Nothing teaches you how a mechanism works like deriving the equations of motion for an animation. Today I've been working on the Fork Module and it took me some time to get the ratios right but I really like how this thing moves!

anim1.gif  
anim2.gif

I also thought it was pretty cool that the motion of the forks, when stacked as individual frames, make a perfect 3 petal parametric rose.

640x480.jpg

The ev3 ballsorter is also nearly finished. I still need to order a few parts and some minor fixes have to be applied, but it's working already quite well:

5WL7GhE.jpg?1

Are there others that want to built this module? I would then finish the ldraw file and propose a design to use a second large motor for the spiral case because x1676 is rather rare. A second large motors should be in anybodies inventory with a ev3.

Edited by goggel

How did you find all the bricks and parts to build the Ball Factory? I'm trying to find some cheap sources at BrickLink but it all end up being very expansive. How much did you spend on bricks and parts to build the Ball Factory? Any suggestions?

My normal Workflow for part orders: Open the bsx-File with Brickstock and delete or change the amount of parts for the ones i already have (or use rebrickable to calculate this). Then use either Brickficiency oder BrickWizard (both are not perfect both are getting the job done, maybe after some tries) to calculate the orders for the needed parts. But check the store terms before ordering, because these tool don't consider lot limits or similar restriction in all cases.

For the ball factory I've ended with 3-5 orders from different stores for around 350€ (don't remember the exact amount and it was probably combined with parts for other projects). Considering price per part Akiyuki's models are rather "cheap" MOCs because there are usually not many rare or expensive parts.

The ev3 ballsorter is also nearly finished. I still need to order a few parts and some minor fixes have to be applied, but it's working already quite well:

Are there others that want to built this module? I would then finish the ldraw file and propose a design to use a second large motor for the spiral case because x1676 is rather rare. A second large motors should be in anybodies inventory with a ev3.

I am interested!

I think it is certainly worth doing CAD and instructions for this module. I didn't originally intend to do the robotic modules, but since you've come so far....

How did you find all the bricks and parts to build the Ball Factory? I'm trying to find some cheap sources at BrickLink but it all end up being very expansive. How much did you spend on bricks and parts to build the Ball Factory? Any suggestions?

It is indeed expensive to build such a large module. I got all my parts from Bricklink.

I don't have the complete part amount for even only one module. And buying at bricklink gets to expensive. But you are right, the models are too cool not to have building instructions for them resp. build them. Surely there are enough freaks who want to build the models. :wink:

Greetings

Alex

I spent about $250 (CAD) to get what I needed to complete the ball factory but it has been worth it.

Best MOC I have ever built - worth every penny.

Edited by paulincanada

@Blakbird, while waiting for you to publish the pdf instructions, I can't wait starting collecting parts for the Ball Factory. I am wondering if you are going to make any changes to the part list when the instruction is finalized.

@Blakbird, while waiting for you to publish the pdf instructions, I can't wait starting collecting parts for the Ball Factory. I am wondering if you are going to make any changes to the part list when the instruction is finalized.

Very few. I color coded the plates on the tiled floor to make it more obvious where the modules go. I also made the latest updates to the design that Rebricker suggested. I would be ready to publish right now except that there is a small misalignment in one of those updates that is really bothering me.

Hope you will solve the misalignment soon. Thank you so much for leading the Akiyuky project! I have been keeping a close eye on it and enjoying it very much.

$250 seems cheap for this build. I have a hard time with Brickefficiency (4 stores) to get a reasonable price for all the bricks needed to build the ball factory.

Don't worry so much to collect every part you need all at once.

If you build it in modules you can collect parts for the 1st 5 modules and get them on the 1st baseplate, then get parts for the next 2 or 3 and add those etc

The timing and setup of this project is so fine that it may take a little while to get every module timed perfectly with the rest.

I find it kinda fun to browse BL and I always add parts that I feel I could use more of for other projects, I bought a few hundred of the common sizes of DBG bricks and loads of tiles, so when I build another Akiyuki machine I already have them.

I haven't already said it but many MANY thanks to Akiyuki for his incredible design and generosity, and of course theRebricker and Blakbird for their work to bring this project to fruition.

$250 seems cheap for this build. I have a hard time with Brickefficiency (4 stores) to get a reasonable price for all the bricks needed to build the ball factory.

I already have most technic parts. I have very few system bricks. Here's how I divided the orders by Brickefficiency.

First I removed all the technic parts. I will place a separate order if I still need some technic parts after sorting out my inventory. I also removed the buckets and the base plates. I will buy then separately. Then I changed all the yellow parts into black. That's just personal preference on the color scheme. I also changed some dark bluish gray parts into black since I found black ones are available in more stores. After the chances, I was able to find all parts in 3 stores for around $150.

Edited by Superfield

I've been spending a lot of time on the Zig-zag lift. Jesuskyr did a great job of reverse engineering it from the video, but the original version lacked an output ramp and also had a lot of reported jamming problems. Using only a 2013 video showing the module in a GBC circuit, I was able to implement an indexer to prevent jamming and a zig-zag output ramp which should be very close to Akiyuki's latest design. It increases the part count a lot, but I think this is a much stronger module now. What do you think?

looking good! do you want me to test the instructions?

looking good! do you want me to test the instructions?

No thanks, I am testing most of them myself. Much easier to make corrections that way. This model will probably be ready by the end of the month along with the fork module.

No thanks, I am testing most of them myself. Much easier to make corrections that way. This model will probably be ready by the end of the month along with the fork module.

ok :( reason I ask is because I have the zigzag built I just want confirm it works

Hi everybody

First of all a very big THANK YOU to everybody involved with recreating these wonderful machines and the instructions so that we can all enjoy them

I've just started on the Bucket Wheel Tower and Six Heads

I also have Lift Triggered by a Stuck Ball approx 80% complete

1 small mistake I think in the instructions is on page 73 (steps 23/24) there are black pins going in where there is already a 48989 cross block, easy enough to move said cross block by 1 hole

On page 80 (step 56) there is a black pin and a small wheel and I cannot for the life of me see where they go, any help will be much appreciated

Thanks again

Chip

Blakbird, will the parts list for the Ball Factory be updated/changed in the first post after you review of the instruction? I'm thinking of building the ball factory in a white theme (where it make sense for the parts, e.g. not for technic parts where white is uncommon), could you please refer to the latest LDD file (corresponding to the latest parts list) so I will be able to change the theme colour to white? Maybe you have already tested to change the theme colour to white?

Many thanks

Deepy

Very few. I color coded the plates on the tiled floor to make it more obvious where the modules go. I also made the latest updates to the design that Rebricker suggested. I would be ready to publish right now except that there is a small misalignment in one of those updates that is really bothering me.

Edited by Deepy

@Blakbird I think you should add the module with the green steps to the list ( it was shown at te Japan brick fest video)

Blakbird, will the parts list for the Ball Factory be updated/changed in the first post after you review of the instruction? I'm thinking of building the ball factory in a white theme (where it make sense for the parts, e.g. not for technic parts where white is uncommon), could you please refer to the latest LDD file (corresponding to the latest parts list) so I will be able to change the theme colour to white? Maybe you have already tested to change the theme colour to white?

I have never used any LDD file. I'm not sure what you want to change to white, but that would be a big project. Just start with the Brickstore parts list and go from there. Yes, I intend to update this file when I am done.

I also have Lift Triggered by a Stuck Ball approx 80% complete

1 small mistake I think in the instructions is on page 73 (steps 23/24) there are black pins going in where there is already a 48989 cross block, easy enough to move said cross block by 1 hole

On page 80 (step 56) there is a black pin and a small wheel and I cannot for the life of me see where they go, any help will be much appreciated

I knew about the first one, it is on my list of things to fix. I don't see the problem with second one. The wheel is clearly visible right in the middle of the front rail.

@Blakbird I think you should add the module with the green steps to the list ( it was shown at te Japan brick fest video)

I think you might be referring to an old version of the step module. When Akiyuki made updates, I only planned to do the most recent.

Edit: I see the one you mean on. I can't find any evidence that Akiyuki ever presented this module. Are you sure it is his?

I think you might be referring to an old version of the step module. When Akiyuki made updates, I only planned to do the most recent.

Edit: I see the one you mean on. I can't find any evidence that Akiyuki ever presented this module. Are you sure it is his?

yes im sure it is his because of the wheel design and the way it is built

I love this....currently building the ball lift but will add a few more. I also have some ideas about making them my own.

If you still need somebody to test the ball factory instructions. I have almost collected all the parts. I'm happy to do it.

Edited by STAT

@ Blakbird " The wheel is clearly visible right in the middle of the front rail."

It is when you know where it is and now I've seen it, but it took me quite a while to notice it, appointment made for new glasses.

Thanks

Chip

Something surprising has happened. I actually designed something. I finished building the pneumatic module yesterday, and while I got it working very nicely, it had to be pumped manually. I started by building a small external compressor, but I really wanted it to be housed inside the model. There is very little available space so it had to be sandwiched under the tower. I was able to make it fit and it works great.

Now I am left with the question of whether or not to include this compressor in the instructions. It is certainly NOT Akiyuki and furthermore it is rather crude because I have no talent. On the other hand, anyone can simply elect not to build that part. Thoughts?

Congrats. This has got to be one of my favorite GBCs, primarily because of the pneumatic logic. It reminded me of all the various L/U cycles I studied in high school, many years back. In any event, I found the module to be rather 'finicky', and the positions of the parts activating the pneumatic switches would drift after a while. Then I found Akiyuki's description in a Japanese blog, and he too mentioned the module was rather 'sensitive'. Also, I replaced the hard stops on the turntable, that stop the top structure when it goes back and forth (180 degrees). I used instead the 2L rubber connectors (below) to soften the impacts.

45590.jpg

Nothing teaches you how a mechanism works like deriving the equations of motion for an animation. Today I've been working on the Fork Module and it took me some time to get the ratios right but I really like how this thing moves!

I got an LXF from DoktorBrick (German lego site) and thought long and hard about making this with 3 arms (instead of 2), but could not come up with a working solution given the current assortment of lego parts. I also had to reinforce the back vertical beams as they had a tendency to push away from one another, due forces in the various gears. Nicely done!

Edited by Blakbird