Sign in to follow this  
Kaanere

Ghostbusters 2016 Reboot discussion

That campaign, if it can be called such, is just a bunch of people on a bunch of places like reddit discussing the movie and disliking it.

Plenty to dislike, too. The movie looks bad (usual disclaimer here, maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised), the trailers look bad and painfully unfunny, it's a well-liked franchise getting crapped on, it's got strong ties to the ugly politics of the day, and the people involved just love trying to insult their audience. Seems like every time the noise dies down a little, there's some new interview or article telling us all about rampant misogyny being the only possible reason to dislike this majestic masterpiece. Really, isn't that enough?

it's a well-liked franchise getting crapped on

Actually nobody "craps" on anything. Its only a film after all. As the 1984 film is and its pretty weak sequel from 1990ish.

it's got strong ties to the ugly politics of the day

Which are?

and the people involved just love trying to insult their audience

If you mean the people who spread hate towards members of the cast, I'd gladly join in these so-called "insults".

Really, isn't that enough?

I think you indeed made your point clear.

Which are?

Don't feel like getting into this, and politics is too narrow a word. Here's a topical example though, do you remember Mad Max Fury Road?

There was this slew of articles around release, claiming mens' rights activists were pushing for a boycott. I got curious and looked, and I found exactly one guy whining about how too much Furiosa made it a 'feminist flick.' People ran with this, blew it up into a huge deal, and now we're seeing the same thing cranked up to eleven.

The idea of some coordinated hate campaign is idiotic; this is it, right here, we are it, random people talking to random people about the movie, some disliking it enough to click the dislike button - wow, what a pathetic act of hatred, right? Check out this article, dated today. Check out the tagline: "Reboot of the 1984 classic has been hammered by fans for no reason other than its female cast, something which may convince Hollywood to stick with its male-dominant structure."

No reason, right, you know, except the unfunny jokes, the cringy racial stereotyping, the ugly designs, the confused writing, the fact Sony had to threaten legal action to force cooperation of the original cast, nnnnnooooooo reason whatsoever!

This is part of the movie's marketing campaign. It's working nicely. Driving controversy, keeping people talking about the movie and setting up the excuse for its failure. And you've bought into it completely. Congratulations. Enjoy the movie.

Interesting hypothesis about the controversy being actually marketing campaign. However, that's a bit too paranoid to be taken seriously.

You also have to admit, that at least in one point the Southern China Morning Post you are quoting is right: Hollywood is indeed very male dominated. Take alone the pay-gap between male and female main characters.

I also see a number of accusations I'd like to see the source from. Who of the original cast exactly did Sony force to participate in the film - and how?

Personally I find the designs not ugly, rather quite inspired by the 1984 film. Even the car is (at the time of filming) 30ish year old :wink:

I also don't think we can give any opinion on the "confused writing" yet, with only knowing a couple of trailers. Confused scripts is more the department of marvel-movies anyway :laugh:

Also humour is something where people will never completely agree on. Maybe a lot of people find the film hilarious? It can't be much worse than Ghostbusters 2, at least not from my point of view :wink:

Anyway, however the film will be, Its just a film after all. And who can't deal with women taking the roles as lead characters, doesn't have to watch it. And even if its a terrible film, that wont stop me from racing with the little Lego Ecto-1 over the carpet of Littleworlds HQ. Maybe they will even have a race with the male Ghostbusters :laugh:

Interesting hypothesis about the controversy being actually marketing campaign. However, that's a bit too paranoid to be taken seriously.

That's funny, I think the same thing about that 'hate campaign' business.
You also have to admit, that at least in one point the Southern China Morning Post you are quoting is right: Hollywood is indeed very male dominated. Take alone the pay-gap between male and female main characters.
And I'm just not seeing how this translates into the sort of systemic womanhating that's being claimed. There've been plenty of female-led movies. Where was the hatred and backlash then? I've seen this exactly once before, and that was that little puff of nothing around Fury Road.
I also see a number of accusations I'd like to see the source from. Who of the original cast exactly did Sony force to participate in the film - and how?
http://www.cinemable...ters-68651.html
Personally I find the designs not ugly, rather quite inspired by the 1984 film. Even the car is (at the time of filming) 30ish year old :wink:
Eeeegh after the marketing the car's my biggest complaint about the movie. The original was pretty awesome, iconic, the new one's a plain box from the worst years of General Motors. Though, the first one was an ambulance and this one a hearse, so there's something funny about the movie after all!
IIt can't be much worse than Ghostbusters 2, at least not from my point of view :wink:
No comment here, there's a Ghostbusters 2 shaped hole in my memories and I'm not eager to know what's in there.
Anyway, however the film will be, Its just a film after all.
No, this is a large part of the problem and exactly what's causing the backlash: it's goen from 'just a movie' to some Grand Sweeping Statement on Gender Relations in our Horrible Sexist Society, or some such tripe. People can deal with women leading just fine. But let's not pretend that alone makes a movie good. Anyway, we'll see how the release goes, have fun Ecto racing.

I'm not going to use quotes here, to not interrupt the text-flow (and because I'm too lazy honestly^^):

Regarding the hate campaign: Things like this happened before. Just think about the massive misogynist shitstorms in the gaming community. So its not unreasonable to suspect something like this happening to the Ghostbusters-reboot. Whilst, on the other hand, a film studio trying to promote their product with such a negative campaign looks like quite a stretch to me. It might make the film get talked about, but also divides the fandom and hence the potential audience group drastically.

I think what that newspaper is suggesting is that studios would in future rather look into producing a "conventional" reboot instead one where the gender roles are swapped, which isn't quite unreasonable to suspect. On the other hand, as long we don't have any data on how the film performs at the box office, its pointless to speculate.

I think the 1984 car today is about as weird and unusual as the one in the original film was back then, so in my opinion it really fits. And both have quite a charisma - when one can say this about a car :wink:

And yes, lets agree there has been no Ghostbusters 2, or any Matrix sequel :thumbup::classic:

I think it was Michael Moore, who said that all that misogynism is just the roar of dying dinosaurs. I hope he is right, regardless if that particular film is a hit or a bomb :classic:

@Ecto racing: Vroooom! :classic:

Edit: @Sony putting pressure on cast members: As far I can tell is that they considered things, but didn't do anything. And it would been of course foolhardy to go against one of them and have that dragged out in public. Possibly it was more aimed towards securing the rights and have it all legally watertight? Its not nice wording, but its a multi-million-$ business after all.

Edited by Littleworlds

Just found all the reboot toys at target a few weeks ago and today I saw them on clearance. Not even sale - they had the red clearance stickers on them, marked down by about 30%. $20 action figures for $14.

Kinda scary that this target is already pulling out.

I've seen photos all over the world of the toys all already on clearance. It's funny :laugh:

Whilst, on the other hand, a film studio trying to promote their product with such a negative campaign looks like quite a stretch to me. It might make the film get talked about, but also divides the fandom and hence the potential audience group drastically.

You have to remember, a film studios main goal is to make money. Not movies, money.

I agree that this is all a marketing ploy. I will refrain from participating in any of the political gender role junk, but I will put my two cents in for this portion.

As long as the studio makes money, they're happy, even if the film is poorly received.

The way they've set it up, the target audience is Ghostbusters fans who will see it even if they hate it (Or don't.), feminists, anti-feminists (Those two alone make up a huge amount of people, I would imagine), and the people who just hear about the controversy and go see it for that.

That's a lot more people than if they'd made a Ghostbusters 3 and just drawn the Ghostbuster fan crowd and a few stragglers.

I think it is an extremely clever (And morally ambiguous, messing with emotions and crating a schism) marketing trick, and whoever thought it up deserves a raise and a hug.

Just found all the reboot toys at target a few weeks ago and today I saw them on clearance. Not even sale - they had the red clearance stickers on them, marked down by about 30%. $20 action figures for $14.

Kinda scary that this target is already pulling out.

Wow, Target must be run by idiots. The movie's not even out yet; putting the toys on clearance is therefore stupid.

I mean, I don't know anything about business but I'm sure it gives off a bad sign for a film if the toys are at bargain price before the movie's release.

Edited by LEGODalekbuster523

I'll add that as a long time action figure collector, I've never seen a store clearance a movie line before the movie has hit theaters. Worst case scenarios is they usually clearance after the movie hits and bombs, but not before.

This particular Target has maybe 1-2 feet of space devoted to Ghostbusters with Dory alittle further down. It may be that given the ridiculous success of Dory, they may be looking to clear up more shelf space by canning Ghostbusters. Given that I've also seen the new action figures (ladies) go for half retail on eBay, this is not good.

Still holding out hope this ends well...

Wow, Target must be run by idiots. The movie's not even out yet; putting the toys on clearance is therefore stupid.

I mean, I don't know anything about business but I'm sure it gives off a bad sign for a film if the toys are at bargain price before the movie's release.

I think it has more to do with the film affecting the market, not the other way around.

The film will not flop because Target had merchandise on clearance.

The merchandise is on clearance because of a someone's statistics showing that nobody wants the merchandise, most likely because they don't care for the film, for whatever reason.

Edited by Actor Builder

I think it has more to do with the film affecting the market, not the other way around.

The film will not flop because Target had merchandise on clearance.

The merchandise is on clearance because of a someone's statistics showing that nobody wants the merchandise, most likely because they don't care for the film, for whatever reason.

Well of course nobody wants it yet. The film doesn't come out until Monday.

I see your reasoning... merch based off of a pre-existing story will sell, but based on something completely different that hasn't come out yet (how many 8-year-olds in Target have seen the original, I wonder...) won't sell until the target audience has a frame of reference for it. Hmm...

I watched a review on Reddit, it's exactly what I thought. Man-hating, bad characters, and bad CGI. Don't believe me about man-bashing? Apparently,

the final villain is defeated by the four shooting him in the d*ck with the proton beams

Edited by Jbricks

I watched a review on Reddit, it's exactly what I thought. Man-hating, bad characters, and bad CGI. Don't believe me about man-bashing? Apparently,

the final villain is defeated by the four shooting him in the d*ck with the proton beams

The reviewer on Reddit was biased - he had no interest in the film and doesn't even like the 1984 original!

Besides, I think the shot in the trailer of Abby Yates shooting Rowan's Ghost in the private parts is laugh-out-loud funny.

Turns out Ghostbusters is a sexist movie. Multiple people that were at the screenings, said that the film is a men-bashing film that portrays every male character as either an a** hole or an idiot. Really a shame...

Yeah, if that quote doesn't scream desperation I don't know what does.

I was open for the move, I didn't think first trailer was bad but the more and more footage appearing makes the movie look very bad.

Rowan's Ghost being shot in a crotch, female Slimer, Feig saying that they wanted to do some kind of Slimer backstory (luckily they abandoned the idea), one of cameos of original cast appearing in the trailer, and that awful joke about Kevin adding breast to the logo (to show that all men are pigs) not to mention sudden review embargo (bad sign) all point to it being just a giant mess. It's going to get glowing reviews from modern feminists and every other type of SJW you can imagine and everyone who will say something negative about the movie is going to be labeled as a bigot.

It may end up joining Fant4stic, Batman and Robin and few other "masterpieces" that seriously hurt their license.

In spite all of that I'm going to watch it on 15th and see for myself how bad it is (or maybe I'll be positively suprised and end up liking it).

Reviewers that are biased in favor of the movie, though, are to be considered perfectly acceptable sources. :hmpf_bad:

He's not a professional reviewer, he's a reddit user.

Yeah, if that quote doesn't scream desperation I don't know what does.

I fail to see how it screams desperation. It is a more credible source than the Reddit user.

Rowan's Ghost being shot in a crotch

What's wrong with that? It's funny.

female Slimer

Female Slimer is probably only in a small scene in the movie and I'd imagine a pretty harmless joke.

and that awful joke about Kevin adding breast to the logo

Speak for yourself. I find that joke hilarious.

not to mention sudden review embargo (bad sign)

All film reviews are embargoed before release.

Insulting people who dislike the movie is higly unprofessional for critic, and to me it just sounds like desperate attempt to validate one's point.

As for the humor it's highly subjective so there is no point in arguing about it.

The embargo was is lifted day before premiere which usually is sign of lack of confidence and studio being afraid about ticket sales (CA: Civil War's embargo was lifted month before the premiere if I rember corectly, so one day for Ghosbusters seemed weried to me).

We shall see what reviews say when bigger sites will post them.

Dalekbuster, being a critic doesn't mean someone is unbiased. In fact, many critics are paid to write good/bad reviews (unfortunately). Even if not bribed, any critic could be biased by their own beliefs. That one clearly is meaning to mock those that dislike the movie, a clear indicator of either bias or narcissism.

Why would anyone be ok with a movie that is overtly bashing half the people in the world? The extreme irony that this is actually a sexist movie when the makers claimed that it was "sexists" that would dislike it is insane.

Besides, I think the shot in the trailer of Abby Yates shooting Rowan's Ghost in the private parts is laugh-out-loud funny.

What the heck is wrong with you?

That is not humor. That is called pain.

Rowan's Ghost being shot in a crotch, female Slimer, Feig saying that they wanted to do some kind of Slimer backstory (luckily they abandoned the idea), one of cameos of original cast appearing in the trailer, and that awful joke about Kevin adding breast to the logo (to show that all men are pigs) not to mention sudden review embargo (bad sign) all point to it being just a giant mess.

The video is about video game review embargoes, but the point's raised are still valid.