Covenant84

Wisbeach tramline (toby and mavis)

Hi all.

I'm currently working on a new lego room and loft space and wondering what long term project to start I've had thoughts of the wisbeach and Upwell tramway rekindled. I've always planned a loft railway and this seems like a great prototype for a lego model. Reasonable flat... plenty of character and features on a 'small' scale.

I've seen numerous lego versions of 'Toby' the tram and mavis but I'd want them powered. Last time I did lego trains was the 9 system. Could you tell/show me how the newer power functions is set up in the smallest possible space please? I'd love to see your small engines and diesel and find out how you squeeze everything in. Am i right in thinking there's 4 parts... the ir reciever and controller, motor and battery box? I will of course show my progress shortly!

For those not familiar with the tramway I found this great little website:

http://www.lner.info/co/GER/wisbech/wisbech.php

Can't help you with your build but being local I know of the line you're trying to recreate and story behind it.

Keep us posted on progress. I wish you luck.

Edited by grum64

The kind of line you want to build surely is interesting. I don't know how much I can help you with that, but I've designed a Toby some time ago which incorporates all the parts for powering him with the newer system.

Here is a picture if you're interested http://scotnick.deviantart.com/art/Toby-the-steam-tram-origninally-LNER-J70-485802196

Drop me a message if you're interested in the instructions.

Grum64 thank you. I have a couple of books coming and may try to visit in the spring with my dad as he remembers it from his youth, but when I've decided where to start the model extra info would be useful!

Scotnick yes please! I actually pinned your toby on pinterest earlier.... its one of the better versions I've seen so far. Instructions and how to motorised it would be a really helpful start!

You can't go past ScotNick's Toby. 7 wide awesomeness. I have been tinkering with fitting power functions into small spaces and my blue saddle tank engine may pass for a Percy in green if that helps

21098108183_5eb0a4f655.jpgLEGO dark blue saddle tank steam locomotive with open ended passenger carriages modded from 60051 high speed train by Canvas Rails, on Flickr

There are some exploded views on Flickr that may help you get started too.

Best of luck and can't wait to see the photos,

Rob

I build a version of a wisbeach class 4 a few months ago

21173737308_f2e5b09e36_c.jpg

If you wan't I can send you the file for it.

I didn't care about powering it because of the small structure and the detail I wanted it to have. The best option for a mavis would be using a powered wagon behind it for the batterybox. The motor could be easily put under the body itself and the reciever would most likely to get a place in the cab. Simply because this allows me to give the body as much detail as i want.

Edited by THERIZE

Thanks both! Therize- link doesn't seem to work?

Rob- that's a great engine! Perhaps a daft question... where's the motor? Is that the black wheelbase?

Rob- is this what you used? http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=272036329078&alt=web if so do you just build up a footplate around it to raise the level above the swivel pin?

Edited by Covenant84

Thanks therize. Wonderful version. I'm wondering if I could use a 9v bogie motor and hid it well enough you can't tell it's 4 wheeled instead of 6.

Thanks therize. Wonderful version. I'm wondering if I could use a 9v bogie motor and hid it well enough you can't tell it's 4 wheeled instead of 6.

Four-wheeled Toby model is canon.

Thanks jtlan. I already knew of the two tram types but that's a really useful link about colouring. Where it says be does anyone know what type of blue? Navy, grey blue,?

Yep, 9V is possible!

22548440347_66e9e03427_c.jpgCLASS4 9V by RIZING!, on Flickr

The rails do hide the fact that it has 4 wheels instead of six a little bit but I assume that it is harder to notice when its driving on a layout,

Yep, 9V is possible!

++SNIP++

The rails do hide the fact that it has 4 wheels instead of six a little bit but I assume that it is harder to notice when its driving on a layout,

Hey, could you send me a copy of the Type 4 or link to a place where I can get it? It might looks good on my american layout with some MODs...

Thanks in advance!

Nah I don't think so, the wheelbase is way to close to the center but I think bigger radius curvers would do the trick. For my original concept this would not be a problem because the loco isn't powered and it would most likely be a scenery model.

Looking at a couple of books I'm currently debating which out of wisbeach or outwell to try something with. Your opinions please (assuming a little artistic license to get the right feel rather than an accurate model):

Wisbeach would perhaps fit neater into a rectangular area (table) as its a station with trams sheds and siding whereas outwell has more visually interesting features (canal and bridges plus a church) but would need to take in more of the surrounding area and therefore would be an akward shape. Which would you build?

Grum64.... hard to tell from maps/photos but do you have any idea of the comparative sizes for these options and do you have/can you get any photos of any surcingles features. From a Google satellite it looks like there maybe a few original houses in outwell opposite the church. Do you know if the pub's still there? Apart from rough road layout it looks like wisbeach has totally gone whereas outwell has the church and a 2/3 of the canal left. Is that correct?

Rob- that's a great engine! Perhaps a daft question... where's the motor? Is that the black wheelbase?

Rob- is this what you used? http://pages.ebay.co...6329078&alt=web if so do you just build up a footplate around it to raise the level above the swivel pin?

Thanks, yes, you are correct. It is a standard train motor with the 1980s vintage black train base with the large motor cut out section for the basic frame. I use a 2 x 8 technic plate running lengthways on the centreline between the battery box and motor which provides enough height to clear the pin on the motor with space under the battery box on each side for the light cables. The IR reciever is in the bunker so the whole thing can be self contained.

21530972068_9e6671c38d.jpgLEGO 4-0 Dark blue saddle tank steam locomotive exploded views. by Canvas Rails, on Flickr

So long as the swivel pin is not under the edge of the battery box, one plate is sufficient.

Cheers,

Rob

It's been a while but I've finally got around to making something. Loosly based on Scotnicks here's my version of Toby. It's not quite how i'd like it but with limited parts I'm really happy with the outcome. As mt 2 year old asked where his face was i built a face which can be swapped for a lamp held on by 1 stud for now. The coupings a little high but it seems like it might just be low enough to get away with for now until i get around to a more in depth re-design. Its powered by a 9v motor. I also managed to put together a coal truck from some spares I had around, again loosly based on Scotnicks. I'd like to make several of these along with some fruit vans eventually. C&C welcome.

20160212_171417.jpg

20160212_171434.jpg

20160212_171448.jpg

20160212_171540.jpg

20160212_171623.jpg

Great work, although it seems your tram needs an overhaul - the rotten plans really need to be replaced!

No, jokes aside I really like that you used light and dark brown, gives the engine a nice effect.

Your approach on the tram is really interesting, now I'm eager to see more!

Cheers, Nick

Thanks Nick - glad you like it! hadn't got the parts to follow your plans so this is what i managed to do with the parts I had. The first attempt used 4x8 plates for the sides but once i'd put the roof on the proportions were really out! (it still seems a bit tall compared to the real thing but without starting from scratch with new motors i doubt i'll do any better for now!). Ideally i'd prefer steps more like yours but there just doesn't seem to be the space with a 9v motor under there (and again i don't have the parts for now). I tried to make it a 6 wheeler to start with but it was proving to be impossible to do that with a 9v without making it longer. There's quite a bit of space in the cab so i may attempt some sort of interior in the future. I'm keen to build more now, i think a second tram, a 'mavis', a couple of tank engines (although i don't think they ran on the line, at least only very rarely) and of course a set of trcuks, fruit vans and some other things to add further interest. For now it'll have to wait for funds. Most of the parts seem to be quite a reasonable price on bricklink (or pick a brick walls when available they're really cheap) but tracking down the train wheels/couplings and motors seems to be the pricey part.