I built this model last weekend. I found that it did not consistently pick up balls so I made a couple of adjustments:

• Raised the floor of the hopper by one plate
  • The model is somewhat sensitive to the rubber bands that are used. I used a doubled up blue band and found that it was too tight so the downward force was not enough to force the jaws open. I changed to a small white band looped over only two of the three fingers. I recommend just using whatever you can get to work. The module works very well once adjusted.

Thanks for instruction^^ I am very happy with your comments.

The catch and release link to the files does not work...

Just remove some superfluous characters from the end and you get the correct filenames:

http://www.bricksafe...and Release.pdf

http://www.bricksafe.com/files/blakbird/Renders/MOCs/catch-and-release/Parts%20List.bsx

Edited by Theo van Vroenhoven

The catch and release link to the files does not work...

Sorry about that: copy-paste error. I've fixed the links.

Blakbird et al, thanks for all the hard work getting this together. Before I take the plunge a build a few, I notice that some of the modules are using control panels or EV3 controllers. Is this necessary, or can PFs work as well? Would be helpful if you can list which module requires what controller!

Blakbird et al, thanks for all the hard work getting this together. Before I take the plunge a build a few, I notice that some of the modules are using control panels or EV3 controllers. Is this necessary, or can PFs work as well? Would be helpful if you can list which module requires what controller!

I haven't included any Mindstorms modules in this thread. Every module listed in the first post is PF-only and so are all the instructions. We do have some enthusiastic users working on some of the EV3 models, but none are presently listed.

Not sure what you mean by "control panel", but is customary to run the modules with an old 9V train regulator so you can run them from wall power and adjust the speed. Alternatively, you could just use the rechargeable battery or even a regular battery box.

For anyone who has already downloaded it, I've made a small update to the Catch and Release instructions. I had forgotten to put "4x" on the page showing how to build the grabber arms.

Instructions for Akiyuki's Catch and Release module are now tested and complete

Curious as to why your instructions have the one-way catch on it (red)... I found this module didn't care which way it ran!

I've recently modified mine, so that one end of the catch-ramp can be angled the other way, to recirculate balls back into the hopper... since it's so effective, it clears balls too quickly before people get a chance to see it! :)

Just finished the pneumatic module(only cad, http://www.bricksafe...tic/pn_main.mpd)!!

I guess that this may need some corrections after real building.

Thanks! I will add it to the queue. I am really looking forward to this one. I would like it if this module could include a brick-built pneumatic compressor to go with it so a shop compressor is not needed. The air requirements are not that high so it should be possible. Can anyone recommend an existing efficient design?

Curious as to why your instructions have the one-way catch on it (red)... I found this module didn't care which way it ran!

The short answer is that the instructions have the ratchet because Akiyuki used one (in his later versions). However, I agree with you. Having now built this, it is clear that it can run in either direction with really no difference in operation.

I like this Projekt from Akiyuki : LEGO Automatic Crane Loader for GBC Train .

It´s not big Video from this to make a Replica , very hard Work to do this but i think the User : alanburchill it´s on the right way :sweet:

@ alanburchill : please post your Resultat here

THX Mogwai from Germany (live in Poland)

Edited by Mogwai

Haha! Thanks Alan, funny thing - I just finished my train modules yesterday evening with some improvisation and my eyes way out of their sockets after reviewing the Akiyuki's video so many times. I should've just wait for your post :-)

Edited by MajklSpajkl

Good morning Akiyuki Addicts. I wanted to let the group know that I have assembled the parts for a couple of copies of the Bucket Wheel Tower. I am offering these for $250 plus shipping. Right now they are posted in my Bricklink store Utah Brick Works under Sets/Technic, but feel free to contact me here as well.

I am in the process of collecting parts for Cup to Cup and Catch and Release and I should have these sets available in a few weeks. I am pricing these sets at the average cost of the parts currently available on Bricklink plus about 10% to cover my time assembling the sets.

Train Module instructions are here... http://www.moc-pages...ocs.php?id=8044

Thanks. Note that this is not the automatic train loader module that many of us are familiar with. This is the much older and simpler train module. The link takes you to some LDD files, but not actual instructions. Has anyone tried building this to confirm it works?

I finished the Zigzag Lift(Cad only, http://www.bricksafe...zag/zg_main.mpd):

You work fast and I am falling behind! I guess I need to start trying to catch up.

I finished the Zigzag Lift(Cad only, http://www.bricksafe...zag/zg_main.mpd)

I have been thinking about the zig-zag lift. Those who have tried to build it have commented that it jams a lot. In Akiyuki's blog, he also mentions this problem and says that he added an indexer to solve this problem, but there are no videos of it. I assume it is similar to the indexer in the invisible lift or other modules which allows only a single ball per cycle. We should probably try to find a way to incorporate this.

Good morning Akiyuki Addicts. I wanted to let the group know that I have assembled the parts for a couple of copies of the Bucket Wheel Tower. I am offering these for $250 plus shipping. Right now they are posted in my Bricklink store Utah Brick Works under Sets/Technic, but feel free to contact me here as well.

I am in the process of collecting parts for Cup to Cup and Catch and Release and I should have these sets available in a few weeks. I am pricing these sets at the average cost of the parts currently available on Bricklink plus about 10% to cover my time assembling the sets.

Very interested, but as a poor college student with a wife not very appreciative of my LEGO habit, I'll have to defer.

:hmpf_bad:

I have been thinking about the zig-zag lift. Those who have tried to build it have commented that it jams a lot. In Akiyuki's blog, he also mentions this problem and says that he added an indexer to solve this problem, but there are no videos of it. I assume it is similar to the indexer in the invisible lift or other modules which allows only a single ball per cycle. We should probably try to find a way to incorporate this.

I just found the zig-zag lift video with the indexer at 1min 14 sec of

I'd like to (try) to make an LDraw file for the marble run.

No idea when I'll be finished, but I'd like to use LDcad's flexible part system a little more :wink:

Just one little thing: it looks like he used a lot of those rigid hoses. Would it be better to make 2 long hoses in the LDraw file, or really try to mimic his setup of a lot of smaller hoses?

EDIT: if anyone's working on the elevator; it looks like the exit of the balls is a little different in the marble-run video. There's a Bionicle tooth that turns to push the balls away and there's a very precise groove to direct the balls into the next module (the marble run in the video).

Anyone else dying to know how this is going?!! I am very excited for this module.

I just found the zig-zag lift video with the indexer at 1min 14 sec of

That looks pretty simple! Any interest in adding it to your file?

Edit: It is mechanically simple, but it requires substantial modifications to the existing module to add the 1 stud space between the input hopper and the lift.

I also think that this module needs an output ramp of some sort. Right now it just lifts the balls up and drops them off the top. That same video shows a zig-zag output ramp that I think would be good to add.