Sign in to follow this  
mediumsnowman

Special Lego VIP Shopping Event 2015

Hi, I've heard rumors that there would be no VIP shopping event this year, but I just received this in the mail:

22314779833_274553db6d_c.jpg

22517568027_22efc70aa2_c.jpg

It is interesting I'm invited as I've never visited the Southcenter store, but I am a frequent visitor to the Bellevue one. Has anyone else received an invitation? What happened to the rumor it wasn't happening this year? :look:

Edited by mediumsnowman

I got one from a store I barely go to as well. Unfortunately I was rather underwhelmed last year so probably won't be going. Finances also have something to do with it as well.

If you're talking about Washington, I've only ever been to the Southcenter location once (grand opening). Usually I shop at Bellevue or Lynwood. It'll be interesting to see if I get one; though I've spent much less on Lego this year as previous years.

Was this in email or postal mail?

Also, is this one of the "Big Spender's" events, or just VIPs?

I've never been invited before, 'cause I'm not one of the "Big Spender's".

Edited by Andy D

I got one last year, but nothing yet this year. I too have spent a lot less this year than last. So I figure I won't be invited. It was decidedly underwhelming for me last year. Going by what people were saying it was like in previous years, but they had cut way back on it last year.. I wouldn't expect this year to be any better than last.

Was this in email or postal mail?

Also, is this one of the "Big Spender's" events, or just VIPs?

I've never been invited before, 'cause I'm not one of the "Big Spender's".

It sounds like the annual "Big Spender's" pre-Brick Friday event. I've attended a number of them in the past (but I don't expect an invite this year as the birth of my daughter has seriously cut into my "LEGO Fun Time (and curbed my usual spending habits)). Years ago this used to be a pretty big thing with triple VIP points, scratch cards for 10-50% off your entire purchase, exclusive early access to upcoming sets, assorted LEGO swag, free PaB boxes and Holiday kits, free coffee and doughnuts, personal assistant, etc. One year they even had a shop attendee carry my stuff out to my car for me and help me load up. I _was_ a big spender (I used to drop $1K-3K at the event each year) as were the two dozen or so other invitees. The store manager knew it so she went all out to make the event an even bigger deal than Lego Corporate guidelines dictated.

Last year's event was pretty lame by comparison and sounds similar to this one (double VIP points, promotional set with purchase and 10% off a handful Lego Exclusives). One the whole not all that different from what you could get if you just did Shop-At-Home on Cyber-Monday. The store manager actually apologized to a number of us about scaling things back so much but said that the home office was the one dictating the terms, not her.

Given TLG overall financial success of late I don't expect them to bending over backwards to keep the big spenders happy when mass appeal and a pending Lego shortage should more than make up for any dent in our spending habits. Still, even if the sale itself isn't all that great, it _IS_ an exclusive invite for a small number of really dedicated AFOLs. If you don't already belong to a LUG this might be a good opportunity to meet a few like-minded people in your area and exchange contact info.

Something about that invite troubles me. Does anyone know how to actually RSVP for the event? Looking at the invite that, it request you to RSVP, but I don't see where it actually tells you how to do that. :wacko:

Something about that invite troubles me. Does anyone know how to actually RSVP for the event? Looking at the invite that, it request you to RSVP, but I don't see where it actually tells you how to do that. :wacko:

As in years past, you call the phone number on the front and tell them that you're RSVPing for the event, then they check your name off the list. Not too complicated. :wink:

As in years past, you call the phone number on the front and tell them that you're RSVPing for the event, then they check your name off the list. Not too complicated. :wink:

Ah. Thanks for clarifying for me! I feel a bit silly for not thinking about that, but also a bit justified in my confusion. They could have put "Please call this phone number to RSVP" or such.

I am on good terms with my local store's manager, and he gave me an invite for the event (from a discretionary pool of invites, I believe). See you guys there.

I don't think it has to do with how much you spent. Last year I spent a fair amount of money at my main store and got an invite to that store. This year I got an invite to a store I barely go to and haven't spent a dime in this year. I haven't spent much on Lego this year at all actually

If this is for "Big Spenders", I most likely will not be getting an invite. Of course, if it a "Big Spender's" only my wife will be very glad if I never get an invite!

Andy D

I don't think it has to do with how much you spent. Last year I spent a fair amount of money at my main store and got an invite to that store. This year I got an invite to a store I barely go to and haven't spent a dime in this year. I haven't spent much on Lego this year at all actually

It's not necessarily the store you shop at, but by whatever calculations they come up with it's the store they think you should be shopping at.... or they may be balancing out the buyers in your area - not the top 25 at a particular store, but the top 50 in your general area, split between the stores.

Also, from what I understand, the managers got leeway in the past on who to invite, so it might be more-or-less the top 25, but some "regulars" might get chosen instead of hit-and-run shoppers that just dropped a lot of money at one time.

I got invited to the first two, but not since - and I'm glad. I've cut way back on LEGO, and I don't think you get much more than Black Friday.

I got one of these cards recently, despite not spending a whole lot in-store or via S@H. I've been more engaged than usual with customer service queries and filling surveys, but ultimately the recipients might just be decided at random.

For those in UK:

Free LEGO Wall Calendar (with purchases of £15 or more)

Free Gingerbread House (with purchases of £60 or more)

Discount on all purchases (of £100 or more)

Plus, selected sets on sale

No idea what sort of discount is applied to purchases - the terms and conditions link doesn't work.

I'd really like to pop in and get a Crawler Crane, but money is notoriously tight at this time of year, so I might have to give it a miss.

Anyone know whether this will also be happening in the German stores this year? So far I have only seen UK and US invitations.

I assume I did not make the cut as I did not receive an invitation yet, but maybe there is no such event this year in Germany.

It's not necessarily the store you shop at, but by whatever calculations they come up with it's the store they think you should be shopping at.... or they may be balancing out the buyers in your area - not the top 25 at a particular store, but the top 50 in your general area, split between the stores.

Also, from what I understand, the managers got leeway in the past on who to invite, so it might be more-or-less the top 25, but some "regulars" might get chosen instead of hit-and-run shoppers that just dropped a lot of money at one time.

I got invited to the first two, but not since - and I'm glad. I've cut way back on LEGO, and I don't think you get much more than Black Friday.

That makes sense if it's a managers invite as I am pretty friendly with the manager of the store I got invited to

I actually got an invite this year--first time ever and I probably spent less money this year than the past two. Sadly, I will likely have to work that morning and will not be able to check it out. I might RSVP in case I do not pick up a shift. It does not seem any different than the inevitable offer all VIPS are going to get with S&H that day. The only real advantage would then be getting into the store before the masses arrive and as stated, get a chance to meet a few like minded people.

I've spent over $1000 also and received nothing

It's possible to spend too much and interact too little, particularly if you buy multiple copies of exclusive sets. There was one year I almost didn't get invited because, according to the store manager, the list from LEGO Corporate had flagged me as a speculator rather than an AFOL, but she overrode it because she knew me. They specifically DON'T want to invite people who they think are going to buy up lots of high end sets at a discount just to stick them in a closet for ten years and sell them on eBay for a small fortune once they've been long discontinued. They feel set scalping hurts their reputation and contributes to the general perception that LEGO is too expensive and what _this_ event to be about rewarding lifelong fans of the product not profiteers.

I'm not saying you (or anyone else here) is a "profiteer" I'm just relating the story _I_ was given once as to why I almost didn't get invited after spending over $3000 in a single year. If you're a big spender and want to increase the likelihood that you will get invited, make sure the staff at the store know you, and if they email you a customer satisfaction survey take the time to fill it out. They really do read those comments and want to get to know their "high rollers".

The speculator thing is probably why I did not get invited. I always buy multiple copies of the modulars and Winter Village (for myself) and in October,during double points I usually spend quite a bit on the $20 range Creator sets (like 20 to 25 sets) for donations to Christmas Toy Drive at church. I spend between $1500 to $2500 per year, but because of my spending patterns, it may look like I am a speculator. If I got flagged as a speculator that is probably why I have never been invited.

I know recognize folks here that buy sets for resale, but have been invited in the past. So maybe it has something to do with who you know as well.

Andy D

Edited by Andy D

I've spent over $1000 also and received nothing

The years I was invited I spent at least (at least) three times that at the LEGO Store and online (and, of course, they know because of my VIP account). I think the first year it was more like $6k. I had an addiction. :classic:

It was a heinous amount for me to spending on LEGO, and now I probably spend about $500/year or less on LEGO at the LEGO Store or S@H.

I've been invited for the past few years but nothing this year and I kind of expected it as I've seriously cut down on spend although it's still been around £800 or so straight from Lego.

I must admit I've never found them that beneficial with regards to discounts, except for the free festive sets.

No invite for me this year. Not spending enough I guess :) Also possible I've gotten flagged as a speculator, since I buy mostly the big stuff in the store. Small sets I'll get at walmart/target/amazon when on sale, so my lego direct purchasing is mostly modulars, exclusives, holiday, etc. And I do indeed do some of that - some of my purchases are for me and my kids (you don't even wanna see my basement!) but I also have about $10k worth in my garage in sealed boxes, waiting for them to be discontinued.

The past years (I've gone every year except 1) my in-store spending was many thousands of $$$, plus a few thousand more online. Enough spending that I'd get the annual modular building PLUS more 100% free with my VIP points. Right now my VIP balance is $65 and that feels SO low!

But yeah, that does seem a bit underwhelming this year, especially since that's basically the same deal that everyone gets the rest of the day (calendar, gingerbread house, etc). you just get the very nice bonus of avoiding crowds!

In past years when I've gone, many of us just picked a place on the floor to start stacking stuff and bought whole piles of sets. It was fun :) Our store had a nice mix of afols, parents with kids, etc.

I'll probably go when the store opens - still avoid the crowd, and my wife really wants that gingerbread house :)

Yeah... I'll just head down at 9.30am when it opens and see what kind of discounts there are.