GBC Vertical Ball Lifts without using a reversing unit. 

51514486073_149b895422_w.jpgIMG_8365

======================================================

It proved not possible to increase the lift range by using longer crank arms as it would put too much side thrust into the tower guide beams causing jamming. How to increase the lift height ?  Another way of raising the ball lift box had to be found.

Mk 1 version with higher lift range.

A vertical tower was built to give a lift range of 57 L. Old Lego large chain links were used in a loop with 9T chain sprockets at top & bottom.

51644581014_556fe75f6b_w.jpgIMG_8399 

51643102892_4df44c25b7_w.jpgIMG_8400 

The ball lift frame is connected to the chain by a 3L beam & a swinging link, with the chain driven by an L motor to the bottom sprocket wheel.

Testing proved that the ball lift frame Raising & lowering  OK.
When tested with a 30 ball load the 3L beam kept disengaging from the chain. The 3L beam is a push fit onto a the two studs of the large Lego link.

51643102922_407b1f3714_w.jpgIMG_8398 

One possible option was to glue it to the link but instead I decided to come up with another better solution. So Mk 1build abandoned.

Mk. 2 Vertical ball lift (WIP) 
A more secure way of connecting the lift frame to the chain was needed.
This time I used Lego 5L wide chain links with medium sprocket wheels top & bottom. Also required to be able to lift 30 balls per cycle.

Lift range now 66L

The arm with the swinging link was much easier & stronger to connect to the chain using two black pins inserted into the link with two short black rods pushed into the pins to lock them in place.

51644580924_57006b1caa_w.jpgIMG_8401

More progress to follow and a video once completed.

Edited by Doug72
spelling, removed text

53 minutes ago, Ankoku said:

You should probably add a video. Although isn't this more appropriate in the Akiyuki train thread?

Mk 2 version not finished yet and will be stand alone driven by PF L motor.

The ball release at top has yet to be made & installed with a return for balls vis a zig zag chute.

A video of the Mk 2 version will be made when completed & Tested.

The train version got me thinking how to increase the lift height.

Edited by Doug72

17 hours ago, Ankoku said:

I wonder how many people started the Ball Factory, but never got it working properly.

count me in.

Finished this 5-6 months ago but never took a video.

Cup2Cup v1.2.1

Bucket Wheel Tower (4 bucket version)

Edited by dunes
video added

Akiyuki style Spiral Lift Reservoir.

Can hold easily 200+ balls.

Edited by dunes

For my Ball Factory at the moment, I have used longer tubes and only rotates 540 degrees on the spiral lift.

Hi guys,

I finished Akiyuki's Basket Shooter earlier this week, following the instructions by djm and Blakbird - many thanks to those two guys for their time and effort in producing the instructions.

A really enjoyable build and satisfying in the end. After some tuning, it runs well, with just one issue. The far right (blue) shooter module, never has enough power to get any ball to even reach the basket. On a full spring wind (as full as you can before the actuator starts to shoot the ball backwards) it only gets about two thirds to the basket. The other two shooters are fine and are scoring enough hoops to please me.

I've checked and checked the blue shooter module, and everything looks correctly built.

I just wondered if anyone else has had a similar issue, with a lower powered shooter module?

The only thing I can think of is the black 9.5L shock absorber (soft spring) maybe a bit odd, and am waiting for another couple of spares to swap out and try.

Any other ideas from the GBC experts here would be most welcome.

3 hours ago, ostrichwatch said:

Hi guys,

I finished Akiyuki's Basket Shooter earlier this week, following the instructions by djm and Blakbird - many thanks to those two guys for their time and effort in producing the instructions.

A really enjoyable build and satisfying in the end. After some tuning, it runs well, with just one issue. The far right (blue) shooter module, never has enough power to get any ball to even reach the basket. On a full spring wind (as full as you can before the actuator starts to shoot the ball backwards) it only gets about two thirds to the basket. The other two shooters are fine and are scoring enough hoops to please me.

I've checked and checked the blue shooter module, and everything looks correctly built.

I just wondered if anyone else has had a similar issue, with a lower powered shooter module?

The only thing I can think of is the black 9.5L shock absorber (soft spring) maybe a bit odd, and am waiting for another couple of spares to swap out and try.

Any other ideas from the GBC experts here would be most welcome.

yes i had the same issue with my build too and yes its related to the shock absorbers, i find that some are stiffer to compress than others

Thanks 9v for the reply 👍 It's nice to have confirmation. Hopefully one of the new springs I've ordered will work. I'll report back once they arrive. Currently blue has yet to score ! 🏀

@Ankoku i have currently finished the step module but im having some jamming issues at the input of the spiral lift. did you finish the file for the improved version?

1 hour ago, Ankoku said:

@9v system Not quite finished, but finished enough for you! :) I will up it for a short time for you!

thanks, i tried to fix the issue with the current design and its just not working, i do like the input ramp though

thanks for the file @Ankoku i have made some changes already. reverted some parts back to the instruction version as i dont want to buy some of the other parts, i changed the slopes in the hopper to how DJM has them in his cup to cup module

640x480.png

not sure if anyone posted these here but Takanori hashimoto has come up with two really nice modules inspired by akiyukis gbcs, he has instructions for both which i have purchased

Finally finished the Double Basket Shooter after almost 1 year in progress.

this was out GBC layout at brickvention. the Akiyuki ones with the exception of the planets, catch and spin and five rings were mine, built from all new parts, i used motors from aliexpress and they held up well esp the mouldking ones.

On 2/17/2021 at 3:45 AM, aeh5040 said:

:pir-bawling: I did offer to help make instructions from photos...

your in luck, myself and @Ethan M are working on instructions for it, i have finished my part, and the module section is ready, just need to do the gearbox