HenrikLego

[MOC] BB-8

Didn't see the new comments before now. Thanks to all. A parts list and building instructions can be provided (LDD) if someone wants that.

It's a bit bigger than the Yoda-sculpture. Here is an comparison:

22690178308_5098d69b77_b.jpg

The manager at the cinema where the model is exhibited wanted a Lego BB-8 in his office, so I made him a smaller one. Here it is:

22704795169_d96097a90c_b.jpg

Actually this model uses the exact same building technique.

Although it's 'just a sphere with dome on top', you did a great job designing all these patterns and features on it. It looks so real one would expect it to roll away :D

Came across this while looking at Anio's version. My first thoughts were, "This is big!". I can only begin to imagine the amount of plates that went into this!

I'm speechless. Real size R2D2 and Deathstars child. It's so big that it make it's body it's almost perfectly round.

Wow, this is awesome! I'd love to see what it would look like all tiled up. :wub_drool: I'd also like to see a LDD file for the small one; that one I can afford to buy the parts for! :laugh:

Edited by mediumsnowman

Is it possible to get the LDD File for this? As in the larger one?

Edited by Cjd223

Sure!

Here is the LDD-file for the small one: http://www.henriklor...b-8-midsize.lxf (note: The round orange 6x6 pieces is done by using 2x "Plate, Round Half 3 x 6 Cutout". This part was not available in LDD since it is so new, so I had to use a replacement that don't exist in orange).

Here is the LDD-file for the big one: http://www.henriklor...-8-fullsize.lxf

I should note that the LDD-file for the big one not is complete:

- The skeleton holding the thing together has been replaced by another mechanism. I made this after the skeleton in LDD failed to hold the thing stable. I'll update the LDD with the new skeleton when I got the time. (not before christmas)

- I have done some final modifications to the front of the head after i built it in LDD.

And BTW, here is a video showing the big one:

https://www.youtube....h?v=pSdpf3gfWuA

And a video showing the building of the small one (done by a friend of mine):

https://www.youtube....h?v=UbWX8W5Pyys

Edited by HenrikLego

The big one is simply beautiful.

Good work on the small one too ! The studded head works surprisingly well even at this scale.

Thank you for sharing !

Wow awesome build!! Both of them! And many thanks for the instructions! :)

The big BB-8 has been exhibited at my local cinema for over a month now. The other day it had an little accident as me and some friends of mine was going to take a picture together with it. One of us bumped in to it and it fell on the ground. Some minor building to do the following day (to say the least...). But now it's complete again, sturdier than before. Will put it back up at the cinema tomorrow where it will be until end of January.

23693391589_b3612cda91_b.jpg

23434436853_112330aa3f_b.jpg

24035111416_c6fa46e01e_b.jpg

Edited by HenrikLego

Really nice. How well would the sphere roll, supposing you could make the head stay on top?

Mark