So, how are you guys providing electricity for your models? I see most GBC builders use the "Train Speed Regulator 9V" part. Since I'm very new in this world, I wonder: do you guys use the same part?

It seems that the regulator itself is quite cheap. On the other hand, the adaptor to connect it to the powersource is way more expensive. Is it viable to use generic solutions for that?

There are some better generic GBC topics for this since it is not related to Akiyuki. The short answer is yes, you can use cheap aftermarket transformers. I got 10 of them for $25.

Hello everyone,

Here is a MPD file of Akiyuki's GBC Pinball module, which is seen in all his videos showing a multi-modules layout, and still present at Kobe's Brickfest last weekend (see above).

As usual, Akiyuki has made some change over the years, like replacing a brick-built pathway from conveyor belt to pinball by a liftarm-built one, but he kept the original colours (mostly white and yellow over a green baseplate) and I think it's a nice change from the usual Black/DBG pattern. Of course, I used those colours as well in my file.

This is a very simple and reliable module, whose annoying part is the use of a hundred of long pins in black much more costly that blue ones now.

Now that every module (non-mindstorm) that could be done is done (apart from Zig-zag stairs but there is not a single video showing what's on the inside, so how could we be accurate or faithful?), and since building and trying to replicate those modules has been the most fun I had with Lego in years, I hope we won't have to wait long before Akiyuki's next masterpiece.

GBC_Pinball.zip

There are some better generic GBC topics for this since it is not related to Akiyuki. The short answer is yes, you can use cheap aftermarket transformers. I got 10 of them for $25.

Thanks! Sorry for escaping from the topic focus.

>> http://www.planet-gbc.com/?page_id=45 (order used one on Bricklink)

That's a very usefull link, That website is compiling very usefull information on GBC.

@9v:

That's a great video. I love to watch how all those creations work out together so well.

Most of the credit for reverse engineering this module goes to jesuskyr who did the work making the LDraw file based on Akiyuki's video and creating most of the instruction steps. After building the module, I made a some changes:

• The entire output hopper needs to be tipped sideways to allow the balls to flow properly. The hopper is already hinged on the front, but figuring how to support it on the back without screwing anything else up took a while because there are no views of the module from the back.
  • The chevrons in the output hopper which are made of cheese slopes did not fit. This is an example wherein everything looks fine in CAD but doesn't work at all in real life. The chevrons fit so tight that the whole assembly exploded and threw parts all over the room. I had to do some SNOT work with headlights to make it work. I can't be sure that this is how Akiyuki did it, but I suspect it is since it works perfectly.
  • The spiral tower would simply pop off if you tried to pick up the module. I added some additional external supports which required moving some parts around. Now that I look closely, I see that my render shows the old version. The instructions contain the updated version.
  • The spiral lift turned backward so I had to change some gears around.
  • The balls tended to get jammed at the input of the spiral lift and sometimes even resulted in damage. I removed one of the 2x3 slopes and replaced it will cheese slopes and that seemed to solve the problem.

I have finished building the Step Module and found two (minor) issues with the building instructions;

- Page 2 and 3 are identical

- On page 47 you are supposed to connect the structure for the steps to the base for the output hopper.

But based on step 3 on 37 the hole within which the red technic pin 3L (32054) is supposed to go, is already occupied by a black technic pin (2780) (see picture below). Simple fix is to move the connection for the technic liftarm (32524) one slot over.

eurobricks-issue.jpeg

I have tested this module with the Quercetti balls and it seems to be working well enough, although sometimes balls get dropped at the first step (happens onces in the video below). Very happy how this GBC module turned out.

One strange side-effect is that after building this Step Module my Ball Factory has stopped working completely. Any ideas what might be causing this issue? *huh*

eurobricks-broken.jpeg

I think I know why the ball dropped: there were too many of them (crowded). It's an issue with timing, if you look at Akiyuki's video, a new ball rolls down only after the previous one got picked up. You can't have balls waiting one behind the other. You might need to adjust the speed of the motor. I believe the GBC Specification states the rate to about 1 ball every second, and in your video, it was going faster than that.

Edited by DrJB

I think I know why the ball dropped: there were too many of them (crowded). It's an issue with timing, if you look at Akiyuki's video, a new ball rolls down only after the previous one got picked up. You can't have balls waiting one behind the other. You might need to adjust the speed of the motor. I believe the GBC Specification states the rate to about 1 ball every second, and in your video, it was going faster than that.

This should be all set by the gearing. The spiral lift is geared to transmit only one ball per cycle. Not sure why you are seeing multiples, but it looks like there is hangup just as the ball exits the lift and gets to the ramp. Sometimes a ball waits here, and sometimes it does not. You might have to make some small adjustments to that area.

Not sure why you are seeing multiples, but it looks like there is hangup just as the ball exits the lift and gets to the ramp.

Agree about the gearing, but in the video that posted (above), if you look near time 07:00, it's as if two balls (orange/white) are released quickly one after the other.

Edited by DrJB

Agree about the gearing, but in the video that posted (above), if you look near time 07:00, it's as if two balls (orange/white) are released quickly one after the other.

The non-lego balls do not get pushed far enough and are indeed getting stuck, the next ball will push it onto the ramp. Depending on the speed/angle (or whatever) sometimes both are released onto the ramp.

Going to try and make some changes to the lift/off-ramp and if I can it fixed. Thanks for the tips and observations

The non-lego balls do not get pushed far enough and are indeed getting stuck, the next ball will push it onto the ramp. Depending on the speed/angle (or whatever) sometimes both are released onto the ramp.

Going to try and make some changes to the lift/off-ramp and if I can it fixed. Thanks for the tips and observations

By removing the two semi-studs from the engine cylinder on the entrance side the problem is resolved - sometimes balls don't have enough velocity to jump over those studs and miss a cycle, requiring the weight of a second or third ball to push them in.....

OMR

@Blakbird how are you going with the last of the modules? can we possibly update the ones which need to be updated to the latest version eg basket shooter, Archimedes screw etc..

also can you add v1 and v2 of the Archimedes screw to the list?

thanks

Aron (9v system)

@Blakbird how are you going with the last of the modules? can we possibly update the ones which need to be updated to the latest version eg basket shooter, Archimedes screw etc..

I have no objection to updating any of the instructions to the latest version if someone is willing to do the LDraw work on the updates. I am hopeful that Akiyuki's new blog will show the updates to some of the older modules when he gets to writing about them.

I have not made much progress on the last two modules because I've been working other projects the last couple of weeks.

also can you add v1 and v2 of the Archimedes screw to the list?

Yes, I can do that. I didn't intend to list older versions of modules separately, but Akiyuki presents all 3 Archimedes screws at the same time, so they can all be considered distinct modules.

Here is a MPD file for the Lime Step module only seen at Japan Brickfest 2015.

I didn't download this file earlier and it doesn't seem to be there any more. Can you post it again?

No problem, here it is again.

Thanks. I've updated the first post to include the other 2 Archimedes screws and the other modules that are being worked.

Thanks. I've updated the first post to include the other 2 Archimedes screws and the other modules that are being worked.

Nice!

Are you going to build Pinball and W&S or just make instructions for them?

Near 2:50, there is a module called 'Wheel & Steps', and I do not recall seeing that in the past from Akiyuki. Of course, there were other similar contraptions by others, but it's the first time (I see) an Akiyuki version.

Near 2:50, there is a module called 'Wheel & Steps', and I do not recall seeing that in the past from Akiyuki. Of course, there were other similar contraptions by others, but it's the first time (I see) an Akiyuki version.

That one had been discussed a bit already and in fact you will already find a render of it in the first post.

blakbird with regards to the elevator module and how the input is higher than normal, in the marble run video he uses a single spiral lift module which has a VERY long input at the standard height I think we need to add this

thanks 9v system

blakbird with regards to the elevator module and how the input is higher than normal, in the marble run video he uses a single spiral lift module which has a VERY long input at the standard height I think we need to add this

That looks like a separate module. It uses a different motor. It would be a good way to bridge the difference in height though.

I see the Zig-Zag Steps module was removed from the list and replaced by the Pinball module. I like the Zig-Zag Steps and was wondering if it's a temporary or permanent removal?

I see the Zig-Zag Steps module was removed from the list and replaced by the Pinball module. I like the Zig-Zag Steps and was wondering if it's a temporary or permanent removal?

There is no real information about the zig zag steps so it can probably not be replicated.

There is no real information about the zig zag steps so it can probably not be replicated.

there is a video here:

from Alan Burchill showing Zig Zag Steps module from Akiyuki.

So may be not the exact same mechanism as Akiyuki but something that could serve this track.. (from Alan Burchill video, I have feeling behavior is quite similar)

regards