This ball factory is really an amazing module! thanks again Blackbird (and all the others) for the excellent work you are doing

I did notice that the beads are 14mm (not sure on their tolerance though, it may be +/- 1mm) and the Lego balls I believe are 14.1mm exactly. That's the most common place I found the beads jammed and showed their inaccuracy and is the #1 reason why I never recommended them for the ball factory.

I have measured my beads, they seem to be 13.7mm, so a bit on the small side.

Those gaps are real. There is not perfect alignment between the SNOT parts. I think there is about a 2 LDU mismatch. However, in the physical build this mismatch doesn't really matter.

I did not know that a 2 LDU mismatch was not a problem. However, I still have made a slightly different solution, as I will show in the next few images.

0jqGUka.jpg

and assembled with a slope

vNOHlXC.jpg

Are we still talking about the spiral lift? I have never had any balls jam in the lift.

Again, I have never had this happen. This may be the result of the non-LEGO beads you are using.

Some pictures would be helpful because I'm not quite sure what you mean.

And a final picture to show what I have done to the bottom of the spiral to make sure the beads will ride the semi sloped part a bit better. For more questions I am happy to provide you with more information.

32FjQkv.jpg

it looks like Lego might start making more of the balls as they'll need them for the new lego ideas set 21305 marble maze which launches next month. hopefully might make them a bit cheaper and easier to get ahold of once more.

I did not know that a 2 LDU mismatch was not a problem. However, I still have made a slightly different solution, as I will show in the next few images.

What does LDU stand for?

Not sure what I was thinking but, to me LDU is a matrix factorization algorithm/form. It basically states that any square/symmetric matrix can be factored as an LDU, for (Lower Triangular, Diagonal, Upper Triangular). Of course, then there is the LDL', L' = L transpose.

it looks like Lego might start making more of the balls as they'll need them for the new lego ideas set 21305 marble maze which launches next month. hopefully might make them a bit cheaper and easier to get ahold of once more.

I was able to confirm through a source that there will be four orange balls (the current friends sets ones) in that maze set just like the ones that are currently available through lego for .91 US each. Not sure the price will come down just because they are making more (I think 2L red axles are .12 each which is crazy!)

What does LDU stand for?

LDU is LDraw Unit. It the standard unit for any LEGO CAD software using LDraw. One stud brick width is 20 LDU, so 2 LDU is only 1/10th of a stud mismatch. A brick height is 24 LDU and a plate height is 8 LDU. You can see that this system was chosen to give a lowest common multiple so that most parts will only ever need an integral dimension and not a fractional one.

Thank you BlakBird ... I just felt like throwing some math in, as that acronym reminded of a course I took a long time back. :)

Now, for the fun of it, I'm building the Invisible Lift in LDD. I think there is an error in step 17 (page 34). The inset calls for 2x grey axle of length 5L. I think what is needed there are 1x 5L and 1x 6L. Anyone encountered this?

Edited by DrJB

Now, for the fun of it, I'm building the Invisible Lift in LDD. I think there is an error in step 17 (page 34). The inset calls for 2x grey axle of length 5L. I think what is needed there are 1x 5L and 1x 6L. Anyone encountered this?

Just checked my build. 2x 5L is correct.

Just checked my build. 2x 5L is correct.

Thanks for checking. Then I'd need to look at the LDraw file (in a 3D viewer) (no LD file available) The view angle from the instructions does not tell how to attach those axles.

Edited by DrJB

Thanks for checking. Then I'd need to look at the LDraw file (in a 3D viewer), as the view angle from the instructions does not tell how to attach those axles.

Not sure what you mean. Those axles are sticking right out the front in plain view in Step 17.

Well, somehow I can't make it with two 5L axles. The first axle has to go through 5L (parts in between, and stick out 1L on each side. One side connects to the 2x 2L thin liftarm with cross holes, and the other end connects to a 2L axle joiner. As such it must be at least 7L long. But, since it's sticking out 2L (when connected to the 2L joiner), it has to have a 8L length. Now, a related 'issue' is on page 29 (step 9). There, it calls for 3x 3L axles, but in the picture I can only see where two are placed (the cranks that connect the 4x 2L thin liftarms).

Well, somehow I can't make it with two 5L axles. The first axle has to go through 5L (parts in between, and stick out 1L on each side. One side connects to the 2x 2L thin liftarm with cross holes, and the other end connects to a 2L axle joiner. As such it must be at least 7L long. But, since it's sticking out 2L (when connected to the 2L joiner), it has to have a 8L length. Now, a related 'issue' is on page 29 (step 9). There, it calls for 3x 3L axles, but in the picture I can only see where two are placed (the cranks that connect the 4x 2L thin liftarms).

The 5L axles do NOT connect to the 2x2 thin liftarms. In fact the whole machine won't work if you connect it that way. The 2x2 liftams are part of the skotch yoke mechanism and they are already fully supported by axles (in this case 3L) in Step 9 on Page 29. The 5L axle in Step 17 on Page 34 butts up against the 3L but does not connect to it. They rotate at vastly different rates. If that still doesn't make sense I can make a clarifying image from the LDraw file.

@blakbird here is the file for the updated spiral lift type 2. im hoping to get my parts tomorrow so I can brick build it.

Thanks! I am anxious to hear your experience building the double height and how well it works. I have finished a preliminary LDraw file of the single height version:

600x600.jpg

One thing that bothers me somewhat is that the pitch of the hose portions is very uneven. Some are much steeper than others due to the spacing between the supports. I can't really tell if Akiyuki used the same pitches based on his video. In any case, it is not really noticeable in the image except by very odd people like myself.

The 5L axles do NOT connect to the 2x2 thin liftarms. In fact the whole machine won't work if you connect it that way. The 2x2 liftams are part of the skotch yoke mechanism and they are already fully supported by axles (in this case 3L) in Step 9 on Page 29. The 5L axle in Step 17 on Page 34 butts up against the 3L but does not connect to it. They rotate at vastly different rates. If that still doesn't make sense I can make a clarifying image from the LDraw file.

Thanks, I somehow thought it was the same axle going through. It must have been 'difficult' to figure this out from just the video. If anything at all, this gives an appreciation into how much work it is to reverse engineer. Thanks again.

Thanks, I somehow thought it was the same axle going through. It must have been 'difficult' to figure this out from just the video. If anything at all, this gives an appreciation into how much work it is to reverse engineer. Thanks again.

Akiyuki does this trick fairly regularly, having 2 axles on the same axis turning at different speeds. Cup-to-Cup and Step-to-Step both do it as well. It causes me problems almost every time until I start running the numbers to figure out rotation rates and then it becomes obvious that they are not connected. I think this is something that would not be done in an official set simply because it is so easy to build it wrong and if you do the machine will jam.

Thanks! I am anxious to hear your experience building the double height and how well it works. I have finished a preliminary LDraw file of the single height version:

One thing that bothers me somewhat is that the pitch of the hose portions is very uneven. Some are much steeper than others due to the spacing between the supports. I can't really tell if Akiyuki used the same pitches based on his video. In any case, it is not really noticeable in the image except by very odd people like myself.

@blakbird looks good just one thing though: I think the 1x15 beams on the chain should be DBG

@blakbird looks good just one thing though: I think the 1x15 beams on the chain should be DBG

Yes, that's the way they look on the single height version but then he changed them to black for the double height. I like the look of the black a bit better which is why I rendered it that way.

There are way too many DBG parts in Akiyuki's GBCs, and it's getting 'pricey' to get DBG parts off bricklink ... unless one wants to build a 'circus' (colorful) version :laugh:

One of the Brickvention Melbourne Team (Lisa) just finished a Pink/Purple/White Friends-style Ball Factory! it's pretty crazy cool!

Might see if she can upload a decent video (it's only on our facebook page so far)

640x798.jpg

the mixel eyeballs on the main back-forth section are pretty funny to watch go around..

One of the Brickvention Melbourne Team (Lisa) just finished a Pink/Purple/White Friends-style Ball Factory! it's pretty crazy cool!

Next year's Brickvention circuit will be pretty crazy if we have Aron's, Steve's, Lisa's and your ball factory! That makes a solid four;p

Next year's Brickvention circuit will be pretty crazy if we have Aron's, Steve's, Lisa's and your ball factory! That makes a solid four;p

We will definitely need a layout area similar to the train layout. Will definitely push the others to the balcony next year.

...so I should build something *other* than another factory? ;)

If I ever finish it I could add my ball factory to that as well,its just a few finishing touches away, just need to complete the input and output and get it all dialled in.

I've also got a completed Basketball shooter which needs a little bit of a tune up.

Edited by Ice Wolf

If you would like to see the Akiyuki GBC or display with him, he is participating in Japan Brickfest organised by Kansai Lego User Group at Canadian Academy in Kobe Rokko Island , Japan on June 4th and 5th. He is such a talented person. He is also holding workshops to teach GBC .

If you would like to see the Akiyuki GBC or display with him, he is participating in Japan Brickfest organised by Kansai Lego User Group at Canadian Academy in Kobe Rokko Island , Japan on June 4th and 5th. He is such a talented person. He is also holding workshops to teach GBC .

That would be amazing! To study under Akiyuki, the Archimedes of our time! I know that could be a controversial statement, but who can think of anyone else these days who is creating such elaborate purely mechanical devices?