HenrikLego

[MOC] BB-8

Thanks for your nice comments!

Really nice. How well would the sphere roll, supposing you could make the head stay on top?

Not well at all. After the incident at the cinema, I made the structure stronger, but still, it is not close to being so stable that you can roll it around.

The updated instructions on the model are here:

http://www.henriklorentzen.no/lego/bb-8-fullsize.lxf

I have also started work on improving my mid-size model. Here is a 3d-render. I will post updated instructions, part list and more images when I get all the parts I need to make this modification.

23703512014_a07a4ebb9a_b.jpg

The large model is awesome! I recently built it and it came out awesome! However I am currently working on a new project and due to that, I unfortunately have to offer BB-8 up for adoption. He is an extremely well put together little droid, and he is very friendly to people of all ages. He likes to be touched, but dont touch him to hard or else you'll pay the price. Please help BB-8 find a new home, more info can be found here: https://www.ebay.com/itm/121982953861

It is so cool to see that you actually finished building the model. We talked a bit before Christmas. I think it is absolutely amazing you finished this. I hope you enjoyed building it. And good luck with the sale!

cjd223

Did you use Henrik's updated instructions with the better support?

Michael

Yes

It is so cool to see that you actually finished building the model. We talked a bit before Christmas. I think it is absolutely amazing you finished this. I hope you enjoyed building it. And good luck with the sale!

So good to hear from you! I had an absolutely amazing time building BB-8, especially the head!

I just stumbled across this, first of all the large BB8 unit is most impressive. Great job. 

And secondly, thank you for sharing the instructions for both the large and small versions. It's my friends birthday soon and I'm going to build him the smaller version as a gift. 

Dave

So glad this thread has been resurrected as I missed it first time round. The new UCS version wont be a patch on this!

So glad you generously included the details on how to recreate the small version. Must brincklink it for my son. 

Figured I"d bring this thread back from the dead again since world circumstances had me finally get around to duplicating this effort for the full size BB-8 of ~11k pieces by Henrik.

https://imgur.com/a/6q0OARu

His work obviously, not mine.

Some notes from the build:

-I will say using LDD auto-generated instructions was a real pain as the build order was pretty terrible, but I couldn't seem to find an alternative program that could handle the 11k pieces and auto-generate instructions correctly. It also seemed to always leave some major technic elements just totally missing, and some pieces orphaned and floating in midair. Luckily since there's some duplication across the build you can figure out where things are supposed to be eventually. The auto zoom all the way back out thing that LDD did every 4 pieces placed was the bane of my existence, as trying to zoom back in every time and figure out where the heck it just placed that 1x1 plate was a real time sapper. Feel free to share how I could have done it easier, hindsight is always useful...

-I went with LBG vs the DBG he used, as I had more of those pieces lying around. I wouldn't waste the money getting 100% new white, as there are a ton of the white pieces that end up either fully hidden or mostly hidden, and a weathered look to him looks more realistic anyway.

-I reinforced the interior using the crossbars that are blue/gray in my version, his version had one included the parts list but not the other seven I ended up duplicating and adjusting to fit. Much sturdier than it would have been otherwise, I think he might have went with a similar solution when he restructured the interior.

-I also added a third technic section to connect the remaining two of the 6 sides, as I felt that would help secure it as well. You can't really secure the 6th side in the same manner because you have no way to see what you're doing once you slide it on there, so I just made the 6th face the top section and plopped that one on with the added central support.

-There is a lot of usage of 1x1 plates when larger plates (1x2, 1x3, etc) or even 1x1 bricks could be used basically all over the model. If someone took the time to go through the draw file and make it more efficient you'd probably save some decent coin. But that would cost a bunch of  time, which you might value more...

-I used a kickstand of bricks on the back and wedged it into a corner to keep it from rolling away, but definitely consider display strategy... Similarly I added some bricks to the interior of the head to give allow it to solidly attach to the body, as the instructions had it mostly just sitting on top rather than being connected solidly.

-This thing isn't light, definitely a two armed hope you don't trip effort to get it anywhere even with the head removed.

People see it right when they come in my front door, and it's certainly a conversation starter...

Thanks Henrik!

Nice! How cool to see another one :D
Yeah, I know the LDD-instructions are really, really painful to use... And I also know there are ways the parts usage could have been way more efficient... But for me it was a matter of how much time to use on it. But really glad you managed to complete it.

I placed my model on 4 32x32 baseplates where I used some tan brick and plates around it to keep it from rolling away. I also tilted the body and the head a bit so it looks a bit more like he is rolling. You can see an example on it here:

IMG_1701

My model is currently standing in the office where I work. I have been moving it around a bit and it is certainly a bit of effort to put the sides together, but once together it is pretty stable and it hasen't broken on me yet. :)