Sign in to follow this  
nerdsforprez

nerdsforprez thread

Thanks all for your help in the past. I am starting a whole new thread for my questions. Being that I am new (long time builder, but new to LDD) I will likely have many questions as I work on a fairly ambitious project. This way I don't have to begin new threads each time I have a new question. As many of you, I first try and always find a solution on my own before i bring it to the forum. You can be sure that if I am bringing to the forum I have done at least some research. Perhaps not exhaustive research, but at least a good faith try.

I have looked online for updates, and apparently LDD is supposed to automatically get updates of bricks. I am running version 4.3, so not sure if that is the latest version or not. Anyways, I am looking for the technic panels listed below with no success. How do I get these panels added to my LDD?

64782.jpg?2

Latest LDD is 4.3.8. Latest brick update is 1564.2.

You can see the versions in Help | About (F3), top right.

The last brick update dates from october 2014 (I think).

Yes, they are automatic but we’re fevrishly waiting for a new one: http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=108005

As for the technic panels, they don’t seem to be available (yet… or ever).

Welcome to LDD.

As for finding bricks in LDD, it might be a good investment to just take the time to browse the brick library in LDD and figure out how bricks are categorized. It's a bit different from how BrickLink organizes bricks. Another tip is to use one of these online databases to find the brick ID, and then use that to search for the brick in LDD:

http://brickset.com/parts

http://www.bricklink....asp?itemType=P

Using the later for example, I found that the ID for the Technic panel is 64782 and entering that in the LDD search gave me the brick.

Also note that LDD hasn't been updated for about 9-10 months, so any bricks newer then that will not be in the brick database. We're all waiting for a new brick update, but at the moment there are no news as to when one will arrive.

Finally, even though I appreciate the idea with a separate topic for your questions, I'd prefer if you post "find-that-brick" type of questions in this dedicated topic we have for it. Thanks.

And good luck with your project :classic:

Good advice..... but one quick question....this post may have applied to a certain thread but I would like to keep it b/c I anticipate many more questions. Questions other than the "find-that-brick" ilk. So..... if I have other "find that brick" questions (which I am sure I will, I will post them to the recommended post. Other than that... I will keep this one so I don't have to keep making new ones. Thank you for the response.

As for the technic panels, they don’t seem to be available (yet… or ever).

Welcome to LDD.

Hmmm, I'm at work so I can't confirm it for a few hours but I'm fairly sure those particular panels are in LDD. I initially built Akiyuki's Cup-to-Cup GBC using LDD and I'm reasonably sure I found those panels. I'll take a look when I get home and, if you haven't found them in the meantime, I'll post a subsequent reply in this thread.

Regards,

David

Hmmm, I'm at work so I can't confirm it for a few hours but I'm fairly sure those particular panels are in LDD. I initially built Akiyuki's Cup-to-Cup GBC using LDD and I'm reasonably sure I found those panels. I'll take a look when I get home and, if you haven't found them in the meantime, I'll post a subsequent reply in this thread.

Regards,

David

That panel is in LDD. In the part "search" box, type 64782. This will hide all part classifications except one. Expand the one that is left and you will see said panels. And yes, it isn't in the most obviously part classification.

Regards,

David

That panel is in LDD. In the part "search" box, type 64782. This will hide all part classifications except one. Expand the one that is left and you will see said panels. And yes, it isn't in the most obviously part classification.

Yes, I missed them, I already flogged myself after Superkalle corrected my mistake:

Using the later for example, I found that the ID for the Technic panel is 64782 and entering that in the LDD search gave me the brick.

I suppose I should have made my autocritique public.

Thanks guys.... I thought it was available. I could have posted this in the Technic forum, where i am more of a regular, because I knnow I have seen it in some of the LDD instructions that guys and gals have posted there, but I see that this is the forum to post all things LDD so I posted it here.... you guys came through....

Wow...... I have a lot to learn :blush: Categorizations are so much different. The panel I am alluding to is not under panels but under pins???? Weird. Noticing lots of other, IMO incorrectly categorized items, in the pin group.

Yes, I missed them, I already flogged myself after Superkalle corrected my mistake:

Ooops, self-flagellation for me too. I failed to read Superkalle's response carefully enough to realize he had already provided an answer, rendering my two responses as adding no value.

David

Okay.... back again. Made quite a bit of process on a project of mine.... but quick question. Whenever I try to use the hinge align tool (which I am just learning, really don't know what it is fully capable of) the program always shuts down. What could be going on? Has anyone else experienced this? Is there a way to fix it or should I try to redownload the whole program?

LDD is just plain crashing.

I figure it’s something like an uncatched “divide by zero” while it tries to solve the angles.

It also happens with the simpler rotation tool.

Simply retrying just after restarting LDD and reloading the file works. (I think that’s because saving/loading truncates the values so they are slightly different and that changes the equations and avoids the error.)

So, always save your work before trying a complex operation.

Thanks. Tried to do the operation right after saving everything and still crashed. When you say, "reload the file works" -- can you explain that with more details? Not sure really what you mean.

I mean: save the file, then reload it (or restart LDD altogether).

If you only save the file and continue editing, the values still in memory are the one that cause the crash.

Also, I should have said “works… sometimes.” :tongue:

One other question for the forum...... I thought I remember looking at this a while ago... but i cannot find the answer. I was under the impression that once a model is complete, and I want to create building instructions, I would also be able to see all pieces involved by lot count. However, I just went to building mode in what I have completed thus far and do not see anything that resembles that.... any help?

I mean: save the file, then reload it (or restart LDD altogether).

If you only save the file and continue editing, the values still in memory are the one that cause the crash.

Also, I should have said “works… sometimes.” :tongue:

Okay... yea, I knew that much. Did that - no luck :sceptic: Would it help to re-download the whole program then? Or what should be my next step? I am assuming that others have reached this dilemma, given that I would think the hinge align tool would be quite common. Btw... thanks for your help. I am learning alot.

I’ve never heard about a BoM inside LDD.

I don’t use the Instruction mode often, except to have a little fun: it’s way off even for simple builds.

As for the hinge tool, I’d rather compute the right angles myself and use the rotation tool. The hinge tool tends to move every parts (try closing a simple triangle, all segments are moved even a baseplate). Sometimes, it even rotates hinges that have no relation to the ones you try to connect.

Edited by SylvainLS

File > Export Bom

awesome. Thanks! Any advice about the constant crashing? Would uninstalling and re-installing LDD help at all? I would rather not, but if needed, I guess I will have to.

Also, I guess I should also ask to see if even the hinge align tool was designed to do what I want or think it should do. I am building a large crane (~5,000 pieces) and LDD is beginning to tell me that I can't make certain connections..... telling me they are illegal when I know they are not. These have nothing to do with angles.... I am just aligning one side of the crane with another. Again, I have done the build with mismatched pieces.... so I know it is a legal connection. I am thinking that the hinge align tool will help me with this.... no?