Iria

Elves: Episodes and Media Thread

I think it looks nice. The backgrounds are just as detailed as we're used to, and the character designs retain the colorful lineart and highly expressive look from the 2016 episodes, only now with more recognizably LEGO proportions. From these snippets I don't really have a definite preference between the two styles, and will have to see a full episode to really decide how much has been lost or gained. But it's definitely much better than my worst fears when they announced the switch to Netflix.

2 hours ago, Euphorine said:

Why Netflix it's so bad ?

I don't have any problem with Netflix. In fact I've been really enjoying their original programming like "Voltron: Legendary Defender", "Trollhunters", and "A Series of Unfortunate Events". Netflix is also cheaper than most cable TV subscriptions here in the US, and more convenient for me when I'm away at college. But since this is effectively being treated as a new series, I was a bit concerned they might change the look radically, like maybe switching to a 3D animation style like the Friends TV series. Fortunately they seemingly haven't changed that aspect of it except for certain scenes like the airship scene which combine 3D and traditional animation.

As for why they switched to Netflix, they moved the LEGO Friends series from Disney Channel to Netflix last year, so I guess that has been a successful venture. Considering how little promotion and what inconvenient scheduling Disney Channel has given the LEGO Elves specials, I'm hopeful that Netflix will be a much better home for next year's episodes and that it will get many more viewers!

The programming on French television was catastrophic too.
I hope that Netflix will be much better too. Because it's not free.
In France the TV show was free and was not on Disney channel.

The Elves site now has character pages for Sophie Jones and The Goblin King, with stills from the new animations. I'm really loving how expressive the character designs are even in animated mini-doll form, and of course the colorful and detailed scenery. The Goblin King's character description is also intriguing.

One of the Goblin King's pictures also has Ragana in it! Glad to learn that she'll be showing up again!

Also, I wonder if we'll get the Goblin King's Shadow Amulet as a recolor of the new amulet piece in one of the summer sets.

I am fan of new animation as I wanted it from the start! :D

I can't wait to see how they will write Ragana into this or how comics wil end up!

Edited by Lordofdragonss

New webisodes released today!  "The Capture" seems to be a little buggy (skipping a fair amount) and seems to mostly be comprised of clips from the upcoming series, but still has some great details, INCLUDING THE FIRST APPEARANCE OF ALL FIVE SISTERS FROM THE LEGEND! The Lego Life app also has a cute introductory webisode called "Did you miss us?"(which for the time being seems to be exclusive to the app) that features Emily, Sophie, and the other Elves introducing themselves and summarizing the beginning of this year's story.  

Edited by Lyichir

Okay, so... wait a minute... Rosalyn's biography on the website says her mother's one of the Five Sisters, but that she's an Earth Elf.... yet she looks so much like the Water Elf Sister... what the heck is going on? I thought she was a water elf the minute I saw a picture of her.

1 hour ago, Hythonia said:

Okay, so... wait a minute... Rosalyn's biography on the website says her mother's one of the Five Sisters, but that she's an Earth Elf.... yet she looks so much like the Water Elf Sister... what the heck is going on? I thought she was a water elf the minute I saw a picture of her.

In my opinion it is a huge mistake.

1 hour ago, Hythonia said:

Probably an error. The only part that describes her as an Earth elf is the powers section (which just says "Earth magic", a much less detailed description than most of the other characters got). I expect that these descriptions started with some sort of common template and that the powers section for Rosalyn just didn't get updated from that.

In other news, there's a TV commercial for the new Elves sets that utilizes the new animation style. Not much, but it might help whet your whistle as we wait for a release date for the Netflix series...

I don't think it's a mistake. The elf queen sisters were all of different elements, so why couldn't their children be different. While Rosalyn looks like a water elf based on her clothing and hair colours, she nurses trees and was the forest queen which is associated with the earth. I think they might be trying to move away from colour=element association.

Edited by Iria

39 minutes ago, Iria said:

I don't think it's a mistake. The elf queen sisters were all of different elements, so why couldn't their children be different. While Rosalyn looks like a water elf based on her clothing and hair colours, she nurses trees and was the forest queen which is associated with the earth. I think they might be trying to move away from colour=element association.

But the Five Sisters have already been shown in the animation. Rosalyn looks nearly identical to the Water Sister (dark skin, light blue hair). I find it really strange that she'd be the daughter of the earth elf seen in this picture.

FiveSisters.jpg

1 hour ago, Iria said:

I mean, that's certainly possible (especially considering the abundance of Earth Blue trees and plants in this year's sets). But it would be at odds with the traditional character design in the series so far, which has pretty clearly telegraphed things like elemental alignment via characters' appearances and costumes. Beyond her color scheme alone, Rosalyn's facial decorations and outfit design both seem to imply that she is a water elf (and her dragon Sapphire's facial decorations seem to imply that she is likewise a water dragon). One of the screenshots of Rosalyn also looks like she might be manipulating her potions elementally (which would imply control of water), but I suppose it could just as easily just be spreading it with a flinging motion. As it is I'll probably remain skeptical of the bio until such time as we actually get concrete evidence of her using one type of elemental magic or another. Lego.com has made plenty of similar mistakes in the past.

Edited by Lyichir

In different passages of the video we clearly see Rosalyn throwing potions. But we don't yet see if she used a real elementary power.
It's clear she look like as water elf.
Sira had an elf costume from the earth and yet she loves fly by plane.

More I see the 5 sisters form the legend. More I wonder if it's not rather sisters of a sorority. And not real sister in life.

Edited by Euphorine

Thanks for letting us know, Lyichir! :)

I was just going to complain about how silly and lighthearted the webisodes have gotten (The Apprentice was funny but bizarre, and I find Sophie Jones almost unbearable), until I saw "How I Lost My Mother." JEEZ, wasn't expecting that kinda darkness from Elves.

I'm sad for Cronan finally he just wants to save his mother.
On the other side, I hope we will have an explanation why the amulet absorbed his mother

It looked like Cronan's mother let her jealousy over not being chosen to be the guardian of the portal to Earth overwhelm her, and made herself think that she needed more power to prove to her sisters that she should be in charge of it, instead of her sister [the one that was Emily Jones' grandmother].

Although, one thing that would be nice to see explained as well was where the medallion/amulet that Cronan's mother had came from and where it leads to. 

Just wondering, for those of us who have missed the broadcasts and who don't have cable TV, what is the best platform to watch all the episodes? Is there a site with streams to both the full episodes and the webisodes? I am surprised that LEGO.TV only has the latter (and the app is a pain in the neck to begin with). Nothing is on Exodus. Terrarium seems to have the main features.

Any other suggestions?

Is there a consolidated YouTube playlist?

Edited by Bentonton

At least in the US, all the episodes are available for viewing on the Elves website. Just go to videos, click through to the year you want and scroll down to "minimovies."