1980-Something-Space-Guy

The future of Back to the Future

Honestly thought this set had been cancelled. Happy to see that isn't the case. is is just me though, or are some of the product images misleading. To me they make the sides of the car look all chromed up, when you can see from the render that isn't the case.

Admittedly these are nitpicks, but for those of you minifigure geeks out there, I think Doc and Marty could have used dual molded legs. Especially for Marty, because his Nike shoes have a little bit of an odd gap where Lego can't print on the legs. However, the printing is overall excellent and detailed, and these are still superb figures.

7 minutes ago, CodFather1 said:

Honestly thought this set had been cancelled. Happy to see that isn't the case. is is just me though, or are some of the product images misleading. To me they make the sides of the car look all chromed up, when you can see from the render that isn't the case.

Not sure what you mean. Could it be the reflectivity of some of the surfaces or the irregular ("bumpy") surfaces of the slope pieces?

This actually makes me realize that in spite of the original car having a die cast finish, I don't necessarily miss it here. In fact, using the metallic pieces for the special "lines" that go around the car (not sure what to call them) highlights them and makes them look well.

Great Scott! This looks fantastic! Definitely glad that this rumor turned out to be true. Love the 2015 Doc and Marty as well, I was expecting no minifigs like the Ecto-1 but this is a wonderful surprise. Now to decide which configuration to display it in, or just buy three sets...

17 minutes ago, blondasek said:

BrickDepot already did a review:

Thanks for linking to the review! I hadn't noticed those new weird slope pieces, but they are what allow the hood to have that slight slope. The fact that they made a new piece just to get that right speaks volumes to how much they cared about getting this model right.

This looks awesome! I love the look of it and the metallic highlights! The ability to switch between all three movie version is awesome, and so are all the functions the car has. Doc and Marty look great as well, I wonder if we will eventually get versions of them from the third movie…

1 hour ago, blondasek said:

@kbalage is not happy for sure. Nevertheless, waiting for your review! :D

There's not much I can do about them, apparently TLG is not interested in closing this loophole for retailers. If anyone wants to do super early reviews without restrictions, the best way is to open a LEGO shop. 

My review is in the works, coming early next week. But it'll surely have details that this video didn't have ;) 

First thought was that one is enough.  Pics and the brick depot review tell me I will need a second copy. Beautifully done.

I think this is close to a perfect set aside from the shoe printing on the Marty minifigure. I wonder if the original intention was for him to have dual molded legs, but for whatever reason they decided to go with normal ones midway through the process and forgot to add the additional white printing to the front? That’s the only explanation I can think of, because it looks pretty incomplete.

But honestly this is just nitpicking in what’s essentially a bonus. Still an amazing set.

Honestly I will not buy this set. I think I'd better keep the Moc built wth Rebrickable instructions...

3 hours ago, BrickHat said:

There is also a neat little animation here, which I am unable to link directly. Make sure you check it out!

https://www.lego.com/en-us/lego-delorean-is-back

I love this little short, though the animated portions are a bit misleading in leading people to believe the set is to scale with the minifigures...

Definitely a purchase for me!

36 minutes ago, Portal Out said:

I think this is close to a perfect set aside from the shoe printing on the Marty minifigure. I wonder if the original intention was for him to have dual molded legs, but for whatever reason they decided to go with normal ones midway through the process and forgot to add the additional white printing to the front? That’s the only explanation I can think of, because it looks pretty incomplete.

But honestly this is just nitpicking in what’s essentially a bonus. Still an amazing set.

I don't think they forgot. Rather, it looks like they can't print that close to the toes of the legs.

9 minutes ago, The_Chosen_1 said:

I love this little short, though the animated portions are a bit misleading in leading people to believe the set is to scale with the minifigures...

Definitely a purchase for me!

Yeah, I was confused at how they did that. In some scenes, the figures are sized up to match the car, but in one, Marty picks a piece and puts it on the car, with no noticeable size difference. They used some weird tricks, it would seem!

Wow, this set is gorgeous. I generally don't collect vehicles that aren't scaled to minifigs and yet this one is still really tempting. It's a no for now, as I have other sets I want to get and don't know where I'd even put this one, but it's not a firm one. I definitely want these new and exclusive versions of Doc and Marty regardless. The minifigs are nearly flawless, though the color gap in Marty's self-tying shoes and the overused young Han Solo face does not fit for Marty/Calvin Klein/Clint Eastwood.

Wow, this set is absolutely incredible. The only problems are with Marty. That face just doesn't work: if LEGO couldn't bring back the old print or make a new one, I think the recent Peter Parker head would have been a better option for a reprint, albeit still far from perfect. As for the shoes, they desperately needed to be double-molded to avoid that gap. Or, if that really wasn't possible, they should've chosen white as the base plastic color and just printed on the blue of the pants - LEGO's printers have no issues with that, and they did it fairly regularly in the 2010s before the introduction of double molding. I never modify minifigures, but I'll probably be using a little strip of white tape to cover that up. Other than that figure, though, this might be my favorite LEGO set of all time. I never buy the large CREATOR cars, but this is so detailed and so spot-on that it's an instant day-one purchase for me.

That 18+ DeLorean Time Machine looks epic! The inclusion of a beer can (presumably) marks the first time LEGO has acknowledged alcoholic beverages in their products. Correct me if I’m wrong.

Now if only the BttF3 Traveling Time Train would get the LEGO treatment next, depending on the 18+ DeLorean Time Machine’s sales.

5 minutes ago, MatthewRC said:

That 18+ DeLorean Time Machine looks epic! The inclusion of a beer can (presumably) marks the first time LEGO has acknowledged alcoholic beverages in their products. Correct me if I’m wrong.

Actually, we had 2 in 2021. The "Friends Apartments" set included an unambiguous bottle of beer, and the Marvel "Bro Thor's New Asgard" included a keg of trans-yellow studs, obviously meant to be beer. (Unless it's a piss keg, but beer is more likely.)

Looks like a very good set, but I wish it included the train wheels.  The version with the train wheels has always been the more iconic of the two BTTF 3 versions in my opinion.  That new slope piece is perfect for the hood, but I hope it gets much wider use otherwise it'll still seem like cheating.  The bows on the back quarter of the Porsche no longer seem like cheating to me because they've also been used in the Typewriter, the Pickup Truck, the Titanic, and the Vespa, but if they hadn't also been used in those large sets recently I would still think poorly of them.

I don’t know if i’ll ever buy the set, it does look perfect! Maybe i should try it once, buying a not scaled for minifigs vehicle. It’s so sleek it almost doesn’t look like lego. Nice job lego. 
and i appreciate the inclusion of the minifigs, but i wish they would have gone for dualmoulded legs on both of them. Especially Marty looks off because of the lack of it. And his face doesn’t look like him at all and is missing his cap

Edited by Borex

6 hours ago, Borex said:

I don’t know if i’ll ever buy the set, it does look perfect! Maybe i should try it once, buying a not scaled for minifigs vehicle. It’s so sleek it almost doesn’t look like lego. Nice job lego. 
and i appreciate the inclusion of the minifigs, but i wish they would have gone for dualmoulded legs on both of them. Especially Marty looks off because of the lack of it. And his face doesn’t look like him at all and is missing his cap

My first non-minifig scale set was the UCS Tumbler. I was fascinated with it from day one. Nowadays, I am very selective with large sets. So far, I've only justified getting the DeLorean, Batmobile, and Tumbler with regards to large vehicles. I think one gets used to it. This scale has the advantage of representing the model with such accuracy as would never be possible with a minifig scale model. I agree about the dual-molded legs (especially for Marty), the odd use of Han's face for Marty, and the lack of a cap accessory. Lego's marbled colors would be perfect for the cap!

13 hours ago, icm said:

Looks like a very good set, but I wish it included the train wheels.  The version with the train wheels has always been the more iconic of the two BTTF 3 versions in my opinion.  That new slope piece is perfect for the hood, but I hope it gets much wider use otherwise it'll still seem like cheating.  The bows on the back quarter of the Porsche no longer seem like cheating to me because they've also been used in the Typewriter, the Pickup Truck, the Titanic, and the Vespa, but if they hadn't also been used in those large sets recently I would still think poorly of them.

I agree. Are there any existing train wheels in this size they could have used? I wonder how hard it would be to MOC it.

Edited by BrickHat

You know, I just realised that another recently released Creator Expert vehicle would go great with this set.

vlcsnap-2022-03-19-20h00m45s690.png

Obviously this wasn't done on purpose but it is funny how close they were released to each other though.

Edited by LB2341

1 hour ago, LB2341 said:

Obviously this wasn't done on purpose but it is funny how close they were released to each other though.

I'm not sure about that, LEGO likes to put eastereggs in sets or to tease things. The bus should also be about the same scale

I LOVE this set. LEGO did a great job recratng all the angles of the car and you can really see how much ethusiasm the designer had. Awesome how there is no gap between the hood and the fenders! I'm so exited for the review by @kbalage to see all of the details and functions! I'm pretty sure I'll buy this!

Edited by brickhead_07

Ha that’s interesting! I wonder if there’s some little thing in the t2 which relates to back to the future, and was intended as a Easter egg…