The Ultimate Akiyuki GBC Collection.

This list contains all the parts needed to build ALL the Akiyuki machines listed in this post until now. This one weighs in at 35,624 pieces.

That will be quite a list! I suppose my collection is technically not ultimate because I have not built the Archimedes Screw. On the other hand, I added a couple of thousand tiles to the floor of the ball factory and I am in the process of doing the same thing to the crane loader so that's even more parts.

Once we have models 1, 3 and 23 up here I will release the list with the version number reflecting what the last model number on that list is. For example once we have the last 3 models complete both parts lists at version 23 will be uploaded. I'm also working to streamline the list a little. There are instances of 8x16 tile with tubes on the bottom and 8x16 tiles with tubes only on the bottom sides. I've merged those so that only 1 type of part needs to be ordered. If anyone can think of reasons why one must be used over the other, then let me know and I will revert that change.

I'm still slowly working through yours (and Blackbirds) video + PDF on building the ball factory.. and there's quite a few places where I see.. eg: 2 * 1x4 plate, where a single 1x8 plate would do.

it's always hard when you build/order parts... until you build it, you don't know what parts you REALLY need, and what can easily be substituted...

I was unable to get a lot of 2x2 DBG bricks.... but ended up using a lot of 1x2x2 (tall) bricks, in an || arrangement, and using them where the instructions say to stack two 2x2 bricks.

RB

I'm still slowly working through yours (and Blackbirds) video + PDF on building the ball factory.. and there's quite a few places where I see.. eg: 2 * 1x4 plate, where a single 1x8 plate would do.

it's always hard when you build/order parts... until you build it, you don't know what parts you REALLY need, and what can easily be substituted...

I was unable to get a lot of 2x2 DBG bricks.... but ended up using a lot of 1x2x2 (tall) bricks, in an || arrangement, and using them where the instructions say to stack two 2x2 bricks.

RB

I agree, it really is hard to know when designing what will be easier to access. I've encountered some build where I thought 2x2 bricks would be easier to come by than other alternative parts only to find out it wasn't true. Sometimes it is good to carefully read through the instructions and make notes on either a printed copy or in the PDF of where you could use alternate parts. When designing instructions, there is no way to suggest all the possible alternatives for the parts, so some planning is useful on the part of the builder,

Instructions for Akiyuki's Planet Module are now tested and complete and are available here along with a Brickstore parts list.

• 68 pages
  • 1558 parts
640x360.jpg

Most of the credit for reverse engineering this module goes to Courbet who did the work making an LDraw file with instruction steps. I had the easy job of formatting the instructions. This was the most trouble free instruction and build process I have ever had. I was able to keep the first draft of the instructions because there were no errors.

This module is really reliable and really fun to watch, however it requires some very precise timing. The relative positions of the planets have to be set down to single tooth accuracy. Luckily, Akiyuki has designed in a very simple way to make adjustments using a unique coupler made from 3L axles with stop and a 12 tooth double bevel gear. The gear can be slid back to disengage, rotate one tooth, and re-engage. It only takes a couple of minutes to get everything set. The module is also very long! It is by far the longest of the modules and takes up most of my table.

The planets I used in the instructions are not the same 3 that Akiyuki chose for his video, but any of the variations can be used with no change in function. Each builder should select to their own taste.

Ah, I was eagerly waiting for those. Thanks a lot, Blackbird and Courbet. I'll be building this one soon.

Sooooo...

Talking about balls: how many of you have tried non-lego ones?

I recently bought some 14mm beads to test, but they are a bit smaller and lighter. I believe i won't have trouble in models that do not move balls individually, but I do think it will hugely impact models that move balls individually, like Fork to Fork and planets.

What have you guys experienced so far?

The generic one is, obviously, the black one:

post-124526-0-39468200-1464455257_thumb.jpg

Edited by ThiagoMaster

Hi guys,

I have two mindstorm ev3 kits and lots of motors and I need to build a 6-axis Robot Arm. I saw Akiyuki's build for the

and thought it was really awesome. Do you know if there is a build out for it yet? If not do you know where I should start? I am a beginner at assembling mindstorm things.

Thanks!

I have two mindstorm ev3 kits and lots of motors and I need to build a 6-axis Robot Arm. I saw Akiyuki's build for the

and thought it was really awesome. Do you know if there is a build out for it yet? If not do you know where I should start? I am a beginner at assembling mindstorm things.

A six axis robotic arm is among the most complex things you can build with Mindstorms, so it is not the place to start if you are a beginner. The Mindstorms modules are not part of this topic, and that arm is not even a GBC anyway. I highly suggest you start with a much simpler arm and go from there.

The Mindstorms modules are not part of this topic

Why? They should be. BTW I am reverse engineering the ball cleaner so you can add that one to the list.

Why? They should be. BTW I am reverse engineering the ball cleaner so you can add that one to the list.

That was the scope of the project from the very first post.

That was the scope of the project from the very first post.

still I think you should add them

The ev3 ballsorter is also nearly finished. I still need to order a few parts and some minor fixes have to be applied, but it's working already quite well:

5WL7GhE.jpg?1

Are there others that want to built this module? I would then finish the ldraw file and propose a design to use a second large motor for the spiral case because x1676 is rather rare. A second large motors should be in anybodies inventory with a ev3.

yes I would like to build this as well

Sooooo...

Talking about balls: how many of you have tried non-lego ones?

I recently bought some 14mm beads to test, but they are a bit smaller and lighter. I believe i won't have trouble in models that do not move balls individually, but I do think it will hugely impact models that move balls individually, like Fork to Fork and planets.

What have you guys experienced so far?

The generic one is, obviously, the black one:

https://www.amazon.it/Quercetti-2530-Marbles-Refill-Ricambio/dp/B00TWFXCEA/276-0142546-4456352?ie=UTF8&*Version*=1&*entries*=0

Earlier in this thread (May 4th to be exact) someone posted the link I just reposted above. I took the plunge and ordered 10 (yes TEN) packages of 100 balls each. Total cost was 82 dollars shipped which I thought was beyond fair since that would net you less than 40 balls (vs the 1000) at todays bricklink prices for soccer or basketballs. I received them a week ago and everything was as promised. Even better than stock lego was that the balls don't have the molding holes that can cause them to get stuck on low incline locations. Now I haven't fully tested these for 100% compatibility but when the link was posted the poster mentioned that he has them working perfectly in Bucket Factory and that has seemed to be the most picky GBC out of the 23 so far.

Since Blakbird has all the models built I can send him a bunch of the balls to test (if hes willing) since we seem to have now found a reliable (amazon) and cheap source with international shipping for near perfect replacement balls that will finally end the reign of terror that Bricklink/LEGO has had on us for GBC balls.

Well, if those balls are compatible. Definitely let us know. :)

I have been lurking here for a few days now, and i made basically a bootleg version of Akiyuki's 'Catch and Release' Module. I don't own the soccer/basket balls however i do have zamor spheres. Akiyuki is a genius, seeing this work in person is incredible.

I don't have any powerfunctions or even many gears, so this one was perfect for me. Anyways, just want to highlight my appreciation for what you guys have been doing on here. Keep it up :D

Well, if those balls are compatible. Definitely let us know. :)

They definitely are ! I've tested them (oredered 3x 100 balls) on Bucket Wheel Tower, Spiral StairCase and Ball Factory.

Some videos from Frank Meus on youtube are also showing them on other modules.

to get the balls, this article should help: http://www.planet-gbc.com/?p=1262

Edited by turbopolofr

https://www.amazon.i...*=1&*entries*=0

Earlier in this thread (May 4th to be exact) someone posted the link I just reposted above. I took the plunge and ordered 10 (yes TEN) packages of 100 balls each. Total cost was 82 dollars shipped which I thought was beyond fair since that would net you less than 40 balls (vs the 1000) at todays bricklink prices for soccer or basketballs. I received them a week ago and everything was as promised. Even better than stock lego was that the balls don't have the molding holes that can cause them to get stuck on low incline locations. Now I haven't fully tested these for 100% compatibility but when the link was posted the poster mentioned that he has them working perfectly in Bucket Factory and that has seemed to be the most picky GBC out of the 23 so far.

Since Blakbird has all the models built I can send him a bunch of the balls to test (if hes willing) since we seem to have now found a reliable (amazon) and cheap source with international shipping for near perfect replacement balls that will finally end the reign of terror that Bricklink/LEGO has had on us for GBC balls.

Thanks for sharing that! I missed that post!

They definitely are ! I've tested them (oredered 3x 100 balls) on Bucket Wheel Tower, Spiral StairCase and Ball Factory.

Some videos from Frank Meus on youtube are also showing them on other modules.

to get the balls, this article should help: http://www.planet-gbc.com/?p=1262

That's a great link, most complete information I've seen so far about it. Thanks!

still I think you should add them

When I first started the thread, I did not imagine we would make it this far. I omitted the Mindstorms modules partially to keep the scope of the project reasonable, but also because I don't own any Mindstorms! Of course now that we are nearly complete with the standard modules, it would be possible to add the Mindstorms to the list, or we could start a different list with just those modules. If we are going to do those models, we are going to have to include the program to run each as well.

I admit I love the ball cleaner with a hot and burning love. It would be really cool to have that one. Requires an external compressor though.

Instructions for Akiyuki's Elevator Module are now tested and complete and are available here along with a Brickstore parts list.

• 110 pages
  • 1621 parts
494x640.jpg

Most of the credit for reverse engineering this module goes to Courbet who did the work making an LDraw file with instruction steps. I had the easy job of formatting the instructions.

I had a lot of trouble with this module. The trouble did not come from the instructions, but from the switching mechanism. When the elevator reaches the top of the tower, it triggers a switch which is supposed to reverse the mechanism. However, the switch took to long to operate and in the interim the gears would grind a skip like crazy. It was horrible. I stayed up all night changing things. I tried different length strings, different shock absorbers, different timing, adding extensions to the trigger; none of it worked. I finally tracked the source of the problem to the transmission driving ring. If you just manually switch the trigger back and forth it works fine, but once the cable and motor are under load it does not. The issue is friction between the dogs (tabs) on the driving ring and the clutch gear. If there is significant torque in the joint then the tabs do not want to slide and the driving ring sticks. I tried adding some silicone spray to the driving ring and it completely solved the problem.

There is a bit of timing to set here. Everything at the bottom end is self adjusting including the ball gates and the ramp direction. The gate in the elevator hopper is also self adjusting. The small linear actuator at the top can be used to adjust the trigger. Making it longer biases the trigger towards the white hopper while making it shorter biases it toward the yellow hopper. You need just the right balance. The length of the cable is also important. The 1 meter cable is just right and can be finely adjusted by pulling out the 1/2 pins on the bottom of the hoppers which hold the cable in place. You want just enough length that one hopper reaches the top while the other is at the bottom.

Once complete, the module is very tall and impressive. The tower can be easily separated from the input hopper for transport or storage. The tower uses 4 uniform modules in the middle, so nothing is preventing adding more to make it even taller. You would just need a longer string.

Although the module is now finally reliable, it has some problems if you want to use it in a GBC circuit. Most obviously, it has no output ramp so the balls just drop from a tremendous height. The input ramp is also MUCH higher than the standard calls for which means you can't just put any other module upstream of it. There is not really any way to make the input lower without a complete redesign of the bottom end.

Blackbird, Nice work on the instructions as always.

I had a lot of trouble with this module. The trouble did not come from the instructions, but from the switching mechanism. When the elevator reaches the top of the tower, it triggers a switch which is supposed to reverse the mechanism. However, the switch took to long to operate and in the interim the gears would grind a skip like crazy. It was horrible. I stayed up all night changing things. I tried different length strings, different shock absorbers, different timing, adding extensions to the trigger; none of it worked. I finally tracked the source of the problem to the transmission driving ring. If you just manually switch the trigger back and forth it works fine, but once the cable and motor are under load it does not. The issue is friction between the dogs (tabs) on the driving ring and the clutch gear. If there is significant torque in the joint then the tabs do not want to slide and the driving ring sticks. I tried adding some silicone spray to the driving ring and it completely solved the problem.

I was not expecting you would have trouble with the switch mechanism. Once I exchanged the ridged axle joiner I first used for a smooth one in the driving ring, it solved my switch problem instantly. Also, I used old clutch gears (with teeth), not more recent (smooth) ones. Maybe they are a bit different in the inside.

Although the module is now finally reliable, it has some problems if you want to use it in a GBC circuit. Most obviously, it has no output ramp so the balls just drop from a tremendous height. The input ramp is also MUCH higher than the standard calls for which means you can't just put any other module upstream of it. There is not really any way to make the input lower without a complete redesign of the bottom end.

The Basket Shooter could be used upstream of it, with a slight modification like I did on my video (but the exit from the basket is still awfully close to horizontal). Downstream, it has to be the Marble Run. Have you tried it? (Oh yes, you linked it to the Bucket Wheel Tower. So you have to build a second one !)

I have seen that you have no other module in work. Could you still make instructions from the Step module I posted lately, even if you don't want to build it ?

and finally, I'm working on Akiyuki's old Pinball module (still seen at Brickfest 2015 though). Would you add it to the list and publish instructions for it if I provide a MPD ?

The ev3 ballsorter is also nearly finished. I still need to order a few parts and some minor fixes have to be applied, but it's working already quite well:

Are there others that want to built this module? I would then finish the ldraw file and propose a design to use a second large motor for the spiral case because x1676 is rather rare. A second large motors should be in anybodies inventory with a ev3.

I would like to have a go at this

I have seen that you have no other module in work. Could you still make instructions from the Step module I posted lately, even if you don't want to build it ?

Yes of course. I had forgotten that you had posted it. I guess I was behind, or maybe I had Porsche fever.

and finally, I'm working on Akiyuki's old Pinball module (still seen at Brickfest 2015 though). Would you add it to the list and publish instructions for it if I provide a MPD ?

Did he ever present it officially in a video? I know it shows up in some of his layouts but not in a standalone video. If you can reproduce it from the available data I can certainly make instructions.

ahh.. I've always liked this module... I don't have the funds or time to build every one.. so I'm carefully selecting which ones are possible - and I think I'll try this one..

I'm guessing, since it's just "structure and string", that it should work if you make it taller.. (thinking of a tower to go up to a bridge - over a walkway)

ahh.. I've always liked this module... I don't have the funds or time to build every one.. so I'm carefully selecting which ones are possible - and I think I'll try this one..

I'm guessing, since it's just "structure and string", that it should work if you make it taller.. (thinking of a tower to go up to a bridge - over a walkway)

great idea Rohan, I say go with it!

Yes of course. I had forgotten that you had posted it. I guess I was behind, or maybe I had Porsche fever.

Thanks, but it's a variation on Step module, not Zig-zag Stairs.

Did he ever present it officially in a video? I know it shows up in some of his layouts but not in a standalone video. If you can reproduce it from the available data I can certainly make instructions.

No individual video for this one, and it's the same for all the early modules we see in his first video. But it's the only one from that batch of modules that we get to see in later layouts, so I think it deserves a spot, even if mechanically it's quite simple.

Oh dear. I just bought one box of 100.

Now I have to work out which module I've got the most parts for or have the least expensive ones to buy and that'll be my winter project this year.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed to this fantastic project.

I've never felt so rich (or poor... hahaha):

Ifdloay.png

So, how are you guys providing electricity for your models? I see most GBC builders use the "Train Speed Regulator 9V" part. Since I'm very new in this world, I wonder: do you guys use the same part?

It seems that the regulator itself is quite cheap. On the other hand, the adaptor to connect it to the powersource is way more expensive. Is it viable to use generic solutions for that?

Thanks in advance and sorry if I missed earlier information on this.