Sign in to follow this  
Mister Phes

The Pirate Theme ended...

So this set would include 2 ships? Or were you thinking more the lines of a MOC scene?

BTW mister_phes, I just found a little website quite nice about pirates: http://www.piratesinfo.com/

It has some nice background history and a short bibliography of famous pirates - Enjoy (its not much but I think its a good start to piracy)

Oh yes, I haven't been here for a while. Looks like they've updated it since. Thanks for reminding me!

You're obsessed with Spanish Vs Pirate Battles aren't ya Bloody Jay?

So what happens if the Pirates themeselves are Spanish?

You're obsessed with Spanish Vs Pirate Battles aren't ya Bloody Jay?

So what happens if the Pirates themeselves are Spanish?

Well can't they still pirate the Spanish?

Actually I was being a smart megablocks. Edit that for me will ya.

Of course the Spanish can pirate their own nations ships and towns They can pirate whoever they like! That's what makes them pirates!

So this set would include 2 ships? Or were you thinking more the lines of a MOC scene?

Oh yes, I haven't been here for a while. Looks like they've updated it since. Thanks for reminding me!

Both would be great but I was thinking of a naval battle taking place in the mediteranean for a change, so we can have Corsair ;)

This site is quite nice, but if you have better ones, I'll read them ;)

I'm strictly Pirates of the Caribbean only however... Pirating in other regions doesn't really appeal to me.

Ahhhhhhhhhh me lad, the Caribbean has a certain atomosphere that the other parts of the world do not.

I think they could go to the Far East or Mid-East for a new Pirate Theme. Make a kind of SINBAD based story/theme. Chinese Jung-Gorls & Sampans, Arabian Xebecs, and etc.

While myself would prefer to remain with the corny cliche ridden stereotypical Caribbean Pirate theme...

They wouldn't be Pirates of the Caribbean if they went to other parts of the world! LEGO has really explored all the possibilities of the Caribbean yet so there's no need to take Pirates elsewhere till they've done that.

Here's an interesting new twist to Pirates I've posted in the LEGO Trains and Town forum:

The Silver Train

Entirely new concept...

No! No! No!

It would be terribly inconsistent and more confusing to the kiddies than have a good guys and bad guys. Pirates of the Barbary Coast? Who are they the kiddies would say! Pirates of the Caribbean! We know exactly who they are the kiddies would say.

I agree with you. The soldiers, whatever they were called, have always suffered from lack of big ships in the Lego world. It was because the theme was called Pirates and the bad guys were the main characters and were supposed to be greater power. But it was innacurate and I didn't like it. I think it would've been most fun if all sides had both huge and small ships. I also think they should release a big merchant ship, not the size of the Renegade Runner, more like the Barracuda...

Naval Frigates and War Galleons... Every Empire Should have them!

For the blue coats its quite simple to make a naval frigate:

STEP 1

Simply take one Black Seas Barracuda and remove all pirate related pieces and replace with blue coat related people.

STEP 2

Replace red striped sales with blue striped sales and there ya have it! I'd also replace the red hatches with blue ones as well.

Of course the same could be done with the Skulls Eye Schooner except you'd need more sales. Though I don't encourage merely converting an existing Pirate ship. Come up with something completely new and original!

Though I don't encourage merely converting an existing Pirate ship. Come up with something completely new and original!

I've used both solutions. Own creations are fun of course, but original models look good too (especially the BSB) and it's always nice to have them.

About converting ships - I've done exactly what you said with the Black Seas Barracuda (well, made some other minor modifications as well), but I adapted it for the Spaniards (Imperial Armada).

Hee hee hee hee! Know! :-D

Its not a bad thing, I'd probably do the same if I were to make a ship for the soldiers. But its nice to see something completely new and original.

As I wrote, I use both new and original ships and the traditional Lego models - if they look good, why cannibalise them?

Nevermind the MOCs for a moment...

Do you think it would be great if LEGO actually made us a Emperial naval vessels like frigates and war galleons?

Of course it would be great, however we mustn't forget that big ships will always be expensive, and that would be stopping many fans from buying them.

Personally, I can really wait a few years for new pirates (I know I'm imagining things) and instead see how the Vikings line will evolve - I see great potential in it, but I'd prefer it more realistic - less monsters, more Viking villages, different factions ad so on. Then we can return to pirates...

Egad! Let us hear no more of vikings in this thread!

Yes, big ships will always be expensive. The Skulls Eye Schooner is now worth much more second hand than it was brand new. People are still buying them so someone has money for the big ships...

When Black Seas Barracuda was released as a Legend they upped the recommended age to 9+ and that didn't stop them from selling out. You'll be very unlikely to get the Legend BSB MISB for under US$200 now.

I don't know how that 4+ Red Beards Ship is selling so I won't comment on it. But I'm guessing if LEGO came up with a decent large ship it would still sell...

As I wrote in another topic - Lego could take this 4+ Redbeard's ship's hull, paint it brown (or white, I tend to like white hulls), give it a total of 3 or 4 centre sections and make a magnificent warship with a lot of details, 3 masts, a total of about 10 sails, cargo bays and so on. This could be the best ship ever :) and would cost a fortune :(

EDIT: Of course I'm talking about making a System scale ship :)

They have made a brown version of that hull. Haven't you seen that horrible Dung Stain ship from the Harry Potter theme?

I don't like that hull! Ewwww... No way... Its bad. LEGO must come up with a less bulbous design for future Pirate sets.

I thought the hull in Harry Potter's set was grey and black, but I may've seen it incorrectly. I don't think the hull itself looks that bad, but I must admit I have only seen pictures of it, not the real thing (however I'd buy it if I had the chance to get just the hull, not the whole ugly set - I mean Redbeard's ship, well, I can buy the whole set just for some pieces but not at the original price). After all - making a hull like the one of the BSB but a bit wider wouldn't be much of a challenge for Lego designers and it would be great to have something even bigger :)