia. I took 4 Akiyuki modules with me which were expected to run throughout the weekend: about 14 hours altogether. The following are some observations I made in order of reliability:

• Lift Triggered by a Stuck Ball: This ran flawlessly all weekend. I never had to touch it or worry about it.
  • 6 Heads: This ran very well but over time some of the neck parts would become loose and have to be pushed back together. No big deal. There was also an occasional dropped ball.
  • Fork to Fork: The started out very smoothly but after a few hours the motion became very jerky and sometimes it would even grind to a halt. This was a big surprise since this module has very low power requirements. After much troubleshooting, I finally tracked the problem to the clutch gear. I don't know whether it got hot or the knob wheels caused too much friction, but it was slipping a lot. I replaced it with a normal 24 tooth gear and then it worked fine. This module also occasionally broke off an antenna which resulted in dropped balls until it could be fixed. It was suggested that "handcuffs" could be used to make them more secure but I haven't tried it yet.
  • Cycloidal Drive: This module gave me a lot of problems. It would only run for about 5 minutes and then shut down. Again, I replaced the clutch gears with standard gears. This improved the performance, but it would still only run 10-15 minutes before stalling the motor and stopping. The highly loaded knob wheels were making a lot of noise. I think the sticky turntable is primarily to blame. I would like to switch to the new turntable which would work much better but would also screw up the gear ratios (60 tooth versus 56 tooth). It will require a considerable redesign to incorporate it.

With all of that being said, the Akiyuki modules were for generally as reliable or more so than the rest of the layout (apart from the cycloidal), but dozens of hours of run time takes a heavy toll on LEGO. And babysitting them takes a heavy toll on my feet and back!

do you have a video?

can I add the black box connectors to all the modules? and the second ramp to the invisible lift?

thanks

And babysitting them takes a heavy toll on my feet and back!

this is one thing they don't tell you about running a GBC layout for a whole weekend - the amount of babysitting you have to do with all the modules - you eventually get to know all their quirks - even other peoples' ones, and learn how to fix them

I often comment to a lot of other exhibitors - "you guys have it easy... you build a Lego city, and then it just sits there all weekend - our Lego creations are constantly trying to destroy themselves'

RB

- our Lego creations are constantly trying to destroy themselves'

agreed unless it is something like my ball factory or any akiyuki module.

agreed unless it is something like my ball factory or any akiyuki module.

Ha ha ha... Your modules also had their time. Specially the bucket spinner which constantly had to be helped when a ball got stuck underneath.

R.

Any news on spiral lift? Really interested to see how yours turns out.

I just finished building it. It took some tweaking, but now works OK. I'll make some changes to the PDF to account for my fixes and then post it.

Instructions for the tall version of Akiyuki's Spiral Lift Module are now tested and complete and are available here along with a Brickstore parts list.

• 53 pages
  • 1455 parts
640x480.jpg

This is the double height version of the module previously posted here. There were some necessary changes other than just the increase in height. There is an intermediate set of roller guides behind the tracks, a handle on the top, and a set of external guides on the rails to help keep the track centered. This module is tricky to configure. The tracks need to be carefully adjusted up and down until they are well supported by the rollers or balls will fall through.

Instructions for the tall version of Akiyuki's Spiral Lift Module are now tested and complete and are available here along with a Brickstore parts list.

• 53 pages
  • 1455 parts

Looks good, one question. Why am I not included on the instructions?

Looks good, one question. Why am I not included on the instructions?

What do you mean? Anyone can download the file.

What do you mean? Anyone can download the file.

I'm mean as in my name in not on the front page with yours as I did the reverse engineering. That's all

I'm mean as in my name in not on the front page with yours as I did the reverse engineering. That's all

Oh sorry, I misunderstood. I actually did credit your work in the original post. I guess I should have repeated it. Thanks again for all your help!

I think he wants to be by your side on the instructions.

Edit: err ... his name next to yours on the instructions

The Crane Loader MPD is nearing completion. I can say it’s more than 3000 parts without the train, switch and unloader ! It will be around 3700 parts as a whole, plus 600 parts for the alternate loader.

In the meantime I have made a video of all the modules I have built so far. Hope you’ll enjoy it :