Sign in to follow this  
Plokman

Lego Ideas is this a rule fitting idea?

Not 100% sure this is the right part of the forum to discuss this but I thought it was the most likely candidate. So Mods if this is in the wrong place please move it for me if you can. Thank you.

I thought I'd start a topic where we brainstorm ideas and see if they would fit in with the Lego Ideas formula. Sometimes the rules are vague and a idea may have a connection to something that the rules are against but at heart they are fully innocent other than maybe game play of the idea source. So if you have a idea but aren't sure it would be a good fit withing the guidelines post it here and see what everyone else thinks.

To start us off one idea I wanted to submit was inspired by all the Tron idea posts. But these have all been Classic or Modern Tron. My idea how about a inbetween? How about Tron 2.0?

Then I realized that it may not fit in the guidelines as Tron 2.0 is a first person game and you use gun like weapons in it. But beyond that it is nothing like the FPS they have in mind for that rule since it is non-violent (No blood, No dismemberment, Most enemies don't die, ECT) and it is part of a universe that is mostly movies and as well is a Disney franchise.

So is it indeed a breach of the Lego Ideas rules or is it something that might be allowed? If the game it's self isn't we could always use the comics based off it but the game is such a untouched gold mine of ideas. So I hope that both the idea concept and the topic is a appropriate one for the forums.

Whats your take everyone?

Tron would be awesome. Lego even made a Tron-cycle in their Ultra agent's set (vs Infearno).

I think that freaking Legend of Zelda has this coming by now, but you probably mean new ideas, so i'll say...

Teen Titans! The legit Teen Titans 2006, not the Jokerland Robin they pulled, or the TTGO! stuff.

Arkham games! Three sets for each of the 3 games!

FPS game with violence most likely won't make it to the voting stage. I think it is spelled out in the published guidelines. Read and understand them first before even working on an idea. It would save disappointment and wasted time and effort. Put together a "marketing" plan for your project. How are you going to campaign to get 10000 votes? Who are your potential voters? How can you reach them? There are thousand of other projects and possibly some would be similar on Ideas. How do you make yourself stand out from the crowd? Ultimately is it a good fit for the LEGO brand?

I like the idea of having a thread where people ask if their idea is a good one to submit or not, and the rest of us can discuss it.

Personally, I'm considering making a submission for an overwhelmingly popular horror game, yet despite none of the games having any visible violence, only implied, I'm worried that it might not be accepted. Popular as heck with kids, though, which is why I think it's a great idea.

I like the idea of having a thread where people ask if their idea is a good one to submit or not, and the rest of us can discuss it.

Personally, I'm considering making a submission for an overwhelmingly popular horror game, yet despite none of the games having any visible violence, only implied, I'm worried that it might not be accepted. Popular as heck with kids, though, which is why I think it's a great idea.

Let me guess, a Five Nights at Freddy's project? If done right, I bet that would be hugely popular with kids. And due to CMFs, we know Lego loves making animal costume minifigs.

FPS game with violence most likely won't make it to the voting stage. I think it is spelled out in the published guidelines. Read and understand them first before even working on an idea. It would save disappointment and wasted time and effort. Put together a "marketing" plan for your project. How are you going to campaign to get 10000 votes? Who are your potential voters? How can you reach them? There are thousand of other projects and possibly some would be similar on Ideas. How do you make yourself stand out from the crowd? Ultimately is it a good fit for the LEGO brand?

Thats kind of my point. The rules on Lego Ideas are Vague in many areas. Like with the FPS rule it doesn't state anything on violence. But I guess another rule could be the decider they say no modern combat which I take to mean anything that has happened in the last two centuries. (WW1, WW2, Vietnam, Korea, The Middle East and so forth.)

But Tron 2.0 has no violence to it and is if you ask me a superfiacl FPS as it has more in common with Minecraft in it's battle mechanics and. Everything is Digital your not killing any of the programs as they are Derezzed and are reborn from backup copies.

-Spoiler Alert-

Only two characters die a true death in the game. I-No dies because he remains with his home system after it crashes completely (A Captain going down with his ship kinda thing as well as him being so old he couldn't adapt to the then modern computer world.) The other was corrupted beyond repair before

the story start.

-Spoilers End-

Plus Tron 2.0 has no blood, Weapons are all energy based and your primary weapon is the iconic disc. I think it is within the bounds of the rules based off some of the past Disney Lego sets (Pirates and the lone ranger) and off most current sets. So I see no harm in at least trying it.

Well I'm glad I started a good topic for once. :laugh: Hmm if it's Fanaf I honest not sure how well that would work. Maybe more possible since WB bought the rights for the movie and Lego works well with them.

Let me guess, a Five Nights at Freddy's project? If done right, I bet that would be hugely popular with kids. And due to CMFs, we know Lego loves making animal costume minifigs.

Yeah a lot of costumes are being made available. Well Lego may keep that going you know there are alot of Cosplay possibilities in real life so why not in Lego life. :laugh:

FNAF could be done like many of the fan created videos where there is no serious stuff going on if you know what I mean more comical like Regular Show.

Edited by lightningtiger

FNAF could be done like many of the fan created videos where there is no serious stuff going on if you know what I mean more comical like Regular Show.

Eugh, get that stuff away from me. All I'd do is create the 3 (4 maybe) animatronics from the first game, that's it. No security office because that'd require new head molds AND it's not all that great an idea.

There are at least like 30 different animatronics I could make, but I wanted to start out simple. I've already been working on what I consider a small Mixel-Constraction figure size build and it's already like 260+ pieces...

If only LDD updated this year..

Edited by CM4Sci

Thats kind of my point. The rules on Lego Ideas are Vague in many areas. Like with the FPS rule it doesn't state anything on violence. But I guess another rule could be the decider they say no modern combat which I take to mean anything that has happened in the last two centuries. (WW1, WW2, Vietnam, Korea, The Middle East and so forth.)

You are correct. The FPS rule doesn't state violence, just FPS games do not fit the LEGO brand values. Submit the idea and see what happens. There are a few other Tron Ideas approved to be voted on.

https://ideas.lego.com/guidelines:

Projects related to the topics below do not fit our brand values and will not be approved for publication on LEGO Ideas. We will decide how a project fits these standards.

• a. Politics and political symbols, campaigns, or movements

• b. Religious references including symbols, buildings, or people

• c. Sex, drugs, or smoking

• d. Alcohol in any present day situation

• e. Swearing

• f. Death, killing, blood, terrorism, or torture

• g. First-person shooter video games

• h. Warfare or war vehicles in any modern or present-day situation, or national war memorials

• i. Racism, bullying, or cruelty to real life animals

Problem with the rules is they are rather vague. What constitutes the cut off date for being a modern war? I personally wouldnt class WW1 as modern, but then im sure there are people that would. What about the Boer War? That was just 12 years before WW1... Im not trying to say i want ww1 sets (ok it would be cool, think of the tanks!) but this is an example of vagueness which i think hinders more than gives a slight over reaching freedom...

On the topic of tron... Oh i would be all over it! I loved the original, and think the second one kept to the roots of the first pretty well.

Ive never heard of FNAF before so know absolutely nothing about it :s

You are correct. The FPS rule doesn't state violence, just FPS games do not fit the LEGO brand values. Submit the idea and see what happens. There are a few other Tron Ideas approved to be voted on.

https://ideas.lego.com/guidelines:

Projects related to the topics below do not fit our brand values and will not be approved for publication on LEGO Ideas. We will decide how a project fits these standards.

• a. Politics and political symbols, campaigns, or movements

• b. Religious references including symbols, buildings, or people

• c. Sex, drugs, or smoking

• d. Alcohol in any present day situation

• e. Swearing

• f. Death, killing, blood, terrorism, or torture

• g. First-person shooter video games

• h. Warfare or war vehicles in any modern or present-day situation, or national war memorials

• i. Racism, bullying, or cruelty to real life animals

Nope.avi I don't see 2.0 breaking any rule here. Like I said the First Person view is really more in common with Minecraft or SWKoTOR. Heck I'd say it's more FPRPG than FPS. Plus their no FPS rule I think clearly is in response to modern war FPS or ones like Halo (we know who got the rights to that. No they are not the same. :laugh: )

Problem with the rules is they are rather vague. What constitutes the cut off date for being a modern war? I personally wouldnt class WW1 as modern, but then im sure there are people that would. What about the Boer War? That was just 12 years before WW1... Im not trying to say i want ww1 sets (ok it would be cool, think of the tanks!) but this is an example of vagueness which i think hinders more than gives a slight over reaching freedom...

On the topic of tron... Oh i would be all over it! I loved the original, and think the second one kept to the roots of the first pretty well.

Ive never heard of FNAF before so know absolutely nothing about it :s

Exactly I mean where is the line? I'm looking at it with a combination of factors. First the war thing, Tron 2.0 isn't promoting war, violence or any of that Jazz. Next the First Person thing Lego has done licenses on first person things before Minecraft is a key example and some of the Star Wars sets are connected to First Person games.

Another note what if you want to have a set that uses a Military vehicle in a nonmilitary job. Like Sarge the Jeep from the cars line or a transport used now for search and rescue? Tanks would be out due to thir primary point of being war machines (Love treads but there is no way around this fact.)

Really thats the whole point of this topic. To pass the vague Tumblers of the lock that is Lego Ideas. I'm not trying to cheat them no no. I am trying to make a key that fits well for them as well as me and you. To give our best ideas to lego with out any harm given or taken.

Oh if you love the Tron Movies definitely play 2.0 It may not be cannon to the main timeline now but it is still a great story on a new modern tangent. (lets face it the computers in the movies that were explored were ment to be 80s hardware.) plus one of the weapons/tools in game is called the LOL. :laugh:

As for FNaF I'm not a fan of the series since all it is is jump scares. The animatronics in it don't creep me out thanks to a healthy knowledge of how to interupt circuts (my dad repairs electronics), Growing up loving robots of all sorts as well as Thomas have made me immune to the so called creepyness of the animatronics. Chip Hazard was far more frightening than Faz bear. Take away the main horror and all you got is robo puppets that jump out and stop your game.

But hey I'm not trying to stifle Ideas here if anyone can make a Freddy Faz Bear set my hat will be off to them. I may even support it. :thumbup: