This MOC and custom minifig set is based on the starship and characters featured in the 1995 LucasArts video game Star Wars Dark Forces and its 1997 sequel, Star Wars Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II. I've recently submitted this project to LEGO Ideas to try and get it officially produced by LEGO: https://ideas.lego.com/projects/121705

22829708075_f01135f428_c.jpg

The unique look of this starship helped make it a fan favorite in the Star Wars gaming community. During my first play-through of the game, I found The Moldy Crow's design enigmatic and fascinating. Figuring out how to build a version of The Moldy Crow using LEGO was as much fun as playing the video games it was featured in.

22373381798_d603fa2f96_c.jpg

This was my first MOC and was built in 2010. Our family’s LEGO building passion started with building classic Star Wars star-fighter LEGO sets. Once we had a decent representation of both Imperial and Rebel fighters, we realized that we needed some "rogue" ships to balance out the collection. At the time the only two LEGO sets available were Han Solo's Millennium Falcon and Boba Fett's Slave 1. The Moldy Crow immediately came to mind as a great ship to add to our collection.

While searching online for references of the ship, two color schemes were often presented. Most of the in-game screen shots leaned towards using Dark Tan as the ship's primary color. However, several custom made illustrations and model kits presented The Moldy Crow using rust colors, similar to LEGO's Dark Orange bricks. I decided to use the Dark Orange color scheme because it looked better amongst our other Star Wars sets, and because (at the time) LEGO pieces available in Dark Orange had the specific shapes I was looking for.

I modified the MOC over the summer (2015) to clean up the build, getting it ready for its submission to LEGO Ideas. I hope you like.

Starship build features:

• full cockpit that seats both Katarn and Ors minifigures
  • retractable landing gear
  • 360º rotating turret
  • high swooshabilty

8954247390_18dcfd3ac5_c.jpg

To see more images of this MOC, please check out the photo album on Flickr:

https://flic.kr/s/aHsjFLz1Sx

Edited by Suboken Brick Project

Awsome job. I remember getting that game for my birthday back in the day. I was so excited and loved that game and that series.

I was just playing Dark Forces II yesterday! This is one of my favorite mocs of the Year. All the details you worked into the model are absolutely stunning. I like the turret and the engine details. The tapering to the front cockpit with the windows is dead on too, not to mention the details you got in the cockpit! Functioning retracts! :wub:

The highlight of this MOC is the minifigs. They are excellent, and very true to the source material. The ship somehow looks a bit off to me, I always thought the back wings/engines were larger than what you did here. regardless, an excellent MOC.

Really cool! :thumbup:

That's not an easy color to work with. Looks super clean and I love the window!

Very nice build. Well done.

Awsome job. I remember getting that game for my birthday back in the day. I was so excited and loved that game and that series.

Looks awesome! :thumbup:

Thank you very much!

Thank you! The front landing gear was the last feature I built into the MOC and I wish I hadn't put it off. I ended up having to rebuild the cockpit interior, but it worked out in the end.

The highlight of this MOC is the minifigs. They are excellent, and very true to the source material. The ship somehow looks a bit off to me, I always thought the back wings/engines were larger than what you did here. regardless, an excellent MOC.

I'm excited you like the minifigs. If the MOC gets selected to become an official LEGO Ideas set, it will be awesome to have both Katarn and Ors to add to the cast of SW minifigs. The shape issue may be a combination of both the cockpit inflating the front end to accommodate the two pilot seats, and the specific LEGO pieces I used for the engine pods determining their sizes. A nice feature of the original in-game design of the Crow was how the engine pods are seated in a subtle outward and downward slope away from the hull. Every technique I tried to replicate that look ended up being too flimsy. I have second version partially build using Dark Tan is the main color. Maybe I'll crack the engine pod puzzle while building the next version. Thank you for the great feedback.

I wonder that is there any instructions for this masterpiece? I would like to see how it built.

I posted a PDF instruction book for the MOC on my website. However, I took it down last week so that it wouldn't effect The Moldy Crow's eligibility on the LEGO Ideas website. I would like to post the instructions again as long as they don't conflict with my MOC's official submission. I'll update here when I find out either way.

Looks Good!

I saw your ship a while back when I was looking for pics of the Moldy Crow.

Had to make one for my collection.

Any plans on making a Raven's Claw?

Jamie

Edited by jamie75

Loved when I first saw it many moons ago, love it now. I do wish you would've reworked the front though. The current one is a bit too blocky I think, it doesn't quite capture that "bird of prey" look the real model has.

I fondly remember the countless hours my friends and I spent playing Dark Forces and how cool we found the Crow. Nicely done here, and it could be my faulty memory but the color scheme didn't seem off from what I recalled, but it has been ~20 years.

Maybe you should ad a link to your Lego Idea submission, so everyone could give you the support you need.

I did a lot of research about the Moldy Crow on the internet as I wanted to build my own, and it seems the first version of your MOC was the most accomplished. I'm glad you did some modifications, and that you have a custom Kyle Katarn and Jan Ors. I would be glad if your creation could be available one of these days...

Looks Good!

I saw your ship a while back when I was looking for pics of the Moldy Crow.

Had to make one for my collection.

Any plans on making a Raven's Claw?

Jamie

The Raven Claw is a project I plan to tackle in the future. Right now I have an ambitious LEGO based comic series I'm putting together. And by ambitious I mean way more work intensive than I had originally thought it would be.

"High swooshability"- I'll bet! This is a kickin' model! You have my vote.

Thank you!!

I fondly remember the countless hours my friends and I spent playing Dark Forces and how cool we found the Crow. Nicely done here, and it could be my faulty memory but the color scheme didn't seem off from what I recalled, but it has been ~20 years.

In screen shots currently available online, Dark Tan is more accurate to the color of the ship in the games. But Dark Orange adds more character to the ship, and makes it stand out on the shelf when placed next to my other SW builds. There are some artist renditions and customer model kits that also use the dark orange color scheme, and if The Moldy Crow ends up back in the SW canon, (maybe in Rebels or plays a cameo in one for the new films) I hope Lucasfilm uses Dark Orange in stead of Dark Tan/Grey.

Maybe you should ad a link to your Lego Idea submission, so everyone could give you the support you need.

I did a lot of research about the Moldy Crow on the internet as I wanted to build my own, and it seems the first version of your MOC was the most accomplished. I'm glad you did some modifications, and that you have a custom Kyle Katarn and Jan Ors. I would be glad if your creation could be available one of these days...

It's a long shot, but having an official LEGO set available of The Moldy Crow with Katarn and Ors minifigs would be awesome. I say that not because I built this particular version of the Crow, but because I think the design of the ship added more character to the familiar assemble of SW ships already seen in Eps. 4-6.

Here's the link to the LEGO Ideas page featuring this version of The Moldy Crow. https://ideas.lego.com/projects/121705