Sign in to follow this  
Kaanere

Ghostbusters 2016 Reboot discussion

I've just seen it and I'm pleasently suprised. It was decent. :classic: Not as good as original two films but still ok. Highlights of the movie are defintely Holtzman (she was just great :wub: ), Rowan (who was suprisingly well done antagonist, I also have a weakspot for bad guys having fun with their powers)and gadgets used by the team.

Special effects and CGI were well done (Slimer never looked better).

Last act was very entertaining (except infamous crotch shooting). Also end credits were great - I was very sceptical to the idea of

dancing possesed cops

but it was handled way better than in leaked Feig's mail (the fact it wasn't part of the movie, just a silly gag after it, helped the scene a lot).

But now lets get to the bad.

Abby was awful human being. Ruining your supposed best friend's (past one but still) name for some extra cash? Erin should simply sue her.

Bill Murray's cameo. It was kinda insulting to original.

Kevin (when not possesed). His stupidity got annoying very quick.

Mayor and his assistant. Their behaviour was such a bad cliche.

The mumbling/small talk between crew. I dislike this type of comedy.

The response to negative comments on internet. This was just immature from director.

And the worst for the last: the cover of original song. It was awful.

I'd give it solid 6/10 (with original being 10/10 and sequel being 8/10).

Not a bad movie but people responsible for marketing it should be fired by Sony.

Edited by Krulis

I haven't seen the movie yet but

The dancing scene really wasn't part of the actual movie? That's disappointing, I wanted to see how bad it was haha

Last act was very entertaining (except infamous crotch shooting).

So, does it actually happen?

I thought it was a joke!

Abby was awful human being. Ruining your supposed best friend's (past one but still) name for some extra cash? Erin should simply sue her.

Abby has flaws but so does Homer Simpson. That's what makes these type of characters appealing.

Bill Murray's cameo. It was kinda insulting to original.

I completely disagree, it wasn't insulting at all. It was just a fun cameo and Bill Murray performed it brilliantly.

The response to negative comments on internet. This was just immature from director.

How is two lines 'immature'?

Saw it, I mean it wasn't bad. I was entertained, but it didn't make me laugh. To me, it didn't do anything that made it stand out. I'll forget it in a week, so I'll give it a 5/10.

:hmpf_bad: Your posts about the Ghostbusters movie have been moved from the LEGO Dimensions Discussion to this topic.

It's pointless to have the same discussion in two locations, when there is already a dedicated topic here.

Abby has flaws but so does Homer Simpson. That's what makes these type of characters appealing.

I completely disagree, it wasn't insulting at all. It was just a fun cameo and Bill Murray performed it brilliantly.

How is two lines 'immature'?

Each to their own I suppose. She was too annoying for my taste.

Murray's character was like antithesis to Venkman and it just irritated me.

It shown that he can't take critcism very well (I know the amount of hate first trailer got could be overwhelming, but as a professional he is supposed to be able to deal with it).

So, does it actually happen?

I thought it was a joke!

It reall happens. Luckily it isn't how final blow is dealt to him.

:hmpf_bad: Your posts about the Ghostbusters movie have been moved from the LEGO Dimensions Discussion to this topic.

It's pointless to have the same discussion in two locations, when there is already a dedicated topic here.

The posts may have been in the wrong topic but it's wrong to issue a warning to me about it. I wouldn't discuss the Ghostbusters reboot in here if the posts I quote were discussing it in this thread.

The posts may have been in the wrong topic but it's wrong to issue a warning to me about it. I wouldn't discuss the Ghostbusters reboot in here if the posts I quote were discussing it in this thread.

That excuse is not good enough. Simply copy the member's quote and continue the discussion in the correct topic. You were equally to blame for continuing the discussion in the wrong topic.

Murray's character was like antithesis to Venkman and it just irritated me.

That was the joke...

It shown that he can't take critcism very well (I know the amount of hate first trailer got could be overwhelming, but as a professional he is supposed to be able to deal with it).

Not really. He and his cast got sent a massive amount of abuse. Plus it's literally two lines. That's all.

That excuse is not good enough. Simply copy the member's quote and continue the discussion in the correct topic. You were equally to blame for continuing the discussion in the wrong topic.

I don't think like that though. My brain's wired differently due to my autistic condition. To be fair to you you may not have known but sometimes I need a little nudge to say 'Maybe you should do this instead...'.

I don't think like that though. My brain's wired differently due to my autistic condition. To be fair to you you may not have known but sometimes I need a little nudge to say 'Maybe you should do this instead...'.

If you can't follow the Site Guidelines to remain on topic, you will be warned again.

You were given a +0 to your warn level, which I use to track minor offenses and does not count towards you getting banned.

If you want to continue this discussion on my Moderating, respond in the Some Rude Moderators? Topic. This has been discussed ENOUGH in this topic.

Thanks.

I haven't seen the reboot yet (who knows if I ever will?) but I keep seeing people compare it to the original.

That's inevitable. Yet when discussing it it seems everyone seems to think the original was a perfect movie. Really?

I just don't get the love for the original. I didn't care for it much as a kid (although I have some memories of watching the cartoon series), and rewatching it as an adult it simply doesn't hold up for me. I don't think the acting is great, the story is weak, and it's just not funny. For the most part, I find it a chore to sit through.

I'm not trying to be argumentative, I am just trying to understand: what do people like about the original?

Saw the movie.

It was.. I liked it? I guess? I mean there were a couple corny jokes but it was overall a good movie to me I guess.

Very mad they left out a certain scene and put it in the credits.

Saw it, I mean it wasn't bad. I was entertained, but it didn't make me laugh. To me, it didn't do anything that made it stand out. I'll forget it in a week, so I'll give it a 5/10.

still think the lego set is awesome though?

still think the lego set is awesome though?

Yeah, of course! The Lone Ranger movie was pretty bad, but the sets still kick megablocks.

I'm not trying to be argumentative, I am just trying to understand: what do people like about the original?

For me it's mainly Bill Murray but it is also the way the comedy stems from the situation rather than it being a parody of the horror genre. You can read my review of it here: http://dalekbusterscreenfivereviews.blogspot.co.uk/2016/07/ghostbusters-1984.html

Saw the movie last night and was pleasantly surprised. I actually really enjoyed it. It wasn't as good as the first one, but I'd say it's leaps and bounds ahead of the second in terms of comedy, action, and story. It seemed to have surprised the rest of the people in my theater as well, who gave it quite the ovation, something I rarely see in any movie theater and something that I didn't even witness during my showing of TFA on its opening days.

I just saw it, and it's really good! No, it's not as groundbreakingly inspired as the original (how can it be?), but it's genuinely funny, and even though I enjoy Ghostbusters 2 I have to say this is much better than that. It also deftly walks a line between paying respects to and referencing the original while still doing its own thing.

And Jillian Holtzmann is awesome.

the movie is complete sh*t. every man in the movie was ether an idiot or an A**Hole or a bad guy. The movie is sexist and racist. It sucks. Look its great to have women in lead roles but the whole movie was a manbashing film. Also the director said F the fans and called us fans A**Holes for not liking it as well as calling us sexist when his movie is sexist. I kinda wish this wasn't in Dimensions now after seeing it. But how could you like it when the movie is sexist and racist and the director said F you and called us fans A**Holes? :hmpf_bad:

Pfft. This is just plain factually wrong.

Edited by Blondie-Wan

Have not seen the film but did see the logo get shot in the groin....really? Really? :laugh:

Saw the movie last weekend. My kids enjoyed it as did I.

Totally agree on Holtzmann. She rocks! :thumbup:

At the beginning of the movie, did anybody see a bronze head bust of a certain, "someone"? :wink:

Yep, propably my favourite cameo (and nice way to pay respect).

Saw it. Surprisingly good. The trailers are honestly just a pile of megablocks that make the movie seem completely different from what it actually is. And that 2d animation moment was really great. I'd definitely recommend it. Plus, Venkman in the original was really just a creepy jerk, so I'm glad this one doesn't suffer from that.

Edited by DraikNova

Saw it yesterday and I thought it was great! Leslie Jones and Chris Hemsworth were standouts for me, being the best parts of the movie. Melissa McCarthy and Kristen Wiig were good too, doing their usual thing. Kate McKinnon was funny at times, but I felt her character was a bit random and not well-defined. The villain was alright, he was pretty much there just so they could have an antagonist. The effects were amazing in my opinion, being some of the best 3D I've seen in a while. While not every joke lands, it still made me chuckle and had a few laugh-out-loud moments. It just really bothers me that this was a complete reboot rather than a "passing the torch" to the new female cast, and since they pretty much had most of the original cast do cameos, it honestly wouldn't have been that hard (they could have done so through Ernie Hudson's relation to Patty).

Also, I've noticed that some see this movie as sexist pointing out that every male character is non-intelligent or (for lack of a better word) an a-hole to the Ghostbusters, however I see this as noticeable among every character that is not a Ghostbuster, male and female. Society is pushing against what the Ghostbusters are trying to accomplish, and the Ghostbuseters are fighting back, proving themselves. Cecily Strong's character is an example of a female character who is against the Ghostbusters, making this point clear. Sure, the crotch shot at the end of the battle is questionable, but honestly not a big deal as it only lasted a few seconds.

I would say this film is on the same level as Jurassic World, being a re-introduction to an old franchise that offers a lot of familiarity story-wise. While it's not as good as the original (which, honestly, Ghostbusters 2 couldn't even accomplish), I believe it is a worthy entry to this new Ghostbusters franchise that is being built. I do recommend it, and is definitely a movie that should be seen in 3D.