Sign in to follow this  
Kaanere

Ghostbusters 2016 Reboot discussion

I think it could be fun if there's either a sense of ambiguity over who Bill Murray, Dan Aykroyd and Ernie Hudson's characters are (IE: not named on-screen) or in a surprise twist they turn out to be Peter Venkman, Ray Stantz and Winston Zeddemore. Certainly have nothing against the female cast; think it could offer a fresh perspective on the Ghostbusters brand.

How do we know that the reference to Lego in that article is not just about the HQ and the Dimensions sets, but about a new line?

Edit: So, this was meant to go in the other topic :-\

Edited by 6ix

I think most reboots are stupid. My exception is Rise of The Planet of The Apes and Dawn of The Planet of The Apes. They were good.

My main problem with this is not with the all-female cast (which I do think is ridiculous) but the fact that it's a reboot and not a sequel. I would be more excited for it if it was a continuation from the originals, like Jurassic World was to Jurassic Park. I'm still holding out hope that it's secretly a sequel, with most of the old cast returning to cameo.

My main problem with this is not with the all-female cast (which I do think is ridiculous) but the fact that it's a reboot and not a sequel. I would be more excited for it if it was a continuation from the originals, like Jurassic World was to Jurassic Park. I'm still holding out hope that it's secretly a sequel, with most of the old cast returning to cameo.

I wouldn't put it past a comedy film to shout 'HA HA, WE FOOLED YOU. IT'S ACTUALLY A SEQUEL, NOT A REBOOT!' as one of its main jokes.

How is it having an all-female cast more ridiculous than the original having an all-male cast?

As I said in the Lego thread, if it ends up secretly being a sequel, my opinions on it will change. If it IS indeed a hard reboot, than I hope this film, cast, and director all burn in Hell. Cause it won't be a patch on the original, it will be LUCKY to be as good as GB2.

I've just never felt SO disrespected by a franchise that I have loved and supported for so many years.

As far as the whole female cast thing goes, I don't prefer it, but I'm not going to judge it based on that either. I would rather of had a mixed gender cast tbh. I'm also not big on the idea of Thor playing a receptionist. That just screams, be controversial for the sake of being controversial. If they would have hired some nerdy little Rock Moranis type guy to play the receptionist, then ok whatever. But honestly how many men that are built like Chris Helmsworth really have receptionist type jobs? It just doesn't seem realistic.

Which beyond the reboot issue, is what bothers me. Make the film realistic. It is a fact that not a lot of women are becoming scientists these days, so the odds that 3 of them would be the top in their field in NY is not realistic, but for the sake of argument I can give them that. But then to say ok, now they are going to hire some muscle bound hunk to be the receptionsit, just seems rediculous to me. Besides when the original Ghostbusters hired Jeanine, she was hardly eye candy. Especially in the first film. That's basically the equivilant of the boys hiring a playboy bunny to be there Secretary. That would have been considered sexist, how is this any different.

But again, I'll be the first to admit that I'll forgive all these things if it isn't a reboot. But if it is, these are things I'll always point to on why it sucks.

I bet it's an alternate universe and they might pull some multiverse paranormal stuff on us. I don't understand anyone's problem with an all female cast, why not? its different enough and they've got some pretty funny actresses.

and they've got some pretty funny actresses.

That's completely subjective. None of the cast are what I would consider humorous.

Amy Poehler should be the top pick for most female-led comedies, in my opinion.

EDIT: Then again, I didn't find the original Ghostbusters film humorous either.

Edited by Actor Builder

I bet it's an alternate universe and they might pull some multiverse paranormal stuff on us. I don't understand anyone's problem with an all female cast, why not? its different enough and they've got some pretty funny actresses.

If your age you posted on this forum is true, then that might be why you don't get it. I'll try to make it an apples and apples comparison. Some of us (myself included) grew up with not just the movies, but the cartoon, toys, Ecto cooler, you name it. Ghostbusters was a BOYS toy, just like Barbies were for girls. Now sure, many of us boys (myself included) never had a problem with girls coming along and playing Ghostbusters as well, but that was there desicion. That is why, I don't have a problem with the idea of girl Ghostbusters, that isn't my personal issue. But I do have a little bit of an issue (reboot is the biggest issue) with them taking a property that historically belonged to boys and saying "now it's the girls turn." Which if they would have made it a mixed gender cast, so be it. But they didn't. They straight up said "boys had your turn, now the girls get it." Which if this had been done in reverse (a historically female property changes to a male one) the feminists would be out in full force. How is this any different?

Being as your a 90s kid, not an 80s kid, I'm trying to think up a good comparison... Ninja turtles and power rangers. What if the 4 ninja turtles were rebooted and now they are going to be girls. Or what if Power Rangers came back, but instead of a mixed cast, they were all girls. You can't tell me that wouldn't bother you. Just from a factual perspective, sure girls played Ghostbusters, ninja turtles, and power rangers. But which sex REALLY kept those franchises alive? Males did. Just like how some boys play with barbies, but you know damn well it's girls that make that toy money. So ya, the big 180 switch does feel like a slap in the face.

But again, I can get in board for the whole girl Ghostbusters concept, if it's a sequel. A reboot? Nope.

Edited by Captain Pirate Man

I think it looks great.

I wasn't really knowledgeable or interested in the film prior to the set reveal--that that set really changed my entire opinion honestly. So I'm really excited to see where this goes.

I think that looks really good... just a good, fun and enjoyable film and the comedic timing of those actors should be spot on so I'm definitely looking forward to it.

It looks alright. I got a few chuckles out of it, and the trailer was smart enough not to spoil the entire plot of the movie and just give the audience the films basic premise. It looks fun enough. The various ghost capturing devices like the pistols and bear trap were ridiculous, but let's face it, one of the cartoon shows probably did it first.

I'm not a huge fan of Paul Fieg, but the movie seems smart enough to not try and make the movie's comedy stem from the fact it's starring women.

Edited by Kintobor

It looks really good, I commented on the video about how much I like it and I've already got 5 hate comments. :roflmao:

You can't have much of an opinion on the internet anymore it seems like. :hmpf_bad:

Eh, I didn't laugh at the trailer at all. Looks pretty bland. But I'll still see it. I'm cheering for this film to be good.

Looks like Shit. Looks like a bad SNL parody of Ghostbusters. This director has NO idea how to handle this franchise. Its not a male or female thing, you could put 4 dudes in those roles and it would look just as crappy. It feels like a Scary Movie parody, or has more in common with Scooby Doo than with Ghostbusters.

The original mixed horror with comedy, they balanced it out perfectly. This film is all comedy, and based on the trailor, not even a little funny.

Even if it does end up being a sequel, it's still destined for the bargin bin. GB2 looks like a masterpiece compared to this pile of dog $hit.

I had very little hope for this film, and they just confirmed my fears...

Compare what we saw today with the original 2. Tell me you HONESTLY feel this looks better or just as good as the originals.

Ghostbusters

Ghostbusters 2

Edited by Captain Pirate Man

I think it looks good and has potential. The special effects and cinematography look clean. And it doesn't feel like it's trying to be overly serious or dramatic, which would be a misplay here - you want this to be a fun, goofy popcorn flick.

I think the ghost combat scenes will be over the top, in a good way. The various ghost-catching weapons will add some variety to the staple "shoot, pull to trap, done" mechanic. There also seems to be an abundance of slime, which is good.

My only worry is that too much of Chris Hemsworth's character will further exacerbate the "male vs female" thing and I hope he doesn't have that large a role. Like, I get its funny that this team is female and has a male secretary (instead of the previous male team with a female secretary), but I hope they don't drag out the joke.

I think referencing the original in the beginning really points to this potentially being a sequel, which is the best move they could make.

@Hawklord,

But the original film WAS serious, they mixed in the jokes within the drama. That's what made it work. This looks like complete comedy, forced at that. Really an exorcist joke??? Come on, that's just bad writing.

Worse than GB2.