BirdOPrey5

Some Rude Moderators?

1 minute ago, VaderFan2187 said:

Isn't this... *huh*... off topic?

True, and yet you are even more off topic by asking this, three months and several days after the post. :wink:

3 minutes ago, Peppermint_M said:

True, and yet you are even more off topic by asking this, three months and several days after the post. :wink:

Okay, sorry. *runs to hide*

But yeah, the moderators on this site are generally okay. They're still human, and make mistakes, but I can usually understand where they're coming from.

Edited by VaderFan2187

Since the late 90’s I’ve been active on many forums, messageboards. From Star Wars to football, from DVDs to merchandise, games….too many to mention. In all these years I have never, ever received a (temporary) ban, not even a warning!

Until a few days ago, when I made the unforgivable mistake to post in the Star Wars rumours 2017 thread. Someone posted that Rogue One was doing better at the boxoffice than the prequels and I (politely) replied (with a link to boxofficemojo) that both Episode I and III made more money. Oh, I also replied to someone who asked where CM4Sci was by saying he got a ban and I didn't know what the reason was.

Apparently, such posts are a crime. A huge crime. Well, according to ‘moderator’ stash2sixx that is. He placed me and 12 others in ‘the isolation chamber’ for this offense. The way he talks and handles things….not the way I'd do it. Oh, while in the chamber you’re also not allowed to look at the other threads! (Really? Who invents these rules?)

In all my +-20 years on the internet I have never, ever, experienced something like this. I like this forum. I like this forum a LOT. Because of the users (who provide the best Lego information there is), sadly not because of ‘moderators’ like the one mentioned above who just seem to enjoy the ‘power’ they have on this page.

As I really, truly enjoy reading posts and looking at the videos and pictures members post here I will certainly remain a lurking member, but I'll have to think about posting here again.

Was your post about a SW 2017 rumored set, or was it about which movie made more at the box office?

Was your other post about a SW 2017 rumored set, or was it about a member who was banned from this site?

If the post is not about the SW 2017 rumored sets, then they don't belong in the SW 2017 rumored set thread, do they?

5 minutes ago, Stash2Sixx said:

Was your post about a SW 2017 rumored set, or was it about which movie made more at the box office?

Was your other post about a SW 2017 rumored set, or was it about a member who was banned from this site?

If the post is not about the SW 2017 rumored sets, then they don't belong in the SW 2017 rumored set thread, do they?

He is not denying that he did not go off topic. However, there are other, better, ways of keeping things on topic rather than silencing people for days. This is after all a community. It should not feel like a mini dictatorship 

It is a community, run by volunteers.  And unfortunately, we as volunteers cannot be looming over this site 24 hours a day.  So when other things come up and we deal with them, Eurobricks may be pushed to the back burner.

23 minutes ago, Stash2Sixx said:

No dad, it doesn't.

Regarding the 2nd thing: someone asked why CM4Sci isn't posting anymore. I answered. Wouldn't it be rude if everyone ignored that question?

16 minutes ago, Duncan Young said:

He is not denying that he did not go off topic. However, there are other, better, ways of keeping things on topic rather than silencing people for days. This is after all a community. It should not feel like a mini dictatorship 

EXACTLY.

7 minutes ago, Stash2Sixx said:

It is a community, run by volunteers.  And unfortunately, we as volunteers cannot be looming over this site 24 hours a day.  So when other things come up and we deal with them, Eurobricks may be pushed to the back burner.

Ehm, what does this have to do with my post? Sure, I fully understand you cannot watch the site 24/7 (I'm an editor/admin myself), but this hasn't got anything to do with the tone of language and the absurd strictness of some rules. Minor things (like an offtopic post) should be treated differently, not so hostile. It would only improve the forum. People should enjoy the site, not being afraid of getting a (temporary) ban and think five times before they post.

Just my 2 cents.

This seems to come up every few months or so. Yes, we're a volunteer staff who all give their time to keep this forum running smoothly. "Temporary ban" is an oxymoron. We suspend accounts from time to time to have discussions regarding member's behavior in a forum where the staff has oversight. We ask that you respect the rule that you don't read other people's threads because they are private conversations between staff and that member. If we were to create a subforum for each member we suspended, our software configuration would be an absolute mess. Asking to follow the simple rule of respecting another member's privacy shouldn't be too much to ash. Why do we do it this way? A lot of forums, and ours before we came up with this solution, tries to correct behavior in the actual discussion. Sometimes this goes ignored and other times it escalates which is not good for anybody involved for everything to be seen publicly. If there's a private conversation, there's a tendency for things to go more smoothly. We could use the PM system but that carries the possibility of people fabricating what has been said or for members or staff to behave in ways they wouldn't if there was a record of what was happening. So, we believe it is most fair to everyone to create the subforum where suspended members can discuss whatever issue has come up with the moderator and the entire staff has oversight. So, if you find yourself there, please be calm. Our staff is here for a reason and one of the biggest factors is that we trust them to be able to handle these things in a fair manner. Everyone has different tactics and everyone has different personalities and, as in life, you must do your best to communicate. After all, it is only your behavior that you have control over.

Just send a pm to the person. If they ignore it, then ban them right away for a short period of time.

This "taking a break" thing feels like teaching a child how to behave.

1 hour ago, Dharkan said:

Just send a pm to the person. If they ignore it, then ban them right away for a short period of time.

This "taking a break" thing feels like teaching a child how to behave.

As I just explained, we have our method and we're sticking to it. Thank you for the advice, though.

And everyone, banning is permanent. "Temporary banning" is a suspension. We don't ban people lightly. For the most part, you won't even have to worry about this if you don't give the staff a hard time. Everybody has better stuff to do with their time. Go build. Go do something with LEGO.

I think you’re missing my points:

A temporary ban for an offtopic post? Isn’t that a bit harsh?

Apparently you must ignore certain questions (like why someone doesn’t post anymore) because you get a temporary ban if you give an answer?

Moderators talk to you like you’re a little kid?

You’ve explained why you have these ‘chambers’ instead of simply sending a PM. Ok, that’s clear…now what about the other things?

It's a private chat, not a temporary ban. A chat with full oversight, hence the forum.

I'm also going to add that constant and consistent off topic posting makes the thread unrelated to the original topic. So all posts need action to be taken.

2 hours ago, Peppermint_M said:

It's a private chat, not a temporary ban. A chat with full oversight, hence the forum.

I'm also going to add that constant and consistent off topic posting makes the thread unrelated to the original topic. So all posts need action to be taken.

Ok, then here's the correction:

I think you’re missing my points:

A private chat during which you cannot post on the forum for an offtopic post? Isn’t that a bit harsh?

Apparently you must ignore certain questions (like why someone doesn’t post anymore) because you get a private chat during which you cannot post on the forum if you give an answer?

You’ve explained why you have these ‘chambers’ instead of simply sending a PM. Ok, that’s clear…now what about the other things?

30 minutes ago, Jedi-Bendu said:

How many times are staff supposed to remind "adults" who post a lot in the same topic to stay on topic?   If there are multiple reminders to remain on topic, and those reminders are ignored, how do you expect staff to treat those members?  If there are reminders on almost every page of a topic, wouldn't you think that would frustrate staff? 

A lot of members who are under aged post in the new set topics.  I will admit, my first thought when disciplining someone for going off topic in a new set topic is that they're likely a kid. 

24 minutes ago, Phred said:

A lot of members who are under aged post in the new set topics.  I will admit, my first thought when disciplining someone for going off topic in a new set topic is that they're likely a kid. 

Check the profile.

But like I said: I have only experienced this tone here...in 20 years of posting on forums...(where people have gone offtopic as well!)

Also funny that my other questions are still unanswered/avoided.

Good luck with the forum.

Edited by Jedi-Bendu

It looks like nothing is going to be an answer that satisfies you. We run the forum the best we can on our own time, for free. Harsh or not, the chamber works. People have had a chat, the problem is sorted and they go on to be welcome members.

Ok, so you are cross about being picked up on one post, but why not use the message system to tell the member asking an off topic question? 

Everyone can lie on their profile, age/birthdate mean nothing on the internet. Heck, I set my location as The Planet Zi, though clearly I'm not from there. As Phred said, you get to a point where you appear to be dealing with kids. 

I hope you can cool off a bit and carry on enjoying the site. 

What I don't like is people who do 1 offtopic post get treated as harshly as those who do, say, 10, when the mods do a mass cleanup of an offtopic thread.

Also, if the chamber is supposed to be a discussion with the mods, why is it that I am always talking with the same moderator? Who happens to be in the opposite timezone from me? And no other mods join the conversation?

10 minutes ago, VaderFan2187 said:

What I don't like is people who do 1 offtopic post get treated as harshly as those who do, say, 10, when the mods do a mass cleanup of an offtopic thread.

Also, if the chamber is supposed to be a discussion with the mods, why is it that I am always talking with the same moderator? Who happens to be in the opposite timezone from me? And no other mods join the conversation?

Because that moderator is the one who put you there. None of us would step in. We act as a staff and back each other up. We would say the same thing to you that he/she would so out of respect for the moderator who suspended your account, we let him/her handle the situation. We appreciate members being patient when things like that happen. You might not be able to post for a day or two but the forum is still available to read as a guest.

2 hours ago, Jedi-Bendu said:

Check the profile.

But like I said: I have only experienced this tone here...in 20 years of posting on forums...(where people have gone offtopic as well!)

Also funny that my other questions are still unanswered/avoided.

Good luck with the forum.

All your questions are subjective. I find no point in answering them as you appear to be having a tantrum. Good luck to you as well.

I fail to understand what this topic is meant to accomplish. Some good has been done in this thread in the past but I unfortunately feel like for the most part this 'rude mods' thread is a gallery where moderators line everyone up who has something bad to say and shoot them down while not really taking in what is being critiqued. I know it may be hard to have someone criticise your team or staff but none of us are infallible and every point, every critique has to be addressed and worked on

Edited by Duncan Young

8 minutes ago, Duncan Young said:

I fail to understand what this topic is meant to accomplish. Some good has been done in this thread in the past but I unfortunately feel like for the most part this 'rude mods' thread is a gallery where moderators line everyone up who has something bad to say and shoot them down while not really taking in what is being critiqued. I know it may be hard to have someone criticise your team or staff but none of us are infallible and every point, every critique has to be addressed and worked on

I have to disagree. If you spend your life addressing and working on every critique, you'll become nothing. While I agree every criticism should be considered, I would never try to work on every criticism. The source must be considered, the frequency of the complaint and the subjectivity. I've worked in the arts and design my entire life and some criticism needs to be politely dismissed. I believe the same applies to how we run the site. If we tried to address every critique, we'd be wasting a lot of time, especially when it came to someone lashing out due to their anger, when they would never be so critical if we were discussing the issue face–to–face.

I have a slightly different minor issue. I cannot use a phrase I like anymore, which is  O - k - e - y  Dokey (Which is a perfectly fine, if slightly outdated, informal version of OK and isn't all that uncommon), because it doesn't seem to meet someones personal standards of English. :hmpf_bad:

Okay (not ok-ey)-doke!  It just seems a silly filter to me.

Edited by Catanas

:blush: That term was driving me nuts for a while (due to one member's use of it in the gaming forum, during a game...aka me being immature) so I added it to the swear filter. I'll remove it. Sorry about that.

And for the record, I still think the term is stupid. :tongue:

2 minutes ago, Hinckley said:

:blush: That term was driving me nuts for a while (due to one member's use of it in the gaming forum, during a game...aka me being immature) so I added it to the swear filter. I'll remove it. Sorry about that.

That would explain it. Thankyou! I shall use it sparingly! :tongue:

Edited by Catanas

I did a 5–minute Google search and I found no evidence that "okey" is a word.

2 minutes ago, Catanas said:

That would explain it. Thankyou! I shall use it sparingly! :tongue:

No worries. Say it all you want. It's one of those things like I say to people, "Should I be doing something LEGO–related or focusing my time on something petty?" :blush:

Just now, Hinckley said:

I did a 5–minute Google search and I found no evidence that "okey" is a word.

As part of the phrase, Okey-Dokey, it is! And Okay(Not okey) Dokey doesn't have the same ring to it. :(