Imanol BB

(MOC)(LDD) My version of the Unstoppable 777

Hello all, im not a very experienced train builder, but since i saw the movie "Unstoppable", i got inspiration to build trains, so, i made my own version of the 777 train of the movie in LDD, which if im not wrong its a BNSF GE C44-9W, so here it goes:

Im not very talented for the aesthetics, thats why it is a bit ugly, it was supposed to have a yellow stripe on the sides, but i think it would look much better with stickers, however, i will see if i can make of bricks.

777.png

I decided to make it 8 wide, to have more space for details and to make it more scale-realistic.

7773.png

The propulsion system its done by one battery box, one sbrick and 2 XL motors for each locomotive:

7776.png

And this is how it steers (it still can steer to take the normal curves)

7779.png

I hope you like it, i will try to post more pics of the working parts.

Thanks.

The bogies are cool! And the drive train is interesting with those u joints.

New update, some improvements on the cab:

77713.png

The working doors:

7774-1.png

Also, i know that the U-joints are very likely to fail, but i think they are better than gears because there is less friction and i dont need to relocate all the motors.

Edited by ImanolBB

Looks good for a first effort. A few things: those U joints will fail, and quickly. Your middle axle on your bogies will need to be able to slide side to side in order to navigate standard Lego curves. There is a 3 axle truck in rail bricks issue 6 that resolves this issue. My last comment is more a matter of taste, but your cab windows are a bit too tall. Consider using 1 x 2 x 2 clear wall panels on their side.

Your wheel trim looks great, but if you have a middle sliding axle, the wheels will collide with the trim. Spacing the trim away from the wheels will fix this, but then it'll look a little too wide. If you don't want to deal with the complexities of a sliding axle, just get rid of the middle axle altogether and fake it with the trim.

I think the wheels sliding is enough for the standard curves:

77714.png

77715.png

The new cab:

77716.png

and about the U-joints, im thinking to change them for cv joints.

EDIT: Another solution for the wheels sliding, forget the wheels:

77717.pngAlso, another change on the bogies front:

77718.png

77719.png

Edited by ImanolBB

Looks a lot better than my first train MOC's.

Railroad picture archives has a lot of pictures of all the movie pieces (http://www.rrpicture...st.aspx?id=AWVR). Nearly every train in the movie was an actual locomotive leased from its owners and repainted for use in the film. Engine 777 from the film was actually Canadian Pacific #9777 and Canadian Pacific # 9782, after the film ended #9777 and #9782 both lasted for a while in the movie paint scheme before they were repainted back to classic CP red.

For bonus movie info though, the whole film was based on an incident that happened to CSX #8888 which ran for the CSX railroad up until a little while back (it is currently being rebuilt in Boise Idaho and will probably not have the same number, and might even have some major design changes). Nearly everything in the film except for the most outlandish moments: is pulled directly from the CSX 8888 incident. (No surprise the movie locomotive is 777 then...)

Edited by xboxtravis7992

Good looking locomotives! Keep up the good work!

One thing I noticed is that none of your pictures show brick outlines. Are you aware of this function? Makes building MUCH easier!

Activate it by the following steps:

- Click the "edit" tab in the top left corner of the screen.

- Click on "Preferences" at the bottom of the drop down menu.

- Select "Outlines on Bricks" at the bottom of the next menu.

- Click "OK"

- Restart LDD to activate new preference.

Brick outlines really helps me with my model building. Much easier to see where structure problems may exist.

You've incorporated some neat details that I haven't seen in any MOCs, e.g., I like the various pilots you've built up and the nose door is a nice touch. Now here's another option for the trucks- leave out the middle wheels altogether. It doesn't look like you can see them behind the truck frames.