oracid

LEGO - EV3 - GREEN WHEELS, robot base with XL motors

My goal was to create an inside robotic base, large enough and powerful, and affordable prices, to meet the majority of needs.

Thanks to its speed and power, this robot could pick a fairly heavy load. But more typically, it may be used as video surveillance tool for a large area.

For the mechanics, I strongly inspired by my DELTA rover, http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=115732&hl=delta , strongly reinforcing its structure.

At first I thought to use the Big EV3 servomotor. In absolute terms, these servos have a great power, but in practice, once you ask them a high torque, they lose their positioning, which slowed sharply. So I opted for 2 XL motors by changing the connections of cables EV3, inspiring me to this video

To illustrate the effectiveness of these technical choices in the video that I offer, I chose to encode a dance, a waltz.

In this video, I think it feels good power and speed of the robot. If you pay attention to the dance, you will find that the precision motors XL is quite satisfactory. I think that there is no obligation to use actuators for moving a robot. I think it is entirely legitimate to use existing sensors (GPS, gyro, etc.), for positioning.

For programming XL motors, you must use the blue block Unregulated Motor Block. The blocks commonly used for the actuators are not suitable since they do not allow to modulate the power.

Please find below my simple program, as an example.

319952IMG0867.jpg978318IMG0881.jpg

421012IMG0869.jpg418420IMG0873.jpg

847369IMG0882.jpg229290GreenWheelsProg.jpg

Great looking little Bot! Good dancer too!

Andy D

Edited by Andy D

C'est une très belle création.

Edit: I should learn to read slower.

Edited by BusterHaus

I've been collecting such wheels (green/black) for a while and been pondering if I could use all of them at once in the same project. Very nice MOC that you have built, certainly very inspiring. Now, I personally would not run such wheels on a rough surface because of a skid-steer effect i.e., the wheels undergo large lateral friction in turns, and that may 'wear' them.

I've been collecting such wheels (green/black) for a while and been pondering if I could use all of them at once in the same project. Very nice MOC that you have built, certainly very inspiring. Now, I personally would not run such wheels on a rough surface because of a skid-steer effect i.e., the wheels undergo large lateral friction in turns, and that may 'wear' them.

The lateral slippage is ok in a home interior and on a hard surface. There, where it could be problem is on a soft surface such as a lawn.

Edit: I should learn to read slower.

?