Iria

Elves: Episodes and Media Thread

Yesterday at BronyCon my brother and I got a copy of Farran and the Crystal Hollow signed by Kyle Rideout, the voice of Farran! He said this was the first time he'd been asked to sign a Lego set and asked if we were excited for the Netflix series (obviously, the answer was yes). Now I have two different Lego Elves sets signed by the voice actors (after getting Ashleigh Ball to sign Emily Jones and the Baby Wind Dragon last year)!

Well done for the second year!!!

The beginning of a cool collection! And it is always pleasant to meet people in real and can tell them what great job they do!

Ok guys, time to move with this topic.
We all know the Netflix series will soon show up.  WIll it be just the story we already saw in the webisodes? That would make no sense.
And the ending of the Wepisodes also suggests continuation...

8 hours ago, Lordofdragonss said:

Ok guys, time to move with this topic.
We all know the Netflix series will soon show up.  WIll it be just the story we already saw in the webisodes? That would make no sense.
And the ending of the Wepisodes also suggests continuation...

I almost expect it to be an expansion of the webisodes, rather than a follow-up—after all, while a few key plot beats seem to be covered by the webisodes (including, strangely, what feels like a climactic finale to this year's main conflict), there are many important plot beats that aren't (for instance, Emily and the Elves meeting Rosalyn for the first time).

Still, for now the conclusion of the webisodes gives me some hope that this year might not end the series, or at least, might not rule out future adventures. The cracked amulet feels more like the introduction of a new plotline than the conclusion of the story, and the shadow servant's final attack (even after Cronan is no longer an immediate threat) feels almost like the setup for a new, more dangerous antagonistic force.

Netflix has added the first trailer for the new series! https://www.netflix.com/title/80105933

Surprisingly, it uses a new animation style instead of the one from previous years or the one used for this year's webisodes. It looks great, but is a bit of a shock for me after having psyched myself up for more Lego-like animation.

Wow. Completely anime style. At least TLG realized that the big head style of the webisodes was horrid.

5 minutes ago, Bentonton said:

Wow. Completely anime style. At least TLG realized that the big head style of the webisodes was horrid.

Considering that this new series and the webisodes were probably in development simultaneously, I doubt that had anything to do with it (a good thing, too, since I still adore the more set-accurate style of this year's webisodes).

They most likely just decided to opt for two different styles, with the webisodes (being more widely accessible as promotional media) getting a more set-like style and the Netflix series getting more elaborate (and probably more expensive) animation.

I *love* the new style! It's definitely a style that I think can be taken more seriously as a television series than the actual animated minidolls. I can see this show being a big hit with both fans of the toy line and just brand new fans (since really, the stories are pretty well done for a "kiddie" product).

I can't wait for September!

Sorry but this looks horrible -  like generic anmated crap Japan spits daily... Also Is not hard to notice that trailer is filled with usual basic fetis.... fanservice.

After I saw the new Wepisodes I hoped we will stay with  "More like bricks" style which I adore.

Edited by Lordofdragonss

54 minutes ago, Lordofdragonss said:

Sorry but this looks horrible -  like generic anmated crap Japan spits daily... Also Is not hard to notice that trailer is filled with usual basic fetis.... fanservice.

After I saw the new Wepisodes I hoped we will stay with  "More like bricks" style which I adore.

I miss the webisode style a bit too, but I can't say I see what you're seeing. The new animation is very high-quality (comparable to great series like The Legend of Korra or Voltron: Legendary Defender, imo) and if there was any "fanservice", I certainly didn't notice it.

The animation looks quite nice in my eyes. Curious what studio's in charge of that. LIke Lyi, I'm surprised that they're implementing not one but two new art styles this year (one for the webisodes, one for Netflix), but I can't say I dislike either of them.

Earlier today, Kotaku shared both an alternate/extended cut of the first trailer and a second, totally new trailer. Wonder if anybody will try to MOC the expanded version of the Goblin King's Fortress as it appears in this series.

Just now, AyliffeMakit said:

Nice! I definitely see the resemblance and it's neat to know that's no coincidence. I have to applaud LEGO for that choice since it's fairly rare for them to reach out to non-Danish animation studios for their TV or streaming content.

Had to watch the trailers without sound since I'm at work, but I can say it's visually impressive. Up to par with Mir's other works, which is fantastic.

I wouldn't say I'm an Elves fan. Never bought any of the sets, haven't watched any of the show/webisodes, and haven't kept up with the story. But I may check this out since I love Studio Mir's work. And as I said, the trailers looked fantastic.

But what I'm really hoping is that this ends with some sort of partnership or simply good terms between Lego and Studio Mir. I'd love to see them produce more shows for Lego. 

Just think if Exo Force was rebooted. Just think of Exo Force animated by Studio Mir. You can't tell me that wouldn't be awesome.

My daughter and I binge watched the Netflix series yesterday.(her first binge watch session ?)

It was pretty cute...like most 4 year olds she wants all of the animals in Lego form. Can't say I disagree, bring on the jackalopes and elk! 

Edited by Gobias1234
A word

Binged the series as well - I did really enjoy it, and despite some odd moments in pacing, it was quite entertaining for the most part. I really like how eight episodes allowed for a greatly expanded lore and the Goblin King was given more of a sympathetic backstory and motivation. Overall, I'd definitely recommend it! The animation style is great and the visuals are spectacular. I only wish there was new, fresh music composed as well - don't get me wrong, the standard theme was great, but hearing it over and over again got a bit old.

Anyone get Webisode 33 - The Final Battle? Not on Lego Elves' site and looks like maybe pulled off of youtube (other than a Russian version). If you grabbed it before it was down, can you put it up on Mega or elsewhere? 

Btw, love the new series on Netflix too!

On 10/23/2017 at 10:58 AM, deusxanime said:

Anyone get Webisode 33 - The Final Battle? Not on Lego Elves' site and looks like maybe pulled off of youtube (other than a Russian version). If you grabbed it before it was down, can you put it up on Mega or elsewhere? 

Btw, love the new series on Netflix too!

The previous couple webisodes also got pulled down from YouTube but were later re-uploaded to the LEGO Elves website. I think it's a case of the YouTube videos accidentally being released early. So it seems to me like we should see Webisode 33 back up eventually. Haven't seen it back up yet, though.

1 hour ago, Aanchir said:

The previous couple webisodes also got pulled down from YouTube but were later re-uploaded to the LEGO Elves website. I think it's a case of the YouTube videos accidentally being released early. So it seems to me like we should see Webisode 33 back up eventually. Haven't seen it back up yet, though.

Thanks for the info, hopefully it will get re-upped soon. If anyone see it, post here!

Webisode 33 is back up on Lego.com. Additionally, the recently discovered Russian catalog pages that show that there will be new webisodes in this year's style next year. Hopefully Secrets of Elvendale will be returning as well!

There's a pretty cool glimpse into this year's story on YouTube.

Some takeaways from it:

• The four animal "guardians" are the source of Elvendale's magic.
  • Noctura is thousands of years old and is trapped in the shadow realm.
  • Lumia is a shapeshifter and one of the most powerful elves Emily has ever met.
  • Noctura ends up capturing the guardians and Lumia must lead Emily and the elves into the shadow world to battle her.

How interesting would it be if Noctura was actually the "shadow fountain" from the webisodes that gave Ragana her powers? She's trapped in another dimension, and if she's as powerful as this video implies then it absolutely makes sense. It would be cool to see Ragana again, too.

On 1/6/2018 at 6:45 AM, Hythonia said:

How interesting would it be if Noctura was actually the "shadow fountain" from the webisodes that gave Ragana her powers? She's trapped in another dimension, and if she's as powerful as this video implies then it absolutely makes sense. It would be cool to see Ragana again, too.

I thought the shadow world would be connected to the shape-shifting creature that Cronan had summoned from beyond his portal, but completely forgot about Ragana. Yay, continuity!

Lego Elves Immersion managed to get ahold of a bunch of screenshots of this year's Elves webisodes!

There's a lot confirmed in these screenshots, so spoiler warning:

• The Elves don't start with their new outfits—they find them along with their weapons
  • The shadow creature from last year seems to be confirmed to be one of Noctura's underlings
  • Ragana, Jynx and Dusti are back! Ragana seems to be reading from a book about Noctura and Lumia.
  • Sophie also shows up, in a scene in what looks like Emily's attic.
  • Emily's amulet is still broken after the events of last year's final webisode.

EDIT: They've now uploaded many (though not all) of the webisodes themselves! Those come with a whole other batch of much more concrete story spoilers, so hang on tight!

• Rowan the Fire Lion is the first of the Elemental Creatures to be kidnapped by Noctura, negating all of Elvendale's fire magic.
  • Lego Elves Immersion is missing the webisode where this occurs, but according to the summaries on the Lego.com videos page, Emily's amulet being broken makes it harder for her to travel back to Elvendale.
  • Noctura is, in fact, the spirit of the Shadow Fountain. Continuity!
  • Lumia and Noctura were originally friends, and Lumia did not just trap Noctura in the Shadow World, but actually created it. The context of the webisode in which this is explained (Noctura discussing it with Ragana) makes it unclear how much it was intended as a gift and how much it was meant purely as a prison.
  • While Liska and Cyclo take to Farran and Aira with minimal resistance once they prove themselves, the same can't be said for Cory and Naida. Cory interprets Naida's friendship with Emily as subservience and thinks that Naida should assert leadership of the group.
  • The elemental weapons have names: the Quake Shield, Cyclone Bow, Monsoon Staff, and Volcano Hammer.
  • Noctura's carriage was a gift from the bats, who seem to be fairly technically savvy. The large bat in one of the summer sets is Noctura transformed, which she apparently must do to travel between the worlds.

Edited by Lyichir