brunojj1

[MOC] BMW M4 DTM 1:10 racecar with PF

This one deserves a place in the HOF.
You better check HOF more often :wink:

So, I just couldn't resist trying to build this awesome MOC from the LXF file. Here's my progress so far while I wait for some parts. Eventually, I think it would be nice to make this in BMW blue and white colors.

I've only got one spare XL motor in it at the moment but after a short test drive, this thing is fast! It's also huge and feels almost like a real RC car.

Some lessons learned...

1. Exporting LXF -> LDRAW is useless.

2. Brunojj1 has done an awesome job with this MOC!

Did you tear apart your 8070 for that purpose or did you borrow only the wheels from it :grin: ? It would be really nice to see it in another colour. Team Schnitzer has a white car with the M stripes on it (Martin Tomczyk) and a black one (Bruno Spengler). So I´m curious if somebody will do it. The big 44350 panels at the front bonnet could be the biggest problem for some colour choice as white. I consider blue as a good option.

I don´t know how to transfer LXF into LDraw, but it already has been done by Thorsten who is working on good instructions. No pressure on him, we will be patient till they will be ready.

I already said that your creation is superB, but with the stickers from Jaap it's comes to life in now it's absolut stunning :wub: :wub:

Great model this is! :thumbup: Jaap did a great job on the stickers, I already told him so! :classic: You again did a great job on applying them!!! :thumbup::classic:

What I love about this model and its stickers, it already looks great without the stickers and the stickers do add...lovely...!

Edited by 2LegoOrNot2Lego...

If some day instructions for this model come out, I will surely build it - it looks outstandingly good and even if I am not the biggest fan of yellow cars, this one is a must have for me :)

EDIT: or maybe it will be possible to build it from LDD file, have to take a look at that. I am wondering - is it possible to export a list of all parts so I could buy them? Or maybe there is a list somewhere (like on rebrickable for example) and I just missed the link?

Edited by filuS

You can extract a partslist into MS Excel out of a LDD file. There must be some LDD tutorials on this website. The partslist will differ from the one in the instructions for some reasons mentionned already. But it could be helpful at least to get an overview about some main parts as panels and beams. I hope you understand that I won´t put any more work into this project. The instructions are in progress, but not on my responsibility.

I did not mean to pressure anyone into doing more than they feel like doing - I understand that you already put a lot of effort into making this model and LDD file and that instructions are being made by someone else.

As for the parts list - I am practically gonna buy every single piece for this car, I don't disassemble my built models - so every MOC I build leads into a day or two on rebrickable and combining shops to get everything as cheap/quick as possible. And even if I reused what I already have - I don't have anything in yellow :) That's why I asked for a partslist - it takes some time to gather everything and I can't wait to build this one and the best way is to get everything at once (especially when it comes to rare parts). However if you say that partslist from building instructions (if I am not mistaking Thorsten50 offered his services to make those) will differ from the one exported from LDD, I will rather wait for the final list. I am also thinking about omitting all the PF functions, hopefully no special adjustments will be needed and overall rigidity of the model will be maintained.

Anyway, as I already said (and many others before me), outstanding build, using "not-so-usual" yellow/black combination - I love it :)

Thank you very much Brunojj for this latest addition to the collection :classic: I can tell you must have worked on this for many tireless hours and your hard work has payed off in a wonderful design. I plan to get SBrick some time soon and this will be the first candidate for it. As for now, I find that two XL motors on two separate V1 receivers off 1 battery works fine.

800x600.jpg

Some minor differences: I found that "45590 Technic, Axle Connector Double Flexible (Rubber)" is pretty useful for connecting some of the flex axles at odd angles.

I personally like using yellow Technic Liftarm 1 x 7 Thin instead of black ones above the headlights.

If anyone else is building this from the LXF file:

1. Exporting to LDRAW is useless and will be missing or mis-orienting many important parts.

2. Decomposing the LXF file into sub-sections and building based on that was probably more fun then just building off instructions.

3. LDD -> Export BOM should give you an adequate parts list.

I think you should be able to also build it in solid black/red/white. Panels 62531 and 64681 do not seem to be available in blue, so maybe you could combine a blue hood and roof with white sides. It would be cool to see renders in some different color combinations.

Thanks to https://www.bricklin...e.asp?p=Aurimax for the chrome wheels.

Edited by motomatt

Thank you very much Brunojj for this latest addition to the collection :classic: I can tell you must have worked on this for many tireless hours and your hard work has payed off in a wonderful design. I plan to get SBrick some time soon and this will be the first candidate for it. As for now, I find that two XL motors on two separate V1 receivers off 1 battery works fine.

Some minor differences: I found that "45590 Technic, Axle Connector Double Flexible (Rubber)" is pretty useful for connecting some of the flex axles at odd angles.

I personally like using yellow Technic Liftarm 1 x 7 Thin instead of black ones above the headlights.

If anyone else is building this from the LXF file:

1. Exporting to LDRAW is useless and will be missing or mis-orienting many important parts.

2. Decomposing the LXF file into sub-sections and building based on that was probably more fun then just building off instructions.

3. LDD -> Export BOM should give you an adequate parts list.

I think you should be able to also build it in solid black/red/white. Panels 62531 and 64681 do not seem to be available in blue, so maybe you could combine a blue hood and roof with white sides. It would be cool to see renders in some different color combinations.

Thanks to https://www.bricklin...e.asp?p=Aurimax for the chrome wheels.

Many thanks for sharing, I like your version very much and I´m happy you enjoy the model! So I´m really looking forward to see a different variation of the car from time to time here!

Concerning SBrick, I also hope to make mine run reliably and very soon and then find out a new optimum for the drivetrain.

Thanks to motomatt for the research! You can substitute blue 64681 by 11954, but the 62531 panels are an issue which is not easy to bypass. After finishing my current between project, I want to build a full black version. And finally I should consider to buy the chromed wheels too!

Partslist: I got a file from Thorsten which is still provisional and incomplete available at my brickshelf.

Edited by brunojj1

I exported partslist from LDD, to make some price estimation how much will this model cost me (my secret wish is to keep it under 600 euros but I am starting to doubt that), and I started with panels. And that's where I stopped - there was 47712 fairing panel, which does not even exist in yellow. But after some investigation I found out that it should be yellow 32528 instead. Most of those smaller parts and liftarms should not be a big of a deal, even if few counts would be off here and there.

As for chrome parts - I am not a big fan of silver chrome wheels on light models (white, yellow, light gray), and this yellow beauty screams for black wheels. Aurimax makes 56x34mm wheels in black chrome but I don't think it will be a significant step over regular black ones. Maybe titanium chrome wheels from Bubul (different guy who makes chrome lego parts) would do the trick. As for the black model - I suggest you take a look at orange/red chrome wheels from Bubul, especially those red ones look gorgeous with black cars.

EDIT: brunojj1 - your brickshelf gallery for this car is not public anymore

Edited by filuS

Instructions and partslist are online at rebrickable and here: http://pixelts.de.tl/BMW-M4-DTM.htm

PLEASE READ THIS before downloading and asking questions or raising complaints: the release was done WITHOUT my permission! I wanted to make some changes first and correct some obvious errors, but then it somehow got out of control. Why should I care...

I just went through the instructions and nothing struck me as "obviously wrong" - but then again, I would have to be building it to figure some mistakes out. Only thing that I noticed is that 4x 19L yellow soft axles are missing from rebrickable parts inventory.

Btw - in comments on rebrickable page, Thorsten claims that he is working on new instructions, so maybe he is now correcting those errors you mentioned earlier.

Edited by filuS

This is already an epic scale model, but with the stickers it really makes it pop!!!.

Absolutely amazing to look at.

Instructions have been corrected in shortest time and now everything should be fine. A link for the stickers has been added too.

Special thanks to Thorsten :thumbup: !

I wish everybody much fun with it and a good start into the New Year!

While the file may have been fixed, the link is now broken! If you're reading this Thorsten, you need to update your Bricksafe links on your website and Rebrickable.

Meanwhile, here's the fixed link for the fixed instructions.

Edited by Jay Psi

Today I got these lovely renders from blakbird, many thanks to him. Now this project is accomplished. Some Lego heads turned yellowish of jealousy and some Lego hearts were made happy including mine. It was a nice experience to share it even if getting no money for the work and especially to get such unexpected support for the post processing, thanks to all!

blakbird_render_resized_01.jpg

blakbird_render_resized_02.jpg

blakbird_render_resized_03.jpg

Hello Friends

After a little playing around with the DTM building instructions, a other BMW has arisen.

The BMW M4 DTM - Shell #18

BMW%20M4%20DTM-Shell4.png

I hope you like it

Edited by Thorsten50

Today I got these lovely renders from blakbird, many thanks to him. Now this project is accomplished. Some Lego heads turned yellowish of jealousy and some Lego hearts were made happy including mine. It was a nice experience to share it even if getting no money for the work and especially to get such unexpected support for the post processing, thanks to all!

Thanks brunojj1, this is a fantastic creation, I have almost completed building this and I must say it has been an extremely enjoyable project - it shall sit proudly beside the Ferrari Spyder of yours that I built last year.

OMR

Edited by OneMoreRobot

I was one on the yellow guys, but I still think this is the best looking Lego car along with Hartley's Huayra I've see so far (to be honest, I wasn't a fan of your previous stacked beam body designs).

@brunojj: should be not to hard to build this marvel with just 2 XL, 2 IR receivers (instead of 3) and 1 accu (for all motors and lights) for the prize of some slower speed - right?

what do you think? or should i spend an extra accu for the servo plus the light?

BTW best shapped real car i know, incredible - especially because the BMW kidney is really hard to replicate with current lego parts...kudos! :thumbup::wub:

Edited by Kumbbl