Sign in to follow this  
Kaanere

Ghostbusters 2016 Reboot discussion

Saw it yesterday, needed to see what sparked such controversy over the last year... and that movie is a hulking piece of shit.

Leslie Jones came upon the only personn acting like a human being, Chris Hemsworth gives it's cringiest performance of all time...None of the "jokes" worked for me, the pacing was terrible ( you dont ever see them getting famous and all of a sudden the mayor asks for their help).

Even Bill Murray acts like he couldnt care less about this ( simply sits on a chair, looking bored ).

The first joke in the movie is a godamn QUEEF, I rest my case.

Edited by RetroInferno

Sadly we are a bit far away from the next cinema at Littleworlds HQ, so I guess we have to wait for the bluray/DVD/stream to see it. At least my Ecto-1 is in the mail :wink:

As far as I heard, the film seems to be rather good, or at least better than part 2, which was really uninspired from the script-side as well as from the acting. Of course tastes differ... No matter what: stay civilized, folks :wink:

Saw it yesterday, needed to see what sparked such controversy over the last year... and that movie is a hulking piece of shit.

Leslie Jones came upon the only personn acting like a human being, Chris Hemsworth gives it's cringiest performance of all time...None of the "jokes" worked for me, the pacing was terrible ( you dont ever see them getting famous and all of a sudden the mayor asks for their help).

Even Bill Murray acts like he couldnt care less about this ( simply sits on a chair, looking bored ).

The first joke in the movie is a godamn QUEEF, I rest my case.

Bill Murray is known to have been more interested in this than in reprising Venkman, and the first joke in the movie is a bit of dialogue from a tour guide about historical bigotry.

Ive seen ths film I saw it on the day of release in uk and all I can say is ehh....

There were 5 people including me watching this and let me say 4 of those people left half way throught / that was the highlight of the movie as i could take one of the comfy seats for myself with no one to stop me :P

There were a LOT of female lower part, vomit and fart jokes only 10% of these really hit put it this way if I liked Pixels and can honestly say it was better than this.Bill Murray honestly wanted to give up on life I think

My faviroute part of the whole film was the villan he wasnt memorable really but i just wanted him to win. Oh well,

On another point the animation was one of the nicest ive seen excluding some of the ghosts

So overall it failed as a film, but it was a good try by the animation team and the villain

I just finished building the new Ecto-1, which arrived today. I'd say it is slightly better than the old one. Especially the proper 4 seat layout makes it a much more useable model, where the old was mainly a display-piece really. The building experience was pretty similar. I built the first one about a year ago and the generous use of snot-techniques was indeed more than familiar.

The proton-packs though... they have been and still are way too big and still make the minifigs fall over. Maybe I can come up with a less chunky solution.

On a side-note: The current harassment Leslie Jones has to endure is absolutely disgusting. It is one thing to dislike a film (and some people who disliked it, even watched it...), but spreading hate against an actor is just grossly disgusting and incredibly coward. I am glad these people have been removed from Twitter - for good i hope.

The bitter irony in such cases is that the very same people who harass others complain about a violation of their right of free speech when they get banned.

Hatespeech is not expression of one's opinion.

On a side-note: The current harassment Leslie Jones has to endure is absolutely disgusting. It is one thing to dislike a film (and some people who disliked it, even watched it...), but spreading hate against an actor is just grossly disgusting and incredibly coward. I am glad these people have been removed from Twitter - for good i hope.

Whether the "figurehead" of the harassment should have been banned or not...I'm not going to speculate. I didn't see the tweets, and I haven't been able to find them.

That being said, my condolences to Mrs. Jones for having to deal with someone(not the "figurehead") spoofing her name and making offensive tweets in her name. That's a horrible thing to have to go through. :sad::cry_sad:

Edited by Lind Whisperer

I haven't seen the movie, but I have heard a lot of negative things since release. This may be haters who are also fans of the original, but some comments and criticisms seem pretty genuine.

To be honest I saw this coming since I saw the trailer, but hey, at least it matched it's production budget (It did, right?).

Edited by gamejutzu

Quick question, please answer spoiler free (as possible), is Bill Murray in it?

Columbus

Yes, he has a cameo.

Quick question, please answer spoiler free (as possible), is Bill Murray in it?

Columbus

Yes, he reprises his role from Groundhog Day.

Maybe.

Saw the movie a cuple hours ago. It was good, I thought the chemestry was great and a lot of the jokes were good. On the bad side there were a lot of bad jokes and the CGI was awful in my opinion.

It's flopping at the box office. Im not sure how people on here (and other places) are claiming its a success. It finished 2nd in Its opening weekend, then 5th in week 2. It will surely be out of the top 5 for good this weekend. The film will be dead within a month.

People are claiming "its perfoming great as a comedy" in terms of numbers. But the thing is, it's not a traditional comedy, it's a summer blockbuster. It has a blockbuster budget, and might very well not make it's budget back. Or if it does, barely makes a profit. Not blockbuster type numbers for sure. As a summer blockbuster, this film is flopping, plain and simple.

Facts are facts folks.

Edited by Captain Pirate Man

From wikipedia:

As of July 26, 2016, Ghostbusters has grossed $92.1 million in North America and $36.1 million in other territories for a worldwide total of $128.2 million, against a production budget of $144 million.

If the movie can't get more money than its budget in 2 weeks it is a flop. Especialy movie that has such big marketing campagin. Also unlike Pacific Rim it won't be able to capitalize on China (no movies about ghosts are allowed there for some reason).

This movie is going to end up like Robocop reboot - it won't manage to revitalize franchise and it will be forgotten in about a year.

Hardly...

Ok, so tell yourself it's doing good to make yourself feel better if that's what you need to do. I'm an honest person, a realist, so I admit it's not doing horribly, not fantastic 4 bad, no. But not nearly like it was intended to do. You do realize (well clearly not), that this film was supposed to AT LEAST pull in 500 million, and it's no way in HELL reaching that. Honestly it will be lucky at this point to clear it's 150 million price tag. Which that's not including promotion, some estimates have stated they spent another 100 million on promotions. So this film really needed to make 250 million just to break even.

A film that loses money is the definition of a flop.

From wikipedia:

As of July 26, 2016, Ghostbusters has grossed $92.1 million in North America and $36.1 million in other territories for a worldwide total of $128.2 million, against a production budget of $144 million.

If the movie can't get more money than its budget in 2 weeks it is a flop. Especialy movie that has such big marketing campagin. Also unlike Pacific Rim it won't be able to capitalize on China (no movies about ghosts are allowed there for some reason).

This movie is going to end up like Robocop reboot - it won't manage to revitalize franchise and it will be forgotten in about a year.

Which you didn't include promotions, which is somewhere around another 100 million.

I suspect its flopping has something to do with the other movies that are out right now... Star Trek, mostly, but also Finding Dory and The Secret Life of Pets for the younger audiences. I really don't think they picked a good time to release it, and I'm not going to be seeing it anytime soon because Star Trek is currently out.

Ghosbusters-bashing seems to be the cool trendy sport of the summer... I wonder why this film attracts so much, and quite often pretty aggressive, criticism. Is it because its a bad movie? Reviews across the board say something else. And even if it would be bad, there are plenty of bad movies (often reboots of popular franchises too) released every year and none of them received so much hostility. It is just disproportional.

It appears there is more beneath it, than just dislike of the film. I think it is indeed a lack of acceptance. The movie swaps the gender roles and characters like the nicely decorative, but a little thick secretary who is just hired for the looks is for a change a guy (and even thor! :tongue:).

People seem to be content to watch a retelling of the very same story again and again. The nostalgia-machine running at full speed. (In Jurassic World, for example, the dinosaurs looked even more retro, than back in 1993, when Jurassic Park came out!)

Ghostbusters did something daring, and in the eyes of many even something quite revolting: it did told its own story (at least as much it could, being a ghostbusters-film in the first place), with its own characters.

And, to be honest, if a film is good or not doesn't decides the box office. Though I would be happy to see the film being successful enough to make Hollywood dare a few more female-lead blockbusters. Just because - why not?

And one lovely day maybe, the gender of an actor won't matter anymore at all... :wink:

I can only speak for myself, but for me it is 100% because it is a reboot/ remake. If it were the same movie, but a sequel to the original films, I would support it. Sure, I would probably feel it is the worst of the 3 movies, but at least I would find value in it. Which is the exact opposite of how I feel now. But Ghostbusters isn't the only one, I love plenty of franchises that were or could be, rebooted that would anger me just as much. Take the A Nightmare on Elm Street remake. I hate and despise that film as well, it's Robert Englund or nothing for me. That remake has killed (or severly damaged) that franchise as well.

But if they remade/rebooted Aliens, Back to the Future, Star Wars, and plenty others I would be just as outraged. But I'll be the first to admit that it's a case by case scenrio, some films benefit from reboots, others it tarnishes. Take Godzilla, I have no problem with them rebooting that, same goes for James Bond.

I know where you were going with your comment, you feel it's because they are women. While I can't speak for the everybody, but for me that is NOT the reason. Like I said, if this were a continuation of the previous films, but keep the cast in tact, I could find value and even enjoyment with it.

But having said that, someone uploaded the final 12 minutes of the film on youtube and I watched it. Which IMO it's not very good at all, very average trending towards bad. And I would still feel that way if it was a sequel. The climax in Ghostbusters 2 is far superior. Let alone the original, Its not even in the same ball park.

I can only speak for myself, but for me it is 100% because it is a reboot/ remake. If it were the same movie, but a sequel to the original films, I would support it. Sure, I would probably feel it is the worst of the 3 movies, but at least I would find value in it. Which is the exact opposite of how I feel now.

Why? It's only a film.

Why? It's only a film.

Because it's a film/ franchise that is important to me. Its something that I have valued my whole life (I'm 34) essentially. Overall in so sick of Hollywood recycling the ideas of yesterday just make a buck (which is exactly why this movie even exists). Every year we get 5-10 major remakes, and pretty much all of them suck. Not even remotely worthy to carry the franchise. Honestly I miss the days of endless sequels. Sure you know they are going to be inferior to the original, but at least it's a continueation of the established cannon. Starting over is such a cop out. Besides, as a fan, you have been on this journey with the films, and in many cases the overall story that is being told over the course of the series is never really resolved. So it's essentially left on a giant cliff hanger, all because studio execs decided to "reboot".

But beyond all that, remakes and reboots are (at least to me) like having a new band that's called The Beatles. Instead of John, Paul, George, and Ringo we have 4 new guys. But yet they go around calling themselves the Beatles and are playing the famous songs. You're not the beatles, you are just a cover band. This movie is not The Ghostbusters, it's a cover band pretending they are the Ghostbusters.

Yeah, I do see your point... there don't seem to be a lot of truly original movies these days. Endless adaptations, sequels, prequels, remakes, and reboots, many of which no-one asked for. According to Wikipedia, only 2 of this year's top 10 highest-grossing movies are original: Zootopia and the Chinese movie "The Mermaid". 2015 had 1 original movie in that list: Inside Out. 2014: Interstellar. 2013: Gravity. 2012: NOTHING. This has been happening for quite some time.

I guess Hollywood has run out of creativity? After all, it's either a comic book or novel/story book adaptization to movies nowadays, e.g. Marvel/DC, Harry Potter series, Twilight saga, Percy Jackson, LOTR/Hobbit, etc.

I guess Hollywood has run out of creativity? After all, it's either a comic book or novel/story book adaptization to movies nowadays, e.g. Marvel/DC, Harry Potter series, Twilight saga, Percy Jackson, LOTR/Hobbit, etc.

Trying something new and different is risky business. Safer to stick with what worked before. investment money-wise.