BirdOPrey5

Some Rude Moderators?

19 minutes ago, Tariq j said:

I think maybe that even though you personally, view it as overposting, mods and others may view it as you trying to get the highest rank possible by posting excessively.

Sorry if I came across that way :look:

4 hours ago, VaderFan2187 said:

Sorry if I came across that way :look:

I know it's something they've clamped down on in the past and I've seen several members who have had reductions in post count. It's definitely not something that's been aimed at you uniquely.

Just found this thread, thought I'd post a few concerns of mine - I mean no offence to any moderators of this site, please don't see it as such.

- Is it really necessary to chamber so many people for off-topic chatter? The big reply that was posted was certainly enough to get everyone's heads down and back in line. If someone had posted multiple off-topic comments, surely a simple PM saying something like 'Hey, could you try staying on topic next time, please? It makes the thread hard to follow for others' would've sufficed, unless the member has veered off-topic a couple times before. In some of the other boards I've been on the site, all that was needed was a mod to put things back in the right direction. I don't think the need for chambering multiple individuals for going off-topic was entirely necessary, an affirmative reply to put things back on track and maybe a few PM's if necessary would have done the job just fine.

- I also noticed how I kind of had to guess why on earth I was there. I wouldn't say I was insulted, that's the wrong word, but it's something along those lines, I can't think of the word. I also talked to two other members on other platforms outside of Eurobricks while I (and they) were in the Chamber and brought up this topic, and they both agreed they weren't fond of how that was handled. I kind of felt like I was a 4 year old getting sat in the Naughty Corner, which I thought was a bit odd, really, considering this a site for adults only - I've been on various other sites where children are allowed to stroll around and post whatever they please, and had a chat with a moderator where I've been told by the mod 'Hey, you breached a rule here, could you edit that out, please?' or something. With all due respect, having to guess what I've done wrong felt a little childish to me. I'm sure there's a reason why you guys use that kind of approach, but I'm certainly not all for it.

Again, no offence to any the moderation team.

Ok, so reading this forum, I get how the moderators see and deal with spam and off topic comments, seems all fine to  me, like it has been said, we're all adults so we should behave as such

So my question is, is completely shutting down a mainstream set forum because some people were arguing about an on topic manor reasonable? From what I've learnt these people should just have been added to this chamber, but everyone has been punished for some people's mistakes.

It's like back in my school, I was off for a week, then I came back and because everyone else had been misbehaving for the last week, everyone in the class, including me, got sent to lunchtime detention

1 hour ago, Quicksilver838 said:

Ok, so reading this forum, I get how the moderators see and deal with spam and off topic comments, seems all fine to  me, like it has been said, we're all adults so we should behave as such

So my question is, is completely shutting down a mainstream set forum because some people were arguing about an on topic manor reasonable? From what I've learnt these people should just have been added to this chamber, but everyone has been punished for some people's mistakes.

It's like back in my school, I was off for a week, then I came back and because everyone else had been misbehaving for the last week, everyone in the class, including me, got sent to lunchtime detention

Yes that was weird today. Seeing a major set forum locked due to the actions of two members last night while most of us were away; thus locking it on the day of the German Toy Fair... It seemed so bizarre; especially since the toy fair has brought up some information on the sets (no pictures, but a confirmation of some rumors about which sets correspond to a certain film in the franchise...). I like the analogy Quicksilver used about school; punishing a group as a whole for the actions of one or two people was one of the disciplinary actions I HATED when I was a child myself. I remember countless times were I was being punished because of something a classmate did. Rather than teach me a lesson, it just made me resent the teachers for it. I don't want to start feeling resentment to the moderators here, so I recommend avoiding this group punishment method because it leaves a very bad taste in the mouth of those who are following the rules and got punished alongside the perpetrators. 

What forum got locked?

3 hours ago, ChristopherLee said:

@Deathstroke77

Without naming any specific people here, I think it was just the behavior of that one certain mod. The rest don't seem to act as oddly as he does.

Maybe not, but there are plenty of moderators on the site. Other mods may use a similar approach.

I understand people's frustration on 'group punishment' but I've never resented a teacher for that... I resented the person that did something then was happy to let others take the shared blame.

I've had conversations with mods before now but I must say I think they only act when they feel like people are acting like children... which is the main irony of a site that should be populated by adults. It must frustrate the hell out of them to see a thread go south and then have members just say 'it's a rumour thread... I can talk about it if I like'.

Also, remember we do the moderation on our free time. When you just woke up and the discussion thread your moderating has gone completely wrong and your late for your job, you have two options: do nothing, or lock the thread and deal with it later.

And from experience, asking nicely and politely people to stay on topic don't work for more than a couple of hours...

Sorry to go to this thread again but I would like to address something that@Stash2Sixx had said in the Star Wars 2017 Pictures and Rumours thread 

"Speculation, wish lists, fake news...keep it up!  I got lots of room in the chamber and I'm off this weekend so I can start snatchin' people up at anytime."

I personally believe that this comes across less as a warning and more of a threat and it's down right unpleasant to me. The role of a moderator is to keep threads from going off topic, maintain strong links with Lego and so much more that goes unappreciated. I've seen the SW threads and they aren't often pretty. I'm sure it's tiring trying to keep control. But this is not the kind of attitude one would want from a member of Eurobricks- a moderator or otherwise. Not too long ago on this thread I was asked what action I wanted taken. I would like certain moderators to be less disrespectful. This certainly isn't aimed at all mods. So many of you are great and make Eurobricks what it is but this is my opinion and I wish that you will take note of that. Have a nice day :classic:

4 hours ago, Duncan Young said:

I personally believe that this comes across less as a warning and more of a threat and it's down right unpleasant to me. The role of a moderator is to keep threads from going off topic, maintain strong links with Lego and so much more that goes unappreciated. I've seen the SW threads and they aren't often pretty. I'm sure it's tiring trying to keep control. But this is not the kind of attitude one would want from a member of Eurobricks- a moderator or otherwise. Not too long ago on this thread I was asked what action I wanted taken. I would like certain moderators to be less disrespectful. This certainly isn't aimed at all mods. So many of you are great and make Eurobricks what it is but this is my opinion and I wish that you will take note of that. Have a nice day :classic:

As you said yourself, the SW forum is not 'pretty'. I hardly post on EB anymore because of the sorts of things these mods have to deal with every day, despite numerous warnings to stop. The level of 'discussion' in the rumour thread is incredibly annoying, and people get away with far too much IMO. Simply using google, the front page of the topic containing information, taking a few minutes to read previous pages or use the search function, or realising life isn't about having a high post count or when you can buy a LEGO set would cut down the number of pages in the thread by half. IMO what Stash said was completely fair, and tbh I'm very surprised some obvious repeat offenders haven't been banned yet. Some members have even been lucky enough to be going in and out of the chamber a couple of times without being banned. I remember back in the day that when people were put in the chamber once, they changed for good or didn't come back. It's clearly not due to the mods, but the people posting. People nowadays don't seem to listen unless it's a hard warning or threat, I'm sure there were at least three warnings prior to Stash's post from other mods. It must be very frustrating to deal with this sort of behaviour on a forum meant for AFOLs.
I know if I was a moderator the ban hammer would be coming down hard, but that's why I'll never be a moderator. :grin:

Edited by Jammiedodger

19 minutes ago, Jammiedodger said:

As you said yourself, the SW forum is not 'pretty'. I hardly post on EB anymore because of the sorts of things these mods have to deal with every day, despite numerous warnings to stop. The level of 'discussion' in the rumour thread is incredibly annoying, and people get away with far too much IMO. Simply using google, the front page of the topic containing information, taking a few minutes to read previous pages or use the search function, or realising life isn't about having a high post count or when you can buy a LEGO set would cut down the number of pages in the thread by half. IMO what Stash said was completely fair, and tbh I'm very surprised some obvious repeat offenders haven't been banned yet. Some members have even been lucky enough to be going in and out of the chamber a couple of times without being banned. I remember back in the day that when people were put in the chamber once, they changed for good or didn't come back. It's clearly not due to the mods, but the people posting. People nowadays don't seem to listen unless it's a hard warning or threat, I'm sure there were at least three warnings prior to Stash's post from other mods. It must be very frustrating to deal with this sort of behaviour on a forum meant for AFOLs.
I know if I was a moderator the ban hammer would be coming down hard, but that's why I'll never be a moderator. :grin:

Haha, no, I'd probably be the opposite- much too forgiving :tongue:

I've read most of the posts here over the past few days and it's a little ridiculous. Eurobricks is a good spot for information and I've been a member for a handful of years. Sometimes I wont post for over a years time but I still check in to see whats going on in the world of Lego. That being said this is a private site by membership only. There are a list of rules when joining and if you don't obey them you deal with the consequences. Its like if you got a job at a local convenience store. You agree to follow the rules with customer service and so on or the boss will come down on you. Its a very basic concept. I think people think that the internet is a place of free speech and that they can do whatever they want. This isn't the comment section at the end of an MSN article filled with racist and sexist remarks laced with profanity. The Moderators are the "boss" so to speak and they have the right to shoot down whatever they don't like or if they feel it breaks the rules. There is also a great deal of people that hide behind their computer looking to start trouble but if confronted in real life they would cower and not say a word. With that said does that mean I will never get myself in trouble here? No, but I am also an adult that understands that this is a private site, there are rules and if I break them then I deal with the MOD on their terms. I don't agree with all the rules either but It's not my site, I am just a member. Move on.

My apologies if you didn't like my post.

It wasn't a threat.  It was a promise to get things done!  This is an adult website that has adults posting.  If these adults cannot remember the proper way to go about posting, then I'm going to remind them.  It's direct and it's honest.  This is who I am; I do not have one personality in real life and another behind a keyboard.  Ask anyone who has interacted with me in the real world.

You, and all others, agreed to follow our guidelines when you joined up on the site.  Considering how many feelings I hurt when I chambered 12 members last time, some of whom still have not replied all because I took them to the side to have a private conversation,  I tried something different this time around.  Maybe I should have just scooped up the 8 problems I saw in the thread and chambered them?

I've been an umpire for over 20 years.  One thing I learned is you can't make all the people happy all of the time.  My job is to do the right thing and keep those threads as clean and flowing as possible.  I do my best to make decisions for the forum as a whole based on our rules and regulations.  Judging by many of the voices I see in this forum and the SW 2017 Rumors thread, I know there are plenty of members who appreciate what I and my fellow Moderators are doing.

Thank you EuroBricks.  Now, go log off and build something!!!

Moderators scared the crap out of me (only joking) you guys do have a sometimes difficult job, keeping order in the classroom. You do a good job :grin:

Seriously, almost two months and I haven't pissed anyone off?  This has gotta be a record for me!

Stumbled onto this thread and I just want to add my two cents. As a regular visitor to the Licensed and Star Wars forums, I've fallen foul of the off-topic rule in the Rumours threads on a couple occasions. It happens; I get too caught up in the thread. The thing is, with so many people posting in the Rumours threads, it's so easy to go off-topic.

But I appreciate that when I did go off-topic - I can't remember which forum it was - but a mod PM'ed me and noted that I was a long-time member who hasn't had a bad record, so he gave me a chance and didn't take any action. I'm thankful that I was given that chance; just an anecdote to everyone posting negative things about mods in this thread.

Also, while warnings are greatly appreciated, I note that it can be very tedious and time-consuming to give everyone a warning instead of suspending them immediately. So I do understand when mods suspend off-topic posters to 'clean up' a thread. It can be heavy-handed and harsh, but it's probably the most efficient way to do things. Mods have real lives to deal with as well; they can't constantly police threads. Plus it's not like we don't have threads to discuss (almost) everything under the sun - that's what the General Discussion and the Wishlist threads are for.

@Aethersprite

I agree with you in that the general discussion and wishlist threads are severely under-utilised. Every time in the Marvel thread, it goes of topic, Captain Nemo reminds everyone of the other thread but then no one uses it. Perhaps if these threads were pinned and not lost as they can be they'd be better used :sceptic:

@Stash2Sixx

For the record, it wasn't really a matter of pissing me off in particular, like Aethersprite, I don't have a bad track record. It was more so that I was trying to help others like @Jedi-Bendu and @VaderFan2187 out with their own qualms. I merely wanted to help people like them out. However, perhaps it would've been best to hold my tongue considering some others reactions. I feel your more outspoken personality is a factors which has lead to some incidents in the past, though I'm don't think you should have to change, you're the mod after all and this attitude has admittedly helped you police the SW thread. I hope you can keep your record up! (For both our sakes:tongue:)

Edited by Duncan Young

I have both expressed concerns and praise for the different modding styles I have seen on this site (much of that in this thread). Today though I saw something that shocked me; a New Member directly insulting the mods of one of the Rumor threads. I was shocked, and it is taking some will power to write about this here rather than try and mini-mod the offending member. Furthermore the arguing going on in the thread made it hard for me to access any of the actual rumor news, giving a new perspective to what the mods say about off topic posts burying the actual purpose of the thread. Seeing this has given me a new appreciation for what the Mods have accomplished here. While I don't think it is perfect, overall I feel the Mod Team's vision for the site is a good one. With that what I hope is to offer the opposite of what I saw in the offending post; praise instead of insult. For a team of volunteer mods to try and maintain such a large site is an impressive feature. Having moderated some social media pages myself, I have come to understand why the mod team here on Eurobricks sometimes has to lay the law here on this site to keep order and focus.

At the very least you all deserve a vote of thanks due to the eternal war against spam too! :laugh:

7 minutes ago, xboxtravis7992 said:

a New Member directly insulting the moderators of one of the Rumor threads.

What thread is it in? I would like to see that

Just now, Arctic_Ace said:

Where the arguments usually are. 

Yeah, I'm sorry you guys have to deal with that crap. It's undeserved. Honestly, there's a lot of us silently rooting for you, and not saying anything in order to avoid derailing the topic. Thanks for your hard volunteer work.

2 hours ago, Arctic_Ace said:

I'll give you one guess?  In case you didn't already guess...it's in the 2017 Star Wars thread!

It actually happens quite often @xboxtravis7992.  Some keyboard warrior feels the need to upset the flow of the thread (usually Star Wars 201? thread) with their own personal attack against a Mod (most of the time it's me) for doing my job OR not doing my job according to their standards.  And you know what, that's ok.  People are entitled to their opinions.  What I think they tend to forget is that they are just that...THEIR opinions!  The people that continue to throw off the thread with comments of  'Haha!' or 'Hilarious!' are just contributing to the problem.  I get plenty of PMs and messages in here that you guys (and girls) are appreciative of the work we do.  So thank you to all of you.

If people have an issue with a thread or a Moderator, make a report and let us know!  Those of you that want to defend us...I appreciate it, I really do.  But keep it in here.  No need to post in the thread with the original comment.  With all of the people on this site, everything is found in due time.

1 hour ago, Stash2Sixx said:

I'll give you one guess?  In case you didn't already guess...it's in the 2017 Star Wars thread!

It actually happens quite often @xboxtravis7992.  Some keyboard warrior feels the need to upset the flow of the thread (usually Star Wars 201? thread) with their own personal attack against a Mod (most of the time it's me) for doing my job OR not doing my job according to their standards.  

Is there a reason that thread gets so derailed time after time? I hope a different system will be used for 2018, but why does that thread seem to get more cluttered than other rumor threads?