Sandy

Heroica RPG - Quest#142: Day of the Triffid

heroicaquest142.jpg

It was a brisk autumn day when four rookie heroes of Heroica made their way up the Sungold Hill and into the park known as the Hanging Gardens. Their employer, a young mage, was already waiting for them.

heroicaquest142-hanginggardens1.jpg

heroicaquest124-waldorf.jpg

"There you are! Is this everybody? I'm Waldorf, the arbormancer gardener of this park. Did you happen to see a man-sized moving plant monster with razor-sharp teeth on your way here? It attacked me yesterday right around here. If it hadn't tripped on my Wandrake, I would've been a goner for sure!"

The arbormancer glanced around nervously.

Party:

19745451253_0970632efb_m.jpgEzeran Yavarr (MysticModulus)

42 year old male human mage

Level 5 *Absorbs darkness*

Power: 12 (5+7)

Defense: 1

Health: 9/9 (5+4)

Ether: 9/9 (5+4)

Gold: 25

Equipment: Ancient Sapphamber Staff (WP:7, doubled against Ancient enemies, Wind-elemental; staff), Hood of the Elementalist (SP:1, *Absorbs darkness*; headwear, suitable to anyone)

Inventory: Staff infested with demonic slime (WP 3), 2x Potion, 2x Grand Tonic, 2x Remedy. Emerald (Wood), Ruby (Fire), Ebony Scorpion Dagger (WP:5, deals Poisoned-by-3; dagger), Bedroll.

photo-thumb-43982.jpg?_r=1438604472Torald Waruelf (Alfadas)

20 year old male Human Barbarian

Level 4

Power: 9 (4+5)

Defense: 3

Health: 11/11 (8+3)

Gold: 70

Equipment: Ebony Scorpion Spear (WP:5, deals Poisoned-by-3; spear), Tricorne (SP:3, headwear; suitable to anyone)

Inventory: Gaia Blade (WP:5, Wood-elemental, ignores defenses of foes weak to Wood, gems cannot be merged into or removed from the weapon; greatsword), Ignis Blade (WP:5, Fire-elemental, ignores SP of foes weak to Fire, gems cannot be merged into or removed from the weapon; greatsword), Old and Rusty Greatsword (WP: 3), Potion, Mead, Tiger Balm, Fire Bomb, Aeolus Bomb (Deals 100 wind-elemental damage to all opponents when used.), Phoenix essence, Crocodile belt (Max. Health +2; accessory.)

petaldan_parfenius.jpgPaladin Petaldan Parfenius (Palathadric)

5-year-old male "wonder" Knight

Level: 1

Power: 4 (1+3)

Defense: 2

Health: 10/10

Gold: 5

Equipment: Daugslyr (WP:3; Greatsword), Racamia (SP: 2; Shield)

Inventory: Potion, Bedroll

ava-windus.jpg Dr. Windus (Windusky)

29 yrs old human Cleric

Level 1

Defense: 0

Health: 9/9

Ether: 5/5

Gold: 0

Equipment: Diamond Staff (WP: 3)

Inventory: 1 Potion, 1 Remedy, Shovel

QM Note: Here we go! Sorry about the delay.

Ezeran looks at the arbomancer and then at the immediate surroundings. "My name is Ezeran, before we get down to business I must say you've done a splendid work with your Salix babylonica, I've rarely seen one so tall. You seem to have a fair collection of maginificent Magnoliaceae as well. However I've not noticed any moving plants lurking about. Would you care to take on deep breath and explain what this is all about? I've got some experience with plants but I need more information: any vicious tendrils sharp as knives? Strangling roots? Hooked barbs?" The symbiont suddenly coughs. "Yeah that's right, how about poisons?" Ezeran looks down at his symbiont. "I probably should have taken those protective googles with me..."

Ezeran helps Waldorf to sit down.

"You just take a big good breath and give us so much information as you can. By the way is Dr. Cula involved in this somehow?"

Edited by MysticModulus

Windus gazes around the gardens. "My name is Windus, but you may call me Doctor Windus." he said, giving a slight bow to Waldorf. "As a matter of fact, i did see a large sunflower on my way over, if that helps with anything. If you don't mind, could i plant a hole in the ground with my shovel? If the gardens are too sacred, i can leave it be."

Edited by Windusky

"Howdy, my name is Torald Waruelf, but call me Torald please." He listens to Ezeran babbling about plants with very strange names and he looks around a bit. "Nope, sorry, not seeing any moving plants. But your other plants do look very nice. People always think I don't like nature, just because I am a Barbarian. But that doesn't mean I can't like nature, right?"

Ezeran turns to Torald with a warm smile on his face. "You are right of course, you don't need to know the name of something to appreciate its beauty! Glad you're here friend!"

Ezeran nods to Doctor Windus. "It's an honour to make your aquiantance my dear Doctor, you seem like an able man. Say do you know a thing or two about poisonous plants? I believe we will encounter some of it before this is over..."

Windus nods to Ezeran. "I do know of a few, Fermentues, Achiledes, and a few others. If any of you happen to get an illness, i can treat it. Say, that's an interesting... thing you have on your stomach. Mind i ask what it is?"

Edited by Windusky

"You just take a big good breath and give us so much information as you can. By the way is Dr. Cula involved in this somehow?"

"Wow, you know a lot about plants! I'm especially proud of my Aquilegia formosa. As you see, the color scheme here is bright yellows and fiery reds, according to this autumnal season. The nobles walking around this park want to see flowers blooming no matter what time of the year it is, and that's where I come in. But I can't really tell anything else about the incident, only that it was a huge carnivorous plant that jumped at me yesterday.

Are you talking about Doctor Cula from the alchemist's guild? I have no idea..."

"As a matter of fact, i did see a large sunflower on my way over, if that helps with anything. If you don't mind, could i plant a hole in the ground with my shovel? If the gardens are too sacred, i can leave it be."

"I do a lot of digging around here, as do certain other individuals, so by all means, use your shovel if you think it's useful somehow."

"People always think I don't like nature, just because I am a Barbarian. But that doesn't mean I can't like nature, right?"

"On the contrary, I've read that savages - no offense - are much closer to nature than us civi... ehm, city-dwelling people."

At that moment, someone called out to Waldorf.

heroicaquest142-hanginggardens2.jpg

"My sweet Annabelle! You must beware, for a monster is lurking around here somewhere! I've hired these heroes to get rid of it, but you must return home."

The noble girl smiled at the group and ruffled her poodle's woolly head.

heroicaquest142-annabelle.jpg

"Nonsense, Dorfie! My Frau-frau hasn't made her wee-wee yet."

Windus greets Annabelle. "Waldorf, perhaps you could lead us to the last location in which you spotted the monster?" he asked, planting his shovel in the ground, digging up a chunk of dirt.

"On the contrary, I've read that savages - no offense - are much closer to nature than us civi... ehm, city-dwelling people."

"Very funny" Torald says with a slight sparkle of joy in his eyes. "Howdy, Annabelle, Nice to meet you"

Windus nods to Ezeran. "I do know of a few, Fermentues, Achiledes, and a few others. If any of you happen to get an illness, i can treat it. Say, that's an interesting... thing you have on your stomach. Mind i ask what it is?"

"Good, you seem to know a lot! Let's hope it won't come in handy... " Ezeran looks down at the symbiont. "Well, that's kind of a long story, it's basically a demonic symbiont that I've had since birth. It isn't as bad as it looks, I came to terms with it a long time ago, others are not that tolerant though..."

"Wow, you know a lot about plants! I'm especially proud of my Aquilegia formosa. As you see, the color scheme here is bright yellows and fiery reds, according to this autumnal season. The nobles walking around this park want to see flowers blooming no matter what time of the year it is, and that's where I come in. But I can't really tell anything else about the incident, only that it was a huge carnivorous plant that jumped at me yesterday.

"I was an aspiring botanist once in a time..." Ezeran pauses for a second or two as if he suddenly remembers something "By the way I haven't noticed any Amaranthus tricolor, they would fit right in!"

"That's quite rude! Let me assure you that Torald is far from your stereotyped barbarian!"

"Nonsense, Dorfie! My Frau-frau hasn't made her wee-wee yet."

The symbiont suddenly grins. "Oh no you don't" Ezeran whispers to him. "Good day to you Annabelle! Waldorf is right, either you take your dear dog inside or you might risk an encounter of a most grisly kind." Ezeran turns to the others and whispers... "We could use that furball as bait...."

Windus greets Annabelle. "Waldorf, perhaps you could lead us to the last location in which you spotted the monster?" he asked, planting his shovel in the ground, digging up a chunk of dirt.

"That's an excellent idea, we have to start somewhere!"

Edited by MysticModulus

"Good, you seem to know a lot! Let's hope it won't come in handy... " Ezeran looks down at the symbiont. "Well, that's kind of a long story, it's basically a demonic symbiont that I've had since birth. It isn't as bad as it looks, I came to terms with it a long time ago, others are not that tolerant though..."

"If you would like, i could remove the symbiont. It wouldn't be a problem, just a few holy rituals."

As he dug the ground, Dr. Windus discovered 10 gold among the dirt.

"It pays the trouble to dig around an area frequented by the rich folk", Waldorf remarked with a wink. Suddenly something jumped over the brick wall behind Annabelle and her dog. Something with long vines and a gaping mouth.

"Annabelle, behind you!"

heroicaquest142-hanginggardens3.jpg

heroicaquest142-annabelle2.jpg

"Eek!"

heroicaquest142-triffid.jpg

"Treef! Feed!"

Before the party could react, Waldorf was already leaping up the stairs to save his girl. However, the plant monster jumped over Annabelle and gulped down the poor mage in one fell swoop. Only Waldorf's face was left visible.

heroicaquest142-hanginggardens4.jpg

heroicaquest142-triffidwaldorf.jpg

"Treef! Help me! Treef!"

heroicaquest142-annabelle2.jpg

"Please! Do something!"

The party was faced with the terrible monster that was obviously out of their league.

PREPARE FOR BATTLE!

Enemy:

heroicaquest142-triffidwaldorf.jpg???

*Absorbs Wood* *Wood-elemental attacks* *Immune to poisoned, bleeding, petrified, doomed and sudden death*

Type: Plant

Level: 12

Health: 1212/1212

Special: Cough Up – The monster releases its victim and flees the battle.

Drops: 2 Wild Vines (WP:6, causes bound-effect, wood-elemental whip), Demeter Bomb (100 wood-elemental damage to all enemies)

Party:

42 year old male human mage *Party Leader*

Level 5 *Absorbs darkness*

Power: 12 (5+7)

Health: 9/9 (5+4)

Ether: 9/9 (5+4)

Equipment: Ancient Sapphamber Staff (WP:7, doubled against Ancient enemies, Wind-elemental; staff), Hood of the Elementalist (SP:1, *Absorbs darkness*; headwear, suitable to anyone)

Inventory: Staff infested with demonic slime (WP 3), 2x Potion, 2x Grand Tonic, 2x Remedy. Emerald (Wood), Ruby (Fire), Ebony Scorpion Dagger (WP:5, deals Poisoned-by-3; dagger), Bedroll.

Level 4

Power: 9 (4+5)

Health: 11/11 (8+3)

Equipment: Ebony Scorpion Spear (WP:5, deals Poisoned-by-3; spear), Tricorne (SP:3, headwear; suitable to anyone)

Inventory: Gaia Blade (WP:5, Wood-elemental, ignores defenses of foes weak to Wood, gems cannot be merged into or removed from the weapon; greatsword), Ignis Blade (WP:5, Fire-elemental, ignores SP of foes weak to Fire, gems cannot be merged into or removed from the weapon; greatsword), Old and Rusty Greatsword (WP: 3), Potion, Mead, Tiger Balm, Fire Bomb, Aeolus Bomb (Deals 100 wind-elemental damage to all opponents when used.), Phoenix essence, Crocodile belt (Max. Health +2; accessory.)

Level: 1

Health: 10/10

29 yrs old human Cleric

Level 1

Health: 9/9

Ether: 5/5

Gold: 10

I will take the back row, and will cast a destruction spell at the monster.

"Pleased to meet you. I am Sir Petaldan Parfenius. Here to be of service. We shall surely destroy this fiendish foe for you, my good sir! By the way, are you sure it was a plant and not an animal disguised as a plant?"

Turning to Windus,

"It is good to have a doctor on the team."

"If you would like, i could remove the symbiont. It wouldn't be a problem, just a few holy rituals."

Ezeran starts to laugh. "I do appreciate your offer but no man can break this bond, it was made by powers beyond our understanding in a demonic realm man seldom fathoms. You are not the first one to offer help but I'm grateful none the less! Besides, It's part of me and it might seen ironic but it helps me remember I'm only human, for better and for worse..."

Taken aback by the turn of events, Parfenius can only just swing his sword at wizard-devouring monster.

"That animal in your tummy won't eat us, will it? Maybe it's the child of this other monster?"

Ezeran raises an eyebrow. "Well, that was quiet a surprise..." He shouts to the paladin "Nice to have you aboard" before throwing a fire spell at the monster from the back row.

Battle order:

Torald

Ezeran

Windus

Petaldan

I will take the back row, and will cast a destruction spell at the monster.

QM Note: As a cleric, you do not have any destructive spells at your disposal. Your options are attacking (from either front or back row), healing or using an item.

heroicarules8.jpg

QM Note: As a cleric, you do not have any destructive spells at your disposal. Your options are attacking (from either front or back row), healing or using an item.

heroicarules8.jpg

Windus will take the back row, and attack. (by destruction, i meant a spell that would cause damage.) Edited by Windusky

As a cleric, you can't "cast" anything. You can just attack with the Diamond Staff and choose whether to do so from the front row or the back row. :classic:

I have a staff to cast damage-dealing magic, otherwise i would've used a different weapon.

I have a staff to cast damage-dealing magic, otherwise i would've used a different weapon.

QM Note: You can imbue elemental gems (like a diamond) into your staff once you get one, but unfortunately you cannot start with an elemental weapon. You staff is just a plain melee weapon for now.

Results of Round One of the Garden Battle:

Torald vs. ??? - Extra Critical Hit (???: 1212 health-19 dmg=1193 health)

>Ezeran (Fire) vs. ??? - Great Spell (???: 1193 health-(19x2=38 dmg)=1155 health; Ezeran: -1 ether)

>Windus vs. ??? - Special Damage (Cough Up - ??? flees)

>Petaldan vs. ???

Torald and Ezeran manage to get some hits on the monster before it coughs up Waldorf and runs away.

THE BATTLE IS VICTORIOUS!

All party members gain a level!

"Phew! Another close call!"

Party:

42 year old male human mage *Party Leader*

Level 6 *Absorbs darkness*

Power: 13 (6+7)

Health: 10/10 (5+5)

Ether: 9/10 (5+5)

Level 5

Power: 10 (5+5)

Health: 12/12 (8+4)

Level: 2

Power: 5 (2+3)

Health: 11/11 (10+1)

29 yrs old human Cleric

Level 2

Power: 5 (2+3)

Health: 10/10 (9+1)

Ether: 6/6 (5+1)

Gold: 10

Ezeran helps Waldorf get up on his feet. "Are you okay? Make sure to rid your robe and skin from any nasty digestive enzymes!"

Ezeran turns to others. "That monster was far more sturdier than I would have believed... What are your thoughts on this... thing? Maybe we could track it through these flowerbeds somehow?"

"That went well."

Edited by Palathadric