DrJB

EV3 + Raspberry IP + Arduino

I've been quiet for a while on this forum (for sure many must have appreciated that :wink:). The reason is, I went exploring RPI/Arduino, and there is much more one can do than the EV3 by itself. The large variety of sensors out there opens up many possibilities. I'm just getting started though and been only replicating what others have done.

1. Has any of you explored this, for example BrickPI and the like?

2. Would we see more mix-and-match in the future?

3. Where does Lego/EV3 fit in this IOT microcosm? (IOT = Internet Of Things)

Edited by DrJB

:)

I've return from the Dark Age because of the Pi, two years ago. Was using a Pi and trying Scratch when I found LEGO WeDO. I got two Power Functions kits (Motor-M + AA Battery + Lights...) and "adapted" the PF motors to control them with the Pi and an H-bridge. Then I found Bricklink, then I got adicted and after a while my wife found PLUG and... oh boy.

Arduino doesn't appeal so much as the Pi. But I've been using a NodeMCU in Arduino mode to develop a small WiFi LEGO car, trying to achieve a size compatible to LEGO Speed Champions.

I've not explored the BrickPi yet, but I will now that I've got a Pi2. To much computing power to be ignored.

I'm pretty sure we will see more mix-and-match in the future. I would love if LEGO would make an EV4 with more horse-power. But even now, ev3dev is partning with RobotC trying to put ev3dev in the EV3 as a firmware instead of just an SD card. That will make a strong combination: ev3dev and RobotC.

IoT is just a buzzword. With ev3dev, RobotC, LeJOS and a few other projects, anyone can already connect the EV3 to the Net, but it's not "plug and play" yet. Perhaps if LEGO or a third party creates a IoT gateway things grow faster.

Edited by MajorAlvega

Quiet is good. :classic:

I've been playing around with an Arduino clone to control Power Function trains: http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=110202

Arduino is very inexpensive and easy for input/output at TTL levels if you don't have to a lot of complex calculations. Pi is better if you need a general purpose computer to run an operating system on.

I have an ESP8266-12 wifi SoC module but I haven't done much with it yet. I haven't tried to Arduino to NXT through Bluetooth either. So much stuff and so little money.

Being able to control devices and read sensors over a network has been around for long time. Don't forget to implement good security in your designs. :wink:

"EV3 + Raspberry IP + Arduino"

I will not make me but friends ...... But why not a PC ?

That's a good question. If you're using the EV3, or the Pi, or the Arduino, you're most certainly using also a PC.

The PC usually is to big + clumsy + expensive. And usually it's also difficult to interface to something like LEGO. And even when you have something to interface it's difficult to do what you want if you're using Windows.

But I do use my laptop sometimes:

- it's portable enough for some of my projects, altough rather expensive so have to be sure to make no electrical mistakes;

- I've found some USB devices that allow me to do what I want like a relay board or a 1-wire bus controller; also use LEGO WeDO (USB) and Vengit SBrick (Bluetooth 4.0) and IrDroid (earphone jack or USB)

- I use linux so getting to the devices is easier

- it allows me to debug more easily

- it allows me to test some code (Ubuntu) that later I'll use with the Pi (Raspbian) or the EV3 (ev3dev) sometimes with no modifications at all

It depends on what you want to do whether a PC is more appropriate or not. The PC can be too power hungry to run off 4 AA batteries, not easy to sew into your clothes, very tight fit inside a LEGO train, etc. It can be like using a sledgehammer to tap in a tiny pin into your metal watch wrist strap.

The PC is an interesting option for BIG and/or complex systems, like Trains.

I got some RFID tags that I've been using with trains controlled by SBricks (could be LEGO PF IR also).

I use USB RFID readers to detect the train passing by and LEGO WeDo to control track switches and lights.

I'm thinking of using the laptop as a central coordinator for EV3 and probably some Pi. But have not enough room space for such a setup so keep delaying that project.

I did a little research and found two very small PC, 60 g, with the shape of a USB stick.

I think this route should not be overlooked.

Here are two links in french, sorry:

http://www.lesnumeriques.com/ordinateur/intel-compute-stick-p26581/medpi-2015-intel-compute-stick-pc-format-cle-usb-n42449.html

http://www.lesnumeriques.com/ordinateur/archos-pc-stick-p27217/archos-presente-son-mini-pc-hdmi-stick-n43499.html

Edited by oracid

Intel Compute Sticks offer computing power in a small USB package. It doesn't look like it has easily accessible General Purpose IO ports that development boards have. One could make or get an IO to USB board to connect sensors, motor control ICs, etc. There is always some way to get things to work with enough time, resources or money. The prix de 150$ is higher than Raspberry Pi ($35) or Arduino UNO ($25). Pi and UNO don't come with Bluetooth and Wifi onboard but can be added. If you prefer programming for Intel, Intel has a Galileo development board based on a 32-bit Pentium system SoC chip for around $70.

An Arduino clone board can be bought for the low price of $5 plus free shipping from China. Connect reed switches and IR LED directly to it, upload a quick program and have a little self-contained unit controlling LEGO Power Functions.

If Bluebooth needed, a little Bluebooth module board can be had for around $6 with free shipping from China. ESP8266 wifi module board is around $5.

I do need a PC to write and upload my code to the Arduino. Once loaded, I no longer need my PC. I can leave it at home and take only the Arduino to my LUG events like outdoor kids picnics.

You can certainly use a PC to control your LEGO if you have a PC preference. It's an option among others. You could get some complex control system going with a PC as supervisor over various microcontroller devices that function as remote sensors and controls.

Yes, I guess with Arduino we can do many things, provided you add a lot of material.

At home I have 2 PC with a Surface Pro 2. This PC weighs 920g. Sure, it's heavier than EV3 which weighs 285g, or an Arduino. But can one compare?

I have no expertise in robotics, but suppose that I want to build a humanoid with large capacity, I will need a large computing capacity.

But back on earth, I would say that my achievements in LEGO drive with a PC and with the EV3 software development, but without going through the brick EV3 and even without an actual physical realization LEGO .

In short, he is a software emulator of EV3 with fictitious motors, sensors fictitious, a fictional environment etc ...

My idea would be to develop everything on a PC in total virtual and then transposed into real life with or without EV3.

Is it reasonably possible?

I hope I made it clear, my English is not very good.