1980-Something-Space-Guy

The future of Back to the Future

Coming April 1st, 2022:

10300: DeLorean Time Machine

1872 pcs, $169.99

Minifigs: Marty and Doc (BTTF Part II)

• Measures 35cm long
  • Features three distinct building options: choose which car from the Back to the Future films you want to build first; rebuild to create the other versions (all three versions cannot be built simultaneously from the single set)
  • Set features Doc Brown and Marty McFly incarnated as LEGO minifigures
  • Faithfully recreated details from the three films include: tyres that fold down for flight mode, the iconic light-up flux capacitor, dashboard dates, opening gull-wing doors and hood, and a variety of other Easter eggs like Marty’s hoverboard and swappable licence plates
  • Features windscreen and shaping element for the front of the DeLorean which are new to LEGO

https://www.lego.com/en-us/lego-delorean-is-back

https://brickset.com/article/73524/bttf-delorean-time-machine-revealed!

https://www.lego.com/en-us/product/back-to-the-future-time-machine-10300

73524_10300_Box1.jpg

73524_10300_Box2.jpg

10300_alt2.jpg

10300_alt10.jpg

73524_10300_Back_04.jpg

-----------------------------------------

Ever since the DeLorean Ideas set came out, I have been hoping that Lego's licensing with Universal for that specific set could result in more BTTF sets. In fact, I am pretty sure that this made it easier for the Dimensions game to include BTTF. However, as a huge BTTF fan, who's hoping to get more figs and a better-looking DeLorean than what we actually got, my thirst is not satisfied by the figures and parts included in the Dimensions packs. How likely is it that we will ever get more BTTF sets? Right now, it seems that Lego is saturated with licenses. However, it would be great to see sets a la Ghostbusters HQ made for BTTF. Is there any hope?

Edited by BrickHat

Ever since the DeLorean Ideas set came out, I have been hoping that Lego's licensing with Universal for that specific set could result in more BTTF sets. In fact, I am pretty sure that this made it easier for the Dimensions game to include BTTF. However, as a huge BTTF fan, who's hoping to get more figs and a better-looking DeLorean than what we actually got, my thirst is not satisfied by the figures and parts included in the Dimensions packs. How likely is it that we will ever get more BTTF sets? Right now, it seems that Lego is saturated with licenses. However, it would be great to see sets a la Ghostbusters HQ made for BTTF. Is there any hope?

I certainly hope so, as I want as BttF time train!

EDIT: And yes, i know i could part one out, but their is something special about a lego set VS someone else's MOC.

Edited by Murdoch17

I wouldn't hold my breath.

A new theme would IMHO only appeal to fans of the films, not to Lego's target audience, children. From what I have understand from comments on this forum, The Hobbit sets didn't do very well (?) even though there was a direct movie tie-in (as in a movie that actually screened at the time) and The Hobbit also has a huge fan following.

I also don't think a D2C set like the Simpsons' or the GBHQ will be made. The only real iconic building from BTTF would be the court house, but we only ever see that from the outside. There would be nothing from the movies to put inside. Maybe Doc's garage, but that is not really an iconic building, again, IMHO.

Edited by 6ix

First off, the Title of this thread is great!

In terms of Sets, I wouldn't be surprised if we saw more. I for one would also like to see the Time Train.

To me this theme is sort of compared to Doctor Who.

There is only so much one can do with it. Though the movies are fantastic, representing it in LEGO with playfeatures will be a tough one.

Dont get me wrong. I love Doctor Who beyond what you can imagine as well with Back to the future.

But making this a theme working over several sets is gonna be a hard task for the designers and developers.

However, miracles have happened before ( Doctor Who LEGO :wub: )

So one never knows.

My shake on it.

KlodsBrik.

Edited by KlodsBrik

I would love more BTTF sets. Unfortunately, since there are no big media tie-ins, I can't realistically see more happening. I was just thinking today about how 2015 Marty could be a promo minifig now because of dual molded arms and the Hoverboard...

The only real iconic building from BTTF would be the court house, but we only ever see that from the outside. There would be nothing from the movies to put inside. Maybe Doc's garage, but that is not really an iconic building, again, IMHO.

Well, I actually think there's a couple of things that could be done. A UCSish DeLorean, for instance, or at least a better looking minifig-scale DeLorean. Some fun ideas that I can think about for sets are the skateboard chase (either 1955 or 2015), the scene with the lightning and the clocktower (scaled down enough for simplicity), and the scene with the train and the DeLorean. Other people have pointed out the Time Train, which I'm sure would be pretty popular as well!

Unfortunately all additional Ideas sets seem to have had bad fates after the first success. It might be the case that Lego doesn't think there is enough interest for these sets. What little hope I do have comes from the fact that they decided to include Back to the Future in Dimensions, which to me means that they believe that, to some degree, BTTF is marketable to children as well.

The lack of big media tie-ins definitely seems to be a problem. I had been hoping that with all the attention that the trilogy received this year with Back to the Future Day, that Lego would be tempted to do something special. On the plus side, the amount of attention the franchise got this year could have increased interest in the trilogy, and could potentially warrant a couple Lego sets.

I would love a Hill Valley courthouse with clock tower and Cafe 80s! We also need a Biff, Lorraine and George McFly in the worst way.

I think the hardest part is that BttF doesn't have an extensive character cast. I consider myself a fan of the movies, yet I can't name Biff's sidekicks, the name of Marty's parents, or any of Doc's kids. That makes me believe that most sets would only really include Marty and Doc, which limits how extensive they could be. Sure, it' could be nice to get the time machine train or clock tower, but both could easily be made with current bricks and there's no incentive for Lego to try to promote such sets. Unfortunately, with "BttF Day" over and no movies in sight, BttF may be... outta time.

tumblr_mkl7z6HC6t1qifm00o1_500.gif

I think the hardest part is that BttF doesn't have an extensive character cast. I consider myself a fan of the movies, yet I can't name Biff's sidekicks, the name of Marty's parents, or any of Doc's kids.

Marty's parents: George and Lorraine

Doc's kids: Jules and Verne

Not sure about the sidekicks, though.

Dont get me wrong. I love Doctor Who beyond what you can imagine as well with Back to the future.

I can verify that this is indeed true.

As most have been saying, it's possible but I wouldn't get your hopes up. Although, in recent years thanks to LEGO Ideas and some very interesting choices made on the part of LEGO, we've ended up having a movie that is now considered "Citizen Kane" level food-for-thought (at least to me, but I'm not very bright anyway, so whatevs...) as well as LEGO Doctor Who, something that no-one in a BAJILLION years would have predicted. I mean, think about it, 10-15 years ago, could you as a child or an adult have imagined that? I mean, sure there was lego SW and bionicle, but don't you think people would have laughed their bricks off if you ever said anything about LEGO making "Back to the Future" or Doctor Who? So, I guess.... be optimistic, but realistic in your optimism. Though seeing as the set has sold ok, LEGO might do the BTTF3 train....

I can verify that this is indeed true.

As most have been saying, it's possible but I wouldn't get your hopes up. Although, in recent years thanks to LEGO Ideas and some very interesting choices made on the part of LEGO, we've ended up having a movie that is now considered "Citizen Kane" level food-for-thought (at least to me, but I'm not very bright anyway, so whatevs...) as well as LEGO Doctor Who, something that no-one in a BAJILLION years would have predicted. I mean, think about it, 10-15 years ago, could you as a child or an adult have imagined that? I mean, sure there was lego SW and bionicle, but don't you think people would have laughed their bricks off if you ever said anything about LEGO making "Back to the Future" or Doctor Who? So, I guess.... be optimistic, but realistic in your optimism. Though seeing as the set has sold ok, LEGO might do the BTTF3 train....

I have to admit, 10 years ago I never thought there'd be LEGO sets based on Doctor Who. I always thought Back to the Future had a slight possibility though because the films are still very much popular and the specific future date Marty travels to in Part 2 hadn't passed yet.

Can't see that happening. Too expensive.

Oh no, I know it's not happening. It'd be several times larger than any set they've ever made. I still want it though.

tumblr_mkl7z6HC6t1qifm00o1_500.gif

Marty's parents: George and Lorraine

Doc's kids: Jules and Verne

Not sure about the sidekicks, though.

Match (with match), Skinhead (with yellow jacket) & 3-D (the dude with the glasses)

Oh no, I know it's not happening. It'd be several times larger than any set they've ever made. I still want it though.

I want one too. When you get one, let me know if they have any left. :sweet:

More BTTF sets seem unlikely, if they'd been planning any, they'd surely have timed an announcement with all the buzz around October 21st.

More BTTF sets seem unlikely, if they'd been planning any, they'd surely have timed an announcement with all the buzz around October 21st.

It's interesting that you mention that, and I had not considered it from that perspective. At the same time, there is a slight chance that October 21st could make them realize that at least some BTTF sets could be profitable in the near future. It does seem unlikely that the franchise will be any more popular decades from now, so if we are going to have any BTTF Lego, the near future would have to be the time. :sadnew:

Edited by johnnyvgoode

Indeed. No matter whether BTTF sets are coming, LEGO has missed the very golden date of the "future" and this cannot happen ever again, so sad...... Wish that all Dimensions-related franchises can be as lucky as GB.