sixf00t4

Glue, UV, and other heresy for large sculpture

I built a lampost for my house and I want to know how best to protect it. Does anyone recommend a UV protector clear coat? How about a glue for the ~6 foot tall lampost? It's pretty much all red 2x4 bricks. I'm thinking about clear silicon sealant on the interior to try to protect it from the elements a bit. I do plan to wire it up with a working light.

LEGOLAND uses M.E.K. for glue. I believe acetone will also fuse ABS plastic together.

Sorry, didn't have notifications on, so I never got any updates.

CSQf5RLWcAAZkZJ.jpg

LEGOLAND uses M.E.K. for glue. I believe acetone will also fuse ABS plastic together.

interesting...

so I'm looking at $20 http://www.essentialhardware.com/sunnyside-84732-methyl-ethyl-ketone-160580.html?utm_campaign=google&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&gclid=Cj0KEQjwqsyxBRCIxtminsmwkMABEiQAzL34PY6Wh2_PuWpf11CgxGuPRvqaX79Ev7l5iRDzXJ-LdloaAtYv8P8HAQ

or $10 http://www.amazon.com/Rust-Oleum-Automotive-248667-32-Ounce-Acetone/dp/B003Y8DI4K/ref=pd_sim_60_4?ie=UTF8&dpID=51CHxX50YDL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR98%2C160_&refRID=0Q95ER30D53HMPA4SX28

from the first link, it seems MEK is slower to dry...maybe that helps with the time to place the bricks and leaving the lid off as you build? very interesting option though, since it's available cheaply at large quantity, where super glue/kragle is not.

how about UV protection?

GBL and they get UV protection from local body shops. MEK is not slow to dry, it's slow to melt the pieces together. It evaproates quickly as it is spirit based. I worked for the parks. So that's what Merlin does anyway. I'm pretty sure LEGO uses GBL as well. The Denmark shop does and they started out as a LEGO facility.

GBL is federally regulated and not available to consumers. If you use MEK make sure you are well ventilated. You need to speak to the people at a body shop to convince them it's possible to coat a LEGO structure.

Thats a nice house you have there. As much as I adore your passion for the brick…….I'm not convinced a bright red lampost out the front is what you house needs…..

But I look forward to seeing how this progresses.

Who said anything about Acetone? Acetone mixed with a glue is a solvent. You use the solvent mixture to cut through the grease. The main ingredient is acetone which is not a glue. MEK is the only glue (besides GBL, an MEK variant) which will glue ABS. It fuses the pieces together. It is a crazy heavy chemical that actually melts the compound together. You don't want any mixtures, nothing mixed with acetone.

Try this: MEK

what would be the application technique? just coat it after it's built? put drops on each brick as it is layed?

MEK should be applied between the studs on the "dirty" side of the build, meaning the inside. Anything that leaks over the edge towards the outside, which is viewable, will melt the brick in the shape of the drip and look terrible. UV coating will cover small mistakes but you don't want to damage the outside of the brick. So, apply the MEK between the studs (hopefully you are using 2x brick). Then the UV coating is applied to the outside of the model once the glue has dried, which shouldn't take too long, considering it is spirit based and evaporates quickly.

Make sure you glue in a well vented area and let the model dry in a well vented area. The fumes will get trapped inside the model and pour out into your brain when you move it, otherwise. Perhaps buy a ventilator mask, a dust mask will not help you.

Did Dr. Spock work for LEGOLAND and design models for the parks? NO. I did. Acetone is not a glue.

I found this, a discussion on acetone for gluing ABS, but I personally think it's nuts. At the parks we used GBL or MEK. The guys who were out in the field all the time preferred MEK. The product you linked to is a solvent, designed to clean. If you want to use acetone, feel free but make sure it is the lower percentage in the mix. If you have more acetone than glue, it is a solvent. Hell, give it a shot. I think, as interested as Merlin is in saving money, if acetone was an effective glue, they'd be using it. Most sources I found, by searching on google for five minutes, say that acetone alone is not enough to melt the elements together, nor does it create a tight seal. Why don't you purchase some products and start finding out for yourself? Do some research and let us know how it goes.