Sign in to follow this  
mordatre

[MOD/MOC] 75104 x2. Snow Owl and the Bat

Hello.

Everybody posts wip-threads so I might as well do that to find out what you think this far.

I really like shuttles so this new shuttle from Force Awakens really got my attention. The change in design from early concept to final picture makes this a must to MOD.

So I set out to make a black one, even though Pearl dark gray would be a great color but the parts aren´t available. So black it is. Then there was an early poster that also showed a white shuttle so of course I had to make a white one as well.

Thanks to mqbui1´s thread about his black shuttle mod, I chose to build them from scratch since most parts needed to be replaced. I also looked at billiamy´s use of technic click hinges and decided that they would be the best to use. I also had a close look at the other toy manufacturers versions of this shuttle to see what Lego might have missed (the landing gear was the most obvious part missing/changed).

Most of the parts were found in my own collection but $80 on Bricklink helped alot. :)

I´m still waiting for the last parts to arrive from Bricks and Pieces so I did not bother with any nice photos yet.

Since I intend to use them for display on a shelf and in a MOC I really had no use of the folding mechanism to retract the stabilizers. Instead I chose to simply make the top part of the stabilizers replaceable. It also made the horrid gaps needed for this folding mechanism to go away. The landing gear are also simple to click back on when I wish to display it in landed mode.

Here´s a shot of the Bat in landed mode. The windshield is not all trans red as you can see, this is to not to deviate from my design in the white one, and there simply aren´t any good trans red parts to use without sacrificing the overall design around the windshield.

22623393548_39245923cb_o.jpgshuttleblack01 by mordatre, on Flickr

22649538149_dd4aea7811_o.jpgshuttleblack02 by mordatre, on Flickr

Here´s the Snow Owl with one of the tall extensions of the stabilizers attached, and below you can see how it´s attached. The top of the stabilizers are as sturdy as the rest of the ship and will not rattle at all. I chose to include some light bluish gray in this white shuttle to relieve the eye of all white. Lego´s white is so bright it needs to have something to break it off.

22420583413_d6de251962_o.jpgshuttlewhite01 by mordatre, on Flickr

22415427483_90236373ae_o.jpgwing connection by mordatre, on Flickr

So, do the wings extand on the black one or no. I assume they can't based on the white one but i'm not sure. If you managed to fit the mechanism inside the wing i'd like to know how !

So, do the wings extand on the black one or no. I assume they can't based on the white one but i'm not sure. If you managed to fit the mechanism inside the wing i'd like to know how !

No, the stabilizers would need to be way too thick to incorporate the top wings inside. Both my shuttles uses the replacable top fin.

The shuttle looks damn good in black.

The wings look much better with the folding mechanism removed and the holes covered up. However, I must say that I find the folding quite satisfying so I'm gonna re-use TLGs design on my shuttle MOC.

Am looking forward to seeing the photos when you've finished. Thanks for posting.

Edited by belkor

The shuttle looks damn good in black.

The wings look much better with the folding mechanism removed and the holes covered up. However, I must say that I find the folding quite satisfying so I'm gonna re-use TLGs design on my shuttle MOC.

Am looking forward to seeing the photos when you've finished. Thanks for posting.

Thanks. The white shuttle will probably be ready this week. Then I´ll also add some better photos of the black one. This ship is actually alot more fun to swoosh around when the stabilizers are tilted 45 degree´s. :)

22920676120_3004ebfde1_o.jpgowlflight by mordatre, on Flickr

I´m now finished with the white one. The black one should be finished soon as well.

I also added two pictures to compare with the official set.

22588037944_e157a5f281_o.jpgSO01 by mordatre, on Flickr

22848508629_82c4633e72_z.jpgSO03 by mordatre, on Flickr

22589375893_16f2560e00_b.jpgSO04 by mordatre, on Flickr

22589359133_fe7fe0db90_b.jpgSO05 by mordatre, on Flickr

22920671420_75e8ef7124_z.jpgshuttlecomp2 by mordatre, on Flickr

22822333207_22bd3cc0c7.jpgshuttlecomp by mordatre, on Flickr

Wow! The version in white looks great!

I really like the simplicity of your 'disappearing wing' solution as well. When in flight mode, the wings have a perfect taper with much less bulk - looks awesome. Same when retracted. Your mod tricks the eye into believing the top half of the wing is retracted down inside like a glove. Nicely done!

Fantastic work mate, well done.

One thing though - but the V-wing angle looks a bit shallow, I believe they should be more upright (judging by the brief scene in the trailer when they're flying up to the Star Destroyer).

Black gets my vote, but the white looks wicked too. Both are certainly better than the official DBG version.

Thanks guys. :)

@ Azrielsc - The wings work the same way as with the white one. Upper half of the wing is replaceable with a short or long fin.

@belkor - We don´t know yet how much the wings will fold when in flight. If it turns out they only fold as much as the trailer shows I´ll simply use the next click on the hinges. ;)

Thanks guys. :)

@ Azrielsc - The wings work the same way as with the white one. Upper half of the wing is replaceable with a short or long fin.

Oh I see.

Yes, you mentioned it in your initial post, my bad!

Can't wait to receive mine so I could see what are the differences that you have done and not speak out of my bum. :blush:

Have you had any kind of reference material? I am intending on building this magnificient ship on minifigure scale once the movie comes out, because there isnt mucht information to be found about the ship. I also really want to know how the interior of the ship is. I hope the movie will give some kind of insight!

Have you had any kind of reference material? I am intending on building this magnificient ship on minifigure scale once the movie comes out, because there isnt mucht information to be found about the ship. I also really want to know how the interior of the ship is. I hope the movie will give some kind of insight!

I googled pics from other toy manufacturers. Revell had the most detailed. Hopefully the ship on screen wont differ too much. :)

@belkor - We don´t know yet how much the wings will fold when in flight. If it turns out they only fold as much as the trailer shows I´ll simply use the next click on the hinges. ;)

I've seen another "composite" trailer on the Disney channel and I think your pic is correct. There's a shot showing the shuttle leaving a planet and the wings are folded down more, and look to be folding up as the picture transitions to the clip where it approaches the star destroyer.

Edited by belkor

I've seen another "composite" trailer on the Disney channel and I think your pic is correct. There's a shot showing the shuttle leaving a planet and the wings are folded down more, and look to be folding up as the picture transitions to the clip where it approaches the star destroyer.

Well, there´s only a few more days until we´ll find out. :) I would hate to rebuild the entire shuttle.

Well, there´s only a few more days until we´ll find out. :) I would hate to rebuild the entire shuttle.

Here's a couple of grainy pics (sorry - that's all I could muster) from trailers showing the V wing in action from a new angle. The shot only lasts a second before it switches to the view of the shuttle approaching the Star Destroyer

Pt39WjC.png0CtFOmX.png

Wowzers! Can't believe I missed these. The whole debacle over all the miscolored toys of this shuttle is pure hilarity. I mean, Disney thought the color of this shuttle was an important movie secret? :wacko: You've come up with the ideal solution to that problem: make all three of the colors! My personal favorite is the white, cuz it hearkens back to the OT Imperial shuttle.

Here's a couple of grainy pics (sorry - that's all I could muster) from trailers showing the V wing in action from a new angle. The shot only lasts a second before it switches to the view of the shuttle approaching the Star Destroyer

Good find. Well it looks like my angle will work. :) But the fuselage needs to be thinner.

Oh wow, the Version in the white looks even better to me than the black one. Kind of a demonized evolution of the lambda class, with a more aggressive V-Shape Wing Style and blood-red viewport on the front :wub: