Sign in to follow this  
Kaanere

Ghostbusters 2016 Reboot discussion

Did someone have to say Egon or doc Brown from BTTF were "such and such smart guys"?

I know this one! No! They did not!

I'm not going to sit here and say it looks like the worst movie ever made, or anything like that. But I will say it looks like a serious drop in quality, even over Ghostbusters 2. Which that brings me to one of the biggest reasons why, no Harold Ramis. He was a very gifted, and under appreciated writer. He is the man that brought realism and integrity to Dan Aykroyds original Ghostbusters script. Without Harold, the first movie would not of been NEAR the success it became. Yes it was Dan's original idea, and a great one to his credit, but it was Harold that put the idea in reality, and added humor to it that was believable.

"You forget Peter, I witnessed an under sea mass sponge migration. Ray, the sponges migrated about a foot and half." "Do you have any hobbies? I collect spores, molds, and fungus." Those are examples of simple little dialogue character exchanges that establish who these characters are. They are short, quick, funny, and allow the viewer to peak into the minds of the characters. They are what Ramis did brilliantly. We forget he was the writer of not only Ghostbusters, but also Groundhog Day, Animal House, Stripes, and Caddyshack. Based on these tarilers, the writing does indeed feel cheap, forced, and uninspired compared to the work of Harold Ramis. I'm sorry, it just does. That is another reason (amoungst a handful) why this movie does not deserve to be called Ghostbusters.

Edited by Captain Pirate Man

More proof that it was the editing that was the problem with the first trailer, not the jokes:

I disagree, the jokes were better in the international trailer. No face-slapping unfunny joke.

Edit: Actually, pretty much all the jokes with Leslie Jones's character fell flat for me.

Edited by Jbricks

This looks awful. I think that if they are going to do this then they should do a TFA or Indy style reboot with the original people. Grr. Just to make this clear, I am not averse to women playing the Ghostbusters, I am just averse to women playing stupid Ghostbusters.

Columbus

Anyone think that the all-female cast was a shield against criticism? Everyone I've seen that put up criticism of the trailers has had to put in a "I don't hate women, but..." People who don't throw in that statement are labelled as sexists. Why? Why do people feel the need to jump to the defense of a women led project? do they think that women are incapable of making actual good jokes, and are therefore not able to be rightfully criticized? Do people honestly think that people see a woman in a video and hit the dislike button? The screenwriters were so clever. Now the SJW types will idolize the movie and shame those with valid criticisms. It's saddening, really.

I'm getting tired of the sexist comments. The movie hasn't come out yet, you can't judge it by a trailer. Watch it first, then feel free to express your opinion. I'm curious to see the movie, I'm sure it'll be fine.

I'm getting tired of the sexist comments.

But how many honestly sexist comments have you seen? I've seen few compared to the numerous valid, not sexist criticisms.

But how many honestly sexist comments have you seen? I've seen few compared to the numerous valid, not sexist criticisms.

Not on here, but on YouTube. The latest trailer comments are awful.

I'm getting tired of the sexist comments. The movie hasn't come out yet, you can't judge it by a trailer. Watch it first, then feel free to express your opinion. I'm curious to see the movie, I'm sure it'll be fine.

I'm getting tired of people saying you can't judge a film by it's trailer.

That is precisely what the trailers are for: Judging.

If you don't like what you see in the trailer, odds are you will not like the film.

There are exceptions, of course, but for the most part, trailers are a very good way to judge whether or not you'd like the film enough to pay to watch it in theatres.

Not on here, but on YouTube. The latest trailer comments are awful.

Honestly, I would hardly judge anything by YouTube comments. Those are pretty much a cesspool of flames and trolls.

That said, I'd probably wait for the movie to hit alternative distribution options other than cinema. I just don't find it that funny and I'd prefer a mixed cast anyway.

The movie looks okay. Definitely doesn't deserve to be the most down voted video in history.

I'll go and watch it because I think giving more high-profile characters to women should be encouraged.

The trailer itself isn't too bad. The worst part of it is the misogynistic fanboys who down-voted the trailer & used it as an excuse to spew more sexist garbage.

A lot of the sexist comments are along the lines of "women can't be funny." Shame on the writers/trailer makers, as they've mostly perpetuated that stereotype. (Not saying the commentators are not at fault too)

Edited by Jbricks

Looks like crap, but a lot of movies look like crap. What's interesting is that everyone associated with this one seems to be pushing the 'if you don't like it you're a misogynistic forty year old loser living in his mother's basement' angle.

Edited by Space Police XVIII

Looks like crap, but a lot of movies look like crap. What's interesting is that everyone associated with this one seems to be pushing the 'if you don't like it you're a misogynistic forty year old loser living in his mother's basement' angle.

Last time I checked I didn't live in a basement (or at my parents). I am 40 years old though.

I hope it tanks bigtime.

My concern is that if it tanks, it may prevent any other company from going near the Ghostbusters IP. We've seen it before where one bad movie kills a franchise that is otherwise really good.

I'm hoping it's good for its merits, but I'm also hoping it's good so it doesn't kill Ghostbusters.

where one bad movie kills a franchise

Thanks to your post I realized something. I am sick to death of franchises.

Can we see something new? can we see something original? nooooo, let's have another retread of something, anything, that made some money in the past. Give it a shiny new coat of paint! an oh so amazing twist like a female cast! and make the Death Star bigger this time, it's genius, job well done!

The Youtube comments on here are right. To say that everyone who disliked the video is sexist and misogynist is ridiculous. A lot of people disliked the trailers because the jokes weren't funny. Not because it had female characters in it.

Proof once again that some people are pathetic.

Yeah! 250000 of them!

Edited by Robert8

The official trailer has almost 1000000 dislikes an only 250000 likes

Ghostbusters trailer is most disliked in YouTube history

LOL

The link to Screencrush in this article is very interesting. It points out that, the amount of dislikes in relation to likes is suspiciously high compared with every other "most hated" video, which indicates less a genuine dislike by the viewers, but rather towards a campaign against the movie, otherwise it would have a more common like/dislike relation.

It is appalling how much hate something like a movie release can cause, while there are far more important issues in our world. But alas, they are complex, hating is always easy. And it saves the haters from bringing up any constructive contribution.