Sign in to follow this  
Kaanere

Ghostbusters 2016 Reboot discussion

Ghostbusters is a "comedy" and there were dramatic bits to push along the overall comedy. But Ghostbusters itself was not some drama of a movie.

This new Ghostbusters is trying to do the same thing, but the comedy of this era is different than that of the 1980s. This movie is always going to feel different in that way.

I think this film looks great and a lot better than the very average Ghostbusters 2. I can only assume people who say it's going to flop have no idea how much money Paul Feig films usually bring in. If he can do that with original movies, then Gozer knows how much he'll make with this film.

Well we can all wait and see, but I very much think it's going to flop after seeing this trailer.

Yes Ghostbusters was a comedy, but it had REAL horror elements in it as well. For every fun or silly ghost, there WAS a dark scary one to balance it out. Library ghost was scary, slimer was silly. Dana was a Scary possesion, Louis was a silly possession. Gozer was a serious villian, stay Puft was silly. The film has balance. Based on this trailer, it doesn't have ANY balance, it's all slapstick silliness. Perhaps the actual film will have MORE seriousness to it, but as far as trailers go, that is an AWFUL representation.

I think this film looks great and a lot better than the very average Ghostbusters 2. I can only assume people who say it's going to flop have no idea how much money Paul Feig films usually bring in. If he can do that with original movies, then Gozer knows how much he'll make with this film.

I think you, and others give Paul Fieg far too much credit. He has had 1 real hit, bridesmaids. But Briadsmaids was essentially a ripoff of The Hangover. So it's not like he had a real original idea there. What else has he done? Spy? Ohh that'll be remebered years to come as a great film...

I think you, and others give Paul Fieg far too much credit. He has had 1 real hit, bridesmaids. But Briadsmaids was essentially a ripoff of The Hangover. So it's not like he had a real original idea there. What else has he done? Spy? Ohh that'll be remebered years to come as a great film...

Not true. The Heat and Spy were huge hits. The Heat has done well enough to be given a sequel.

Between The Heat, Spy and Bridesmaids Paul Feig is basically the American equivalent of Edgar Wright.

Yes Ghostbusters was a comedy, but it had REAL horror elements in it as well. For every fun or silly ghost, there WAS a dark scary one to balance it out. Library ghost was scary, slimer was silly. Dana was a Scary possesion, Louis was a silly possession. Gozer was a serious villian, stay Puft was silly. The film has balance. Based on this trailer, it doesn't have ANY balance, it's all slapstick silliness. Perhaps the actual film will have MORE seriousness to it, but as far as trailers go, that is an AWFUL representation.

The library ghost jump scare was followed up by upbeat music as the crew runs out like a bunch of chickens. Peter Venkman was continually trying to seduce Dana while she was possessed. Gozer's outfit was ridiculously campy, and a name like Gozer the Gozerian? I mean, sure, Ghostbusters works because it takes it's material seriously, but all good comedies do that.

The new Ghostbusters is selling itself as a comedy like the original. Would you present to an audience looking for comedy the toned down drama to push the plot forward, or the more emphasized comedy which the audience wants to see if they're going into a comedy film?

I didn't think this was a good trailer. Maybe the movie will still be good, but the trailer seemed terribly inconsistent and poorly cut.

I didn't think this was a good trailer. Maybe the movie will still be good, but the trailer seemed terribly inconsistent and poorly cut.

Yes this.

That is why I posted the trailers to the other 2 films, because they have a completely different tone than the trailer to the new film has. I suppose it's still possible that the movie might be decent, but this trailer did NOTHING to help sell this movie. The best part is the beginning referencing the original Ghostbusters, but once the knew film kicks in it's all down hill from there.

The bottom line is look at the likes and dislikes on YouTube, over 10,000 more dislikes. I've NEVER seen that before for a new film. People have some really strong opinions reguarding this film, and this trailer did NOTHING to change those opinions, if anything they made it worse.

I'll at least give the movie a chance, because you shouldn't judge a book by it's cover (or a film by it's trailer, for that matter). :tongue:

Guys, stop bashing the trailer. It wasn't ALL bad.

The first 20 seconds when you realize, hey, it is a sequel! That is a neat opening shot!

Annnnnnnnnd they you watch the rest...

:sick:

Edited by LegoPercyJ

I'll at least give the movie a chance, because you shouldn't judge a book by it's cover (or a film by it's trailer, for that matter). :tongue:

Actually...That's kind of the point of film trailers...For people to judge them, hopefully have a positive response and then see the film.

Woah woah woah woah, nice shootin Tex! Now this is turning into a flamewar of people not liking other's opinions. Please, everybody has their own opinion. No need to prove the other wrong just because they liked the trailer.

I don't know why people are complaining about the CGI. It looks superb to me. Did everybody on the internet learn how to make perfect CGI? :look:

I don't know why people are complaining about the CGI. It looks superb to me. Did everybody on the internet learn how to make perfect CGI? :look:

You don't have to be a chef to know what tastes good.

But Briadsmaids was essentially a ripoff of The Hangover.

What??? Bridesmaids is absolutely nothing like The Hangover...thematically or comedically. That's a huge stretch.

Anyway, this film does not really interest me because I think the original GB is over rated garbage that's actually not funny (sorry y'all). It must be a generational thing. I think all of these ladies can be funny, but I will not waste my money seeing this

First, let me begin by saying that I absolutely loved the original movie and saw it maybe 50 times (no joke, my VHS tape with it was quite worn :classic: ). The second movie, while not as great, was still pretty decent and I overall liked it as well.

When I learned they were making this, I wasn't happy. Let's get it out of the way right now - it wasn't because they're all girls this time. I just didn't like the overall idea of rebooting such a classic and gender had nothing to do with it. BUT... I still kept a VERY open mind, saying to myself and others that if this turns out to be good and the movie is able to defend itself, I will actually be glad, and change my mind about the whole project. So, I watched the trailer without any prejudice whatsoever. And...

I didn't like it. The tone, the colours, everything - doesn't feel like a Ghostbusters movie. And most of all - it wasn't funny. At all. It had attempts at humour but all of them failed miserably. I didn't laugh once. I didn't even smile once. Granted, this is just a trailer, but its function is to make me want to see the film, and the effects are quite the opposite.

I didn't like it. The tone, the colours, everything - doesn't feel like a Ghostbusters movie. And most of all - it wasn't funny. At all. It had attempts at humour but all of them failed miserably. I didn't laugh once. I didn't even smile once. Granted, this is just a trailer, but its function is to make me want to see the film, and the effects are quite the opposite.

I have no idea how you can say that because it felt exactly like a Ghostbusters movie to me. The sfx of the ghosts seem to follow the same style as in the original, the theme song is there, the proton streams look the same...

As for the jokes, I actually think they were alright. I think the problem was that they were badly edited together. If the editing of the trailer was better, they'd have had more impact.

And here's some proof that it's the editing that's off, not the jokes:

Edited by LEGODalekbuster523

More proof that it was the editing that was the problem with the first trailer, not the jokes:

I quite liked the first trailer to begin with, but this trailer is so much better. The jokes were very good, Patty's reaction to falling through the crowd and Hemsworth's logo idea :grin:

I haven't seen the original Ghostbusters but this movie seems like a pretty good, standard comedy-action movie to me.

To me that was painfully unfunny, just like the first trailer.

"Thirty years ago.." So it's a sequel after all? Or what? There're so many angles this could've taken; maybe the successful Ghostbusters opened a franchise somewhere, maybe a new team's taken over the files and equipment of the old one, instead I bet we'll get a reboot with hamfisted references.

"No one's better at quantum physics than you!" This is cringeworthy bad writing, somebody needs to learn 'show, not tell.'

Their car is terrible, is it seriously using the music for a siren? sounds like an ice cream truck. Though, nice touch here: the original was an ambulance, this one's a hearse. Very appropriate.

Pushing Hemsworth in the international market trailer just because an all-woman cast would have weaker results is just sad. Totally the opposite direction of where this should be going.

"No one's better at quantum physics than you!" This is cringeworthy bad writing, somebody needs to learn 'show, not tell.'

Showing somebody is good at Quantum Physics would be pretty hard to do, considering most people don't know what that is.

Showing somebody is good at Quantum Physics would be pretty hard to do, considering most people don't know what that is.

It's that Scott Bakula television show where he swapped people's lives and had to be them for a little bit right? :tongue:

No not really, not if the writing is good. Did someone have to say Egon or doc Brown from BTTF were "such and such smart guys"? No. You knew they were smart because of how the characters presented themselves. Which is great writing and great acting.

I completely agree, show me don't tell me.

Edited by Captain Pirate Man