mnpumar

[MOC][WIP] Model Team 5571 With Trailer + Instructions

yes the 62.4 tires are the cheapest way..and they will look good anyway! We have to understand TLG won't make anymore the old 68.8 unfortunately :cry_sad: :cry_sad: :cry_sad:

Progress was a bit slow last night because when I got to the rear doors the pieces were not fitting together correctly according to the instructions. It took me some time to figure out how to fix the issues, and fortunately I had enough spare pieces laying around in order to complete the steps.

In order to attach the hinges on the rear doors to the rest of the trailer, I had to make the following change:

(each yellow dot represents a 1x1x1 brick and each white dot represents a 1x1 plate)

f1AznhE.png

Note that both sides are the same since it's symmertrical:

uWP6wEP.jpga

In order to attach the rails to the rear doors, I had to add a 1x1 plate underneat the 1x1 clips. I also put a 1x1 round plate piece between the upper and lower rails to fill in the gap, which isn't in this picture, but you will see it in later pictures:

pXLqEWB.jpg

Refrigeration unit built:

GGVDgT3.jpg

Top of the trailer. The brick sticking up is the button to use the pneumatics to raise/lower the trailer stands. There is also a swtich on one side to control the up/down movement.

HZiWrHj.jpg

XPwAFhO.jpg

And for those who have been asking, here are the instructions: :classic:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3juzujlb27fqpgw/remorque_5571.rar?dl=0

Edited by mnpumar

I received the other 5571 I won at auction. It is a lot better than I expected and it even has the original unused sticker set! Quite a deal since I paid less than $150 for it.

Now that I have the tires for the trailer I will post another update soon. Please do comment if you are interested in this build or have questions about the instructions. Thanks :)

Thanks for the instructions. I've unpacked the file and created a PDF file.

Greetings

Alex

Thank you :) Can you post a link?

Own a 5571 since 1997. My looks pretty tired btw :(

Waiting with interest for the photos of the trailer...

Edited by Aleh

Own a 5571 since 1997. My looks pretty tired btw :(

Waiting with interest for the photos of the trailer...

I am done building but I haven't had a chance to take photos yet. I will try to upload some tonight or tomorrow

Pictures are finally here! Sorry for the wait.

dgLWg3V.jpg

I had to do some extensive modifications to the rear wheels on the trailer because the original design couldn't support the massive weight of this thing and they kept popping off!

Y12T3ff.jpg

Here are some pictures I got of the whole thing. It was actually pretty difficult to get good photos because this thing is MASSIVE!

tZCnq3p.jpg

mY6qVTQ.jpg

MJQZgqG.jpg

NntOUEn.jpg

nAHuJoU.jpg

N0TDtyl.jpg

lJLp21V.jpg

QxQpjwI.jpg

Please share your feedback. I would love to see others attempt this build. I can answer any questions you might have. Thanks for looking!

One thing I don't get, is the MOD on the truck. It should not be necessary to make changes to it.

Unless it's to have dual wheel configuration.

The original design of the 5571 has the trailer hitch at an angle, and it's too close to the back of the truck. It was designed purely for ascetic purposes and never intended to be functional. Therefore, it has to be taken off and rebuilt for the trailer to be attachable.

One more update: I submitted the build MOC to rebrickable, once it's up I'll share a link to the parts list :classic:

This is great. Normally I do not like RC, especially in official sets, but this could be an exception if you decided to make it RC.

This is great. Normally I do not like RC, especially in official sets, but this could be an exception if you decided to make it RC.

Making this RC would be cool but I don't think it could be done without ruining the high amount of details inside the cab

Making this RC would be cool but I don't think it could be done without ruining the high amount of details inside the cab

I do understand you concern for sure, but do not agree fully with it! For me this is my daily thing...to that might be easy to say for me...but I am sure you'll manage... :thumbup: Would be so great if someone would have this one in RC/PF though... :wub: Even if this 5571 set is not my favorite...sorry guys... :wink:

Edited by 2LegoOrNot2Lego...

I do understand you concern for sure, but do not agree fully with it! For me this is my daily thing...to that might be easy to say for me...but I am sure you'll manage... :thumbup: Would be so great if someone would have this one in RC/PF though... :wub: Even if this 5571 set is not my favorite...sorry guys... :wink:

Well I am willing to give it a try if someone can create the instructions for me to follow :)

Hmm, I encourage you to try yourself :) You may find it very entertining ant the succes tastes even better when you figure out your own working solution.

EDIT: On the other hand, such big model is not much fun to drive unless you incorporate some super powerful propulstion, which in this case would be at least 2 XL motors or even better RC bugy motors. Otherwise you end up with snail that barely moves. So maybe in this case it's really worth consideration whether it's reasonable effort to motorize it.

Edited by krisandkris12

Hello to all, I'm surprised and glad to see that model that I created in 2005 is still "active" 10 years after :blush:

Here is the original model with some pictures released for selling it on eBay, before the person who bought it released some modifications and restored the Black Cat to it original state.

http://www.brickshel...ry.cgi?f=192169

And after modifications :

http://www.techlug.f...2149.html#p2149

Now it seems that original and complete Black Cat travels a lot because I sometimes I see it in some French LEGO conventions, and I can say that I'm really amazed to see that some people made instructions, bought pieces like I did on Bricklink, and finally build it !

To be honnest, that was something I hoped when I decided to sell it in 2006 because I joined the original 3D CAD I've made at that time as a bonus, but I never thought I would ever see it on the web ten years after.

Now I think that some better solutions could be found for some details, especially for the pneumatic system that wasn't really perfect to support the weight of the whole trailer (I can remember that the buyer reinforced it after he received the set), and maybe the fifth wheel coupling.

Great effort from you mnpumar :wink:

Edited by salociN

Hello to all, I'm surprised and glad to see that model that I created in 2005 is still "active" 10 years after :blush:

Here is the original model with some pictures released for selling it on eBay, before the person who bought it released some modifications and restored the Black Cat to it original state.

http://www.brickshel...ry.cgi?f=192169

And after modifications :

http://www.techlug.f...2149.html#p2149

Now it seems that original and complete Black Cat travels a lot because I sometimes I see it in some French LEGO conventions, and I can say that I'm really amazed to see that some people made instructions, bought pieces like I did on Bricklink, and finally build it !

To be honnest, that was something I hoped when I decided to sell it in 2006 because I joined the original 3D CAD I've made at that time as a bonus, but I never thought I would ever see it on the web ten years after.

Now I think that some better solutions could be found for some details, especially for the pneumatic system that wasn't really perfect to support the weight of the whole trailer (I can remember that the buyer reinforced it after he received the set), and maybe the fifth wheel coupling.

Great effort from you mnpumar :wink:

Wow! Very cool!! I thought I was the first person to ever build this trailer because the person I got the instructions from said he never built it.

I had to make a lot of modifications to get the back end of the trailer to fit together properly, especially on and around the doors. Also the original design could not support the weight at the wheels and they kept popping off on me before I fixed it! I'm curious if you ever updated the instructions to include those fixes? I'm also curious how you fixed them. The pneumatics seem okay but I guess there is always room for improvement :)

You did a good and clean job, for sure your tutorial will be useful for actual or future 5571 owners. They're even warned that thoses damn 18 patern tiles are really hard to find :tongue:

In 2005, there was no LEGO official software, parts files were in .dat (and some were really difficult to find), and I didn't know at that time if making instructions was possible. So the only thing I could transmit was the first .mpd file (I still have it).

For weight problems, I think I was more concentrated on looking for solutions for other conception problems, the (mono) pneumatic system for example was a great occupation. The other problem with that kind of structure is that when you conceive a 3D model before buying anything, you know it will be virtualy huge but didn't how exactly, so I made a (maybe too much) basic thing for the wheels, and crossed my fingers. On my first pictures you can see that the 2 back end wheels suffers a little. The fact I wanted the trailer to be slighlty (and intentionally) slopped doesn't helped for sure. Globaly, it was important for me to refer to something simple and classical like that.

Maybe a 16 axle tense with many technic bricks (wholes) could be a improvement ?

For the rest (doors problem), as the first model was modified by someone else, I can't assume what happened after. The only thing I remember is that the solution I found was the best at that time and worked great. Your solution seems to look like mine.

If I can notice two missing things : the red tiles to complete the red roof line, and the black cat on the front (which is the perfect link between the truck and his trailer :wink: )