mnpumar

[MOC][WIP] Model Team 5571 With Trailer + Instructions

Recommended Posts

Hi Mnpumar!!

I have the 5571 set and I always told myself that if ever a trailer was made for it, I would want to get it. This seems like a great way for me to get back into the lego hobby I used to enjoy as a kid. I bought this set years ago when it first came out and is my biggest set in my collection of sets. Are the special parts for the trailer hard to get? If I went to a lego store would I assume I would be able to get most of the pieces, but would I be able to order the parts I need through the lego store or would it be best to just order them online?

And where can I buy the 68.8 tires? Seems like they will be hard to find.

Edited by juggleryoder

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow! Very cool!! I thought I was the first person to ever build this trailer because the person I got the instructions from said he never built it.

I had to make a lot of modifications to get the back end of the trailer to fit together properly, especially on and around the doors. Also the original design could not support the weight at the wheels and they kept popping off on me before I fixed it! I'm curious if you ever updated the instructions to include those fixes? I'm also curious how you fixed them. The pneumatics seem okay but I guess there is always room for improvement :)

Hello,

I'm selling instruction for alternate models of Model team on my bricklink shop http://www.bricklink...p?p=Yannick1988

I'm the person who made the instruction of the trailer and I sent the instruction to mnpumar as bonus.

I'm happy to see it's possible to build it.

I made it only on computer (10 years ago) and never built it. It was based on pictures of "Salocin" and a modification of the truck from "Darats".

I share the mpd file (to use with Ldraw + Lpub). If someone wants to modify it ;)

If I can get a set with all parts needed I will maybe build it (finally...) 5571 was the best lego kit ever made :D

Link : http://www.filedropper.com/camionetremorque

++

Edited by Yannick1988

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, a thread necro, but the OP requested followup from others making this build and hopefully i've got something to contribute.

 

DSC6579_00001.jpg
DSC6582_00002.jpg
DSC6583_00003.jpg
DSC6585_00004.jpg
DSC6587_00005.jpg
DSC6589_00006.jpg
DSC6594_00001.jpg
DSC6596_00002.jpg
DSC6597_00003.jpg
DSC6601_00004.jpg
DSC6604_00005.jpg

I wanted more of a realistic frame, so this is based on the working trucks around here, where you have the frame of the trailer, plus some toolboxes, spare wheel racks and a supplementary diesel tank. I also prefer dual wheels and triple axles as we typically run here due to a lot of these being used on poor roads (including dirt).

 

Of course, it's only after posting these that I see i've left the headlights off the prime mover :look:

Also, unlike the original plans, this one is quite structural - there are 1x16's crossing the floor of the trailer at loadpoints - the king pin, the supports and two sets over the axle assembly. Consequently you can really pack this one with sand (well, tin cans of food at least) if you want to without causing it to flex too much. Very happy with the colour scheme too - it sits next to Grazi's tow truck in it's original black, so I wanted something a little different.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, bonox said:

DSC6579_00001.jpg

WOW!! That is some incredible work! I always wanted to build it in white too but I never had the time. Thank you so much for sharing. Do you have a part list or instructions? I will definitely be building that when I have the time.

Edited by Blakbird
: Removed many quoted images.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi mnpumar

I've just been fiddling so no parts or instructions at present. I'll also probably keep fiddling with it for a while and it'll be busy in the next month going for public display. If there are bits you want photos of i'm happy to oblige.

I originally just swapped all the black bits for white and red for blue. The red for blue works perfectly, subject to availability of parts for the truck. The white for black though needs more thought - the underbelly, mudguards and suspension of the trailer, plus the belly and radiator plus insides of the truck are much better off in my opinion remaining black.

I also tried trans-clear bricks behind the radiator and I wanted you to get a peek at the stuff under the bonnet, but i wasn't pleased with the outcome. I may revisit this at some point though. And I really should put those headlight dishes on as well :)

The axle assembly of the trailer use to have the same rocking/pendular suspension as the original design in this post, with some panhard rods to control the twisting and springs to control the fore-aft rocking, but it was complicated and didn't steer very well on a hard surface. I found a basic rigid box unit works very well which is what you see here. I also got some performance benefit out of putting the middle axle centreline one plate lower than the other two. It looked pretty much the same, but all the load went on the centre axle only and the other two sagged a bit to look like they were on the ground. Well mostly. It steered very nicely, but i ended up not liking the look and i mostly build static models.

The final thing is that I built it where I could from light gray parts as that's what the original 5571 uses and i wanted to keep it all in line, but the wheels will probably always be an issue in that regard. Maybe i'll leave a set of rims in the sun for a year and see if I can get them to darken like that last 6x16 plate under the rear deck.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/17/2017 at 5:29 AM, bonox said:

Yes, a thread necro, but the OP requested followup from others making this build and hopefully i've got something to contribute.

 

DSC6579_00001.jpg
DSC6582_00002.jpg
DSC6583_00003.jpg
DSC6585_00004.jpg
DSC6587_00005.jpg
DSC6589_00006.jpg
DSC6594_00001.jpg
DSC6596_00002.jpg
DSC6597_00003.jpg
DSC6601_00004.jpg
DSC6604_00005.jpg

I wanted more of a realistic frame, so this is based on the working trucks around here, where you have the frame of the trailer, plus some toolboxes, spare wheel racks and a supplementary diesel tank. I also prefer dual wheels and triple axles as we typically run here due to a lot of these being used on poor roads (including dirt).

 

Of course, it's only after posting these that I see i've left the headlights off the prime mover :look:

Also, unlike the original plans, this one is quite structural - there are 1x16's crossing the floor of the trailer at loadpoints - the king pin, the supports and two sets over the axle assembly. Consequently you can really pack this one with sand (well, tin cans of food at least) if you want to without causing it to flex too much. Very happy with the colour scheme too - it sits next to Grazi's tow truck in it's original black, so I wanted something a little different.

I realize this is an old thread, but I really would love some more details on this trailer.... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

hi bb88

what in particular would you like to see? Happy to help, but i'm not sure there's much more that isn't in these photos

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, bonox said:

hi bb88

what in particular would you like to see? Happy to help, but i'm not sure there's much more that isn't in these photos

I would love some more info on the changes you made to the axles and frame. Do you by chance have a parts list or instructions?

 

I just finished my Cabover 5571

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

neither i'm sorry, but i'll dig it out of storage and take the wheels off to show a bit more for you

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, bonox said:

neither i'm sorry, but i'll dig it out of storage and take the wheels off to show a bit more for you

That would be great. Thank you

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

IMG-20191205-073120.jpg IMG-20191205-073135.jpg IMG-20191205-073150.jpg IMG-20191205-073243.jpg IMG-20191205-073256.jpg IMG-20191205-073447.jpg IMG-20191205-073513.jpg IMG-20191205-073637.jpg

 

Hope this is of some use. As far as a parts list, I would start with 200 headlight bricks, 50 6x16 plates and 300 1x8 bricks or variations thereof.

The leading 1x16 bricks across the frame inside the box provide lateral support over the king pin.

The trailing lateral structure is two stacks of four 2x16 plates between the axles. Longitudinal structure is the traditional technic technic bricks separated by two plates and periodic pinned support between the rails.

 

Is your cabover a special design of yours or a 5563 body on the 5571 chassis?

Edited by bonox

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, bonox said:

IMG-20191205-073120.jpg IMG-20191205-073135.jpg IMG-20191205-073150.jpg IMG-20191205-073243.jpg IMG-20191205-073256.jpg IMG-20191205-073447.jpg IMG-20191205-073513.jpg IMG-20191205-073637.jpg

 

Hope this is of some use. As far as a parts list, I would start with 200 headlight bricks, 50 6x16 plates and 300 1x8 bricks or variations thereof.

The leading 1x16 bricks across the frame inside the box provide lateral support over the king pin.

The trailing lateral structure is two stacks of four 2x16 plates between the axles. Longitudinal structure is the traditional technic technic bricks separated by two plates and periodic pinned support between the rails.

 

Is your cabover a special design of yours or a 5563 body on the 5571 chassis?

Thank you for the extra photos!  They should help me come up with a trailer.

 

I bought instructions from Yannick1988. 

http://www.bricklink...p?p=Yannick1988

My dad have a few cabovers over the years. They have a special place in my heart. 

I would upload a picture, but I haven't figured out how to make the image size smaller. 

Edited by BigBrick88

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.