Interesting : although I already saw this yellow version, I didn't even notice the extra-large (and much more practical) input bin, which is a good idea to reproduce...

Having built the standard version a few days ago, but failing to tune the module, I modified a little portion of the mechanism (described in a new topic in order to avoid disrupting discussions here). See

1 hour ago, Thierry-GearsManiac said:

Interesting : although I already saw this yellow version, I didn't even notice the extra-large (and much more practical) input bin, which is a good idea to reproduce...

Having built the standard version a few days ago, but failing to tune the module, I modified a little portion of the mechanism (described in a new topic in order to avoid disrupting discussions here). See

I saw pictures posted on his blog (https://akiyuki.jp/en/works/1423) and found that the input bin was different.

And based on those two photos, I made a yellow version of the catch and spin robots.

I have a question. My 'catch and spin robots' work well.

But do you have a reason to try its mods and improvements?

Do you mean his (Akiyuki's) mods and improvements or my own ones ?

Akiyuki's mods and improvements (except the turntable optimization = removal of the base, already taken into account in the build instructions) : I would like to build a larger input bin so that it's more convenient for chaining modules (when doing turns).

My own mods and improvements :

• I wanted the robots to spin symmetrically (and, by mistake, I mirror-built one robot with respect to the other one when anticipating the build of the other doubled subsets --which were actually symmetrical)
  • I didn't succeed in making the robots work reliably : none of the friction adjustments did work for me
  • It was a good self-challenge
  • The pleasure of doing mechanical design, even on somone else's original creation

Edited by Thierry-GearsManiac
grammatical fix : his, not its

With @Innocity mentioning Akiyuki's Yellow version of the Catch & Spin module, it reminded me that it appeared at the Skærbæk Fan Weekend 2019. e.g. his actual module along with the man himself.

So I decided to have a look to see if he made any improvements.

Drop_Tray.jpg

Here you can see a change.

He has added a dropped ball tray, to stop balls from dropping down into the gears.

6 hours ago, Ankoku said:

With @Innocity mentioning Akiyuki's Yellow version of the Catch & Spin module, it reminded me that it appeared at the Skærbæk Fan Weekend 2019. e.g. his actual module along with the man himself.

So I decided to have a look to see if he made any improvements.

Drop_Tray.jpg

Here you can see a change.

He has added a dropped ball tray, to stop balls from dropping down into the gears.

i noticed this as well, i wonder if he will add it to the instructions?

9 minutes ago, 9v system said:

i noticed this as well, i wonder if he will add it to the instructions?

Without it, there's no problem with the running of the module, so it won't be added to his instructions.

It might be possible if we ask him to add it.

10 minutes ago, Innocity said:

Without it, there's no problem with the running of the module, so it won't be added to his instructions.

It might be possible if we ask him to add it.

balls can drop into gearing and jam the module, so i think it is worth asking him to add it

I don't think I have had a ball jam it. When one does drop down there, it is a royal pain to get them out without tipping the machine upside-down.

The main thing I am wondering is whether the balls round out from there to the next module, or whether it just collects.

Interestingly, if you go with @Thierry-GearsManiac mod, having them both spin outwards, that would reduce the chances of getting a ball in the middle.

9 hours ago, Ankoku said:

I don't think I have had a ball jam it. When one does drop down there, it is a royal pain to get them out without tipping the machine upside-down.

The main thing I am wondering is whether the balls round out from there to the next module, or whether it just collects.

Interestingly, if you go with @Thierry-GearsManiac mod, having them both spin outwards, that would reduce the chances of getting a ball in the middle.

Now added the drop ball tray to my my Catch & Spind Robots module.
It is mounted using two vacant pin holes in the structure and tray attached via a Tee Beam with 3/4 pins.
Fills in the gaping gap well.

Re Phasing of robots:
Just checked mine and they are about 180 degs out of phase with each other so no balls collide in the discharge chute.

49487572791_7bddf0e325_z.jpg

49487550626_cd2df5c127_z.jpg

Parts required:
49487055723_ab230e5a2a_z.jpg

Edited by Doug72

I think I'll add this very practical tray to my module too. Choice between @Doug72  's implementation (raised with the same tilting as the robot units, stops at both ends) and Akiyuki's one (not raised, inversed tilting so that it can clear the balls to the rear if there is no stop at the rear end).

@Ankoku :

For a symmetrical spinning, the robot's body that must be mirror-rebuilt (not the base) is the one which doesn't spin in the desired direction, and the Z20T driven gear positioned accordingly with respect to the transversal Z12T drive (i.e. on the other side than in my build if one wants outwards spinning, because my robots currently spin inwards).

I'm starting building GBC as completely new theme for me, which module would you recommend me to start from? I have pretty decent amount of Technic and system parts (see my rebrickable profile), plus I'm participating in LUGBULK, so I can plan for needed parts (Technic bricks for example).

I've already bookmarked over dozen of layouts on RB, which is near 100% match in my parts. Previously I had experience building big rally and trial cars and some floor railway layouts (non-automated).

@vspider What are your goals? Simple? Complex?

For a simple GBC, Catch & Release is great.

For a complex GBC, Catch & Spin is great. (You have to buy the instructions from Akiyuki, they are cheap).

Another simple one is Pinball.

A non-Akiyuki one which looks complex is the Cardan Gear Module:

@Ankoku

Thanks a lot! Now I'm thinking of Archimedes screw module as I have many ribbed hoses and one interesting idea for half-bound floor (see images attached) 800x601.jpg800x601.jpg800x369.jpg

Yeah, the slops are not the easiest thing to get a hold of these days.

Will be interesting to see how it turns out for you.

My 2nd attempt on Strain Wave for me.

Did some modifications to the original module.

• added a 2nd XL motor
  • modified drivetrain
  • stiffer frame (lbg part)
  • better ball pickup
  • higher walls in ball drop area

Removed 3x 20T gears. As this configuration generates so much friction itself that its really hard for the motor to move.

640x535.jpg

800x1090.jpg

800x1126.jpg

Edited by dunes
typo

Thanks for this! 

Will try it out since mine gave up because of friction and I didn’t find the mood to do modifications.

Did you remove 3 of the 6 tan gears?

Edited by tismabrick

8 hours ago, tismabrick said:

Did you remove 3 of the 6 tan gears?

Yes. removed the left 3x 20T gears.

Had to redesign the frame cos of the 2nd motor and made it stiffer in this process.

This is now my black gear, which drives the ball pickup and inbox agitator.

800x1090.jpg

Im going to make a digital file from my mods to the frame.

Edited by dunes

Thanks for the file!

Is the marked gear still required? It looks loose (or at least not well attached) like this.

AE9F7AB7-AE3C-482D-A986-4E53B65CE29C.jpe

Edited by tismabrick

its just to have the same load on all sides of turntable during movement.

Almost. The original version has quite a few different parts to the instructions, so had to do an order and need to do another (They don't really impact performance).

Got 3 spring returners, the off-ramp and the ramp round the front to do. So almost done. Hopefully will have it done by the end of the weekend.