1980-Something-Space-Guy

The future of Back to the Future

3 hours ago, Brickdad said:

Not been on here for a long time! Son fell out of love with Lego and I couldn't afford to buy any of the ones I was interested so moved on (making music has consumed my free time!). However, after a trip to the shops I spotted this in the window and knew I HAD to have it. However, none in store and none online (apart from the usual eBay sellers). Do any of you knowledgeable eurobrickers know the likelihood of this being made again? I have activated the email reminder from Lego store and noted that it stated 'temporarily' out of stock but I want this sooooooo bad!

It'll definitely be back in stock, as it just came out in April.  If I had to guess, this set will have a shelf life of at least a year and half or two years, because of the popularity of it.  

On 4/21/2022 at 8:38 PM, RichardGoring said:

In terms of additional sets, is there anything at all they could do that would be more popular and generate more revenue than the current time machine? I'd love some minifigure scale sets, but at least one would have to include the time machine, which might dent sales of the big one (could just add to it though). And then you've got the play scale market of kids and some adults, which isn't as big of an overlap with BTTF as the 18+ model. If they do it, it would probably be sensible for them to wait a couple of years. Hope I'm wrong though.

There's one more Speed Champions set coming out this summer that doesn't have any info, other than it's (apparently) based on a movie and costs $30.  There's the Fast and Furious Dodge Charger and James Bond Aston Martin coming out that will, I think, be $20 each, and then an unknown $30 set that some people have speculated could be the BTTF DeLorean.  It seems plausible, just because I don't really know what other iconic movie/TV vehicles it could be, and the $10 price difference from the other two vehicles could be explained by extra parts to swap between movie versions and it probably having two minifigures instead of one.  The Ecto-1 is the only other vehicle that would probably be considerably larger and therefore need to be $10 more than the others.

4 hours ago, Brickdad said:

Not been on here for a long time! Son fell out of love with Lego and I couldn't afford to buy any of the ones I was interested so moved on (making music has consumed my free time!). However, after a trip to the shops I spotted this in the window and knew I HAD to have it. However, none in store and none online (apart from the usual eBay sellers). Do any of you knowledgeable eurobrickers know the likelihood of this being made again? I have activated the email reminder from Lego store and noted that it stated 'temporarily' out of stock but I want this sooooooo bad!

It's only very recently been released, so it will be around for at least a year. Local LEGO stores appear to be getting these in fairly regularly, but in small numbers, and around me they say that they usually sell out that day, so call ahead if you need it now, or just wait for it to come back in stock online. Have fun with it!

1 hour ago, Kit Figsto said:

It'll definitely be back in stock, as it just came out in April.  If I had to guess, this set will have a shelf life of at least a year and half or two years, because of the popularity of it.  

There's one more Speed Champions set coming out this summer that doesn't have any info, other than it's (apparently) based on a movie and costs $30.  There's the Fast and Furious Dodge Charger and James Bond Aston Martin coming out that will, I think, be $20 each, and then an unknown $30 set that some people have speculated could be the BTTF DeLorean.  It seems plausible, just because I don't really know what other iconic movie/TV vehicles it could be, and the $10 price difference from the other two vehicles could be explained by extra parts to swap between movie versions and it probably having two minifigures instead of one.  The Ecto-1 is the only other vehicle that would probably be considerably larger and therefore need to be $10 more than the others.

Question at the end of one page, didn't see your reply on the next. Oh well.

It would be cool to get as a speed champions set, but that was sort of my point. I don't know whether they would do another set that wasn't the time machine. It's by far and away the most iconic thing in the movie, especially for something so old that LEGO will want to shift lots of sets of. They may view other things as a bit niche, but I'd be delighted if they expanded it further with location sets.

1 hour ago, RichardGoring said:

It would be cool to get as a speed champions set, but that was sort of my point. I don't know whether they would do another set that wasn't the time machine. It's by far and away the most iconic thing in the movie, especially for something so old that LEGO will want to shift lots of sets of. They may view other things as a bit niche, but I'd be delighted if they expanded it further with location sets.

Oh, yes, I agree then.  Unfortunately, I just don't know what else is a viable set.  The train and/or time train would be really cool, but I'm not sure if they'd really put them out unless it were one of the diorama/quote sets.  Similarly, I've been thinking for a while that a $140-150 Hill Valley town square set would be amazing, with extra pieces to change the diner and clocktower from their different versions in 1955/1985/2015 (unfortunately I think the 1885 versions are too different), but again, I'm not sure if they'd actually do that as a set.  I think the dioramas are definitely the most likely scenario for any non-DeLorean BTTF set.

4 hours ago, Kit Figsto said:

Oh, yes, I agree then.  Unfortunately, I just don't know what else is a viable set.  The train and/or time train would be really cool, but I'm not sure if they'd really put them out unless it were one of the diorama/quote sets.  Similarly, I've been thinking for a while that a $140-150 Hill Valley town square set would be amazing, with extra pieces to change the diner and clocktower from their different versions in 1955/1985/2015 (unfortunately I think the 1885 versions are too different), but again, I'm not sure if they'd actually do that as a set.  I think the dioramas are definitely the most likely scenario for any non-DeLorean BTTF set.

I have been building BTTF themed MOCs for some time now (I like BTTF and I like Lego, what else could I do), so I was really happy to see the new Creator DeLorean set come out (ordered it on the first nanosecond after release). While it's a popular movie/theme with a strong fan base, it's nowhere near something like Star Wars obviously. But hopefully by now Lego has seen how successful the DeLorean has been, as it's been sold out for most of the time after release. So I believe there are many customers who would be willing to buy more BTTF themed sets (other than just me). I also used to think there might not be so much general interest in anything else other than the DeLorean, but I was thinking more in terms of other cars and set pieces. With the popularity of the new diorama sets like the Jurassic Park T.rex Breakout, I also think a similar BTTF diorama set would do well. I'd be surprised if they didn't try it out at least once, if they do, I will be the first one to get it.

18 hours ago, Kit Figsto said:

17 hours ago, RichardGoring said:

It's only very recently been released, so it will be around for at least a year. Local LEGO stores appear to be getting these in fairly regularly, but in small numbers, and around me they say that they usually sell out that day, so call ahead if you need it now, or just wait for it to come back in stock online. Have fun with it!

Thanks for the responses and glad to hear I should have no problem getting this set at some point. Really blew me away when I saw it. Also saw the Ecto 1 that day, and although that is also on my wishlist, the Delorean is first for me. 

I thought I'd post up the video I made on modifications for this set.  I've also published supporting free mod instructions on Rebrickable.

Issues fixed:

• Swapped out all of the bright off-colour scheme parts for parts that match the colour scheme of the model/Time Machine.
  • Applied TOPACES superb door fix for the Gull-wing door closing issue.
  • Made a series of cosmetic improvements to address some issues and missing details on the model.

Enjoy!

On 5/7/2022 at 11:22 AM, Kit Figsto said:

I hadn't heard of this. This would be great. I do wonder if Lego left out 1885 Marty and Doc out of this set on purpose, since that leaves out the possibility of including them in a minifig-scale DeLorean...

On 5/15/2022 at 5:24 AM, lenzie said:

I thought I'd post up the video I made on modifications for this set.  I've also published supporting free mod instructions on Rebrickable.

Issues fixed:

• Swapped out all of the bright off-colour scheme parts for parts that match the colour scheme of the model/Time Machine.
  • Applied TOPACES superb door fix for the Gull-wing door closing issue.
  • Made a series of cosmetic improvements to address some issues and missing details on the model.

Enjoy!

Thanks for sharing these mods!

Great Scott!

Lego apparently has made a US trademark / patent application for "Brick to the Future" as a logo in the BttF font. News article here at Jay's Brick Blog.

I wonder why they did that?

Edited by Murdoch17

Hopefully that means we're getting more minifigure scaled sets. I'd just like a small wave with some of the notable stuff, kinda like what they're doing with Indiana Jones getting four sets based on the classic movies next year. 

I hope that we can get a few sets based on some of the more iconic scenes and vehicles from the film.

I would love to see the Twin Pines Mall parking lot time travel experiment translated into a set, as well as the scene where lightning strikes the courthouse's clocktower, returning Marty and the Delorean to 1985 from 1955.

I would also like to see a set based on the cafe and the scene where Biff crashes into a manure truck after chasing Marty through Downtown Hill Valley in 1955, as well as the 2015 hoverboard chase scene that ends with Griff and his hoverboard gang crashing through the entrance of the Courthouse Mall translated into a LEGO set.

On 7/12/2022 at 2:48 PM, Murdoch17 said:

Great Scott!

Lego apparently has made a US trademark / patent application for "Brick to the Future" as a logo in the BttF font. News article here at Jay's Brick Blog.

I wonder why they did that?

Interesting development. I also really feel suspicious that 1885 Marty and Doc were left conspicuously out of the time machine set. However, I'd rather get surprised than disappointed, so I won't count on any new sets coming out.

On 5/7/2022 at 11:22 AM, Kit Figsto said:

There's one more Speed Champions set coming out this summer that doesn't have any info, other than it's (apparently) based on a movie and costs $30.  

Source? I don't see anything on brickset about another SC set.

50 minutes ago, Time77 said:

Source? I don't see anything on brickset about another SC set.

https://www.brickfanatics.com/every-lego-set-rumoured-2022-march-update/amp/

This came out in March from a credible source.  However, given that these sets come out in a week, I assume it's either cancelled or being released another way (probably the former, though).

5 hours ago, Kit Figsto said:

https://www.brickfanatics.com/every-lego-set-rumoured-2022-march-update/amp/

This came out in March from a credible source.  However, given that these sets come out in a week, I assume it's either cancelled or being released another way (probably the former, though).

Big oof if its been cancelled; I'd assume that its a GWP polybag for one of the two sets already revealed.. Hope they suddenly release info on a delorean in the next week, though. They have been slowly trickling out reveals over the past couple weeks (such at the Aug 1st atari), so cross your fingers.

Edited by Time77

Now we know the DeLorean video did indeed show the 10305 Lion's Castle , that Brick to the Future appearing at the end, and now, becoming a trademark, could be an interesting mix of BTTF and older themes, as a followup to the 90th anniversary sets.

9 hours ago, TeriXeri said:

Now we know the DeLorean video did indeed show the 10305 Lion's Castle , that Brick to the Future appearing at the end, and now, becoming a trademark, could be an interesting mix of BTTF and older themes, as a followup to the 90th anniversary sets.

It sounds like Time Cruisers-ish to me. I’m interested in learning about Brick to the Future.