erix

[MOC] Vic Hickey & Steve McQueen's Baja Boot From 1967

I'm embarrased to say this model has been around for over two years. I never thought of showing it but agrof's Class 1 buggy made me want to show it as the Baja Boot, built in 1967, could be considered the very first purpose-built off-road race car.

img_4238_sm.jpg

Built in secret by Vic Hickey, an independent inventor and engineer who built special projects for GM, with access to GM's latest technology, the Baja Boot was unlike anything else raced down the Baja peninsula. It had a steel tube space frame with a 450HP mid-engined small block V8 mated to the then-new TH400 automatic transmission. A Dana 18 transfer case sent the power to Corvette independent differentials at each end wich terminated in disc brakes and giant 36" tall Goodyear tires suspended from Oldsmobile Toronado FWD hubs. Torsion bars were used instead of coil or leaf springs.

img_4243_sm.jpg

This model doesn't have torsion bar suspension, motors, remote control, or even (very) functional steering. It was built for display, hence the dust!

img_4239_sm.jpg

The battery box is the perfect scale for he orginal's gas tank.

img_4240_sm.jpg

I had to make many trips to the Bricklink well for this model...

img_4241_sm.jpg

Buried in the frame is a V8 engine that turns with the wheels.

img_4242_sm.jpg

Nowadays you couldn't run the radiator unprotected like this!

img_4244_sm.jpg

There's a few studded parts in this model.

img_4245_sm.jpg

Differentials front and rear with Sariel's two-speed transmission is in the middle. The steering is pretty janky but it works.

img_4246_sm.jpg

Not as heavy as the Unimog but not a lightweight model for sure!

The Boot began it's racing career at the second ever Baja 1000 in 1968 after being purchased by Steve McQueen. It was raced competitively until 1980. It won the Baja 500 in 1969 and participated in many of off-road racing's most famous events including multiple Baja events and the Mint 400 in my home town of Las Vegas.

A great history of the car, as well as lots of pictures, can be found here!

Larger pictures can be found in my Bricklink folder here!

ok,

erix

Excellent re-creation of a nice vehicle. I really like it!

Larger pictures can be found in my Bricklink folder here!
Brickshelf maybe? :laugh:

Thanks for the comments!

The model has been around three years, not two as I orginally thought. Yesterday it was dropped and too much trouble to put back together so now only these photographs remain! I guess it was time for it to go.

ok,

erix

beautiful baja buggy :thumbup: , I have the WIP project of the same car in model team style but in smaller scale :laugh: I hope to make some time to finish it during christmas

beautiful baja buggy :thumbup: , I have the WIP project of the same car in model team style but in smaller scale :laugh: I hope to make some time to finish it during christmas

I can't wait to see that, rhplus!